Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] The Secret World: Musing on Funcom

Comments

• UlorikUlorik Member UncommonPosts: 179

The storyline and cutscenes are the best MMO's can offer at the moment. It's a pure delight to follow the quest lines, just because of the intelligent, witty and extremely well acted cutscenes. These are the real rewards of the game.

To understand what I mean compare the cutscenes in TSW and SWTOR with certain adverts in the UK

-SWOTOR: The horrible "Go compare" adverts where you switch channel or tell the guy to stfu

-TSW: The witty and entertaining "Compare the Meerkat" adverts that you want to see again and again

I will most certainly continue to support Funcom

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore
    I kill zombies every day. Welcome to Oregon. :P

Got any screenshots?

• quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159

Originally posted by Mors-Subita
    A lot of people(myself included) were really excited about the game's concepts... Then we played the beta weekends and the game's great concepts are not done justice by the lackluster and, frankly, crappy gameplay... If they had made good gameplay to go with their good concept, I would probably be subbed right now. :(

^^ this

I find the gameplay to be boring and repetitive, to such an extent that I really don't see myself playing TSW even if goes f2p. The features sound great on paper but the execution is horrible.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    I like TSW, once it goes F2P i think it'll do fine
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by BadSpock
    I really don't understand all these "ahead of its time" comments - if anything TSW appeared to me as being a game stuck in the past.Linear, story-driven, grind quest-hub to max level, sandwich hit-point-swapping combat, whack a mole Trinity, and grind instanced end-game PvP and PvE.You know what would have happened if TSW had the IP recognition/popularity and marketing/hype of TOR? The exact same thing that has happened to TOR. Burn brightly, then burned out.

Sounds awesome, but there are not quest hubs in tsw.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by tank017
    I like TSW, once it goes F2P i think it'll do fine

I really cannot see how it will do fine as f2p. Money is going to go down the tube if that happens.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Nitth

I really don't understand all these "ahead of its time" comments - if anything TSW appeared to me as being a game stuck in the past.

Linear, story-driven, grind quest-hub to max level, sandwich hit-point-swapping combat, whack a mole Trinity, and grind instanced end-game PvP and PvE.

You know what would have happened if TSW had the IP recognition/popularity and marketing/hype of TOR? The exact same thing that has happened to TOR. Burn brightly, then burned out.

Sounds awesome, but there are not quest hubs in tsw.

They might not be as prevalant as in other mmos but I distinctly remember there being quest hubs. Like the police station in Kingsmouth and the skatepark and the area with some folks in the woods. Im sure those aren't the only three either.

• quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159

Originally posted by Ulorik
    The storyline and cutscenes are the best MMO's can offer at the moment. It's a pure delight to follow the quest lines, just because of the intelligent, witty and extremely well acted cutscenes. These are the real rewards of the game.

See, for you, those cut scenes were a plus. For me, they were so annoying that I started skipping through them almost immediately. I generally don't play games for the story-- that's what books are for IMO-- but I don't mind story telling in my games if it's done well. I don't think that TSW does it well at all. There's far too much "purple prose" for my tastes. If the NPCs spoke in a more natural way, I might have been able to suspend my disbelief long enough to actually get into the story.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Kuppa:
    The police station is a hub, just about the only one. It's the first place you go, its designed to ease players used to wow type questing in, just like the hearts in gw2.

The skate park though, lol, hub my arse, it has one sabotage mission, one investigation mission and one item quest.
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Vesavius

I really don't understand all these "ahead of its time" comments - if anything TSW appeared to me as being a game stuck in the past.

Linear, story-driven, grind quest-hub to max level, sandwich hit-point-swapping combat, whack a mole Trinity, and grind instanced end-game PvP and PvE.

You know what would have happened if TSW had the IP recognition/popularity and marketing/hype of TOR? The exact same thing that has happened to TOR. Burn brightly, then burned out.

Agreed Spock

Hmm, this is hard to let slide, your not wrong, but your reasons are....odd.

