Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what bothers you about this game?

Comments

• Unknown23Unknown23 Member Posts: 47

Here's what bothers me and is esentially stopping me from buying it.

-8 classes, 5 character slots.

-No duel button.

-No face to face trading.

-Loading screens between zones.

EDIT:

-Cash shop is never good.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Pretty much nothing except WvW balance/queues. Yesterday there were no queues but our server (Far Shiverpeaks) held 95-100% of the entire WvW map. I'm not complaining about being on the winning side :) but PvP is boring when the opposing side gives up all hope and leaves.

I think WvW needs either some really nice bonuses for underdogs or maybe the losing servers should be able to team up and work together when the winning server world holds over 2/3 of the map.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by Kost

For me what bothers me most, is the issue all ThemeParks have, where the world is boxed in and in a carefully controlled environment so that your gaming feels like being on rails rather than in a virtual world. Really takes away from the exploration part and the general excitement into going into the "unknown".

Also don't like strict class based games where it is the class, rather than me, which decides what I can do and how.

GW2 is so far from on rails that it isn't even funny.

Have you even played? Or is this just more of the usual rampant speculation you spew all over these forums.

Yes I have played since head start. Granted I am still low level but the advancement is always.

• Open Map and go to each Heart quest, skill challenge and vista. Usually the path is quite linear.
    • Occasionally you will bump into a Dynamic Quest
    • There are story line quests, which are also linear, and they seemed quite lacklustre, and mostly a solo experience, so I did not bother doing them.
    So there is no element of surprise here (short of the occasional Dynamic Quest) because everything is carefully placed on your map and you just need to follow the markers. And the fact that PvP is confined to special zones makes it even more predictable.

If you claim the game is not on Rails then maybe you can explain why it is not?

1.) I can level through crafting

2.) I can level through WvWvW

3.) I can level through Personal Story alone, but that requires either a help of a friend to do this exclusively.

4.) I can complete the map in a NON-LINEAR way. Although hearts and areas have levelled monsters I can easily do hearts in no particular order.

5.) I can level up doing a combination of the four

It's really not on rails, man. Also, not everything is marked on the map. There's this jumping puzzle in Morgan's Spiral where you gain the "Morgan's Leap" plus an item if you finish it.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

For me what bothers me most, is the issue all ThemeParks have, where the world is boxed in and in a carefully controlled environment so that your gaming feels like being on rails rather than in a virtual world. Really takes away from the exploration part and the general excitement into going into the "unknown".

Also don't like strict class based games where it is the class, rather than me, which decides what I can do and how.

Have you even played? Or is this just more of the usual rampant speculation you spew all over these forums.

Yes I have played since head start. Granted I am still low level but the advancement is always.

• Open Map and go to each Heart quest, skill challenge and vista. Usually the path is quite linear.
    • There are story line quests, which are also linear, and they seemed quite lacklustre, and mostly a solo experience, so I did not bother doing them.
    So there is no element of surprise here (short of the occasional Dynamic Quest) because everything is carefully placed on your map and you just need to follow the markers. And the fact that PvP is confined to special zones makes it even more predictable.

3.) I can level through Personal Story alone, but that requires either a help of a friend to do this exclusively.

4.) I can complete the map in a NON-LINEAR way. Although hearts and areas have levelled monsters I can easily do hearts in no particular order.

It's really not on rails, man. Also, not everything is marked on the map. There's this jumping puzzle in Morgan's Spiral where you gain the "Morgan's Leap" plus an item if you finish it.

You can do every single thing you mentioned (replace WvWvW with PvP) in most ThemeParks. That does not make it not on rails.

The map is designed to go from point A to B to C but ofcourse you can not do that but then you would run into issues with being outside your level bracket and this game is also designed to heavily depend on levels (in regards to PvE). I have dificulties killing mobs just a 4-5 levels above me.

Originally posted by vee41
    Originally posted by Caldrin

* Very very very very boring heart quests, that have taken the standard kill or collect quests and made them take twice as long and boring. Good job

* So called dynamic events and not really dynamic other than the time they happen. Well this is the case in the first few zones I have been in. Only lvl 25 so far so still got a bit to go. Also some of the dynamic events are just as bad as the heart quests.

Agree on hearts, luckily there should be less and less more you advance in the game. I usually skip them completely.

But dynamic events, sigh. :) I just wrote a blog post why dynamic events are awesome, I recommend you check it out!

You are giving Dynamic Quests far more credit than they deserve. For example you say they have purpose and meaning? How so? They are just like Rift invasions where they just go in circles without really affecting much beside the brief shut down of a village, or whatever. They are not really persistant.

