Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Permanently Banned

CurmyCurmy Member UncommonPosts: 18

Tried logging on this morning, my account had been blocked.

Tried logging on just a few minutes ago, my account is now permantly banned.

No emails, no response to the ticket I lodged through their web site.

It's very frustrating as I have no idea what it is I am alleged to have done.

I'll do a chargeback on my credit card  but it's disappointing as I really enjoyed the limited time i had.

Comments

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Nice try, it tells you on the launcher why you were banned.

Or you could go post on the reddit thread and get the support team to confirm it for you

• ohpowerohpower Member Posts: 72
    Unfortunately, it is probable that RMT is your bane. They have hacked a big number of accounts. See Anet's reddit thread on bans. You might want to wait a little longer till it's settled or post on this reddit channel for more infos...
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    how about try to get ahold of ncsoft
  • SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375
    Has there been anything said about how accounts are getting hacked? Is it through brute force or emails people may have been fooled with? Something else?
  • RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Phiishing emails
  • CurmyCurmy Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by Zezda

Or you could go post on the reddit thread and get the support team to confirm it for you

True, it says permanently banned for a violation of the User Agreement and/or Rules of Conduct.

Not that that helps me much.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

For accounts that may have been hacked use thios link:

http://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/ask/

The Anet repo was steering folks toward this last night.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by Curmy
    Originally posted by Zezda

True, it says permanently banned for a violation of the User Agreement and/or Rules of Conduct.

Not that that helps me much.

It's likely then that someone else logged into your account or something similar.

Give them some time, they'll fix it for you when they get the ticket.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by SysFail
    Has there been anything said about how accounts are getting hacked? Is it through brute force or emails people may have been fooled with? Something else?

I haven't been fooled by one of those emails in more than a decade, and I seem to have been hacked today.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Somewhere in the magical world of the internetz, there is a massive database of hacked (phishing, keylogger, compromised sites, etc...) accounts and passwords.  People who don't change their account names or passwords between sites are vulnerable to having their account "hacked" by the petty thieves who use this database.

There is a lot you can do to keep your account(s) secure.  I won't tell you in this thread, though.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by ohpower
    Unfortunately, it is probable that RMT is your bane. They have hacked a big number of accounts. See Anet's reddit thread on bans. You might want to wait a little longer till it's settled or post on this reddit channel for more infos...

Well only .001% of the accounts are blocked with is a 1000 accounts (unless they include account that do not have the game, if they is possible?). So yes some accounts are "hacked" (most likely they just used a know e-mail/password combination). Anyhow yes if you sure you did nothing then going to the reddit is a good thing and asked why is a good thing. There humans and make mistakes (like the guy who got banned for the offence he reported)

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

I got an email from Anet 2 nights ago - saying someone (hopefully me) has requested a password change, click here. I deleted it.

Last night I was logged out mid-game due to "logging in from another location".

I quickly went into account management and reset my pass, and logged back in.

This is the first time it has happened to me in 10 years of MMO'ing. The first email seemed to indicate someone had a list of usernames and was going through them clicking "I've forgotten my password". But how they then GOT my password is another story - and there have been a number of bans due to hacked accounts - so goodness knows what they are saying once they are in!

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by Kniknax

I got an email from Anet 2 nights ago - saying someone (hopefully me) has requested a password change, click here. I deleted it.

Last night I was logged out mid-game due to "logging in from another location".

I quickly went into account management and reset my pass, and logged back in.

This is the first time it has happened to me in 10 years of MMO'ing. The first email seemed to indicate someone had a list of usernames and was going through them clicking "I've forgotten my password". But how they then GOT my password is another story - and there have been a number of bans due to hacked accounts - so goodness knows what they are saying once they are in!

