Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the Launch of GW2 becoming a Disaster?

Comments

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    That's the way the cookie crumbles. It could be worse. And besides we dont' neeed an offical forum when we have this website and other fansites.
  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    Launch becoming a disaster? Absolutely not.  I've played real launch disasters..this is far from it.  All of those are somewhat minor issues that some people haven't even come across (except for trading post) , which hopefully will be up tonight.  Dont be a negative nancy, just play :)

I agree, hacked accounts within the first 5 days is really small potatoes.  :/  

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by fyerwall

And the overflow server isn't a new system. Many games these days use split instancing to handle zone populations in the same manner.

Except that isn't what overflow servers are.

So I guess it is a new system. :T

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Atlan99

1) No forums.

Don't Care, Doesn't effect the Game

2)Trading Post down

Yes. Sucks

3)Mail System taken down sporadically

No Issues with it what so ever. been playing for 5 days now

4)Rubberbanding/Lag Issues

Never, EVER, happened once to me

5)Accounts Hacked/Accounts Banned

No idea. This is the first I have heard of it

6)Little Accountability/Support

Haven't Needed it.

7)Bugged Guild Tabs/WvWvW Tabs

Nope. not an issue here.

This launch seems to get worse with every passing day and Arenanet's ability to cope seems in question. Is this launch starting to spin out of control and become a disaster?

The other thing that seems very troubling, is having to go to third parties to find out what is going on.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by Meowhead

And the overflow server isn't a new system. Many games these days use split instancing to handle zone populations in the same manner.

Except that isn't what overflow servers are.

So I guess it is a new system. :T

Thats exactly what they are - they redirect your character to a temporary server when the main server is full. Only real difference from other games is the fact its not tied directly to the main server and you cannot at will just hop to instance A or B. Instead you have to wait till the que counter clicks to your number and you have an option of staying or moving. Just because Anet tweaked it to be slightly different does not make it a "new" system

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

OP,

I'm not saying any of your points are false, although I don't have any performance problems on the very highest settings, but your view on things begs the question if you're a pessimistic type of person. While all those things are true, I'm still having a good experience.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Thats exactly what they are - they redirect your character to a temporary server when they main server is full. Only real difference from other games is the fact its not tied directly to the main server and you cannot at will just hop to instance A or B. Instead you have to wait till the que counter clicks to your number and you have an option of staying or moving. Just because Anet tweaked it to be slightly different does not make it a "new" system

It's multiple servers feeding into the overflow servers though, they're not an instance, it's literally another server accepting the extra people from other servers.  People are being funneled out of their server to another, then back again.

Which is why it's having problems with people joining, if it was just instances built into the same server,  it'd be a lot easier to get to work.

They had it working in beta (After the first weekend, anyway)  and during stress tests, so they DO have a solution to it, but something (I'm guessing the really heavy population) is making it not work.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Loving the game so far. I am sure arenanet will compensate us with a free gift or something for the broker being down. I heard it was taken down due to some guy getting 82k in gold with a dupe. Can't confirm but that is what I heard. The only issue I have is I love PVP. I have been sitting in queue for almost 2 hours a friend and I waiting to get into WvWvW on our server. That kind of sucks. Hope they fix that soon because it is out of hand to have to wait that long.
  • xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

1) meh, don't care

2) meh, don't care, it'll be up soon enough

3) minor inconvenience, lasted a very short time

4) none experienced here

5) source?

6) source?

7) haven't experienced this

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    Launch becoming a disaster? Absolutely not.  I've played real launch disasters..this is far from it.  All of those are somewhat minor issues that some people haven't even come across (except for trading post) , which hopefully will be up tonight.  Dont be a negative nancy, just play :)

I agree, hacked accounts within the first 5 days is really small potatoes.  :/  

Because people utilizing poor account security is ArenaNet's fault, right?

It's a fact that most people use the same email account for most of their internet activity. It's also a fact that a lot of people use the same password for everything. SOE, Blizzard, and I believe Cryptic as well, got hacked recently and their account databases were stolen. It's not hard for someone to brute force the launcher with those email/password combinations, I can guarantee you that some of them will be a hit.