So the main difference between Dynamic Quests and WAR PQs and Rifts is that there are more of them and they are more varied. But the dont have purpose and meaning beside giving you loot and exp. Now if they would actually change the world then those Centaurs taking over a village would raze it to the ground, or use it as a way to conquer the map, none of that happens nor will it ever happen. So Dynamic Quests are again a further dissapointment following PQs and Rifts, they boast to affect the world but the change, if any, is superficial.

There's a waypoint in Caledon Forest that becomes unavaiable when the town it's in is conquered by the Nightmare Court. Merchants in that town becomes unavailable as well. As far as I know they don't reset themselves. Players must drive away the Nightmare Court.

There are other places that has this event, not just the one.

Yes and if they would actually raze the town to the ground, that would be persistant. But the fact is that, once they take over the town, they just wait to be slaughtered by players (which they always will because they are designed to be taken down). Rift had the exact same mechanic and it quickly became boring, once players realised that it is not a big thing that a town is being taken over.

Yeah it would have been uber cool if there's a change in scenery and when players did manage to drive them away a new event will come up where we help NPCs rebuild their town. I hope DEs like this come after some months (they promised adding DEs afterall). But more to your points:

1.) My initial reply was to debunk your idea that DEs are only good for exp and money. Waypoints, merchants, crafting stations are also affected.

2.) As far as I know in Rift those things will go away on their own. The difference here is the Nightmare Court stays unless driven off.

3.) "They are designed to be taken down". I imagine that it's because it's on a low level area, it's menat to be easy. I'm only level 16, so I can't say more. Like you I'm hoping in the higher levels retaking towns wouldn't be as easy.

You can do every single thing you mentioned (replace WvWvW with PvP) in most ThemeParks. That does not make it not on rails.

The map is designed to go from point A to B to C but ofcourse you can not do that but then you would run into issues with being outside your level bracket and this game is also designed to heavily depend on levels (in regards to PvE). I have dificulties killing mobs just a 4-5 levels above me.

Well it's clear how our definitions of "on-rails" differ so I'll just leave it be. Just so you understand where I'm coming from, I view on rails as having only one path to do something. If I'm given multiple ways of achieving my goal (e.g. reach level 80) I don't see it as on-rails.

You view each "way" of levelling up as a "rail", so yeah, it's on-rails. Can't imagine a game without rails if viewed this way though. =/

Yes and if they would actually raze the town to the ground, that would be persistant. But the fact is that, once they take over the town, they just wait to be slaughtered by players (which they always will because they are designed to be taken down). Rift had the exact same mechanic and it quickly became boring, once players realised that it is not a big thing that a town is being taken over.

Yeah it would have been uber cool if there's a change in scenery and when players did manage to drive them away a new event will come up where we help NPCs rebuild their town. I hope DEs like this come after some months (they promised adding DEs afterall). But more to your points:

1.) My initial reply was to debunk your idea that DEs are only good for exp and money. Waypoints, merchants, crafting stations are also affected.

2.) As far as I know in Rift those things will go away on their own. The difference here is the Nightmare Court stays unless driven off.

3.) "They are designed to be taken down". I imagine that it's because it's on a low level area, it's menat to be easy. I'm only level 16, so I can't say more. Like you I'm hoping in the higher levels retaking towns wouldn't be as easy.

Yes, this is my main gripe with Rifts and now Dynamic Quests (so far). They are not really a threat and them being finished seems to be a foregone conclusion rather than something that may or may not happen (depending on how good the players are).

Would be much better if "losing" a Dynamic Quest would have real consequences (like destruction of a town and the long process to rebuild it) rather than just to pop some mobs and then have the town magically return to its previous state.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by maji
    • item shop. I mean come on: I'm level 11, and my bags and bank are already full. It's the tiniest bank I ever saw in any MMORPG. To increase the size, I seem to have to pay money. And I just bought the game. -.-

You can make bags with tailoring, a friend of mine made me 4 10 slot bags the second day of headstart.  If you're not patient enough to craft, and you don't want to buy, I don't know what to tell you.  It's called not having everything handed to you.  You seem to expect 25 slot bags with the game purchase, and maybe a backrub while they're at it.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

My primary major concern is that there's no apparent longterm activity that I can look forward to.

I'm not the sort of person who enjoys experiencing the same raid/event/sPvP map over and over again. Once I've seen a dungeon or a zone once (and exhausted it), that's pretty much it. Oh, if it's particularly good - I'll do it a few times, but I can't repeat the same thing for long.

