Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Is Guild Wars 2 The MMO Savior?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Arguably, Guild Wars 2 is one of the most highly anticipated MMOs coming this year. But can it, will it, live up to its promise? Time will tell. In the Devil's Advocate today, we take a look at that. Read on and leave your thoughts in the comments.

Two weeks ago, I mentioned in a column piece about The Secret World that I value informed opinions and the abolition of knee-jerk reactions to new information and opinions. Specifically, I mentioned that if you have a well-thought out review to or opinion on an MMO, and I see it, I am the type who would shake your hand and defend your right to say it, even if I disagreed with your assessment.

This thought came to mind mostly because it'll be interesting to see who goes straight to the comments and who reads the entire piece once I mention my next bit. Today's Devil's Advocate is here to commemorate the release of Guild Wars 2 by saying, quite plainly, that Guild Wars 2 is not the savior of massively multiplayer gaming. Again, notice the name of this column before getting out your pitchforks (Devil’s Advocate).

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s The Devil's Advocate: Is Guild Wars 2 The MMO Savior?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Very well written. One of the best on this site.
  • shalhassanshalhassan Member UncommonPosts: 43
    You have some valid points here, but in the past, mmos have changed from the subscription model to the free to play with a cash shop model. SOE has almost entirely converted it's entire library of MMOs to this model, and they have shown an increase in profits and, as a result, sustainability of the game.

DDO, LOTRO, Aion, and several other games have shown a similar amount of success with this model, and for the most part they didnt have the initial influx of a million preorders. They have shown that there are many people willing to spend more than the 15/month on the microtransactions, and still feel as though their money is better spent than on a sub. I think that GW2 will prove to have similar success with this model, and after the initial rush it will maintain a healthy fan base to keep it rolling through the years.

"A single battle you have won, but so quick to think that this will be the end? I, like fear, am eternal, and in your dreams, I shall forever haunt."

• ScaryboosterScarybooster Member UncommonPosts: 24
    We all know WoW is the savior of MMOs pfft! Guild Wars 2 is a great game but 1 game can't save a genre that doesn't need saving. All the games together make up a unique genre that requires a lot of fresh ideas and mountains of money. It's every game for itself and any future game will be the savior because a savior never comes unless you're open to saving yourself first.
    Signed by me
  • shalhassanshalhassan Member UncommonPosts: 43
    I appologize for the grammar. Writing on a phone isn't fun.

"A single battle you have won, but so quick to think that this will be the end? I, like fear, am eternal, and in your dreams, I shall forever haunt."

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

I'm playing the game, but doing my best to avoid the majority of the community outside of it.

Totally agree with this article, though I don't think GW2 is a savior, more of a small evolution of themepark MMOs.

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
     I do not know about savior or anything along those lines. I do think it is going to keep a big following because although not terribly difficult so far the game play is fast paced and fun.  If it gets better towards later levels then people are going to play and have fun. It is well made, runs fantastic, combat is fun, polished.  Seems like they took a whole lot of other peoples ideas and made them their own, then they polished it very well. Sounds like something another game did before it took off.
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Not the (a) "savior" noe will there ever likely be. Such a thing is a myth, nothing "perfect" is likely to ever come around.
  • victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212

Actually, what would be nice is if GW2 and WoW had honest-to-goodness housing. Of course, I had no way to put that in the article, as it's not related to the point at all... so call this  my little tidbit for the day.

PS: Apologies if I didn't respond to anyone last week. I'm studying for some exams for Graudate School at the moment. :)

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I'm doing my part - already spent 20$ in the shop and will probably spend 20$ soon for more bank space, more dyes, more bag space, maybe some Mystic Keys...

It really is a strange thing to want to voluntarily give money to the developes in a per-transaction basis.

I've been playing nothing but subscription MMORPG's since 1999 - this whole B2P + cash shop thing is new and different and strange to me.

But I really do ahve the urge to spend and spend and spend - I think once I get these things I "need" my purchases will stop for a while, I can't see myself spending money for boosts or for skins - I'd rather earn skins and craft boosts.

But the occasional Mystic Key when the Chests don't roll my way and give me more Keys or the occasional Gem for Gold transaction to support my in-game needs so I don't have to grind for cash... I can see myself doing that.

It is amazing to know that even if I never spend another dime I will continue to be able to play GW2 - that I don't have 30 days to decide if I want to keep playing or not.

Not having the preasure of trying to get my 15/mo worth is... remarkably refreshing after 13 years of almost non-stop subscription fees.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

If they want people to spend money they need to get some better items in the cash shop (I didnt say P2W items... I just said better)

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841
    The only thing that can make MMOs better at this point is to make them virtual reality like .hack or Sword Online. Not those screens that you put over your face which is what everyone is working on now. I'm talking Matrix type of stuff.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    He doesn't have very valid points. For one, he's basically saying in conclusion that we shouldn't say anything to naysayers and just let them bash the game to death and that GW2 needs us to save it, as if it's doing very poorly or some nonsense. Really? I've read it has record sales and as far as the naysayers go, no i won't shuttup about the game because they won't and letting them spin nonsense about this title is the equivolent of giving bad news a parrot to repeat lies told to us on television stations daily. It's not right or fair.
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    GW2 is good casual fun, and I enjoy playing it. But, long-term will head to other games. One million sales at launch isn't a jaw dropping number so I think we have to think now the game is good, but it isn't going re-write the record books, more add to what was already there on the mmo landscape.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    GW2 is good casual fun, and I enjoy playing it. But, long-term will head to other games. One million sales at launch isn't a jaw dropping number so I think we have to think now the game is good, but it isn't going re-write the record books, more add to what was already there on the mmo landscape.

