Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Is Guild Wars 2 The MMO Savior?

Comments

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Am I the only one disappointed by only 1 million+ in sales so far? I hope the number picks up by the end of the month with the official sales.

Saviour of the genre? No. Still a great game minus a few bugs, as expected at launch.

[mod edit] I can't wait for news on the first expansion. I am hoping for a Factions expansion, I'd like to see the Ritualist class come back in GW2.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

GWII is far from my "mmo savior", its still part of the problem if you ask me. To me it is still more of the same old stuff, which is an over simplified theme park, on rails with a supercharged jet pack propelling it along.

My mmo savior will be one that puts massive and multiplayer back in MMO's. I want a deep robust end game with a diversity of options. I want somewhat of a challenege, I want the journey to cap to be challenging as well. Anyways to make a long story shorter my savior mmo would be the rebirth of an old style MMO like EQ or my all time favorite FFXI. Something along those lines would make me 1 happy camper. 

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• jlg9nkjlg9nk Member UncommonPosts: 1

So I didn't read the posts you linked, but from the gist of your summary of Azuriel, I have to agree with that assessment.  The game has those flaws and a few more such as a lack of UI customization and inability to duel (minor flaws imo).  

However, personally, GW2 has saved the mmo genre in regards to my personal enjoyment.  I was highly skeptical due to the hype, but as it turns out, this is exactly what I needed to be reminded that there are devs out there who care about a finely crafted game.  I've never been as immersed in a game world as I am in GW2.  

To me, GW2 wins on many fronts.  Combat is buttery smooth for me, I have had zero performance issues and the graphics look amazing on my mid level PC.  This is a relief because prior to GW2 I was playing TSW, and this was my biggest frustration, constant stuttering and disconnects.  Before that, I was playing ToR, and I could spend pages complaining about performance there not to mention awful ability delays.

Next, the game world is highly immersive to me.  My friends and I feel like we are part of the world and making things happen.  The fact that a storyline plays out even if we aren't there is just icing on the cake.  We haven't rp'd quite like this within a game's mechanics, well ever.  

The system isn't perfect though, but to me, it's encouraging to see a step in this direction.  Turning from "Oh hey, a rift, let's go kill things" to "let's go check on the monks at the monastery, make sure things are okay there, and down a pint" has been a breath of fresh air.  

I don't know if this will happen in GW2, but the next evolution would be to start adding sandbox elements to this type of living world.  Such a notion has renewed my interest in where the mmo genre is headed and makes me wonder if themepark and sandbox can coexist in the same game.

However, the game probably will get stale eventually, later rather than sooner for me though. But I eventually get sick of mac n cheese after a week of it, and I LOVE mac n cheese.  If Arenanet stays committed though with updates and ::crossing fingers:: would entertain the idea of opening up some sandbox gameplay, I can see myself playing for a long time to come.

Before I come across as a blinded fan though, I will say, the personal storyline is lackluster and voice acting not that great.  However, I was playing (and still playing btw) TSW before this which I feel beats almost any game on that front.  I really, really hope both games succeed because as it stands now, these are among my most favorite games, and I like this change in direction and pace from mmo devs, so yes, for me, I believe GW2 (and TSW) have grabbed the helm and  put the genre in a direction towards better waters.  

Edit: My first post and my spacing was all messed up.   >.<

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I don't know about a saviour, I'm not sure the genre needs saving really. I do think it might offer up some ideas about direction for future games if it succeeds.

The article mentions posts were people suggest that DE's may become stale. I think it's safe to say that DE's couldn't possibly be more stale than what we currently see in WoW and it's copies. I for one am sick of doing a guild run through the latest raid, which takes one night once you have it sussed, and then being locked out for the rest of the week, leaving you with nothing to do but PUGs, dailiy's and rep grinding.

I think the LFR feature in WoW does nothing to help the communtiy at all, it practically destroys the idea of guilds. Who needs a guild if you can PUG everything? The same was true of the LFD in Lich King and the PUGs for Naxx.

