Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So if you don't like GW2; where are the good arguements?

Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Okay so I play GW2 currently and I think it's an above average game and has some potential.  I have no issue if someone doesn't like the game....  I don't like call of duty.. come at me bro.

What gets me though are people who at least try to portray themselves as intelligent adults saying stuff like:

1) Worst community ever! - this after a few trolls bothered him in chat.... really?  Like a day in and its now the worst community ever? (admittly I saw this one only once on these forums... it just ground my gears)

2) Combat is dumbed down because it doesn't have mana and stamina.... yep because thats what made combat hard in other mmorpgs... that mana/stamina bar.  You apparently can just mash abilities and win too!  Good luck with that...

3)  What's the point of pvp?  to kill people....you got gear, ranks? bonuses for your server?  When WoW came out people killed people for the sheer fun of pvp.... no xp loss they just had to run back. 

Can we at least *try* to be intelligent when we discuss this stuff?  Also if you hate theme parks period (or anything that's not a complete sand box) why are you even trying GW2? or are you just BSing?

Its like a skin head complaining that he doesn't like Al Sharpton's show on MSNBC....

Comments

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 454
    Nice flamebait, Trollo McTroll.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Copy past npcs! That chick in the red dress all over divenity's reach! :p
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Please close this thread. It will only end in chaos....

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512

Yes, despite the constant arrogant claims of critics / haters that the fans are falling for the hype..  it seems that many of the worst arguments are coming from the other side.  Granted, some will be enamoured with the hype and shininess of the game, but I think the haters are equally if not more guilty of this sort of reflex.  They hate that GW2 is actually living up to much (not all) of the hype. 

Other people simply seem to think that because every MMO in the last 7 years has gone through this 'hype and fall' pattern, that it is inevitable that all MMO's will suffer same fate.  Well, if that is the case we really can blame the players and not the games, but I am of the opinion that Devs haven't 'got' what the playerbase is after.  Again and again we see 2-faction games with stuck on PvP..  no wonder this pattern persisted. 

Not making any predictions, but lets see what happens now. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

A person could love the game because it's a better sandbox than Eve, or hate it because it doesn't have PvP. Even if the facts used to justify the opinion are false, it doesn't invalidate the opinion. As far as I know, there's no requirement to like GW2.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Actually he hit the nail right on the head. 95% of the people heavily bashing the game clearly have not even played it.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Deathenger
    Actually he hit the nail right on the head. 95% of the people heavily bashing the game clearly have not even played it.

You sure about that?  

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I actually like the game a lot.  But it would be tough to argue with someone that is sick of high fantasy settings with cartoon like graphics.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Some people get miffed pretty easily by things in MMOs. I wouldn't worry about it. They will either get over it or quit.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• kol56kol56 Member Posts: 124
    Originally posted by Angier2758

3)  What's the point of pvp?  to kill people....you got gear, ranks? bonuses for your server?  When WoW came out people killed people for the sheer fun of pvp.... no xp loss they just had to run back. 

It's just themepark PVP, meaningless and shallow, it's still better than almost everything released in the last 8 years.

It's like a COD match, they are fun for a while.... but i don't think i could be able to play it for years without geting bored.

Years? weeks.

"Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge."

"The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy"
    -Seinfeld

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

You sure about that?  

Having played the game, and read some of the trashing post, yes I am. If it makes you feel any better I'll take back the "95%" remark and replace it with "most"...

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

You sure about that?  

Made up percents aside I think the majority of people who don't like GW2 and say they did.. actually did.

However, I think the most vocal ones have a high chance of never actually playing it.

It does seem like some folks on this forum have an axe to grind, but are trying to pass themselves off as an average gamer that just found out he doesn't like the game.  The venom in what they right is a little too strong to point to anything else.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Personal preference? Do you feel that everyone must agree with your preferences or be some kind of hater? Sometimes, a game just does not "feel right", or is tough to quantify just why.

