Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: One Million Sold, 400k Concurrent Users During Head Start

124»

Comments

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by Knightblast
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    I see recall reading that ncsoft was expecting 3-4 million in the first year. Can't find the source, but did read the financial report.

I think the numbers are a bit low for NCSoft to be happy. Remember since there is no sub to the game there only other method for making more money is the buy to win cash shop. 1 million is dwarfed by Diablo 3, so while GW2 is doing good sales it isn't blowing away the competition by the looks of it.

You must not have played GW1. It is likely that GW2 will have a similar content delivery modle. Every 6-9 months a b2p content expansion will be released, that will expand the game greatly, and drive profit since the initial system is what represents the cost of most MMOs.  And since ANET owns their servers, and was making money off of GW1 while developing GW2 without sinking much money into it (sparse content patches), the inital pre-sales probably have already netted a profit. Remember AoC initial sales = 2mil in profit, and they completely re-wrote the engine.

This is where the GW2 fanboi fantasies start to emerge in fact ArenaNet stated in public interviews that they didn't want to do standalone expansions for GW2. They have not announced any plans for them.

Likely for the next months ArenaNet will focus on bugs and gameplay/server issues. Their two main means of generating money box sales of GW2 and cash shop.

If ArenaNet had smashed sales records with 10 million you could fairly right that this is the greatest mmo game to ever hit, as it is though it looks likely to be smaller game than that with maybe a few hundred K of poeple logging in every night in a few months of time after all the hype dies down.

What they actually said was that they do not plan to make any STANDALONE expansion (i.e., expansions that can be played without the base game).  They have certainly not ruled out traditional expansions which require the base game to play (like EQ, EQ2, WoW, etc.).  See:  http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/15/guild-wars-2-to-avoid-retail-mmo-expansion-model/

This. There's no way GW2 will not get any xpacs. That will be one of the main sources of income. 

They haven't, though, announced any to date or even that they might want to make any. What seems more likely is DLC-type content through the cash shop, I think.  That is much less risk orientated and profit effective, which is likely the direction NCsoft wants...i.e. the strong cash shop driving profits beyond GW2 inital purchase. After all, you could pick up a DLC dungeon and some in-game enhancements at the same time by this model.

The game officially launched 1 day ago.... why would they be announcing new expansions already? Knowing Anet theyve got some general ideas planned, but are waiting to see more feedback regarding current content to really solidify what theyll do for the next release. They have a tendency to listen to player reactions and feedback much more closely than most companies out there.

This is where the fanobois let their fantasies run riot. ArenaNet were doing interviews pre-launch where they stated they didn't want to do stand alone expansions. 

Day 1 is actually also when GW2 sales will peak. The hype and headstart prompts folks to reach out for their credit cards and make that purchase. After launch the hype deminishes and so does the sales. 

Standalone expansions is what they had in GW1. As in you could buy any of the expansions and play it alone, with its own seperate content and leveling from the start without having to buy the original game. No Standalone expansion does not = no expansion.

BTW, this is where trolls let their hatred blind them to even understanding the meaning of their own words and give them a wonderful ability to misunderstand and misinterpret nearly anything said by anyone.

• sargey123sargey123 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    congrats! with no real commercial advertising i'd say that's a pretty impressive feat

yup ! very well done without anything more needed :D hope more to come !

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    I see recall reading that ncsoft was expecting 3-4 million in the first year. Can't find the source, but did read the financial report.

I think the numbers are a bit low for NCSoft to be happy. Remember since there is no sub to the game there only other method for making more money is the buy to win cash shop. 1 million is dwarfed by Diablo 3, so while GW2 is doing good sales it isn't blowing away the competition by the looks of it.

You must not have played GW1. It is likely that GW2 will have a similar content delivery modle. Every 6-9 months a b2p content expansion will be released, that will expand the game greatly, and drive profit since the initial system is what represents the cost of most MMOs.  And since ANET owns their servers, and was making money off of GW1 while developing GW2 without sinking much money into it (sparse content patches), the inital pre-sales probably have already netted a profit. Remember AoC initial sales = 2mil in profit, and they completely re-wrote the engine.

