Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else receive this email

IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Somebody (hopefully you!) asked to reset the password on your Guild Wars account.

To change your password, click the link below.

If you did not request to reset your password, you can ignore this email and no changes will be made to your account.

Need help or have questions about your Guild Wars account? Visit our support site: http://support.guildwars2.com/.

Thanks!

--The ArenaNet Team

and no it wasn't me who asked to reset my password.

Comments

• chilltime99chilltime99 Member UncommonPosts: 55

I got 2 yesterday. I looked at the full header because I was suspicious. It didn't look like a legit email. However, the full header of the email looks legit. Not gonna take any chances though, so im not following links.

Also, time to change all my info. Dumb ass people doing dumb ass things...

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

Possibly phishing.

I never...ever...EVER click on links in emails when it comes to accounts, any accounts not just game accounts.

I always log out of my email, close my browser, re-open and go directly to whatever site the account is on, log in and then check to see what is going on.

• TyvolusNextTyvolusNext Member Posts: 192
    want some free adivce ?  Ignore any and all requests via email to access your accounts in regards to video games, bank accounts, credit card accounts, securities accounts, etc etc etc etc etc etc.  simple enough to follow this common sense advice I hope.  delete the email, and access said account the usual way you always do -- NOT from the link in the email.  thanks.
  • NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426
    If you want to be on the safe side, head to your GW2 account page and change your email address associated with the account. Also make sure you have a unique strong password.
  • matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431
    I did and it worries me a little.  I don't even play the game.  I did register for beta, but that's it.  What is ArenaNet doing with our emails!?

eqnext.wikia.com

• jackwagonjackwagon Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I got that after i linked my account with my Guild Wars 1 account.
  • jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

I did for Guild Wars 1. I always suggest to people to get a gmail account. Hotmail and yahoo might be just as good now days, I'm sure, but years ago when I used them they were pretty lacking.

Anyway, with gmail you can set it up so that when ever you log in to your email account, you're sent a text msg to your phone with a pin number. You have to enter the pin to access your email. As long as they can't breach your email, your accounts for other things are safe. you can also have it where the email knows to trust the PC you're on so it doesnt send you text every time. But if someone tries on another PC, it'll have that extra secure padding of sending the text. And thats only IF they guess your email password.

I guess this is what WoW players go through. Heck, I only played the WoW trial for a total of less than 2 hours with a throw away email address that probably auto deleted now and I still find emails in spam folder saying "your WoW account could be in danger" or "new items sent to your WoW characters" and I'm just like lolwut. I'm 99% sure the same garbage is going to start happening with GW2.

It seems like some forgeiners are trying to get GW1 and GW2 accounts to get the hall of monuments stuff if they're trying to get GW1 accounts. Unless GW2 just automatically make GW1 relavent again.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

It doesn't matter how legitimate they look. If you did not JUST change your password, don't you dare click it. If you do, you are taking your account into your own hands. People should know this by now.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• uknortherneruknortherner Member Posts: 16

I received one of these a few moments ago. As I'd only registered the game this morning and linked my GW1/GW2 accounts, I cross-referenced the IP addresses with the other automated emails I received from ANet and the IPs are similar (64.25.40.*), but could easily be spoofed of course.

However, I've had trouble verifying my email address (a known issue) and in fact have still been unable to do so, and I have a feeling that this email is probably legitimate, but a side effect of whatever glitch is affecting their email verification process.

Either way, I'm ignoring this email for the time being.

EDIT: There was no hyperlink in this email, just a plain text link that I would've had to copy/paste into FireFox that clearly points back to guildwars2.com and I could see nothing in the message source that linked to anywhere else.

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    I have been recieving these for the last couple days. Actually I just checked my email after not checking it for 10 minutes and just revieved 5 at one time.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• ScarlyngScarlyng Member UncommonPosts: 159
    I got one also, changed my email and password afterwards to a mail address that is not on a lot of lists.  The victimized email (I believe the offending email was phishing) had a WoW account hacked years ago and might be on some nefarious fellow's list.  Did others who have received this email wihtout changing their own password have a WoW account (or other game, perhaps) on that email?

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

I got a couple of them but not on the actual Email i use for GW2.

I got the mails on an Email account i dont use anymore and has nothiong to do with my GW2 account.

This discussion has been closed.