Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Think I just got hacked >.>

13»

Comments

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

If you have been "hacked," if you can access your NCSoft Master Account using your account username (not the NC email) then you can save your account. Whoever is doing this is not changing the NC master stuff, apparently.

If you can log in to your NC account, you can see the email for your Guild Wars (and 2, if they are linked) accounts. You can also change the password for your GW account. Knowing the new email and having changed the password, you can log into the guildwars2 website and change your email to something else (I would NOT use the same email as before).

If this works, you should change your GW password, your NCSoft password, and any other game passwords that are the same or similar. Having breached you once, they are more likely to try again to get that account in the near future. It would also be a good idea to update your security questions at NCSoft, and de-authorize all locations. You might also want to change any fansite passwords to a third, different password to prevent future attempts later. Remember to make fansite passwords and game passwords different, and make those different from master account passwords. Make all these different from real-world services like banking. You can never be too safe, and even if you have several passwords like I do, it is better safe than sorry.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• TyvolusNextTyvolusNext Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by Deathenger
    Originally posted by vaeiou
    Originally posted by Deathenger
    Originally posted by vaeiou
    Gosh...  This is a nightmare :-(

How is that exactly?

Because my account has been compromised?

Gah my bad, I completly missed that you were the OP

exactly.  you are trying too hard to defend your game.

• MagicDustManMagicDustMan Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Leodious

Originally posted by Doomedfox
     That would also mean that your Email account is compromised tho.

I got the same mail yesterday but since you would need to click the link to accept the PW change i think i am fine.

At least i was ablt to log in and did not expierience any problems with the account. 

No, it doesn't. The guildwars2 . com website allows you to change the email with ZERO secondary or third-party site (i.e., from your email) authorization. If they can log into your guild wars account, they can change the email. They don't need access to your email to change it.

This. Its pretty lame.

Again, clicking email links has nothing to do with the e-mails posted in this thread.

I wonder if OP has gotten a response yet. I know most people have not. Pretty horrid customer service.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by MagicDustMan
    Originally posted by Leodious   Originally posted by Doomedfox  That would also mean that your Email account is compromised tho.   I got the same mail yesterday but since you would need to click the link to accept the PW change i think i am fine. At least i was ablt to log in and did not expierience any problems with the account. 
      No, it doesn't. The guildwars2 . com website allows you to change the email with ZERO secondary or third-party site (i.e., from your email) authorization. If they can log into your guild wars account, they can change the email. They don't need access to your email to change it.
    This. Its pretty lame.

Again, clicking email links has nothing to do with the e-mails posted in this thread.

I wonder if OP has gotten a response yet. I know most people have not. Pretty horrid customer service.

Some people aren't reading or can't accept that this is happening without people falling victim to phishing. Well, it is.

Don't be too upset by the customer service. They are totally inundated right now, and are probably working their asses off. I am not saying it isn't their fault. It is, for terrible account name/email policy, and an utterly ridiculous email change system which needs no secondary verification before your email is changed. It's terrible, and the poor security is there fault. Not that the players, myself included, are not at fault for losing their passwords to a site at some point and getting into whatever database is doing this.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• RuntzzRuntzz Member UncommonPosts: 11

To everyone saying it's a phishing attempt and he was stupid for clicking it. You do not know all the facts and have all the evdience you need to make such accusations. I have been getting for the past few days attempts to change the password. They are legit my email client shows me the real link information on the side of the link itself. Also I click on them in a virtual machine and they take me to a password reset on the GW2 site. Also if you look at the original post his E-Mail address was changed.

This isn't typical NCsoft issues this is typical internet issues. My gmail account that I rarely use gets accessed all the time from other sources even after I change the password. Also the all mighty blizzard was hacked and peoples information was taken guess what was taken ooo yea EMAILS.

Now to the OP call ArenaNet and tell them what happened and have all your game information handy they probably can restore your account to its formor glory.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

This is an interesting and very scary thread indeed!

I hope it all works out for you.

Just a thought, from reading what was said.  If the account info was static for some time, it's entirely possible that your account info was stolen some time ago & put into hybernation until GW2 finally released.

Crooks like to sit on account info until it becomes valuable.  I guess for everyone else, the thing to do is to just change info ASAP, whether the person thinks they are safe or not.

The email was odd, as others pointed out.  Either ArenaNet is having problems with notifications, or it's some sort of confidence check, since the link is good (and who knows who the sender really was). ... Or you have a keylogger already imbedded on your machine, and they want to make sure they not only grab your email password but also your GW2 info, all within the hour - whether you click the link or not, because it's a keylogger.  If you scanned your machine already, sorry, I must have missed that part of this thread.

Although having a crook know your email address and having a virus installed for the same person might be a stretch .. but I suppose it could be possible if you visit various "dubious' websites and have some sort of account set up there.   I've found some gaming sites, computer sites, and network security sites that had forums, but were blacklisted by my AV/software firewall/browser security settings, because as I found out by going there against my computer's wishes, an intrusion attempt occurs.  Without a firewall monitoring suspicious activity, I might not have known it was no good.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

This discussion has been closed.