This is where the GW2 fanboi fantasies start to emerge in fact ArenaNet stated in public interviews that they didn't want to do standalone expansions for GW2. They have not announced any plans for them.

Likely for the next months ArenaNet will focus on bugs and gameplay/server issues. Their two main means of generating money box sales of GW2 and cash shop.

If ArenaNet had smashed sales records with 10 million you could fairly right that this is the greatest mmo game to ever hit, as it is though it looks likely to be smaller game than that with maybe a few hundred K of poeple logging in every night in a few months of time after all the hype dies down.

What they actually said was that they do not plan to make any STANDALONE expansion (i.e., expansions that can be played without the base game).  They have certainly not ruled out traditional expansions which require the base game to play (like EQ, EQ2, WoW, etc.).  See:  http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/15/guild-wars-2-to-avoid-retail-mmo-expansion-model/

This. There's no way GW2 will not get any xpacs. That will be one of the main sources of income. 

They haven't, though, announced any to date or even that they might want to make any. What seems more likely is DLC-type content through the cash shop, I think.  That is much less risk orientated and profit effective, which is likely the direction NCsoft wants...i.e. the strong cash shop driving profits beyond GW2 inital purchase. After all, you could pick up a DLC dungeon and some in-game enhancements at the same time by this model.

The game officially launched 1 day ago.... why would they be announcing new expansions already? Knowing Anet theyve got some general ideas planned, but are waiting to see more feedback regarding current content to really solidify what theyll do for the next release. They have a tendency to listen to player reactions and feedback much more closely than most companies out there.

This is where the fanobois let their fantasies run riot. ArenaNet were doing interviews pre-launch where they stated they didn't want to do stand alone expansions. 

Day 1 is actually also when GW2 sales will peak. The hype and headstart prompts folks to reach out for their credit cards and make that purchase. After launch the hype deminishes and so does the sales. 

Standalone expansions is what they had in GW1. As in you could buy any of the expansions and play it alone, with its own seperate content and leveling from the start without having to buy the original game. No Standalone expansion does not = no expansion.

BTW, this is where trolls let their hatred blind them to even understanding the meaning of their own words and give them a wonderful ability to misunderstand and misinterpret nearly anything said by anyone.

Except GW2 is a different game from GW1 and they have gone on the record stating they didn't want to make GW1 style expansions for it. As I wrote above I think smaller DLC content is likely path as it involves smaller overheads and maxes out cash shop potential, cash shop is NCsofts prefered means of generating post-box sale revenue for games.

I should also point out that 1 million sales isn't that much for a game, it's much less than SWTOR for example last year. GW2 will do alright, but this isn't a Diablo 3 with 10 million box sales most likely any time soon.

Except GW2 is a different game from GW1 and they have gone on the record stating they didn't want to make GW1 style expansions for it. As I wrote above I think smaller DLC content is likely path as it involves smaller overheads and maxes out cash shop potential, cash shop is NCsofts prefered means of generating post-box sale revenue for games.

I should also point out that 1 million sales isn't that much for a game, it's much less than SWTOR for example last year. GW2 will do alright, but this isn't a Diablo 3 with 10 million box sales most likely any time soon.

I really dont know how else to explain this to you. We KNOW theyre not doing GW1 style expansions. Those were stand alone expansions, like i explained, which allow you to play JUST the expansion. You dont have to purchase the original GW1. JUST the expansion. Thats what stand alone means.

GW1 = stand alone expansions

Most MMOs in existance, including WoW = regular expansion, not standalone, still need to purchase the original game AND the expansions to play the expansion.... this is what they will be doing instead of what they did with GW1

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335
    only 1 million copies sold for the savior of the mmo universe.  the second coming of video game nirvana sold less than swtor, which according to most people failed miserably.  guess we can lump gw2 right in there with swtor now.
    Originally posted by hardicon
    only 1 million copies sold for the savior of the mmo universe.  the second coming of video game nirvana sold less than swtor, which according to most people failed miserably.  guess we can lump gw2 right in there with swtor now.

SWTOR sold because of the names Star Wars and Bioware, not because it was a good game.  You putt Star Wars on nearly anything, it will sell. Yet whats the current state of the game, and how many subs have they lost already....?

Btw, love how everyone trying to say it failed completely misses the ppoint that it had 1 million PRE-PURCHASES, as in before the head start week began. Not launch day sales. So its actually 1 million + whatever they sold over the weekend & yesterday.

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335
    actually i dont think it failed at all, one million is great although I am a bit surprised it is that low, I expected it to be higher.  but with the way these forums are around here and throwing out the word fail on every game that comes out, im sure it wont be long before people start throwing around the fail word.  unless mmorpg.com fans give it a free pass like they have for every other flaw the game has, like some people in this thread already about how it sold a million with no advertising, none, not any, just word of mouth.  yeah right, im sure half the known world knows about gw2 releasing, at the very least the entire gaming populace is aware and that is who would buy the game anyway. 
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

Well, i expected a million copies easy from a game with this much anticipation and hype nowadays. The question remains, are the majority already playing, or will normal launch have more players?

IMO, the pre-purshuce will be bigger, like most mmorpgs. My prediction was always of about 1.5 million in the first month (don't know about the future since i don't read it). Hvae to wait and see.

I also wonder if this meets NCsoft's desires.

What they said was they sold over 1 million PRE-PURCHASE copies ONLY, they didn't count the pre-orders, todays digital sales and I doubt they have a real information of how many copies was sold on the 1st day in retail stores. So I expect numbers to get bigger as we get the real sales number.

Most of the people who were going to play this game already pre purchased it. Sales today probably were in the few thousand, maybe 10's of thousands.  If it was a substantial number they would mentioned it in thier report

What makes you think that? My few friends who never played MMORPGs just bought the game today, my other 6 friends which love mmorpgs bought the game 2 days ago because they wanted to see the game before they buy it, so after checking the game out at my place they all bought it...

People are buying this game and it's growing since the head-start... Can't wait to see the numbers of total sales, might enlighten few of the know-it-alls :D

And again, people who posted with replies "1 million copies sold" - that's not what the report says... They stated it's 1 million PREPURCHASE sales, which doesn't contain preorder sales nor does it contain the sales from the launch day and so on...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

I really dont know how else to explain this to you. We KNOW theyre not doing GW1 style expansions. Those were stand alone expansions, like i explained, which allow you to play JUST the expansion. You dont have to purchase the original GW1. JUST the expansion. Thats what stand alone means.

GW1 = stand alone expansions

Most MMOs in existance, including WoW = regular expansion, not standalone, still need to purchase the original game AND the expansions to play the expansion.... this is what they will be doing instead of what they did with GW1

Well, whatever, but I will bet you that ArenaNet go down the path of smaller DLC for the game that can be bought via the cash shop. This is much cheaper for them to do and will maximize their profits. After all GW2 didn't do 10 million in pre-sales, so any stand alone expansion to the game would likely do far less thann 1 million in pre-sales.

They didnt release the numbers on the other sales because they dont have them yet. Its been 1 day, theyll be putting together numbers from all the retailers distributors ove rthe next few days.

Btw for people trying to compare it to SWTOR sales and thinking  it failed in comparison to SWTOR... SWTOR sold 2 million copies (numbers given by EA themself) total by the end of December (that is all pre-orders + sales up until the end of December, nearly 3 weeks after launch). With pre-purchase sales of over 1m for GW2, and then whatever they sold as pre-orders and launch sales... and give them about 3 weeks as well. Im thinking GW2 is going to come out on top. Might be very close though.

• TyvolusNextTyvolusNext Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by GamerToons
    I think you guys are misreading. There was over 1,000,000,000 prepurchasers.

There was over 400k playing the game AT ONCE.

That's huge especially for a new game.

Good job ArenaNet!

exactly.  as of right now, this is nothing but great news for ncsfot/Anet.  And this is coming from someone who has no intentions on buying this game.  no reason for me to be upset because it sold well and people enjoy it.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Really happy about this for sure :)

Most of my friends are getting the game now and they didn't pre-purchase so, plenty of room to grow that 1 mil as well.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

Honestly I'm surprised the number's not higher.

Either way, it was definitely worth the wait. I'm having to force myself to come onto rating sites to rate it instead of play it...