Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Think I just got hacked >.>

Comments

• xdragonfistxdragonfist Member CommonPosts: 16

You could possibly get this fixed if you had a guild wars 1 account and linked them. This account is processed through www.ncsoft.com and your main account.

You should be able to log into your main account and see the new email address that your guildwars1/(Linked gw2) was changed to.

You can then change the password through ncsofts password change area, login to your account at guildwars2.com and make the necessary changes to your account.

I would suggest changing the email address to something different.

Also before you do any of this make sure you run a few scans on your computer to make sure you are not infected.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    huh, just notice too i have same email.
  • vaeiouvaeiou Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by xdragonfist

You could possibly get this fixed if you had a guild wars 1 account and linked them. This account is processed through www.ncsoft.com and your main account.

You should be able to log into your main account and see the new email address that your guildwars1/(Linked gw2) was changed to.

You can then change the password through ncsofts password change area, login to your account at guildwars2.com and make the necessary changes to your account.

I would suggest changing the email address to something different.

Also before you do any of this make sure you run a few scans on your computer to make sure you are not infected.

The problem is that I can't even log into my account.  The email's been changed.

League of Legends | Guild Wars 2
    Follow me at:
    mostlygamingblog
    Twitter

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

FYI emails cannot "embed" fake links. They have to contain REAL links, and the one you provided goes to the official GW2 site (ip lookup confirmed).

I got that same email, and it was a hacker using one of those huge customer hacked lists with my email on it to hopefully snag my account. The fool didn't realize I'd changed my passwords 3 times in the past 5months :)!

Either way, you should call GW2 support rather than do the ticket stuff. I've had a ticket in for 6days now to retrieve my GW1 account but they're swamped as hell with GW2 stuff.

ArenaNet doesn't have a GW2 support number to call.

Follow me at:
    mostlygamingblog
    Twitter

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Never EVER click links in your email, always use direct sites you either bookmarked or by typing the URL.

Links always use keylogers / malware / spying software / etc etc.

Change your password and you should be good, but never click links.

• MangaMaidenMangaMaiden Member Posts: 180
    Recieved the exact same email today. :/ Usually get them for Warcraft or Runescape and I have never even played Runescape! o.o

• DrafellDrafell Member Posts: 588

As an additional precaution - NEVER LOAD IMAGES from an email source that you do not recognize.

The images are a method that is commonly used to track when an email is actually opened and read. Don't ask how it works, I just know that it does.

Originally posted by Drafell

As an additional precaution - NEVER LOAD IMAGES from an email source that you do not recognize.

The images are a method that is commonly used to track when an email is actually opened and read. Don't ask how it works, I just know that it does.

Email was legit.  Link was legit.

Follow me at:
    mostlygamingblog
    Twitter

• xdragonfistxdragonfist Member CommonPosts: 16

For www.ncsoft.com, you might have login name and email address that you can both use to log into your accounts.

This is was I was able to do to get my account back.

Of course my account was linked to my gw1 account which allowed me to make changes on ncsoft.com, which in turn allowed me to see what my email was changed to, changed the password, logged into gw2.com with the account information I found, and made the changes needed to keep my account private from now on.

• MorninglordMorninglord Member UncommonPosts: 15

I received one of those emails as well. I ran a check on the IP address it came from, and it showed the mail came from Austin, TX from NC Interactive. Now it may be possible to mask the true IP and make it seem like it came from there, but perhaps NC Soft may want to check and see if they have an employee with less than honorable intentions.

Morninglord

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

anyone able to give that link where Anet gives advice to logging problems "turn off your firewall and then write your log in data"

it will help bla bla

Edit : like this thread here ,was these advices from Anet ? http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5243260#5243260

what is that guide ?

Let's internet

• ElronirElronir Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by vaeiou

Found this in my email just then from [email protected]:

"Someone -hopefully you!- has requested to change the email address associated with your Guild Wars account.

Need help or have questions about your Guild Wars account? Visit our support site: http://support.guildwars2.com/.

Thanks!

-The ArenaNet Team"

Except I didn't request for an email change.  Now I can't log into my account.  I've already left ANet a ticket/question.  Hopefully I can get my account back in one piece :-(

EDIT:  A lot of people are telling me not to click on the link in fear of keyloggers and stuff.  I DID NOT CLICK ON THE LINK AND ENTER MY INFORMATION.  I entered my account information into the GW2 CLIENT and received an error that my account name doesn't exist.  Besides, the link is legit, and so is the ArenaNet email.  So, please stop telling me not to click the link, to login to my account, or to change my password since I can't even get into my account.