I am enjoying the game, don't get me wrong. But I don't expect everyone to share my personal opinion.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

No one needs to provide any arguments to you for why they dislike the game. Everyone has different opinions and it is only natural that this game would not be everyone's cup of tea. It's not like most of you who are head over heals in love with GW2 will actually listen to any rational criticisms of the game. Why bait people into posting about what they dislike if you are just going to dismiss what they have to say anyway?

GW2 may be a great game for some, but contrary to popular belief, it is not for everyone. I personally just feel very underwhelmed by it. I know I'm not the only one. Leave it at that...

Like the people who hate theme parks yet somehow bought GW2.... unless they JUST found out they hated theme parks they are indeed stupid.

I agree with you on this one.

The same thing happened to SWTOR.

"It's not SWG 2" NO sh$# sherlock!, if you don't like themeparks, buying it and then crying because it's a themepark is retarded.

"Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge."

"The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy"
    -Seinfeld

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    I've died a bunch in PVE after level 20.  Once the game gives you all your tools, you certainly can't play mindlessly like you can in other MMOs.  I had mobs using bait and switch tactics on me. At level 20 they were using strategy. 
  • crusher143crusher143 Member UncommonPosts: 198

Well I have played yesterday and today and tried out the elemental mage and warrior. Where Iam really disapointed with is the elemental mage class because nearly every spell I have to select the target circle on the ground. This is especially annyoing for heal spells because everyone just runs out of it before it even heals them once T_T. This makes for an annoying gameplay, I dont mind this for healing rain because the radius is so huge but for the other spells its rather annoying.

Warrior was pretty good and fun to play tho.

Other thing what I dont like is the camera in this game, if you turn around it feels like you have FPS lag when you doesnt. It doesnt move with you instantly,  its annoying :/.

Other then that cant really say because Iam just lvl10 with both classes.

Originally posted by kol56

It's just themepark PVP, meaningless and shallow, it's still better than almost everything released in the last 8 years.

It's like a COD match, they are fun for a while.... but i don't think i could be able to play it for years without geting bored.

Years? weeks.

But what makes it meaningful then?  Full loot FFA  ??  I admit if I were making the game I'd have done it with different races and different classes for each side (which doesn't work with their system, but still).

• UlafUlaf Member UncommonPosts: 33

There is only one reason I ever need to not play a game. 

I don't want to.    I really dont need any arguements. 

Originally posted by Anubisan

No one needs to provide any arguments to you for why they dislike the game. Everyone has different opinions and it is only natural that this game would not be everyone's cup of tea. It's not like most of you who are head over heals in love with GW2 will actually listen to any rational criticisms of the game. Why bait people into posting about what they dislike if you are just going to dismiss what they have to say anyway?

GW2 may be a great game for some, but contrary to popular belief, it is not for everyone. I personally just feel very underwhelmed by it. I know I'm not the only one. Leave it at that...

This is a discussion forum.... if all we're doing it saying "I do like it" and the next guy goes "I don't because welll I don't!"... then what's the point?

So yes if you're going to spout off on a forum you should have some back up to WHY you're saying what you're saying...

You're missing the point if you think I want everyone to agree with me,  I want people to actually use some intelligence and not claim that the combat sucks because he mashed his auto attack key and beat an NPC at lvl 3.

Say something like "WvW queues blow!" or "I don't like the class selection!"  .. something showing you don't just blindly hate.

Years? weeks.

But what makes it meaningful then?  Full loot FFA  ??  I admit if I were making the game I'd have done it with different races and different classes for each side (which doesn't work with their system, but still).

Well, things like player player built castles with sieges, maybe even town building.

Open world PVP, that means PVE progression with PVP on the mix, no, having 1 or 2 open world bosses on the WwW with no real rewards doesn't count.

Guild VS Guild drama PVP, having real enemies, not just players from different servers.

Politics, Alliances, etc.

In my opinion, GW2 removed the best things about DAoC's PVP while making it more accessible. And when you do that, you remove longterm appeal

And this isn't a Sandbox vs Themepark kind of thing, Lineage 2 was a themepark and the PVP had more depth than GW2.

