Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD CPU? Think again!

13»

Comments

• matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136

Just to give my experience with this, I have:

Phenom II x6 1100T

(2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC

In Lion's Arch, I get about 27-30 fps on high settings, as compared to 60 in outdoor areas most of the time.  Watching my cpu core usage, combined usage of all 6 cores it doesn't go over 50%.  At the same time my gpu usage is at about 40% with half of it's ram used.  So I'm not real sure what's going on with only getting 27-30 fps.  Doesn't make alot of sense.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    Originally posted by mistafist

In Lion's Arch, I get about 27-30 fps on high settings, as compared to 60 in outdoor areas most of the time.  Watching my cpu core usage, combined usage of all 6 cores it doesn't go over 50%.  At the same time my gpu usage is at about 40% with half of it's ram used.  So I'm not real sure what's going on with only getting 27-30 fps.  Doesn't make alot of sense.

You're processor bound, which is why the video card is only at 40% usage, but the game isn't able to put more than three cores to good use, which is why the processor usage stays below 50%.

• dumbo11dumbo11 Member Posts: 134
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    But it is starting to look like GW2 has a rather bad case of badly-coded syndrome.  If an FX-8150 or a Phenom II X6 1100T can't really run the game that well even at minimum settings, the problem isn't the processors.  The problem is the game.

AFAIK the issue is that GW2 (and certain other recent MMO releases *cough SWTOR cough*) are DX9 based.  I think arenanet have mentioned they may build a DX11 renderer which should allow them to offload more work from the CPU onto the GPU.

• MercurialGMercurialG Member UncommonPosts: 50

I am currenty running an FX-8120 with 8 GB RAM, an SSD, and an old ATI 6670 video card and I have no issues at all.  The game loads within seconds, I get no lag or slowdown at all even in extremely populated areas with effects going off everywhere.  I haven't checked my framerates yet because it has been so smooth that I haven't even thought about it.

• matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Hmm, I'm not sure about the only using 3 cores.  I disabled 3 of the cores for gw2's affinity, and the load on those cores dropped immediately.  Toggling them back on and load on 2 of the cores that were still enabled drops and appears to be somewhat offloaded to the renewed 3.  It does seem to highly favor 3 of the cores though.  Maybe some certain parts of the game are cpu bound and others aren't?  Hmm, I hope this can be fixed with optimizations to the game...
  • mustang2750mustang2750 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    I have an AMD Phenom quad core w an Nvidia GeForce 460 that i built and i get 40 fps on high settings with no slowdown in WvW or huge battles.
  • wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

I'm managing a cybercafe where we have:

Intel I5 2400

AMD Phenom II x4 965BE

AMD FX-6100

Some examples of the games I play and have tested:

League of Legends has the highest FPS (in benchmark mode) on FX-6100, then I5 2400, and finally Phenom II

War Thunder Closed Beta (brilliant game, I must add) works the best on Phenom II and NVIDIA GTX460! (the rest of them have Radeon 6870)

Some other games, like Blur, also work better on AMD.

But other than that, yes, majority of games work better on Intel. Still, I would rather buy AMD when on limited budget (and I'm always on a limited budget :P)

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    Originally posted by dumbo11
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    But it is starting to look like GW2 has a rather bad case of badly-coded syndrome.  If an FX-8150 or a Phenom II X6 1100T can't really run the game that well even at minimum settings, the problem isn't the processors.  The problem is the game.

AFAIK the issue is that GW2 (and certain other recent MMO releases *cough SWTOR cough*) are DX9 based.  I think arenanet have mentioned they may build a DX11 renderer which should allow them to offload more work from the CPU onto the GPU.

It's not that simple.  Yes, DirectX 11 does let you offload some work to the GPU that DirectX 9.0c would have forced you to do on the processor.  But it only helps if you use the DirectX 11 features that do this, and that would mean recoding much of the game from scratch, not just changing a few API calls.  Yes, on an infinite budget, ArenaNet would do this.  But if they were going to, it's much easier to do so when you're writing your game engine in the first place than to try to make very fundamental changes that you know are going to break a ton of things after release.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

I have my i5 2500k set to exactly 4.0Ghz...and a GTX 670 2GB Video Card.

I am loving it!! :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by Z3R01

AMD Phenom IIx6 1100t Black (4.0 OC'd), AMD HD6970 2gig, 16gb Ram, 120g SSD+ 2tb HDDx2, Win7 Pro.

GW2 60fps Lock with Vsync on all the time except in massive WvWvW zerg where i can see a drop to 40-45.

This is almost my exact desktop build except I have an old nvidia GTX 460 1GB, and I'm on max with a good framerate that can sometimes drop as low as 20 - 30 in really big crowds.

• XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by BadSpock

The good folks at Tom's Hardware put GW2 through it's paces - how do things stack up?

On the graphics card end, plenty of great options from both Nvidia and AMD that run the game very well.

But on the processor side - Intel (especially Sandy Bridge) just dominate.

Makes Phenom II owners like myself very, very sad.

Hopefully Anet patches in some better optimization for AMD CPU's!

Read up:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-performance-benchmark,3268-7.html

LOL I use AMD always have max fps my monitor is 32 inch 60 hrz and I go over 60 fps and bounce to 58 some times have Ambient forced in Nvidia controll panel using AMD bulldozer 8 core black no OC on Nvidia 680 ROG.

• XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107
    OP has to be a troll or just has a sub par PC... Or did not update to new nvidia drivers to aug 27 beta.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by XPraetorianX
    Originally posted by BadSpock

The good folks at Tom's Hardware put GW2 through it's paces - how do things stack up?

On the graphics card end, plenty of great options from both Nvidia and AMD that run the game very well.

But on the processor side - Intel (especially Sandy Bridge) just dominate.

Makes Phenom II owners like myself very, very sad.

Hopefully Anet patches in some better optimization for AMD CPU's!

Read up:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-performance-benchmark,3268-7.html

LOL I use AMD always have max fps my monitor is 32 inch 60 hrz and I go over 60 fps and bounce to 58 some times have Ambient forced in Nvidia controll panel using AMD bulldozer 8 core black no OC on Nvidia 680 ROG.

Very nice!