• JackSmthJackSmth Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by JackSmth
    Originally posted by Nevulus

Over the weekend I was extremely upset at the lag, the overflow issues, the bugged storyline quests and the unreliable customer support, BUT I am still having fun.

Customer support's answer to my troubles were "try a different character class or storyline combination and switch servers"

It was NOT what I expected, BUT by the beginning of the week a lot of the lag & rubber banding issues  have been addressed to an extent. My thief's storyline was able to be completed. And the random disconnects have stopped happening.

I still have problems grouping with friends. Yes the overflow instance is a mess and further antagonizes grouping with friends, but I am having a blast with my character/gameplay/exploration. So I do not think the game is a complete disaster. It just had the usual ruff edges.

Overflow instances, grouping, mail & trading post are still a problem. Nevertheless, great game so far.

You realise that that if there wasn't an overflow system you were not even able to play and were staring at a queue with xxxx amount of players instead. So far I know ArenaNet is the first mmo developer that comes with a solution that eliminates them.

The overflow zone you enter is the queue now and you can play just like you were playing solo on your "real" server.

I agree that it should be possible to eneter the same overflow as your friend(s) and/or guildmembers so you could still group up with them but since this is a new system they need some time to tweak it

I don't think it's much to do with the idea of the overflow server as it is to do with the fact that it wasn't properly tested before headstart/launch to ensure the grouping issue would not exist as it does. And while yes, there are ways around the issue, one way (Join) doesn't really work either and the other (meeting up in LA) is just a pain sometimes.

I think you are wrong here, I've played a handful of mmo's using layers of the same zone like AOC, AION and SWTOR. Those layers are all on that same server while the overflow server has nothing to do with your chosen server where you made your character on except that it is connected in a web of servers and function as a waiting room for players till its their turn to join their chosen server.

While you enter the overflow you might meet people from other servers in your region (EU/US) that are waiting for a free spot on their server. Since I'm dutch I play on one of the english EU servers and met germans, french and spanish players in overflow, and they were all waiting for their own server of their language (we have GE, FR, ES & EN servers here in the EU).

I've never seen a system like this in any other mmo yet! when you got placed in/or change instance on one of the games I mentioned above you will only find people of that same server. When that server is full, you are queued at the login screen and you are unable to play while waiting.

• FarstryderFarstryder Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Originally posted by Zezda

Game is perfectly playable. I've not had any major issues aside from the trading post being down.

When you understand the way their systems work and the difference between this game and others like SW:TOR or WoW then you can appreciate a bit more just how smoothly everything is going.

^^ LoL True fan boy. I love how people are being so hypocritcal about this  launch if this was Swtor  it would be ripped to shreds doom calling and everyone quit free to play by the end of the week. Wait it is free to play....isn't it? ( Sarcasm)

Farstryder,

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by cahenderson
    Originally posted by observer
     Trading Post and Mail errors are game-breaking issues.

/facepalm

They are though.  We can't trade with other players unless we use the Mail system.  The economy and crafting rely on Trading Post.  So take your /facepalm somewhere else please. :)

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

This is the current status of the most important issues we're tracking with Guild Wars 2 live service.

Account security - We're seeing an uptick in reports of account theft and attempted account theft. We believe hackers are using databases of email addresses and passwords stolen from other games and web sites, and pre-existing trojan horses, to search for matching Guild Wars 2 accounts which they attempt to compromise. To prevent this, we have temporarily disabled the "reset password" feature, and we're working to bring email authentication online. To protect yourself, please ensure that you use a unique password for Guild Wars 2 that you don't use for any other game, email account, forum or web account.

Email authentication - Email authentication is a feature that notifies you if someone tries to log into your account from a location you've never logged in from before. Thus, even if someone guesses your game password, he can't log in unless he also guesses your email account password. You can make email authentication even more secure by using an email provider that supports two-factor authentication, such as Google or Yahoo, and taking advantage of that. We're currently preparing email authentication and intend to deploy it in a phased rollout, starting on Thursday, August 30.