Granted there is part of the game which is story driven, but not in the way your making out. You can ignore the main story altogether, most missions are part of a zone story rather than a player or "class" story which is interwoven into the lore, but agreed this is nothing new. 

Not everyone uses classic trinity, at least not many who know how to play the game effectively. There is simply no need for a dedicated healer or a classic style tank and no place for classic style DPS, hybrid combination groups win hands down. If you had actually played the game to nightmare level and experimented with the skill tree system you would know this. The mind-set of trinity works in TSW and works quite well, but it is not optimal and FAR from a necessity.

There aren't the traditional quest hubs, while granted there are mission givers, these missions are limited to 1 at a time and most tertiary missions are found all over the shop. You can't exactly "grind" them.

There are no levels in TSW...this is the biggest giveaway that you don't really know what your talkling about.

You can't grind missions, they have long reset timers.

However, your sentiment is correct, TSW is nothing new.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Kuppa:
    The police station is a hub, just about the only one. It's the first place you go, its designed to ease players used to wow type questing in, just like the hearts in gw2.

The skate park though, lol, hub my arse, it has one sabotage mission, one investigation mission and one item quest.

So what constitutes a "hub"?? I didn't know there was a mininmum req for it. Either way we can define it however we want to fit each others arguments. The fact is that there are locations were you can get multiple quests.

Leveling wise its excellent. Its as big a break from your wow/swtor/rift type gameplay as gw2, maybe more so with the puzzle & stealth elements.

What let's tsw down is they bottled the pvp. Early in development they looked to be going for some daoc/planetside/gw2 type setup. When they scaled it back, it just ended up being a wow style gear grind, a bad one that let you get better at pvp by actively avoiding actual pvp.

It could also do with invasions, wandering boss mobs etc.. but too late now with the cash situation
    Kuppa: by your definition more than 1 quest = hub?

It just doesn't work like wow, you don't go a few buildings, gather up a shopping list of 20 quests, then go play the circles on the map. Before no doubt returning to get another bunch of quests telling you to now kill the black bears you had to kill to get to the brown bears on the prior one.

The action missions play more like pqs from war, with the various stages, especially the ones that require groups later on. Investigations and sabotage are new to mmos also.

Look I think gw2 is the better game overall, and its what I'm currently playing, but some games do some things better.
    namely
    tsw: pve leveling and skill system
    Eve: skill system, economy, crafting, politics and "sense of danger"
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Kuppa: by your definition more than 1 quest = hub?

It just doesn't work like wow, you don't go a few buildings, gather up a shopping list of 20 quests, then go play the circles on the map. Before no doubt returning to get another bunch of quests telling you to now kill the black bears you had to kill to get to the brown bears on the prior one.

The action missions play more like pqs from war, with the various stages, especially the ones that require groups later on. Investigations and sabotage are new to mmos also.

Look I think gw2 is the better game overall, and its what I'm currently playing, but some games do some things better.
    namely
    tsw: pve leveling and skill system
    Eve: skill system, economy, crafting, politics and "sense of danger"

I told you that it doesn't really matter what the definition is. There are locations were you can get more than one quest, if you do or don't want to call it a "hub" its fine.

I assume the rest of your comments are for someone else.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

It's the gamers' fault that the vast majority of them do not agree with your assessment of the Secret World?  Its some medical mystery?  ADHD MMO Roulette?

Here's something my dad taught me 35 years ago as a very young child.  When you point your finger in blame at someone else, there are three more pointing right back at you.

If you really did feel that TSW was such a great game then maybe, just maybe, you have all lost your touch with gaming... when someone else pays you to play a game... when someone else supplies you with the time to play, the gear to play, and the game + subscription then how the hell can you tell me or anyone else that it is worth it?  We all have real jobs, real responsibilities and gaming is a hobby.  We obviously expect more for our dollar than you do and that is because of the difference in perception.

Hell, if someone wants to pay me to play I am pretty damn sure I can find something worthwhile in Custer's Last Stand, E.T., and Daikatana.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    Originally posted by severius

It's the gamers' fault that the vast majority of them do not agree with your assessment of the Secret World?  Its some medical mystery?  ADHD MMO Roulette?