As i stated int he thread about the 1 million sales... that was pre-purchase (fully paid for game for access to beta + head start weekend), which were available until a few days before the head start weekend. That is not counting regular pre-orders + actual sales on launch day. Guessing it will be much closer to, if not at least a little over 2m once all those are added in.

Originally posted by kaiser3282

As i stated int he thread about the 1 million sales... that was pre-purchase (fully paid for game for access to beta + head start weekend), which were available until a few days before the head start weekend. That is not counting regular pre-orders + actual sales on launch day. Guessing it will be much closer to, if not at least a little over 2m once all those are added in.

The 1 million sales and 400K playing concurently is probably the high water mark for the game. Yes, the number of box sales will go up over time post-launch, and especially when game box cost is slashed, but I don't think they will get to 2 million concurently playing, Proof of this is the lack of servers at launch and the use of overflow servers. 

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

The 1 million sales and 400K playing concurently is probably the high water mark for the game. Yes, the number of box sales will go up over time post-launch, and especially when game box cost is slashed, but I don't think they will get to 2 million concurently playing, Proof of this is the lack of servers at launch and the use of overflow servers. 

You think pre-launch is the high mark? I dont think your egetting what I (and the article) are saying. That was PRE-launch sales. that doesnt account for people who just threw a few bucks down to pre-order it and picked it up yesterday, or regular sales. Game wasnt even officially launched yet with 1m sales and 400k concurrent players.

• LavecLavec Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Rescue it? There's nothing to rescue, just enjoy it and its evolution. It has the potential to grow into a behemoth or dwindle to a healthy loyal following. GW had modest beginnings and grew over time. It probably peaked 2-3 years in. I predict GW2 will outlive WoW but only because WoW is so out dated now. Long live GW2.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    yeah. the writer lost me at "prisoners of the hype machine." this is an opinion that keeps being thrown out that fans couldn't posssibly form their own, positive opinions about the game. it completely ignores the fact that many of us had been playing since the first bwe. in fact, i would say that because we have been able to play, we abandoned the hype train for excitement based on our own experiences. but essentially the original phrase annoys me because the writer obviously assumes that gw2 fans are just mindless winged monkeys who do and believe what anet tells them to, which both wrong and pretty insulting.
  • i_evil_ii_evil_i Member UncommonPosts: 13

...as for sustainability for Arenanet as a money maker...I don't think they will be based soley on a cash shop. I am guessing they will also come out with seperate expansions as with GW1 (Factions, Nightfall + EON).

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

The problem with The Secret World and Guild Wars 2 is this: I'm being told what to do and where to go... the entire time.

I don't have any control of my destiny. Sometimes I want to shift the engine in neutral and just hang out. I want to plant a house, start a player city, attack rival cities, experience deep crafting, and start a player shop.

I can't do any of this in these Theme Park games.

ArcheAge, IMO, looks to be the sustainer of MMOs. We'll see, though.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Victor Barreiro does not understand the point.

Of course WvW can turn out to be bad, of course DEs could be boring. We are going to see soon.

GW2 is something special because of all the things they do differently. No trinity, no item-grind, etc. It is the exact opposite to MMOs like SWTOR, where everything is the old same as it has been the past 10 years.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

You think pre-launch is the high mark? I dont think your egetting what I (and the article) are saying. That was PRE-launch sales. that doesnt account for people who just threw a few bucks down to pre-order it and picked it up yesterday, or regular sales. Game wasnt even officially launched yet with 1m sales and 400k concurrent players.

Pre-launch is where most of the action is for mmo games. People don't buy older games in such volume. Reality is the numbers of servers ArenaNet/NCsoft has for the game, not so many, so clearly they aren't seeing a 10 million game anythime soon. No, GW2 has done alright...it just hasn't blown everyone away in the gaming world 1 millioni is a long way from the 10 million DIablo 3 got. 

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I think people need to stop looking for some monolithic "winner" of the genre, and just pick one or more they enjoy and play them.  I'm currently enjoying GW2 and TSW, and both are really good games.  If the sandbox game I have in my sig turns out to be the great game it looks to be, then I won't have time for either of the two I am playing now.  Then again, maybe Planetside 2 will surprise me, and I will end up playing that instead.

Frankly, I don't care, as long as I am having fun.   I don't need the general population to agree that my games are the best games.  This is no longer a market where one game is going to destroy all the others.  It has grown into a diverse genre with something for just about everyone (though us sandbox players are still waiting).  If you can't look out there and find one you like, you are probably your own problem.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• LavecLavec Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

The problem with The Secret World and Guild Wars 2 is this: I'm being told what to do and where to go...

I don't have any control of my destiny. Sometimes I want to shift the engine in neutral and just hang out. I want to plant a house, start a player city, attack rival cities, experience deep crafting, and start a player shop.

I can't do any of this in these Theme Park games.

ArcheAge, IMO, looks to be the sustainer of MMOs. We'll see, though.

Your opinion is very valid and clearly GW2 is not the game for you but I do wonder why you and many others feel compelled to comment like this. Imagine I said, the problem with a VW Golf is that it doesn't have 4WD and I can't take it off-road - it would be a pretty stupid statement because it's not what a Golf is designed for. At least you are not being rude and insulting in your comments. I hope ArcheAge is the game for you.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Im going to say the OP is wrong in a sense..

GW2 is an mmo savior for many of us in the WoW/classic mmo player aftermarket, i like many others was about finished with MMo gaming until GW2 came along..

Does that mean everyone will love it?

No..But for them there is already a gazillion games for many of us there is now a choice..

But it is nice to have options and choices because the mmo player aftermarket is huge and for the most part it has been an unheard, neglected and abandoned playerbase that was starving for a different approach and anet gets that..

GW2 is an amazing milestone in mmo developement and the more players play it the more clear it becomes just how different it is..

Playing GW2..