Parties, guilds, etc. - Parties, guilds, and other social features are periodically failing. This causes issues such as party members not appearing on the map, and party members not staying in the same overflow servers as they travel between maps. This happens particularly during times of peak usage. We're working to fix related problems and mitigate this issue with each subsequent update.

Worlds - Many worlds are filling up. We're keeping the number of worlds constrained so that worlds stay well populated even after the initial surge of high concurrency. However, we will add worlds as necessary. As of Wednesday, August 30, all German language worlds are full and all French language worlds are at high usage, so we're adding two new German language worlds and one new French language world.

Overflow worlds - During this initial surge of high concurrency, and especially while many characters are low-level and thus playing in the same starting areas, it's common for players to be directed to overflow maps. If you want to play with a friend, but you’re not on the same overflow map, you can form a party together, then right-click on your friend's portrait in the party list and click "join". Note that this functionality is sometimes intermittently unavailable due to the "parties, guilds, etc." issues noted above.

Trading Post - We're working to bring the Trading Post back online. To help test, we've temporarily made it available to a random 15% of players, while we work to resolve remaining capacity constraints that will allow us to open it to everyone.

Edit: We have completed our live testing of the Trading Post for today and the Trading Post is now in maintenance for all players. Thank you everyone that participated; this test has helped us tremendously.

In-game mail - We detected a potential abuse of the in-game mail system and have temporarily disabled in-game mail to prevent any such abuse. We'll reenable it soon, hopefully in tonight's update.

Botting - We'll start substantial banning of bots on Wednesday, August 29. Since we're currently seeing widespread casual, unsophisticated botting, we will start with 72-hour bans for first offenses. In the coming days, as we address the casual botting problem, we plan to switch to our normal policy of permanently banning anyone who runs a bot.

Forums - Our most important priority at the moment is to ensure that the game runs stably and flawlessly. So as to not create additional demand on our infrastructure and on our programming team, we made the decision not to open the forums until the initial mass influx of players has calmed down a bit.

Next software updates - The next update of the game server and back-end server software will take place tonight at midnight Seattle time. The game may be unavailable for approximately 20-60 minutes while we perform the update. We expect this update to have fixes for email authentication and in-game mail. Our continued work on the Trading Post is not tied to game updates, so we will continue to test Trading Post updates throughout the day.

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

To all the fans defending the problems with GW2: In the future, you must apply the same standards to other MMOs. If, for example, a new MMO launches that 1) is not GW2, and 2) does not have a working AH, you must not flame that MMO as terrible and a failure.

In other words, for the rest of your MMO gaming career, do not be a hypocrite.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

It's multiple servers feeding into the overflow servers though, they're not an instance, it's literally another server accepting the extra people from other servers.  People are being funneled out of their server to another, then back again.

Which is why it's having problems with people joining, if it was just instances built into the same server,  it'd be a lot easier to get to work.

They had it working in beta (After the first weekend, anyway)  and during stress tests, so they DO have a solution to it, but something (I'm guessing the really heavy population) is making it not work.

It is a virtual instance regardless of how the hardware is implemented, and it doesn't matter if it was working in beta, since it isn't working now.  

There is nothing really new about GW2.  It is WOW clone with a PvP twist.  Not saying it is a bad thing, but I don't get why players are claiming everything that Anet has implemented is a " first " for the industry.     

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by itgrowls

how quickly we forget Error 37...yeah.

the single most blown out of proportion thing in gaming history.  But the same type of people that jumped all over that will jump all over something as ridiculously insignificant as mail servers coming down:  people just looking for a reason to trash a game.

Launch of GW2: not perfect.

However, the issues are relatively minor as the game is extremely playable.  Considering there are no queues, of the three games that launched with this amount of volume I would say GW2 is EASILY the best of the three (SWTOR and WoW being the other 2 similar volume games)

Originally posted by Boardwalker

To all the fans defending the problems with GW2: In the future, you must apply the same standards to other MMOs. If, for example, a new MMO launches that 1) is not GW2, and 2) does not have a working AH, you must not flame that MMO as terrible and a failure.

