Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BradyGames GW2 Digital Strategy Guide?

tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Anyone read through it yet? Is it worth the purchase?

Thanks.

Comments

• NateEssexNateEssex Member UncommonPosts: 58

I was tempted, but didn't bite the bullet.

I was waiting for at least 1 review...

Current: GW2 (almost)
    Played: EQ, DAoC,EQOA,Shadowbane,WoW, WAR, SWTOR, TSW

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Those guides are never worth it. There is an official wiki for GW2, not mention dozens of fan sites.

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422

I went ahead and bought the digital one.  I'll let you know if it was worth it.

Off the bat it has about 20 pages of lore that gives similar depth as Potato's free youtube videos.

I'll say this, I don't use strategy guides as a wiki, but as a book to be read and enjoyed when you are away from the computer (such as waiting at a doctor's appointment or flying).

• Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222

I remember buying one of those when DAOC first came out before free websites gave all that information away.

Why would anyone buy those anymore?

I'm enjoying this guide and would recommend it to anyone that plans to spend a little time away from GW2 but would still like to be in the game so to speak.

As other's have mentioned, wiki and player guides will take the place of this on the desktop.

If you don't plan on being away from the game for any length of time over the next month, then its probably best to skip this.

I would value this (if a player wrote it I would donate to them after reading) $10.

Summary

• Worth Paying for (146 Pages)
      • Lore and Back Story (21 Pages)
      • Game Basics (125 Pages)
    • Nice to Have but would not pay for (141 Pages)
      • Detailed Profession Info (141 pages)
    • Worthless, would prefer it not take up space (203 Pages)
      • Starting area Walkthrough (13 pages)
      • Monster Information (17 pages)
      • Map Overview (169 pages)
      • Interviews (4 pages)

Contents:

• Lore and Back Story (21 Pages)
      • This section was a great great read.  I enjoyed how they hit the highlights of the full history leading up to today.
      • I've seen all the potato movies, I played GW1 Nightfall/Factions (very little of the origininal though) and EotN, and I've read the 2 released book.  Thus, there was very little these pages brought me that was new, but they did give a different spin/look on a few familiar events.
    • Basics of the Game (125 Pages)
      • This section I mostly glanced through at first, and later when I had free time away from the comp I read through it.
      • I have to say, well done.  It covers EVERY aspect of game play and explains EVERY mechanic / feature of the game.
      • This also covers a bunch of MMO basics for those who are new.
      • To be honest, if a Player wrote these 87 pages and threw it on the forum, it would be hands down the most thourough detailed guide (more detailed than the currently linked one).
      • If they asked for a donation after reading, I would be inclined to give them $5-$10 for this section alone.
    • Walkthrough of starting instance (13 pages)
      • Useless section, I agree with most that this is part of exploring and really is not needed as the game already guides you through this well enough.
    • Detailed Profession Info (141 pages)
      • A very detailed section on each profession.
      • Covers things like race skills as well.
      • A nice chart for ranger pets.
      • Tells you about all the weapons/skills and gives examples of good use for them.
      • Overall, well written, but this is the part of the book everyone says go to the Wiki for and they would be right.  Right now its accurate and its great having them all in one spot.  I actually have my 9 year old read the specific sections on class / weapon before she can use those in game so that she can have a better understanding.
      • I'm torn, it was a great read, but again, this is the wiki section.
    • Crafting (N/A)
      • This section was kinda out of order, I moved its pages into the 'Basics of the Game' above as that is where it fits better.
    • Monsters (17 pages)
      • To be honest, a waisted section.  It gives a short tip how to fight most common monsters, but this is a wiki section and it doesn't give you enough that I don't even have my daughter read it when she has problems.
    • PvP (N/A)
      • I moved these pages into the 'basics' section again.  Was a great read, and I do understand them moving this to its own area as for a casual gamer PvP can be scarry.
      • All the comments given in the basics apply here.
    • The World (169 pages)
      • This is another Wiki section that I won't use much and if I did need info I would find it faster searching a wiki than flipping through the pages.
      • You'll notice once you hit level 24-25 that it goes from detailed info on each point on the map to a basic overview of the map.  They mention this in the advertisment, but it was most evident here.
    • Dungeons (N/A)
      • This would be another, moved to basics section.
    • Interviews (4 pages)
      • Not worth a mention

I should add:

Digital or Physical?

I bought the Digital and while its great to load up on our Kindle Fire when we are away, I do feel some regret that we did not opt for a physical version.

This guide shines away from a computer.  Its not good enough that I would buy a physical copy in addition to my digital version, but if you want this guide after reading my review, I recommend a physical copy (plus, sometimes they come with the digital version anyway).

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Thankyou madbomber83!

The info you shared on the guide was brilliant, I decided to buy the digital guide and I have to say I'm impressed with the first hand info it contains. Lots of lore and info on everything, especially like the into on the games class abilities, really helps me get an idea of a class before I try it. Maps and crafting info is lacking though sadly.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by maddbomber83

I'll say this, I don't use strategy guides as a wiki, but as a book to be read and enjoyed when you are away from the computer (such as waiting at a doctor's appointment or flying).

Can never have too much bathroom reading

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

I'll say this, I don't use strategy guides as a wiki, but as a book to be read and enjoyed when you are away from the computer

You bought the digital strategy guide, to read as a bok when you are away from your computer.

Well done.

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

I'll say this, I don't use strategy guides as a wiki, but as a book to be read and enjoyed when you are away from the computer

You bought the digital strategy guide, to read as a bok when you are away from your computer.

Well done.

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Well done.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I'm not in love with the wiki (it's having technical issues and the layout isn't my favorite) so bought the physical copy of the strat guide for $10, great purchase.  I use it for bedtime reading.  I find the profession skill list and descriptions have helped me quite a bit.  They help describe what the ability does and a little damage rating. 

Overall, a great purchase for little money.

Originally posted by tachgb

Well done.

^^^^^^^

I loaded the PDF on my kindle fire.  Get with the times man ; ).