I could go on but I'll stop. This is about GW2 not WoW. Suffice to say that I for one think that there's enough going on in GW2, both PvE and PvP, to keep Guilds busy and together. Something I've been missing for a long time in some other MMO's.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Ramadar
    This Column was a waist (sic) of time it's nothing more then a bitch fest, if the whole gaming community wants a "MMO Savior" go make it.

Problem is, every person envisions a different savior.

We're Italian politics--the majority party gets 15% of the vote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_parties_in_Italy

This is mmorpg.com.  /rabblerabble.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• dominiadominia Member Posts: 191

It won't be the savior mainly because the MMO market doesn't need saving.  We're going through a MMO "second renaissance" with a slew of top tier quality mmo's being released all within a year of each other.

Say what you will of SWTOR, SW,O MWO, Firefall, Wildstar and MOP but they all are great, quality titles with maybe not original ideas, but polished ones much like GW2.

Original ideas are overrated quite honestly, so is the thought gamers can best create their own content (omg is that a shot at sandbox games? heaven forbid) - especially on this site.

I'm playing GW2 right now and having a blast, probably the most fun I've ever had in my 12 years playing MMOs, but no it is not a savior.

As proof I'm enjoying it and not a troll I even wrote a blog post about my intial reaction...

Currently Playing: GW2
    Retired: Shadowbane, DAoC, WoW, FFXI, Eve Online, SWToR

The Aphelion MMO Blog - GW2 Initial Impressions

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

End game exist, its just different an a little shallow. Since GW2 has a group scaling event, its easy for ANET to change any zone into a raid zone through simple scaling and injecting more mobs. Look at the island of Ore, which is set up as a massive end game PvE Warfront type zone. Every zone in the game can become like Ore. Then you have dungeons with dungeon exclusive armor with cool looks and legendary weapons.

If most people thikn end game = gear grind hamster wheel then there is a problem with the industry.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I think part of the issue and the reason why zealots crowds react the way they are is, in the past, too many games has been killed by WoW zealots and secret agents jumping into other games forum and game review websites and wilfully sabotage the reputation of games other than WoW - and it has happened many, many times before.

I personally do not think GW2 is the savior of mmo but I do think it is capable of finally be a game that's  able to put MMORPG market back int contested territory, instead of the absolute monopoly of WoW.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

The problem with Azuriel's blog post is that he completely ignores the fact that even though Dynamic Events, WvW and the End-game maybe not be perfect they are still leaps and bounds better than the current alternative.

He commits the Nirvana Fallacy: "the logical error of comparing actual things with unrealistic, idealized alternatives."

For example, Azuriel claims that Dynamic Events are boring if there are no other players around to do them with but he ignores the fact that every single themepark MMO has the same questing mechanics yet are extremely restrictive in how you may play with others. How is regular questing better in any way when it is the same thing but with annoying and arbitrary quest givers, zero consequence on the world and no player scaling?

The same goes for WvW. Sure, it may be a zergfest some of the time or require you to bash on doors for a while, but where is this fabled game that has mass-scale PvP that doesn't have the exact same flaws?

Long story short, you don't have to be perfect to still be the best. GW2 is obviously not perfect but it is still the best option when you compare it to its competition (varying with personal taste of course). 

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by tank017
    Lmao,i love the douchecanoe rowing down the douchecano comment ...classic.Its true,a lot of GW2 fans are like rabid animals seething and frothing at anyone or anything letting loose a slight hint of negativity about the game.Gw2 is a good game, but in no way is it a genre savior.In fact, id be surprised if it got anywhere near WoW status

Correction, a vocal minority of GW2 fans are like rabid animals. The same vocal minority exists in every game. There is also a vocal minority of people who get off by crapping all over any new release but that's a topic for a different subject altogether.  Most of the people I've ran into in GW2 seemed like normal, decent folks. Most were helpful and I haven't really ran into any douchenozzles. Combine that with the fact that ArenaNet is very strict with their naming and chat violation policies and the atmosphere in the game is generally friendly and helpful.