In other words, for the rest of your MMO gaming career, do not be a hypocrite.

Most of the flaming being done is being done by the same people, there isnt mch hypocrisy here.  just stupidity.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Originally posted by teakbois

the single most blown out of proportion thing in gaming history.  But the same type of people that jumped all over that will jump all over something as ridiculously insignificant as mail servers coming down:  people just looking for a reason to trash a game.

However, the issues are relatively minor as the game is extremely playable.  Considering there are no queues, of the three games that launched with this amount of volume I would say GW2 is EASILY the best of the three (SWTOR and WoW being the other 2 similar volume games)

This is the current status of the most important issues we're tracking with Guild Wars 2 live service.

Account security - We're seeing an uptick in reports of account theft.........

Ya, minor.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by TalulaRose
    Originally posted by teakbois

Account security - We're seeing an uptick in reports of account theft.........

Ya, minor.

That really has nothing to do with ArenaNet though. People are utilizing poor account security. It's not like ArenaNet got hacked. People are too quick to blame the developer when they themselves use the same email/account name and password combination for everything under the sun.

Besides, they are implementing a patch in a few hours that should hopefully eleviate this issue.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Farstryder
    Originally posted by Zezda

Game is perfectly playable. I've not had any major issues aside from the trading post being down.

When you understand the way their systems work and the difference between this game and others like SW:TOR or WoW then you can appreciate a bit more just how smoothly everything is going.

^^ LoL True fan boy. I love how people are being so hypocritcal about this  launch if this was Swtor  it would be ripped to shreds doom calling and everyone quit free to play by the end of the week. Wait it is free to play....isn't it? ( Sarcasm)

From a completely objective perspective, the worst possible thing at launch is for people to not be able to play the game at all.  And most super popular MMORPG launches have major issues with login queues at launch.  Aion and SWTOR both had queues that could last a few hours on some servers.

The mere fact that, for the most part, I can sit down and be playing GW2 immediately on launch weekend is a big deal for me and makes GW2 a halfway decent launch.

It's not perfect, but I think that the problems are getting blown waaaaaaay out of proportion here.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by thinktank001

There is nothing really new about GW2.  It is WOW clone with a PvP twist.  Not saying it is a bad thing, but I don't get why players are claiming everything that Anet has implemented is a " first " for the industry.     

I dont think you understand what a WoW clone is.

There is extremely little of WoW in GW2.  Yes, its a themepark.  But just as WoW and EQ1 were two enormously dissimilar games, so are WoW and GW2.

• Serin101Serin101 Member Posts: 103
    I think the no accountability point is jumping the gun. ANet already has stated that they want to focus on their game as a service to make the experience worthwhile. And for their part, they have given a lot of visibility that most other companies never actually do. They already explained the reasons why Trade Post was down and what was going on behind the curtains with it in the Times article today. (which I pointed out to the OP and he never responded) They even went as far to post updates on the game service issues they have on their subreddit today to explain what was going on.

Long story short, ANet is giving the community some windows into their house to let people have a small glimpse of what is going on, yet people like the OP decide to throw rocks at it for the sake of breaking them.

Honestly, these threads are coming to the point where people aren't even bothering to look for information anymore. Well w/e I'm having fun with the game while others can dramatize things that really aren't as much of an issue as they make it out to be.
  • JackSmthJackSmth Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by thinktank001

It is a virtual instance regardless of how the hardware is implemented, and it doesn't matter if it was working in beta, since it isn't working now.  

What exactly did they stole from WOW. You call it a WOW clone so I guess you have a whole list of stuff that they must have been copied, but lets keep it simple, just name one thing that ArenaNet has stolen and used from WOW in their own game..

Originally posted by heartless

That really has nothing to do with ArenaNet though. People are utilizing poor account security. It's not like ArenaNet got hacked. People are too quick to blame the developer when they themselves use the same email/account name and password combination for everything under the sun.

Besides, they are implementing a patch in a few hours that should hopefully eleviate this issue.

Im curious what % of hacked people are using the exact same email/password as their wow account.