Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The naysayers have arrived

Comments

• JjixJjix Member UncommonPosts: 142

Again, this is your  opinion.  If someone totally hates a game then a 1/10 is appropriate to them.  You don't have to like or agree with them now do you.  It isn't your place to tell others how to rate this or any other game.

But this is just your opinion and it really isn't your place to tell others what is the correct opinion about opinions. Saying that opinions are not objective is just your opinion, maybe it is his opinion that opinions are objective and you need to respect that, because if you don't you've just utterly contradicted your own position by failing to respect another persons opinion. On the otherhand, if you do respect his opinion, then you've also contradicted your position because his opinion is the opposite of yours . . . either way your opinion is self-contradictory.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Jjix

Again, this is your  opinion.  If someone totally hates a game then a 1/10 is appropriate to them.  You don't have to like or agree with them now do you.  It isn't your place to tell others how to rate this or any other game.

But this is just your opinion and it really isn't your place to tell others what is the correct opinion about opinions. Saying that opinions are not objective is just your opinion, maybe it is his opinion that opinions are objective and you need to respect that, because if you don't you've just utterly contradicted your own position by failing to respect another persons opinion. On the otherhand, if you do respect his opinion, then you've also contradicted your position because his opinion is the opposite of yours . . . either way your opinion is self-contradictory.

Lol well said, and this is why the "invincible opinion" defense is so stupid.

Relevant:  http://mason.gmu.edu/~cmcgloth/portfolio/fallacies/argumentlazy.html

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• hotixhotix Member UncommonPosts: 130

1. The AH doesn't work.

2. The quests are the samething as usuall, expect you run into them instead of talk.... "warhammer'.

3. SPvP is really fun but it's only a few maps......

4. 3-4hour queue time for WvWvW.........

5. WvWvW is horrible, why not just copy Warhammer? It was seriously done much better.

I'm not trying to bash just stating the truth guys. I know most of you are in hype overload so you will bash my statements, but everything I have said is true. Althought some may disagree on statement 5. Also I play on jade quarry, so if you say the queue for WPvP isn't that long on your server, then i'm jealoous.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by kDeviL

Honestly I don't think I've heard a single bad review or opinion of guild wars 2 unless it was

A. completely obvious from their post that they've probably never set foot in the game or

B. are completely baseless such as "epic fail" or "it didn't live up to the hype!" with absolutely no examples or reasons to back it up.

I don't have a problem with opinions, in fact I would love to hear honest reasons why people don't like it cause I REALLY want to know how they couldn't.  What I can't stand are the immature trolls that try to give it a bad name just because they seem to have a personal vendetta against it.

You really need to look more. Myself and many others have stated over months how we just couldn't get into the game. It is designed to be different and some will see it as revolutionary whiles others see a game engineered too far from the concept the mmo was originally designed. I fall into the second category. 

I find GW2 fails to pull me into the game off the start, it is based far too much on fast paced action with little else to do (which as some will love, others will find it too arcadish and not realistic enough. Although I don't mind high fantasy, this game takes it too far for me to enjoy it's setting more), the story driven component is honestly poorly written and not needed as it appears far to plainly as a layered mechanic and no integral to the game and one of the largest immersion breaking issues for me is the "better than GPS" map that everyone requires in order to play the game. Due to the map I pretty much only see the game as a table top map where my next objectives are clearly marked public quest systematically and evenly placed over the Tom Tom map.

I have other minor quibbles: Characters turn like pushing a wheel barrel, the camera angle just seems to never be right no matter what I do, the game throws you into combat and nothing else and grouping is like being in a blind folded orgy where I couldn't care less what peoples names are and perhaps larger than a quibble is that I actually don't like the combat system at all. Some elements I do and some character systems and powers are rather intriguing but as a whole it doesn't match nor reflect nearly in any way why I enjoy mmo's ... because they were a way to take my enjoyment of pnp rpg's and put then into a video game.

That is likely the very heart of why I did not enjoy GW2 over three beta weekends and briefly over early release. It is the evolution of traditional mmo's into a more traditional video game. That is EXACTLY what I do not want in an mmo, because I actually do not like video games anymore (I ONLY play mmo's).  I want mmo's to be more like the roots from where they spawned and not continue to evolve into what developers now think new to mmo video game audiences want. They are alienating their original audience and not realizing why this is killing the mmo business. A great many players also want this and you will see many of them not likeing GW2. My favorites mmo's are from a time long past, most long before Wow. So many elements from them translated the feeling of an rpg to video so very well. Core components simply were abandoned when future mmo's were made. Many of these elements are what make up the so called sandbox game (which most players have no clue to what that concept is even if they think they do). If you never played table top rpg's you likely cannot recognize these elements. They certainly are mostly gone from modern mmo's. Sadly one of these elements is that of mystery and suprise. With everyone using addons and looking up quests objectives even without reading/hearing a single word you cannot have an rpg. Perhaps the downfall too mmo's is that everyone wants to be a Game Master and when that happens your rpg game is ruined.

