Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blocked then Banned...

PhobiaPhobia Member Posts: 51

...the real life story of an honest gamer.

Very excited for this game!  Yes I preordered, and yes I sat clicking on "Login" almost for 5 hours on headstart day!

After 2 days of gameplay - nothing extrodinary, just some xping, and lvl 80 PvPing - I got kicked from the game.  When I tried to log back in, it said I was "blocked".  A friend of mine told me to visit a site where I read I wasn't the only one blocked.  I read further and found out that these blocks were made for either A) your name was a cause for the infraction. or B) your account was hacked by a gold seller.

First I would like to say that either reasons is not cause for blocking an account for 3 days.  

Why?  Well if your name is an infraction, let the player change it or maybe Anet should have blocked it in the first place from being able to be made?  Now if your account was hacked.. "how" is the first question I ask.  I reformatted just a week ago, so please don't tell me I'm full of viruses and key loggers that hooked these gold selling guys up with my password specific to Guild Wars 2.  So how else did they get it?... and many more like me had theirs hacked.  How did this happen?  In my opinion, you would have to ask Anet.

So today is the 5th day... 3 days of being blocked.  I start the client, and blam!  "Your account has been permanantly banned."  Why?  No idea seeing as I changed my password for a 2nd time.. again unique to GW2, and I haven't been permitted to log in for the last 3 days.

Expensive $70 lesson - don't invest in ArenaNet or NCsoft in the future.

Comments

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Did you try contacting Arenanet about this?
  • QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

They really are trying to rule with an iron fist.  In the long run I think they'll do more damage than good.

You should contact them and inquire why you've been banned.  Don't they tell you why?  They said they state why there are bans.. so shouldn't you know the reason?

• PhobiaPhobia Member Posts: 51

Yes - their Support has yet to get back to me reguarding the Blocked issue that has come and gone.  I had to read it on another site to find out what was happening.

And yes on being Banned... but being launch week and all that, I'm sure it will be a long time before getting a reply.

Originally posted by QuicklyScott
    Don't they tell you why?  They said they state why there are bans.. so shouldn't you know the reason?

The message that popped up when logging in was very vague - you have violated the code of conduct... 

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

It's much more likely that you just don't want to publicly fess up for whatever you did to get banned.

Sorry champ, acting like a clown isn't tolerated in this game. That's a GOOD thing.

• indrctindrct Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

They really are trying to rule with an iron fist.  In the long run I think they'll do more damage than good.

You should contact them and inquire why you've been banned.  Don't they tell you why?  They said they state why there are bans.. so shouldn't you know the reason?

I think a lot of damage has already been done.

I had the name Sir Pokesmot in GW1 for 7 years.  I fear to make the name in GW2.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Maybe try posting here to ask why are you blocked?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/yxx3m/suspensions_for_offensive_names_and_inappropriate/

They have been being a bit heavy handed with the blocks, but haven't heard so far of anyone getting permanently banned for name issues (I guess it's possible for char issues but would have to be very bad for that, I guess), so my first guess is that your account was hacked somehow.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Originally posted by Phobia

Yes - their Support has yet to get back to me reguarding the Blocked issue that has come and gone.  I had to read it on another site to find out what was happening.

And yes on being Banned... but being launch week and all that, I'm sure it will be a long time before getting a reply.

Is there not a phone number you can call?  If so, why wait around for an email response when you can get someone to help you immediately?

They do seem pretty quick to ban people.  I guess it's a lot easier to do that when you're not expecting 15 dollars a month from them.  Out of curiosity though, what was your character name?

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

What was the character's name?

I read about someone named 'Cnut Pounder' moaning about unfair treatment earlier (not that I'm suggesting this relates to your situation).

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

...the real life story of an honest gamer. Very excited for this game!  Yes I preordered, and yes I sat clicking on "Login" almost for 5 hours on headstart day!After 2 days of gameplay - nothing extrodinary, just some xping, and lvl 80 PvPing - I got kicked from the game.  When I tried to log back in, it said I was "blocked".  A friend of mine told me to visit a site where I read I wasn't the only one blocked.  I read further and found out that these blocks were made for either A) your name was a cause for the infraction. or B) your account was hacked by a gold seller.

Why did you not contact the company directly, To get first hand information on your account?

First I would like to say that either reasons is not cause for blocking an account for 3 days.
    of course it is. They should suspend your account untill you content them. I cannot think of any real life scenario where this wouldn't not happen.

Why?  Well if your name is an infraction, let the player change it or maybe Anet should have blocked it in the first place from being able to be made?
    Yeah sure, design an algorytm to filter them so people can only get more creative at bypassing said filter with different spellings.

Now if your account was hacked.. "how" is the first question I ask.  I reformatted just a week ago, so please don't tell me I'm full of viruses and key loggers that hooked these gold selling guys up with my password specific to Guild Wars 2.  So how else did they get it?... and many more like me had theirs hacked.  How did this happen?  In my opinion, you would have to ask Anet.
    Javascript within the webbrowser? There are plenty of user created situations which could lead to account hacking. I bet you visit lots of gw2 and gaming fans sites right?

So today is the 5th day... 3 days of being blocked.  I start the client, and blam!  "Your account has been permanantly banned."  Why?  No idea seeing as I changed my password for a 2nd time.. again unique to GW2, and I haven't been permitted to log in for the last 3 days.
    Did you actually contact arena net regarding you account suspension? Maybe you should of herd what they had to say?

Expensive $70 lesson - don't invest in ArenaNet or NCsoft in the future.
    Im not a poster boy for arenanet, but they do seem to be a legit company. I think if were gona play the blame game its not all arenas fault, and in shades of gray.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

Is there not a phone number you can call?  If so, why wait around for an email response when you can get someone to help you immediately?