EDIT 2:  Sent one ticket to ArenaNet, and one to NCSoft.  Any bets to see who responds first?

Same email here. I immediatly went into my Guild wars 2 to sign in, but it couldn't find my account name. Same for GW1. I don't understand how it's so easy to change a username. I never received an email asking me to confirm the change... My guess is that it's some kind of database problem, since we are not alone and a few peoples on other forum are reporting the same issue.

• MagicDustManMagicDustMan Member Posts: 4
    I can safely tell you that the vast majority of these accounts are indeed beeing stolen, and it is not a DB issue. You wouldn't get the email about the change if it was. It happens because people have a tendency to use the same password for a lot of things. One of the sites you belong to stored their passwords in plain text, and you used your e-mail when you signed up. That site got hacked and the list was made public on the internet. Script kiddies have been hitting the lists hard, especially since 12AM Pacific time today. It will be days before you get your account back, but you should get it back. Hopefully with any special edition items you paid for and never used. I might be inclined to tell them I want a who new special edtion serial in that case.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

phishers gonna phish

i never ever ever ever ever ever click on any link in any e-mail...ever!  I'll open up my browser and put in the link manually (if it's a site I know) or i'll log into my account off the website or game and go from there.  Even if I initiate a forgot password or something and I'm getting the e-mail 1 min later, I still put it in manually.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

These aren't phishing emails, they are legit emails from ncsoft.  Why it's happening, I don't know.

But I just got one myself.  I deleted it completely from my inbox, on the off chance someone had access to my email to do a password reset, and then changed my email password.

Originally posted by Gravarg

phishers gonna phish

i never ever ever ever ever ever click on any link in any e-mail...ever!  I'll open up my browser and put in the link manually (if it's a site I know) or i'll log into my account off the website or game and go from there.  Even if I initiate a forgot password or something and I'm getting the e-mail 1 min later, I still put it in manually.

People keep saying this. Let us try the facts here in bold.

It is not a scam. People had their account e-mails changed, and this e-mail notified them of that. It does not even ask for your info. They didn't enter anything in a site and cannot log in after getting this e-mail.

The e-mail has a legit link. It links to support directly. This is easy to see. Support accounts are seperate from game acccount anyway.

It is a legit e-mail. The e-mail headers point to NC Soft servers. This is not easily spoofed.

That and I already told you why the vast majority of these cases are occuring.

There are also other e-mails letting you know someone tried to reset your PW, but they can't do that without access to your e-mail account.

Originally posted by adam_nox

These aren't phishing emails, they are legit emails from ncsoft.  Why it's happening, I don't know.

But I just got one myself.  I deleted it completely from my inbox, on the off chance someone had access to my email to do a password reset, and then changed my email password.

If you got an email that your account was changed, then you would not have been able to log in with that e-mail again. Sounds like you just got one that someone was trying to access your account. Then they hit reset PW for the heck of it. They most likely have your e-mail address from one of the harvested lists I was talking about before. You might want to look into that, and be sure to try to use different passwords for different sites. You can use something like keepass to keep track of them all in keep the database in dropbox or google drive. It is all free. It is what I do for 95% of my accounts for that reason.

Thanks for the help guys.  I've learnt my lesson and have been changing my passwords.  Hopefully I get my account back soon :-(

Follow me at:
    mostlygamingblog
    Twitter

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Originally posted by vaeiou

Found this in my email just then from [email protected]:

"Someone -hopefully you!- has requested to change the email address associated with your Guild Wars account.

Need help or have questions about your Guild Wars account? Visit our support site: http://support.guildwars2.com/.

Thanks!

-The ArenaNet Team"

Except I didn't request for an email change.  Now I can't log into my account.  I've already left ANet a ticket/question.  Hopefully I can get my account back in one piece :-(

EDIT:  A lot of people are telling me not to click on the link in fear of keyloggers and stuff.  I DID NOT CLICK ON THE LINK AND ENTER MY INFORMATION.  I entered my account information into the GW2 CLIENT and received an error that my account name doesn't exist.  Besides, the link is legit, and so is the ArenaNet email.  So, please stop telling me not to click the link, to login to my account, or to change my password since I can't even get into my account.