I will not bash the game nor expect anyone who likes it to agree with me. I simply do not like GW2 and there are many others like me with valid reasons why they do not like it as well. I also won't ever rate a game. I find consumers as a whole vote with their heart and not their brain which is why companies putting so much weight on meta-critic baffles me. 

You stay sassy!

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by Sephros
    The naysayers have always been here, drowned out by the rabid fanbois that claw and nash their teeth at anyone who speaks out against the mesiah.

I'm all for criticism but some of the posts on MC are obvious trolls. Broken quests? Buggy gameplay? One guy says that no game is worth 10/10 then proceeds to give it a 2/10. Seriously? Those comments are either created by trolls, professional or not, or some extremely butthurt individuals or both.

Exactly...I started a thread on this earlier and was told by several people that I was a fanboi, had an agenda, cared too much, didn't look at the other side etc. etc.

I don't think most people got that folks giving GW 0-3 are actual, completely genuine, trolls.  There is no logical reason to give the game that low a score.  And sorry, if it's your "opinion" that the game deserves a 0-3, then you really don't know much about video games.

Who specifically told you that you specifically were fanboi in that thread? I reread that thread http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/362830 and noone seems to have specifically called you a "fanboy".

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by Sephros
    The naysayers have always been here, drowned out by the rabid fanbois that claw and nash their teeth at anyone who speaks out against the mesiah.

I'm all for criticism but some of the posts on MC are obvious trolls. Broken quests? Buggy gameplay? One guy says that no game is worth 10/10 then proceeds to give it a 2/10. Seriously? Those comments are either created by trolls, professional or not, or some extremely butthurt individuals or both.

Exactly...I started a thread on this earlier and was told by several people that I was a fanboi, had an agenda, cared too much, didn't look at the other side etc. etc.

I don't think most people got that folks giving GW 0-3 are actual, completely genuine, trolls.  There is no logical reason to give the game that low a score.  And sorry, if it's your "opinion" that the game deserves a 0-3, then you really don't know much about video games.

Who specifically told you that you specifically were fanboi in that thread? I reread that thread http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/362830 and noone seems to have specifically called you a "fanboy".

I did in a PM

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• bishbosh2bishbosh2 Member Posts: 66

lol OP what about all of the 10/10 trolls aka the fanbois

there is no way gw2 deserves a 10/10. very few games out there deserve a 10/10 and gw2 is by no means one of them.

biggest problem with this game and the reason why mmorpgs suck is simply because they are themeparks.

the game has no soul. run to some some event and get auto "partied" with some randoms u dont know and spam hotkeys till event is complete rinse and repeat. there is no player interaction, whatever i do is meaningless, everything is very easy.

all gw2 has done is removed quest givers and basically given u all the quests so u dont have to pick them up. GREAT INNOVATION (actually pretty conveninet tbh, but in the end ur still doing kill x of y quests for exp)

there is barely any character customisation, no player driven economy, no world pvp.

WvWvW is just a zerg fest. removing enemy nametags just makes it more of zerg fest as it dehumanises the enemy and makes everything feel even more meaningless and futile. 

the combat system is a slight improvement over regular tab target. i dont really think its that amazing nor do i think its bad either.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by Elikal
    There are always different opinions, which is fine. But I have yet to see a substantial critique towards GW2 which is based on more than "I don't like it".

I have yet to see any critiques warranting further review of any kind. There's a ton of people saying the same lame things over and over again about how much they despise the type of game it is, fine hate it but your opinions aren't actual reviews. They are just opinions. I wish people would put reviews in one folder and opinions in another because they aren't the same thing.

IE saying "DE's are nothing but Rifts regurgitated" is an opinion whereas "DE's are events that heppen as a fascility to bring life to the game around you" is a review. People don't really notice sublties like that tho.

What do you think a review is? If you are reviewing something all your really doing is writing about your opinion. If you like it your more likely to give it a good review and turn a cheek to some of the minor issues. Where as if you dislike it you'll sure as hell be putting those things in your review. Either way all that a review is, is somebodies opinion.

Don't get me started on "Reviews are non-biased." That is the biggest bunch of bullshit ever. Everything we do as humans has some sort of bias to it. 

