Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth the $60??

SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243

So I was in Best Buy yesterday and finally got to hold in my hands, Guild Wars 2.  I was on my way up to the counter when all I could think about was my dwindling bank account and my angry wife that I would have to go home to.

All I wanted to know was, is this game well worth the $60 now? Or should I wait a couple weeks to let things cool off a bit and buy it?  I feel guilty not buying it because I was a huge fan of GW1 and have been waiting anxiously for the 2nd.  I waited til release to get it because I wanted the box instead of just the digital copy.  

I do this with many games.  I look forward to buying them, then when I get to the store to purchase it, I see the price tag, and it takes all the hypeness away from me.

I really really really need someone to talk me into buying the game and say screw the finances.  Each day that goes by, I can just picture everyone else progressing so much farther and that I will fall too far behind.

Thanks!

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    If you can't afford it don't buy it.  It doesn't matter if it's worth it or not (which I think it is)

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    It is definately worth it.

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

If you are a fan of GW1 and you presently enjoy themepark MMOs then GW2 is probably worth the purchase.

If you don't enjoy the current themepark MMOs and/or are burned out on the genre then I would stay away. I personally thought I'd like it, but when I pre-purchased and started playing I realized just how much I'm starting to dislike the current fatansy themepark recipe. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

you said you were fan of GW1 - i would buy GW2 for this alone

ive been roaming all over the different racial areas, visiting locations of Tyria 250 years later

you will recognize the GW1 areas for both landscape and associated theme music

im loving the GW1 nostalgia

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

If you have the money then yes, but stay away from the cash shop.

However if you dont have the money it does not hurt to wait a while. Advancement in this game is really quick so you would be competitive in a few weeks of gaming, so I would not worry about that.

However dont expect the gaming equivalent of crack. The game is nice and addictive but not so that you just have to spend every waking moment to play it. At least if you have played the latest crop of ThemeParks, alot of what you find there is here as well. Action based combat, personal story lines, Rift like open world quests, faction based PvP etc.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

I play GW2 as a sidegame and it's good enough for this. You have to love fantasy themeparks to love it but I skip all story/dialogue because it's too infantile imo. But it's worth 60 dollars.

Edit: It's much better than Rift for example and without a monthly sub it's a bargain.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    If you can't afford it don't buy it.  It doesn't matter if it's worth it or not (which I think it is)

I agree with this.

If you're having budget issues of some kind, don't buy it. Those who like GW2 will say yes. Thos who don't will say no.

What you feel is unknown. My advice would be to wait a month or 2. You don't really lose anything and the price will probably drop abit so it's even cheaper.

That is, since you said you like GW1, you really, really want ot play this game. If so, and you've already informed yourself about what the game's about, then go ahead i guess.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    It's worth it, but if $60 is a really big issue for you then maybe you can do wihout games for a while. You're missing out a bit, but the game will still be there a few months from now.

imageimage
  • shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

Why not wait for a free trial and decide for yourself?

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

It's worth $150, but for that I also got a free statue of Rytlock, a tin, a "making of" art book, 1/2 a dozen epic songs, in-game items, print art, and a wooden picture frame.

YES!, It's worth it!

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    It's well worth the initial purchase, if you want a themepark MMO but are open-minded to new/different features. However wait a month, for things to die down a bit, for issues to be fixed and for your wallet the fatten up.

• redfrickredfrick Member UncommonPosts: 42
    The game is awesome but nothing is worth wiferage.
  • hehenephehenep Member UncommonPosts: 221

I'll agree with everyone else saying if you can't afford it then don't buy it.  I mean generally spending money you shouldn't is a very bad thing.

That said, if you can afford it and you find yourself interested in the game from what you've seen online then it's certainly a fantastic thing to spend your money on.  I've never once regretted buying any of the Guild Wars expansions even though I only occasionally play them since over the years I've most certainly gotten my money's worth out of them and I can't see GW2 being any different.

• CrazylikeCrazylike Member CommonPosts: 89
    Totally worth it imo.

• ClobClob Member Posts: 130
    Way more than worth $60.  Buy it - you'll save the money on the other end by not burning as much gas (because you'll be playing instead of driving places). :)
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    It is easily worth the money... But waiting a few weeks doesnt really matter, get the game when you have money to spare.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Nadia

you said you were fan of GW1 - i would buy GW2 for this alone

ive been roaming all over the different racial areas, visiting locations of Tyria 250 years later you will recognize the GW1 areas for both landscape and associated theme music

im loving the GW1 nostalgia

Learned to love GW1 when I ditched the idea of it being a MMORPG. That was early this year. And yeah, a lot of famimliar places to visit. Also a lot of new ones too (never managed to fully explore the world in GW1). I thought it was funny when I found the old GW1 maps in GW2 ;-)

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527
    Originally posted by eyelolled

^^ This, with great emphasis. I know how you feel, but don't sacrifice life benefits for a new game. Guild Wars 2 will not go anywhere for a very long time, especially if it is 'worth the $60' so it can wait till the price is no longer an issue. Don't let anyone else talk you in to it. Take a break from listening to reviews, advertisements, and hype. Don't do it and enjoy time with the wife, games you already have, etc. until you feel good about buying it because you waited and have enough in the bank for it to be a total non-issue. Both of us can enjoy it in a month or two when we're ready, and I know there are a lot of other gamers doing the same thing so we'll be with plenty of new players when the time is right.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    If you consider how much GW2 offers you $60 is a good price. Also if your worried about entertainment spending on a monthly basis, GW2 not requiring a sub to play is a huge plus.
  • GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290

In my opinion, yes it is worth the sixty dollar price. The game is really cool. I'm gonna stay with GW2 for a long time.

• GundricGundric Member UncommonPosts: 345

Totally worth it but if you get it then you may end up looking like this guy > image

Battered but happy!

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    I have to echo the sane people in this thread:

Real life responsabilitiea come before any game no matter how good it is.

Get your budget under control first and buy things when you can comfortably afford them.
  • kafka1984kafka1984 Member Posts: 83
    Totally worth it.
    But real life issues must take priority eh?

Roll the Dice

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

If you don't have the spare money now, wait till next month it will still be there.

If it will cause strife with your wife(over finances, not over you playing games) then don't buy it yet.

If it will cause strife with your wife(over you playing games) then she needs to take a step back, because she knew what she was getting in for with you, and shouldn't be trying to change you, and you should definitely get it.

If you aren't sure if you will get value for your money, you will. The game is incredible.

You could wait a week or two for them to fix up the launch bugs(i.e. trading post, etc), but if you are a GW1 player you probably have your names reserved still, and now would be a really good time to create the chars so you don't lose them.

• crewthiefcrewthief Member Posts: 235
    In my opinion, it's absolutely worth $60.

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server