Here's something my dad taught me 35 years ago as a very young child.  When you point your finger in blame at someone else, there are three more pointing right back at you.

If you really did feel that TSW was such a great game then maybe, just maybe, you have all lost your touch with gaming... when someone else pays you to play a game... when someone else supplies you with the time to play, the gear to play, and the game + subscription then how the hell can you tell me or anyone else that it is worth it?  We all have real jobs, real responsibilities and gaming is a hobby.  We obviously expect more for our dollar than you do and that is because of the difference in perception.

Hell, if someone wants to pay me to play I am pretty damn sure I can find something worthwhile in Custer's Last Stand, E.T., and Daikatana.

+1

On another note, if people think TSW should've earned more subs, and yet still keep saying it's niche game, then it's denial. 200k is just fine for a niche game.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

so much excuse making for what is basicly a bad game. Im not sure where you people who claim funcim didnt advertise live.. but i saw more Gaming site Banners(here especially) and  TSW commercials on tv than I did ToR or GW2.

The game setting is nice, the visuals are nice but those alone arent enough to make people stay.  TSW is another in a long line of mmos w/  unrealised  potential

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    Originally posted by Rawiz
    Originally posted by severius

+1

On another note, if people think TSW should've earned more subs, and yet still keep saying it's niche game, then it's denial. 200k is just fine for a niche game.

people keep confusing this.. They DO NOT have 200k SUBS  they sold 200k copies of the game.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• itsneoitsneo Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by Kenze

so much excuse making for what is basicly a bad game. Im not sure where you people who claim funcim didnt advertise live.. but i saw more Gaming site Banners(here especially) and  TSW commercials on tv than I did ToR or GW2.

The game setting is nice, the visuals are nice but those alone arent enough to make people stay.  TSW is another in a long line of mmos w/  unrealised  potential

lol this makes me laugh..    serioulsy?    Bad game = WoW, or any other no skill required game. lol. 

Nonetheless, TSW is an amazing game, but being amazing is not enough.  Not today.   Truth of the matter is there is just far to many mmo on the market and more coming every day it seems, be they free to play or sub based.     The market has changed, no matter how you slice it.  Free to play is here to stay, and while I do not subscribe to the model, not as it stands, it has potential to be the future of gaming.      That said, FunCom has not failed here, dispite many doom sayers here, and all over the mmo community of late, the real issue here, and I did not see it mentioned, EA.    EA has a history of pushing games to market as quick as possible in order to make that instant cash grab of boxed sales.    Let us be realistic here, this "publisher" relationship is going to be a thing of the past as boxed sales will be a thing of the past, electronic delivery of a product is the way to get your game on.     Unless you are playing some console system when a hard copy of the disc is needed (and even that is becoming a thing of the past with HDD's installed in console game systems).   

If we were to take the game itself and base our comments on a true evaluation of the game we could only conclude that there will be as many varied opinions as there are gamers.   Some will love it, some will hate it, some will be on the fence, but one thing is for sure, TSW, like ANY OTHER MMO is not for everyone.  Lets face it, TSW requires you have a brain, and know how to use it.  While combat is not much different than most mmo, your ability to be more than DPS, or HEALER or TANK is required, your ability to decipher clues and solve investigation mission, tho not enough of them for my taste, is required.   The fact that boxed sales are not up to snuff according to investors is a fault not of the game itself, but unrealistic expectations.    One can not really expect a million sales for a game in todays market.  There are just TOO many mmo to choose from and far too many are free.    

I purchased my copies (2 of them) for TSW not because I love the game, which I do, but because I showed some support to a company who brought me 10 years of enjoyable game play in Anarchy-Online and a few months in AoC.     10 YEARS.  well actually its 11 years now  .. but  think about that, for a "FailCom"  game 11 years is an EPIC fail.  NOT!  Get over yourselves haters.