Again, all a review is the reviewers opinion no matter how you cut it.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    Originally posted by kDeviL

Honestly I don't think I've heard a single bad review or opinion of guild wars 2 unless it was

A. completely obvious from their post that they've probably never set foot in the game or

B. are completely baseless such as "epic fail" or "it didn't live up to the hype!" with absolutely no examples or reasons to back it up.

I don't have a problem with opinions, in fact I would love to hear honest reasons why people don't like it cause I REALLY want to know how they couldn't.  What I can't stand are the immature trolls that try to give it a bad name just because they seem to have a personal vendetta against it.

You really need to look more. Myself and many others have stated over months how we just couldn't get into the game. It is designed to be different and some will see it as revolutionary whiles others see a game engineered too far from the concept the mmo was originally designed. I fall into the second category. 

I find GW2 fails to pull me into the game off the start, it is based far too much on fast paced action with little else to do (which as some will love, others will find it too arcadish and not realistic enough. Although I don't mind high fantasy, this game takes it too far for me to enjoy it's setting more), the story driven component is honestly poorly written and not needed as it appears far to plainly as a layered mechanic and no integral to the game and one of the largest immersion breaking issues for me is the "better than GPS" map that everyone requires in order to play the game. Due to the map I pretty much only see the game as a table top map where my next objectives are clearly marked public quest systematically and evenly placed over the Tom Tom map.

I have other minor quibbles: Characters turn like pushing a wheel barrel, the camera angle just seems to never be right no matter what I do, the game throws you into combat and nothing else and grouping is like being in a blind folded orgy where I couldn't care less what peoples names are and perhaps larger than a quibble is that I actually don't like the combat system at all. Some elements I do and some character systems and powers are rather intriguing but as a whole it doesn't match nor reflect nearly in any way why I enjoy mmo's ... because they were a way to take my enjoyment of pnp rpg's and put then into a video game.

That is likely the very heart of why I did not enjoy GW2 over three beta weekends and briefly over early release. It is the evolution of traditional mmo's into a more traditional video game. That is EXACTLY what I do not want in an mmo, because I actually do not like video games anymore (I ONLY play mmo's).  I want mmo's to be more like the roots from where they spawned and not continue to evolve into what developers now think new to mmo video game audiences want. They are alienating their original audience and not realizing why this is killing the mmo business. A great many players also want this and you will see many of them not likeing GW2. My favorites mmo's are from a time long past, most long before Wow. So many elements from them translated the feeling of an rpg to video so very well. Core components simply were abandoned when future mmo's were made. Many of these elements are what make up the so called sandbox game (which most players have no clue to what that concept is even if they think they do). If you never played table top rpg's you likely cannot recognize these elements. They certainly are mostly gone from modern mmo's. Sadly one of these elements is that of mystery and suprise. With everyone using addons and looking up quests objectives even without reading/hearing a single word you cannot have an rpg. Perhaps the downfall too mmo's is that everyone wants to be a Game Master and when that happens your rpg game is ruined.

I will not bash the game nor expect anyone who likes it to agree with me. I simply do not like GW2 and there are many others like me with valid reasons why they do not like it as well. I also won't ever rate a game. I find consumers as a whole vote with their heart and not their brain which is why companies putting so much weight on meta-critic baffles me. 

+1.

This is a post worth to quote here once more. Very well put, sir, I'm with you all the way.

I honestly believe GW2 is a great game for what it is, only not an MMO I'd like to play or be excited about. For this reason I can understand those very low points in reviews at Metacritics.

I also want to add that Metacritics user reviews have reflected my opinions pretty accurately in terms of wether I have liked a  game or not. You just have to be able to read between the lines and see through the bias.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

No idea why some of you guys are obsessing about some bad scores. What is important is the average and 8.5, which means it is really good, I feel is a very fitting score for this game.

9+ should really only be for truly amazing, ground breaking games and GW 2 is simply not that good.

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297

Wait, hold on, have we finally decided if Metacritic is accurate or if its garbage yet?

Remember, if GW2 is doing well by some of use creating 10 accounts to give it 10 then it should be accurate.  But if it comes out as mixed review or less Metacritic is garbage. 

C'mon people!  Let's keep a united front and our stories straight!

(Rmemeber to spend as much as you can on the Cash Shop - investors have to be reminded that the buy one time no subscription model is a win for us - so spend spend spend!!! I got started witht the pirate and cook suit)

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Well there seems to be some patterns here:

1 negative review, 2 ratings

And then the hardworking cousins with:

1 negative review, 1 ecstatic review and 2 ratings

And those are just a few I clicked on page 1. Overall I would give that site a 1/10. I doubt many care about it anyway :-)

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Reas43

Wait, hold on, have we finally decided if Metacritic is accurate or if its garbage yet?

