Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those who have been hacked (possible solution)

LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

If you have been "hacked," if you can access your NCSoft Master Account using your account username (not the NC email) then you can save your account. Whoever is doing this is not changing the NC master stuff, apparently.

If you can log in to your NC account, you can see the email for your Guild Wars (and 2, if they are linked) accounts. You can also change the password for your GW account. Knowing the new email and having changed the password, you can log into the guildwars2 website and change your email to something else (I would NOT use the same email as before).

If this works for you, please bump this so more people see it. We need to spread the word for those who have fallen victim to phishing or third-party sites or whatever.

If this works, you should change your GW password, your NCSoft password, and any other game passwords that are the same or similar. Having breached you once, they are more likely to try again to get that account in the near future. It would also be a good idea to update your security questions at NCSoft, and de-authorize all locations. You might also want to change any fansite passwords to a third, different password to prevent future attempts later. Remember to make fansite passwords and game passwords different, and make those different from master account passwords. Make all these different from real-world services like banking. You can never be too safe, and even if you have several passwords like I do, it is better safe than sorry.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Not to stir up trouble but are we going to see a heap a posts saying that ANET have an employee selling details or that ANET servers have been hacked but ANET are keeping quiet?  You know just like we've had with WoW for the last 5 years?

Run's away

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    It sounds like there is a large Phishing campaign already, which means people are gladly handing over account details to 'hackers' too, then complaining they were "hacked".   Not much you can do about that.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    I really don't understand why anet jut doesn't do an authenticator. I mean, it's no doubt n awesome game that is drawing a lot of attention.  Just make the authenticator and get it over with so I can feel safe lol
  • CrazylikeCrazylike Member CommonPosts: 89
    Im getting spammed with "Requested password reset" emails from ANet, but I never requested to reset my password, so something is obviously going on. Im not sure why anyone would do this though, as they apparently dont have access to my email, as my password still havent changed.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258

I recently got an email saying that a password reset was requested. It looked pretty legitimate but im guessing it was a phising email that would have requested my old password for a reset. People should just ignore emails like these. Problem is it's very hard to tell which emails are legitimate. With WoW I remember there were small differences between these emails so you could tell. With these it's hard to. To anyone who's gotten these emails, ignore em if you can and try reset it directly through the gw2 site

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Praetalus
    I really don't understand why anet jut doesn't do an authenticator. I mean, it's no doubt n awesome game that is drawing a lot of attention.  Just make the authenticator and get it over with so I can feel safe lol

They have a 2 step authentication method you can enable which requires you to authorize the computer, etc... Most people don't turn it on.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by Mors-Subita
    Originally posted by Praetalus I really don't understand why anet jut doesn't do an authenticator. I mean, it's no doubt n awesome game that is drawing a lot of attention.  Just make the authenticator and get it over with so I can feel safe lol
    They have a 2 step authentication method you can enable which requires you to authorize the computer, etc... Most people don't turn it on.

For Guild Wars accounts? Not NCSoft master? If so, I am afraid I am not familiar with it.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Leodious

Originally posted by Mors-Subita

Originally posted by Praetalus I really don't understand why anet jut doesn't do an authenticator. I mean, it's no doubt n awesome game that is drawing a lot of attention.  Just make the authenticator and get it over with so I can feel safe lol

For Guild Wars accounts? Not NCSoft master? If so, I am afraid I am not familiar with it.

Not familiar with it, either. Mors, can you post the steps to turn that on for GW2?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoganKonlanLoganKonlan Member Posts: 28

and what would that 2 step authentification process be for GW2 accounts?
    As for the GW2 account being "linked" to your NCSoft Master Account...it's not - for me I have Aion, Lineage, GW1...etc, no GW2.

I received no less than 6 of these emails in succession this morning and they are legit. My account was accessed, based on the GW2 account security link, from 6 other locations that were NOT mine.

My username and pw for GW2 are not unique to this game so I'm assuming the hackers have compromised a website somewhere. I have subsequently changed the password. However, NO gold or items are missing from my 5 characters. I did purchase gems last night to open a character slot...coincidence?

Dunno, but for those who are saying that the emails are phishing, THEY'RE NOT.

If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand.