Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Detective work, How to find what sites compromised your email!

DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880

Forum database hacking is a popular method for stealing usernames/passwords. Since most people are lazy I'm sure there are alot of folks usingthe same email address in forums and websites as they do for their game (shame on you).

Anyway, the purpose of this theread , with the help of people recieving phishing emails, and who have been hacked, is to possibly find what forums or sites they used the same email to regester as they did to regester GW2. That is, if you are using an email address for more than just GW2. If not then this post does not apply.

THIS IS ASSUMING YOU HAVE SINCE CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS ASSOCIATED WITH GW2 IF YOU RECIEVED PHISHING EMAILS OR WERE HACKED

Ok, here we go, List every site that you regestered with, using the same email address as your GW2 account. (Once again, this is assuming you were smart enough to change it)

Obviously, if your GW2 account is still sharing an email address your using for other forums or sites, please dont share, or change the email address associated with your GW2 account THEN share.

Lets begin!

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    I would say it was the BNET hack a few weeks backs where they got a bunch of email address but that was a US database and I am EU.
  • DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Well then if you using the same email for BNET anf GW2 and were hacked then list it. The purpose is to find site in common with folks getting phishing emails/hacked where they used the same email to regester that site and their game account.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Deathenger

Forum database hacking is a popular method for stealing usernames/passwords. Since most people are lazy I'm sure there are alot of folks usingthe same email address in forums and websites as they do for their game (shame on you).

Anyway, the purpose of this theread , with the help of people recieving phishing emails, and who have been hacked, is to possibly find what forums or sites they used the same email to regester as they did to regester GW2. That is, if you are using an email address for more than just GW2. If not then this post does not apply.

THIS IS ASSUMING YOU HAVE SINCE CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS ASSOCIATED WITH GW2 IF YOU RECIEVED PHISHING EMAILS OR WERE HACKED

Ok, here we go, List every site that you regestered with, using the same email address as your GW2 account. (Once again, this is assuming you were smart enough to change it)

Obviously, if your GW2 account is still sharing an email address your using for other forums or sites, please dont share, or change the email address associated with your GW2 accoung.

Lets begin!

Can you post the header from the phishing email you got?

I did not get a phishing email. The email address I use for GW2 I ONLY use for GW2 and nothing else. All the accounts I have be it banking or whatever all have unique passwords as well.

The purpose of this post if to find forums/websites common with folks who are getting phishing emails or have been hacked.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by Mors-Subita

Obviously, if your GW2 account is still sharing an email address your using for other forums or sites, please dont share, or change the email address associated with your GW2 accoung.

Lets begin!

Can you post the header from the phishing email you got?

Guild Wars Password Reset

Somebody (hopefully you!) asked to reset the password on your Guild Wars account.

To change your password, click the link below.

https://account.guildwars2.......E (Is not the link but an example just in case it's not allowed to be posted on forums)

If you did not request to reset your password, you can ignore this email and no changes will be made to your account.

Need help or have questions about your Guild Wars account? Visit our support site: http://suppor....wars2.com/.

Thanks!

--The ArenaNet Team

Something like this. 

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

If you have been "hacked," if you can access your NCSoft Master Account using your account username (not the NC email) then you can save your account. Whoever is doing this is not changing the NC master stuff, apparently.

If you can log in to your NC account, you can see the email for your Guild Wars (and 2, if they are linked) accounts. You can also change the password for your GW account. Knowing the new email and having changed the password, you can log into the guildwars2 website and change your email to something else (I would NOT use the same email as before).

If this works, you should change your GW password, your NCSoft password, and any other game passwords that are the same or similar. Having breached you once, they are more likely to try again to get that account in the near future. It would also be a good idea to update your security questions at NCSoft, and de-authorize all locations. You might also want to change any fansite passwords to a third, different password to prevent future attempts later. Remember to make fansite passwords and game passwords different, and make those different from master account passwords. Make all these different from real-world services like banking. You can never be too safe, and even if you have several passwords like I do, it is better safe than sorry.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

Talk about totally derailed, I had a feeling I was wasting my time but hey, it was worth a try....

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Talk about totally derailed, I had a feeling I was wasting my time but hey, it was worth a try....

your thread title did it.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

You might be right, lets see if this is any better

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Its probably from Battlenet. Someone created a Battlenet account for me using my email address years after I had stopped playing WoW and it was required to log in. Had to phone CS to recover the BNet account for something else I wanted to play.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Way WAY back in my less than intelligent youthful days (yesterday...) I had the same email for all gaming purposes... i.e. GW2 and the associated forums. I got one of those emails a few hours ago and now have my GW2 account on its own sole-use email account now. The email that is (now) forum use only is registered to:

Well, here of course...

guildwars2guru

mmo-champion

g4tv

gamebreaker

I thought I was clever keeping one email for MMO uses, sadly I wasn't quite clever enough but managed to dodge a bullet. At least the passwords I use are complicated enough to resist a brute force attack for awhile I hope...

Edit: I don't recall if this email was also tied to BNet... I haven't used that in a few years but did in my WoW days, so add BNet as a tentative.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• rimaxo14rimaxo14 Member Posts: 118
    I knew it i posted a thread this morning about this it's real phishy how this happened and i bet most of us that received the email have something in common. My first thought was this very website because this was the only website that was posting about it this morning but idk. Also my email i use is not associated with Battle.net AT all so can't just be there.

EVGA FTW-3 MOBO X58
    EVGA GTX 580
    G.SKILL RIPJAW 12GB
    INTEL I7 950
    CORSAIR H70 CPU COOLER
    CORSAIR 1200W 80+GOLD

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by rimaxo14
    I knew it i posted a thread this morning about this it's real phishy how this happened and i bet most of us that received the email have something in common. My first thought was this very website because this was the only website that was posting about it this morning but idk. Also my email i use is not associated with Battle.net AT all so can't just be there.

do you use the same email for this site as you do for your GW2 account?

also keep in mind, just a few years ago, there was a issue with the original GW1 game which allowed people to randomly log into other players accounts.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design