Remember, if GW2 is doing well by some of use creating 10 accounts to give it 10 then it should be accurate.  But if it comes out as mixed review or less Metacritic is garbage. 

C'mon people!  Let's keep a united front and our stories straight!

That's how the internet works.

if somebody sayd something positive about something you like and praises it to no end, that person is a well educated reviewer that clearly knows what he/she's talking about.

If on the other hand they say something negative, they are trolls, haters, idiots and other possible extra names.

• darkehawkedarkehawke Member Posts: 178

you cant please everyone

i like GW2 but i can think a hell of a lot can be done to improve it.

but i'm aware that my "improvements" are the same as someone elses ideas for things that ruin the game.

One man's meat and all that

Currently playing- SWG PreCU & GW 2
    Have tried WoW, AoC, & Vanguard, SWG:NGE, GW, LOTRO & SWTOR
    Best MMO: SWG
    Worst MMO: SWTOR

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

My personal opinion on GW2 is that it's a breath of fresh air for the genre. A heavy focus on public quests and putting the social aspect back into the genre. WvW is also fun, and features like personal loot and the res mechanics might have sounded bad on paper to some of us (they did to me), but worked out brilliantly. The underwater areas are also top notch.

It's not perfect of course, and some will focus on those aspects (lack of challenge, repetition, not enough story development, mediocre class system). But personally, I've had a blast playing it. And I think it's great to see a developer come in and try a lot of things that are outside of the norm.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

lel

Look at 90% of them, praising TSW or D3.

It's kinda funny.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by Elikal
    There are always different opinions, which is fine. But I have yet to see a substantial critique towards GW2 which is based on more than "I don't like it".

This. And it works for many games, sadly.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by Halandir

Well there seems to be some patterns here:

And then the hardworking cousins with:

And those are just a few I clicked on page 1. Overall I would give that site a 1/10. I doubt many care about it anyway :-)

Very, very nice find ;)

This is so pathetic that it should be forwarded.

p.s : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/345774

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• XtenXten Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by firefly2003
    Maybe people just dont share the same opinon as you, or the other people with blinders on, it was the same way with SWTOR as well raving reviews and scores and plenty of Biodrones that come raging with hardons at one that had legitimate complaints and concerns about the game, and looks like its repeating it self as well and please keep the GW2 threads in Guild Wars 2 forums, really tired of these spam posts.

This is what i thought at first bu then i read those comments "Bugged quests everywhere"  or  "graphics worst then lotro"  i have all 5 races and played them all and havent ran into a single bugged quest except for 1. No'r have i heard peoople complain about it on any scale. And the worst gfx then lotro that is just obvious trolling and there are 60 comments like it on there all of a sudden. Most are not true bar for the grouping/overflow bug of course.

But metacritic atracts this sort of thing by nature , it really hurt funcom with tws too. 

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Metacritic has for the longest time been the place for players to vent their frustration over the most trival of issues, look at what happened with Diablo3 people were not rating the game they were rating the ability to log into the game hence many 0-3 scores.  Same is happening with GW2 people giving zero scores because of the known party issues and some login issues that as with D3 will be fixed in a few days.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Fanbois still can't grasp the concept that not everyone is going to like the game and others will have their own opinions on it. It is subjective, it is what you personally believe. I know it is a hard concept for fans to endure but it happens.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• GolbezaGolbeza Member Posts: 62
    I wouldn't trust metacritic for anything. Or well, I wouldn't trust any review at all except for Totalbiscuit, but you get the best opinion by playing the game yourself or by talking to your closest friends.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Nikkita

Yin can not exist without yang. Gotto balance it out. How ridiculous it would be if all the reviews were 10/10?

What do you mean, almost all MMO reviews seems to be either 9/10 or 10/10 no matter what game they review. In fact if you took all MMO reviews in the worl and counted an average it would not be 5.5 as it should be but more 8 or so.

Ridicoulus enough for me.

But of course many people will hate any game, but I actully think there were more GW2 haters a month ag than today, that might be different tomorrowbut GW2 haters isnt something that suddenly popped out from nowhere, they been around since the game was intruduced 2 years ago at least.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Golbeza
    I wouldn't trust metacritic for anything. Or well, I wouldn't trust any review at all except for Totalbiscuit, but you get the best opinion by playing the game yourself or by talking to your closest friends.

Young Skywalker, there is another.... Check out Angry Joe, he isnt afraid to #¤%& off EA or someone else either.

http://angryjoeshow.com/

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Golbeza

Young Skywalker, there is another.... Check out Angry Joe, he isnt afraid to #¤%& off EA or someone else either.

http://angryjoeshow.com/

I love AJ's batman arkam city review.... go watch that if nothing else.

This discussion has been closed.