EDIT 2:  Sent one ticket to ArenaNet, and one to NCSoft.  Any bets to see who responds first?

I had this problem too. I started to panic because I've had my account for 6+ years. Try logging in with your username. Not your email (for your NCsoft account). You can then go in and update/upgrade your passwords for guild wars and any other games you have. Put some armor on your NCsoft password while you're at it too

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER click on links in emails when it comes to any type of account, game or not.

Exit your freaking email, close all your internet browsers, re-open one and go DIRECTLY to whatever website the account is from, log in...then do what you need to do.

Why take the chance just to save a few seconds by clicking on a link.

• rimaxo14rimaxo14 Member Posts: 118
    I clicked the link but exited currently running spyware it seems alot of people got this ethier there was an error on anet side or hackers are going crazy.

EVGA FTW-3 MOBO X58
    EVGA GTX 580
    G.SKILL RIPJAW 12GB
    INTEL I7 950
    CORSAIR H70 CPU COOLER
    CORSAIR 1200W 80+GOLD

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Morninglord

I received one of those emails as well. I ran a check on the IP address it came from, and it showed the mail came from Austin, TX from NC Interactive. Now it may be possible to mask the true IP and make it seem like it came from there, but perhaps NC Soft may want to check and see if they have an employee with less than honorable intentions.

Morninglord

I posted it in another thread, so I'll repeat it here as well. This isn't an explanation of all the emails (some accounts have actually been hacked) but rather an explanation why you are receiving these particular ones:

The hackers are running through the emails they have from the master lists they own from previous hacked games. If the person has had a GW1 or GW2 account, it triggers the above legitimate email to be sent to the email address on the account.

Account holders receive these legitimate emails and go to the legitimate GW2 site to check. Most will be consoled that it was a legitimate email and their account is safe. The actual phishing email will come later. The purpose of the first step is to get gamers to start to trust these emails. Most gamers have become immune to phishing attempts, and I'm quite sure this probably negatively affected actual MoP beta participation over the past couple months as the barrage of 'beta invites' has been insane.

The next time gamers get these emails, many will trust them because they just experienced a legitimate email that ended in a positive outcome (account was verified as safe). However, the next email will be the actual phishing attempt.

As an added note, if "hopefully you!" is in parens, it means there was a password request. If it is in dashes, it is a password change confirmation.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ShingetsuShingetsu Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I just got this e-mail as well. It looked legit. Maybe there was an error on ArenaNet's side?
  • dumbo11dumbo11 Member Posts: 134
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Morninglord

Morninglord

I posted it in another thread, so I'll repeat it here as well. This isn't an explanation of all the emails (some accounts have actually been hacked) but rather an explanation why you are receiving these particular ones:

The hackers are running through the emails they have from the master lists they own from previous hacked games. If the person has had a GW1 or GW2 account, it triggers the above legitimate email to be sent to the email address on the account.

Account holders receive these legitimate emails and go to the legitimate GW2 site to check. Most will be consoled that it was a legitimate email and their account is safe. The actual phishing email will come later. The purpose of the first step is to get gamers to start to trust these emails. Most gamers have become immune to phishing attempts, and I'm quite sure this probably negatively affected actual MoP beta participation over the past couple months as the barrage of 'beta invites' has been insane.

The next time gamers get these emails, many will trust them because they just experienced a legitimate email that ended in a positive outcome (account was verified as safe). However, the next email will be the actual phishing attempt.

Personally, IMHO it's more likely that they are:

- running a stolen list of username/passwords against the GW2 login.

- if they can't login, they send your username to the "forgot password" URL, and then try the same username/password against your email.

Standard lessons:

- do not *ever* click on links in emails.

- use a separate password for everything.  Get a notebook and write passwords in it.

- make sure to run anti-malware/virus checks periodically "just in case".

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by Doomedfox
     That would also mean that your Email account is compromised tho.

I got the same mail yesterday but since you would need to click the link to accept the PW change i think i am fine.

At least i was ablt to log in and did not expierience any problems with the account. 

No, it doesn't. The guildwars2 . com website allows you to change the email with ZERO secondary or third-party site (i.e., from your email) authorization. If they can log into your guild wars account, they can change the email. They don't need access to your email to change it.

Edit: I feel nearly certain that dumbo has the right of it in this case.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

This discussion has been closed.