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Channce
    With this or any other game, i could care less if its the "savior" to anything.  If its fun, ill play, if its not, I wont.  All these threads about it being great or terrible are like when I see someone in any game say "im bored"...really, and you cant think of anything else to do?

You clearly don't think about the industry as a whole...

• XeoMatrix00XeoMatrix00 Member Posts: 39

I enjoy gw2 and rift lot more than same boring wow. Really a new expansion and the idea came from an april's fools joke. That was it for me. So i will enjoy GW2 at least a lot of difference compare to WoW here i can do more dont have to worry getting the best items. I hope it last like GW1 that the only thing im requesting. 

• XeoMatrix00XeoMatrix00 Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by fundayz

The problem with Azuriel's blog post is that he completely ignores the fact that even though Dynamic Events, WvW and the End-game maybe not be perfect they are still leaps and bounds better than the current alternative.

He commits the Nirvana Fallacy: "the logical error of comparing actual things with unrealistic, idealized alternatives."

For example, Azuriel claims that Dynamic Events are boring if there are no other players around to do them with but he ignores the fact that every single themepark MMO has the same questing mechanics yet are extremely restrictive in how you may play with others. How is regular questing better in any way when it is the same thing but with annoying and arbitrary quest givers, zero consequence on the world and no player scaling?

The same goes for WvW. Sure, it may be a zergfest some of the time or require you to bash on doors for a while, but where is this fabled game that has mass-scale PvP that doesn't have the exact same flaws?

Long story short, you don't have to be perfect to still be the best. GW2 is obviously not perfect but it is still the best option when you compare it to its competition (varying with personal taste of course). 

Dude completely agree, ppl say that this features are bad. Does any other game have something new that is better ? I dont think so. This is a new concepts ppls the game just started officially like any other launch, except d3 that was the worst of them all. This game need to run a little bit give it a month of 2 and than just maybe another discussion can be done regarding this game and about how much time will last.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Tibernicus
    Originally posted by Channce
    With this or any other game, i could care less if its the "savior" to anything.  If its fun, ill play, if its not, I wont.  All these threads about it being great or terrible are like when I see someone in any game say "im bored"...really, and you cant think of anything else to do?

You clearly don't think about the industry as a whole...

What constitutes a savior of MMOs anyway? Is it not enough for a game to just be good and fun? How do you even judge if a game lives up to this idealized notion of a "savior of MMOs?" A notion that is not only impossible to really define but one that is also unique to each individual?

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Dont believe in ANY MMO being any type of savior.  At the end of the day they are just games.  GW2 is far from perfect, but its the most fun I have had in an MMO for a loong time.  Thats enough to keep me interested and invest in the game.

Innovation is a funny concept because mostly everything comes from something else.  I dont see GW2 innovating the genre, but I DO see it innovating how to execute what we already know and love in the genre.  Thats important because no one else has done it (this well) for years.  

To me its the simple things like no node stealing, ability to send mats to the bank without leaving. Everyone having the ability to heal.  What I have found is these simple changes allow me to shift my focus from 'game' management to having fun.  I dont need to check my map for the next quest hub because there isnt one.  I find things to do just by walking around.  They may sound mundane to most but it elevates the experience for me to something most enjoyable.

I hope its hear to stay.

• Verum0Verum0 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    The story mentions GW2 possible slumping due to not having a cash shop... GW1 really didnt ever suffer from not having a cash shop, every year they would release an update (box) everyone bought. Population was always there  because the game was fun to play... I have yet to play GW2 (i suck I know) GW2 doesnt need a cash shop or a pay to play model set up . D3  doesnt feel very solid of a game with their RMAH, why ruin a good thing
  • YaoimanYaoiman Member Posts: 51

I didn't know MMO's needed saving, I thought they just needed change from the same old stale outdated formula.

GW2 is change. It is the evolution on questing, combat, lasting artstyle, community, enemy NPC AI (they fight each other!!), and the scale of the world of an MMO.