But this is all an opinion and just that, it will be better for some people and worse for others.

-Seinfeld

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Years? weeks.

This ^. An MMO without PvP without progression is just an FPS shooter. And that's not a knock on FPS shooters.

Progression n an MMO is a key part of what makes an MMO compelling. Can you imagine if they took progression out of pve? For example, you sign up for a dungeon and automaticallly receive all the gear that you need before you begin. Nothing that you can get in the dungeon will be better than what you already have. After you complete it the first few times just for the sake of doing it, what's the point?

If you're not improving your character in a repeated activity, you'll eventually stop doing it in favor of something that actually improves your character.

I like fighting for the sake of fighting as much as anyone, but not having pvp progression in an MMO it just seems out of place.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• Muerte_XMuerte_X Member Posts: 104

I am enjoying the game overall, but I can think of one argument that is valid. Loading screens. Loading screens everywhere. I can only attest to the lower levels, but when I was following my personal quest, I had to run from zone to zone several times plus instances for the PQ's. So.. enter zone... loading... you are in overflow.. check.. main server tranfer... loading.. enter instance.. loading... exit instance.. loading.. in overflow.. then load main again.. loading.. then run to other zone... loading.. and que'd again for main server... loading... on and on.

I think I spent 25% of my time staring at loading screens early on. Really made me wanna buy a SSD. It is getting better as I level because I stay in zones a lot longer. Also, as the population spreads out, I know the que's won't be as much of an issue. But I like it when games make a near seamless world; it really adds to immersion. Think wow (not that I have played it in a long time), where you enter a zone, the weather effects/music transition nicely with no loading. And before I get flamed to death: I am enjoying the game :)

Often lurking, rarely posting

• AlexlongwellAlexlongwell Member UncommonPosts: 23

I actually had a convo with my friend the other day why we wouldnt be playing GW2(we both played in the beta's), at least not for awhile.

we are both old school rpger(maybe not so old he is 35 im 30), he actually played some d&d where i started out with consoles, my first rpg was dragon warrior for the nes, and we both decided one of the points of rpg was to get impactful loot,get lvls and get new skills, and become more powerful, all while following a meaningful story i.e. power progression,gear treadmill. We like these things, i mean i dunno but i like having to work hard and grind, and run things multiple time to get that next piece of gear i need.

I play Aion atm and have since launch where alot of people quit do to being to grindy,twinks,rng etc. I dont know whats wrong with me but i love the game, maybe due to me taking 3-4 breaks in that 3 yrs period, and i thought the way it was at launch was great, it took a while to lvl up, drops were scarce, and when I accomplished something i felt great. I remeber running one of the 50 instances for the first time with no idea how to do it, it took around 7 hours to complete, it was hard and frustrating but to this day i remeber downing the last boss and getting a blue drop and feeling great about it.

Also i love pvp and GW2 pvp did absolutly nothing for me, im sorry again i guess there is something wrong with me, i like managing cd on 8 different skills and pots and buffs and debuffs and food, knowing when to pop what and at what time and situation.

I guess people are comparing the pvp tp COD and guess what, i thought that first beta i was in before i saw anyone say that, and i mean i think it was a good idea for the game as there are many fps players who bought the game. Broader market is good for the game.

Also my friend and I agreed  that we like the holy trinity, i have played a tank in almost every mmo ive played, i like the role, again just our personal preference.

Again i hope gw2 does well. It will be good for MMO's in gereral if it does, with all the bombs lately the market needed a win, and hopefully this does just that.

I got into mmorpg late as i never had a great computer and mostly played console rpg's. My first mmo was FFXI and I loved it, then played WoW for a whole month and it didnt hook me, then War, then Aion, then Rift, then SWTOR, tried TSW and tried GW2.

TL/DR

just wasnt fun for me, isnt that good enough? :)

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

You sure about that?  

There's no way to be postive but you can often tell by the arguments used... if any are used at all.

This discussion has been closed.