They do seem pretty quick to ban people.  I guess it's a lot easier to do that when you're not expecting 15 dollars a month from them.  Out of curiosity though, what was your character name?

(425) 462-9444

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Why did you reformat your hard drive? Is this common for people? I've never had to do it on any computer I've ever had. I would think only the most extreme reason would need to do it.
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    What was your characters name?
  • Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

Im glad I dont see all these idiotic names running around and people being obnoxious/rude and attacking people in chat.

ANET is taking out the trash and I for one am glad.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by Preacher26

Im glad I dont see all these idiotic names running around and people being obnoxious/rude and attacking people in chat.

ANET is taking out the trash and I for one am glad.

I'm extremely glad too. I really don't care to see people running around with variants of "Lovestospooge" everywhere spamming up area / server chat with memems and Alienware and "WoW was the first MMO" chat constantly. I really don't think they're coming down too hard, all you have to do is not be an idiot and you're safe. Seems way too hard not to do these days for some people.

Edit: Forgot to add, the Reddit page where AreaNet is answering questions on why people got banned was the reason I bought the game on launch instead of waiting a bit more for the reviews to come in. Glad I did because so far the game has been amazingly fun.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Kost

It's much more likely that you just don't want to publicly fess up for whatever you did to get banned.

Sorry champ, acting like a clown isn't tolerated in this game. That's a GOOD thing.

Or maybe ArenaNet made a mistake.

My friend named his character "Rensha" and was banned, his account was never hacked.

I think ArenaNet might be a bit trigger happy with their bans.

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149
    If you read through their reddit post on bans most of the ones banned until further notice are the comprimised account ones. Account closed till you contact us. Suggest you should try that.
    Originally posted by Valua

My friend named his character "Rensha" and was banned, his account was never hacked.

Are you sure it was because of the name?. I'm not saying it's really the case of your friend, but on the reddit thread there were several cases of people asking why they were banned saying that they didn't see a problem with their name... and the response was that the name was OK but what caused the 3 day banning was something they said on chat.

That said, it might have been a mistake as well, there was one case on that reddit thread of someone that reported someone else and was banned by mistake, they reverted the ban and banned the correct person.

EDIT: BTW, it might have been the name, though it's kind of a long shot (no pun intended): http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Renshaw

I guess it could be a good idea to check urban dictionary before naming any char.. :)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

Are you sure it was because of the name?. I'm not saying it's really the case of your friend, but on the reddit thread there were several cases of people asking why they were banned saying that they didn't see a problem with their name... and the response was that the name was OK but what caused the 3 day banning was something they said on chat.

That said, it might have been a mistake as well, there was one case on that reddit thread of someone that reported someone else and was banned by mistake, they reverted the ban and banned the correct person.

Yeah alot of the "innocent" folks that got banned were trolling in chat or raging @ people in WvW.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

He was told it was for naming violations. He's not the type of person to be rude in chat. All the time I've known him he is helpful to people asking questions and doesn't get involed in arguments or "chuck norris" jokes etc.

Granted, ArenaNet is trying to keep the game safe from idiots, but I think they might be going a bit overboard with bans and blocks on the first day of actual launch.

If they weren't making mistakes the game would benefit from this, but because they are making mistakes clearly then I think this could really hurt the "perfect launch" that they should have.

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287

From the reddit link supplied above:

We want to clear up some of the confusion about GW2 name and behavior suspensions. To keep Guild Wars 2 a pleasant place to be, we take action against racist names, hate speech, and other unacceptable behavior. We have suspended some accounts involved in the use of offensive character names or inappropriate chat. The number of account blocks is miniscule: less than .001% of our total player base.

When an account is blocked for a chat offense, the account is given a three-day suspension. When an account is blocked for an offensive name, the player is required to rename the character name and, in most cases, the account is also given a three-day suspension.

We have reviewed all the name suspensions currently in place. Where we could give some leeway, we removed the account suspension, which will allow those players to rename the character and rejoin the game. However, for substantially offensive names, we will keep the full three-day suspensions in effect.

In a few posts on Reddit and on fan forums, players have claimed they were suspended for using a harmless-sounding character name, when in fact they were suspended for a different and truly offensive character name on their account. Others claimed that they were not told why they were suspended, but the game does give a message that states the reason for the suspension. In every case we have double-checked, the action taken on the account was appropriate.

However, we'd like to clear up any misconceptions. If you think you were unfairly suspended, or if you'd like to know the specific chat or character name that got you suspended, post your character name and we’ll reply in graphic detail with the reason for the block. Warning: NSFW ahead!

I call BS on the OP.

Please look at the date I've been registered on this site - then look at the amount of posts Ive made.  Its not that I'm inactive, just that I don't post unless I truely feel I have something to say.  Honestly if I had hacked or been an ass to someone I would expect some sort of repercussion.

My in game name was "Im Famous" - I can understand if you don't like it, but it isn't an infraction of the Naming Policy.

The site I spoke of in my op was reddit.

I have contacted them through support messaging, and I didn't know they had a phone number.

Thankd for your help and sudgestions.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Chances are that he was shitting up local chat and got caught.

He was told it was for naming violations. He's not the type of person to be rude in chat. All the time I've known him he is helpful to people asking questions and doesn't get involed in arguments or "chuck norris" jokes etc.

Granted, ArenaNet is trying to keep the game safe from idiots, but I think they might be going a bit overboard with bans and blocks on the first day of actual launch.

If they weren't making mistakes the game would benefit from this, but because they are making mistakes clearly then I think this could really hurt the "perfect launch" that they should have.

I edited my previous post, but to put it here as well, maybe it was because of this (wild guessing):

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Renshaw

I guess it would be a good idea to check urban dictionary before naming any new char.. :)