TSW will have its place, I do, however, think the business model needs changing.  Success today of any MMO will be of the subless business model.  IF your going to charge me 60 bucks for a game (in this case I shelled out for 1 Master Pack as well) so 150 bucks..   I expect everything else to be free.      Not because I am cheap, but because I will get it elsewhere, and THAT is the only reason a game today will fail, because we can get our fix for free elsewhere.   So unless you are pumping out content daily, and I dont mean repeatables..  cause frankly I am sick as heck of dailies.     Tired of repeating the same quests, killing the same mobs,  running the same instances over and over and over.   I had hoped to see more content in TSW.. and was willing to give more time to see that happen, but I have to honestly say, it's not happening fast enough.   I am NOT a completionist, or hardcore end game raider (tho I certainly do enjoy it),  in two short months, I have completed all 5 nightmares, ran through all the lairs, completed EVERY Quest but one. (Too Deep) and have killed EVERY rare mob in EVERY map.    Sooooo.. I ended up being a completionist without even trying.    

IF Ragnar happens to read this..  I hope you take away from this post what I wanted you to.. The game is great and you have my support, but PLEASE.   re-think the sub based model, you are not offering me anything to keep me subbed, I'm done already.  What's next?   Am I to be forced to consistantly repeat every mission from the start again in an attempt to fill my skill wheel?  Oh.. btw.  I am 87% complete in the skill wheel too, I cuold farm AP in SH speed runs for a couple more days (tho I am subbed till the end of December) and will have completed that too.   So, Funcom, Ragnar, what are we paying for????    Think about that.    Charge your 60 bucks for the game, lose the subscription, and boxed sales will go up.. I assure you.

cheers.

EDIT:  on another note, for a game that is being toted as yet another fail, there sure are a lot of posts and chat about it everywhere.   Can't be all that bad if so many people have so much to say about it.   Let's hope Funcom is listening

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

TSW felt more fresh to me than GW2 ever did, but I guess I might just be the only person that's sick to his stomac with all the high fantasy MMOs floating around. Also, give me investigation quest hubs over mindless Dynamic Zergfests any day. Class-less system with access to every ability in the game > class system with 5 abilities locked to each weapon.

They had a lot of good ideas that I hope are picked up and added to upcoming MMORPGs.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

this is why we can't have nice things.

I guess usual "economist" type of mmo gamer is just so in love with generic fantasy setting end-game-focused min-max algorhythms, that the idea of a mmo where immersion, roleplay and storyline is the content seems disgusting to them.

TSW is the freshiest mmo i have played in last 5 years. Freshier and more immersive than GW II, even. It succeeded at what TORtanic WANTED to do - create an immersive, alive, interesting world and tell the story in in.

I really hope it pulls through and survives. If there's one mmo I do not regret subbing to, its TSW. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    Originally posted by itsneo
    Originally posted by Kenze

lol this makes me laugh..    serioulsy?    Bad game = WoW, or any other no skill required game. lol. 

Nonetheless, TSW is an amazing game, but being amazing is not enough.  Not today.   Truth of the matter is there is just far to many mmo on the market and more coming every day it seems, be they free to play or sub based.     The market has changed, no matter how you slice it.  Free to play is here to stay, and while I do not subscribe to the model, not as it stands, it has potential to be the future of gaming.      That said, FunCom has not failed here, dispite many doom sayers here, and all over the mmo community of late, the real issue here, and I did not see it mentioned, EA.    EA has a history of pushing games to market as quick as possible in order to make that instant cash grab of boxed sales.    Let us be realistic here, this "publisher" relationship is going to be a thing of the past as boxed sales will be a thing of the past, electronic delivery of a product is the way to get your game on.     Unless you are playing some console system when a hard copy of the disc is needed (and even that is becoming a thing of the past with HDD's installed in console game systems).   