I do think these fans who defend these game like religious fanatics are hurting the games industry though.

Just imagine if the SWTOR fans were outraged at the clearly garbage gamethat was shown in all the trailers and info released up to its release instead of blindly defeding that aweful game. BioWare might have gone back to the drawig board and attempted to fix it the same way Square Enix is fixing FFXIV.

I've been planning on buying GW2 stuff from the item shop but they're making it hard for me to want to put money in their game because I feel like they're trying to rip me off. I don't want to pay real money for consumable items, I want to buy apperence armor that I can ware all the time like I did in GW1, defiitly not an armor skin thst forces me to buy more stuff from the item store to even use it. (Yes, I know I can just buy everything with in game money, but if that's what you think then you're missing my point. I want to spend real money to help support the game)

This is the main reason I hate the F2P model and want a subscription.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one.

We will always remember your sacrifice, Louisoux!

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    I do have to ask, where is the article on how wrong the haters have been? We're waiting. All we've seen is how wrong the fanbois supposedly are. Proof positive? none. Still waiting on how the haters and naysayers are the ones in the right.... Guess we'll never see that article.
  • caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    I do have to ask, where is the article on how wrong the haters have been? We're waiting. All we've seen is how wrong the fanbois supposedly are. Proof positive? none. Still waiting on how the haters and naysayers are the ones in the right.... Guess we'll never see that article.

MMORPG has written a plethora of fluff pieces promoting gw2. 

• FarstryderFarstryder Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Best writer on staff?I would argue so.  I am guilty of some of the same things as well but I always do support the game I choose with my purchase and sub. I've said before the downfall of the games some of  us older mmo vets wish for is simply due to a lack of subs in the market when those games come out.My own fantacism has probably turned off a few the same as I have been by others. Bravo Mr Victor Barreiro.

Farstryder,

• bpraswidbpraswid Member Posts: 7
    Dinamic Event is the best feature in GW2. So, people will group for the same cause at the same time without waiting and form formal group. It is very exciting. I think SWTOR and TSW must do the same to keep people playing, afterall it is MMO, player interaction is essential for game life time. Expansions and stories telling will not keep player for long.
  • ultrastoatultrastoat Member Posts: 172
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Originally posted by sadeyx

Just as Blizzard started the trend of selling expensive pets to people for cash,  which made it OK foreveryone else to do it....   Guildwars2 will set the trend that its 'ok' to charge a premium price for a F2P MMO.

So no, your right.  GW2 isnt the savior of MMO's,  if anything this pushes MMO's even more into the realms of 'cash machine product' than it ever was.

Thats why I wont buy GW2, not because its a good or bad game, but because it sets a standard for a disturbing and worrying future of online games.

I guess you could say I dont support what ANET are trying to do, under the disguise of a game and massive hype.

Correct me if I'm wrong (groggy from a morning of meetings), but are you saying that an MMO must charge a sub to be worth a box price?

I think he's actually just saying that he doesn't want to pay for anything and that developers should be happy that people are playing their games.

Little does he know, the world doesn't work like that.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

what exactly is a Savior of MMO? how can a MMO be crowned the savior? it's really a gamble, and it's an endless debate

sure, while i already said since the beginning that GW2 will not be a saviour, and it proves me right, but again, it is definitely the best MMO to come out within the last 8 years since the dominance of WoW started

and i agree that Dynamic Events, unless keep updated, it will become a bit stale, very much agreed

even after 4 days of playing, i started to see the point, it's all the same thing again and again, up till the point that i dont even care to join some of the DEs anymore

So What Now?

• XakotXakot Member Posts: 17
    The only true savior to mmos will be an actual visor viewed Immersive .hack// mmo. That will topple the king known as blizzard, that will rally the masses, it will revolutionize gaming but until someone actually gets around to making it there will be many false prophets.
  • OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

It's a sad state when people needs education on behaviour.

But, hey, it's internet.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"