They might have your email account and password to it, as well.  Check to make sure your email is secure.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by syntax42
    Originally posted by Kniknax I got an email from Anet 2 nights ago - saying someone (hopefully me) has requested a password change, click here. I deleted it. Last night I was logged out mid-game due to "logging in from another location". I quickly went into account management and reset my pass, and logged back in. This is the first time it has happened to me in 10 years of MMO'ing. The first email seemed to indicate someone had a list of usernames and was going through them clicking "I've forgotten my password". But how they then GOT my password is another story - and there have been a number of bans due to hacked accounts - so goodness knows what they are saying once they are in!
    They might have your email account and password to it, as well.  Check to make sure your email is secure.

Apparently, if they know the GW password, they can change this email address with no secondary authentication through your email. The email is just instantly changed. So then they can change the password or whatever else they want. They don't need access to your email to change it.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Originally posted by Curmy

Tried logging on this morning, my account had been blocked.

Tried logging on just a few minutes ago, my account is now permantly banned.

No emails, no response to the ticket I lodged through their web site.

It's very frustrating as I have no idea what it is I am alleged to have done.

I'll do a chargeback on my credit card  but it's disappointing as I really enjoyed the limited time i had.

Oh you know what you did. Unless your really ignorant. You probably deserved it!

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

The two things that have been mentioned so far are phishing emails and people that use the same login and password for different sites and one of them might have been compromised.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• VitaminKVitaminK Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I've gotten several emails about password resets although I have no once tried to reset my password.
  • BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by VitaminK
    I've gotten several emails about password resets although I have no once tried to reset my password.

I just received my 7th one about five minutes ago, and this is the first time this has ever happened to me in over a decade of online gaming.  I'm very careful about how I set up my game accounts, but something seems to be compromised somewhere.

• Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    I don't know if it's NCSoft that controls the security of the accounts of if this is something ANet is doing themselves now.  But I really wish they would let us use "special characters" in our passwords.  That at least makes it much harder to get the password.  Short of using Mobile Authenticators, it's the next best thing.  But I use the word best loosely.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

People have the account name same as their email and many of them always us the same password. If you could hack this site to get peoples mail adresses and passwords (which should be a lot easier than ANETs servers) you could log into plenty of accounts.

Never have an email as account name if you use it somewhere else.- Have a unique password. Have a good updated antivirus and firewall. Never write your code or username anywhere but when you log in in the game.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

also watch your email to because some might also be phishing scams going around like I still to this day get from wow and D3. Hackers always run to the new hype train game where everyone is going. If you seen the news lately north koreas government just made a hell of a profit gold farming and hacker ,and we already know china is a worthless POS that doesnt do anything about its citizens hacking either.

Also if you were banned email them you were banned and ask why it happened, from the forum articles Anet was posting in they were giving the exacts of why accounts are being banned and even putting out there what is being said and the names used for the community to laugh at and mock people.

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

Ya, I am not changing my identity. I have built this identity online sense EQ1.

Apparently, I am on this "universal" database but I have never been hacked before. I think this is due to changing my password to all my accounts around twice every year.

I sent ArenaNet a suppor ticket about the number of "Reset Password" e-mails I have gotten (about 4 in the past two days) but the account has not been compromised.

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Originally posted by Loke666

Never have an email as account name if you use it somewhere else.- Have a unique password.  Never write your code or username anywhere but when you log in in the game.

Worth repeating as so few people understand this. I removed the part regarding third-party software as it's effectiveness is very much open to debate ;)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Ringside
    Phiishing emails

I 100% understand this one,however HOW are hackers getting these people emails?

i bet people not playing the game won't get an email,only those playing.That would mean the emails are directed right at the users and how would the hackers know that?

Example i have not and i bet never will get a GW2 email.

Keyloggers again would need to focus on the actual players ,i will never get a GW2 keylogger.Now in this case it could happen from the players going to or even being curious about bot programs.

So if you have done nothing wrong ,it leaves imo only phising as the cause OR A-Net is getting hacked or have people inside hacking the passwords.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I just keep a seperate email for stuff.  MMORPG.com account = for official game stuff like steam and my game accounts.  Random yahoo = for third party sites only.  o.O  Seems to work well for me.

Edit :

Wasnt there an unofficial gw2 forums?  Back when people thought a-net wouldnt make their own forums?  maybe they got the emails from there oO

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**