If we were to take the game itself and base our comments on a true evaluation of the game we could only conclude that there will be as many varied opinions as there are gamers.   Some will love it, some will hate it, some will be on the fence, but one thing is for sure, TSW, like ANY OTHER MMO is not for everyone.  Lets face it, TSW requires you have a brain, and know how to use it.  While combat is not much different than most mmo, your ability to be more than DPS, or HEALER or TANK is required, your ability to decipher clues and solve investigation mission, tho not enough of them for my taste, is required.   The fact that boxed sales are not up to snuff according to investors is a fault not of the game itself, but unrealistic expectations.    One can not really expect a million sales for a game in todays market.  There are just TOO many mmo to choose from and far too many are free.    

I purchased my copies (2 of them) for TSW not because I love the game, which I do, but because I showed some support to a company who brought me 10 years of enjoyable game play in Anarchy-Online and a few months in AoC.     10 YEARS.  well actually its 11 years now  .. but  think about that, for a "FailCom"  game 11 years is an EPIC fail.  NOT!  Get over yourselves haters.

TSW will have its place, I do, however, think the business model needs changing.  Success today of any MMO will be of the subless business model.  IF your going to charge me 60 bucks for a game (in this case I shelled out for 1 Master Pack as well) so 150 bucks..   I expect everything else to be free.      Not because I am cheap, but because I will get it elsewhere, and THAT is the only reason a game today will fail, because we can get our fix for free elsewhere.   So unless you are pumping out content daily, and I dont mean repeatables..  cause frankly I am sick as heck of dailies.     Tired of repeating the same quests, killing the same mobs,  running the same instances over and over and over.   I had hoped to see more content in TSW.. and was willing to give more time to see that happen, but I have to honestly say, it's not happening fast enough.   I am NOT a completionist, or hardcore end game raider (tho I certainly do enjoy it),  in two short months, I have completed all 5 nightmares, ran through all the lairs, completed EVERY Quest but one. (Too Deep) and have killed EVERY rare mob in EVERY map.    Sooooo.. I ended up being a completionist without even trying.    

IF Ragnar happens to read this..  I hope you take away from this post what I wanted you to.. The game is great and you have my support, but PLEASE.   re-think the sub based model, you are not offering me anything to keep me subbed, I'm done already.  What's next?   Am I to be forced to consistantly repeat every mission from the start again in an attempt to fill my skill wheel?  Oh.. btw.  I am 87% complete in the skill wheel too, I cuold farm AP in SH speed runs for a couple more days (tho I am subbed till the end of December) and will have completed that too.   So, Funcom, Ragnar, what are we paying for????    Think about that.    Charge your 60 bucks for the game, lose the subscription, and boxed sales will go up.. I assure you.

cheers.

EDIT:  on another note, for a game that is being toted as yet another fail, there sure are a lot of posts and chat about it everywhere.   Can't be all that bad if so many people have so much to say about it.   Let's hope Funcom is listening

^ Funcom has (nearly) the same reputation as EA has (among MMO players). They also did an enormous money grab with AoC. Perhaps people remember that, like they remember some of EA's mistakes?

^ Brains needed for TSW is what I hear all the time. How exactly do you know those aren't the "scary retarded GW2 kids" googleing?

I bought Diablo 3, because Diablo 2 brought me over 10 years of joy. That however, doesn't make me blind to see that the game fell short.

• WinterclawWinterclaw Member Posts: 28

It was a niche game.  It should be happy to have done as well as it did.  Frankly I didn't get it because:

1.  I don't like the horror genre

2.  I saw EA was related to the game (icon on the box cover).

3.  The last funcom game I tried, AoC, wasn't that great.  If they couldn't make AoC good enough to keep my interest, I'm not going to play their follow up.

4.  They need to get their butts in gear on TLJ3.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

i playing TSW as an mmorpg ,don't care for personal story,cut scenes,voice acting.

Around I looking for company  and still enjoying in game far from to be bored , best mmorpg  of year .

• shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324

https://plus.google.com/101371184407256956306/posts/1SncpejbHfm

No fun for Funcom
    The Secret World tops out at 200K-ish

Sometimes the fun of financial reports is what they don't say.

[goes on from there...]