WvW is pretty cool for what it is - but I don't like how it's removed from the open world and I don't like that it resets every 2 weeks. There's a distinct lack of permanence and meaning in the longterm design.

Now, this is the case for 95% of all modern MMOs. WoW has no meaningful endgame either. None of the modern themeparks have what I consider a meaningful endgame.

The only popular MMO that HAS a meaningful endgame activity is EVE Online - and I think EVE Online is boring at the core.

GW2 is a good game - and it's a very good investment, because there's no subscription fee. I would never claim I'm not getting a good return of my investment - at least, not in terms of the monetary investment,

But I'm not looking forward to having exhausted content in 1-3 months, at which point I have to sit down and wait for years until the next interesting MMO comes out. Also, I'm not looking forward to realising that while I had fun getting to level 80 and clearing Orr and doing a bit of WvW, etc., the journey was without a destination. I will literally have nothing to show for my efforts. Just like I had nothing to show when I raided the last dungeon in WoW - or I completed my stories in TOR. It's like the genre has stopped being what UO started - and have become "massively multiplayer" games that never really end - but also never really gives you that sense of completion that you're looking for with most other kinds of entertainment.

Maybe ArcheAge will provide a meaningful longterm experience - and that's the one game I'm genuinely hopeful about in that way.

What bothers me about the game?  Not much, but there are a few things...

• Lack of axes and polearms.  Two of my favorite weapons were left out, but they may be added later.
    • Lack of mounts.  Yeah, yeah.. I know, but to me it's mostly about the aesthetic.  One of the bits of Skyrim that entertained me most was the ability to jump on a horse and ride around.  It just fits a fantasy universe.  What, everyone runs everywhere??
    • Trading Post being down.
    • It's too fun, I'm not getting anything accomplished in real life.
  • dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

This is not another flame thread or anything.

I hope everyone enjoys the game just as much as I do. However, this game has some flaws. Probably its just because it just launched a few days ago. My gamebreaken (which is the first), and my problems atm are:

• Playing without your friends - It bothers me alot. Me and my cousin cant play together at all. Even though we are on the very same server, we always get overflowed to our own places. No join possibility or anything. I love the overflow system instead of being able to login, but at least make it so you join the same overflow server ANet!
    • Crafting - I really like crafting. Its fun, and instead of just learning some recipes you have to discover them yourself. However I would have loved, if it required less mats. Vial fo Weak Blood and all those Fine crafting ingredients is a pain to find if you also want to level your character at the very same time.
    • WvW often down - At launch I could allmost instant join WvW. Yesterday I was queued for several hours and never got my invitation for it. I would really love to WvW. But I also wanted to actually join the fight instead of running alone trying to find everyone :P But I guess thats the charm about WvW.
    As said above, whats gamebreaking about these 3 is the first topic. It feels boring and like you have rolled on different servers when you cant see each other at all. Hopefully it will get fixed anytime soon.

I think what you wrote is invalid in some points. 

1. Playing with your friends is possible if you form a party. You should be moved to overflow server as party you know ? I have no idea if it's working already or not but this is how it works. If you are not moved with your party then it's probably disabled or this feature have a bug or something. Contact support and ask.

2. You don't stop leveling up while doing crafting. You can lvl up while only doing crafting probably. For every piece of resource I find I have exp equals to killed mob. Hitting copper stone 3x equals 3 killed mobs. Finding plant (you pick up all at once) equals 3 killed mobs. Chop tree and it's like you killed 3 mobs. Evything you create in crafting stations give you exp. So you don't stop leveling up your characters. And you have enough mats if you really gather them. Trust me. Also crafting should not be easy going because with crafting you can create one of the most powerfull items in game. Also discovering items is SO MUCH FUN FOR ME :)

3. World vs World vs World - best do it together with guild. Runing there alone is just easy way to your hero haven. I didn't try it after launch because I'm playing again with races and professions. So I have no idea here.

Originally posted by Eir_S

• Lack of axes and polearms.  Two of my favorite weapons were left out, but they may be added later.
    • Lack of mounts.  Yeah, yeah.. I know, but to me it's mostly about the aesthetic.  One of the bits of Skyrim that entertained me most was the ability to jump on a horse and ride around.  It just fits a fantasy universe.  What, everyone runs everywhere??

I can't get the no mounts thing, except pure lazyness from the devs. parts. I can almost bet that it will eventually end up in the IG store.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by maji
    • item shop. I mean come on: I'm level 11, and my bags and bank are already full. It's the tiniest bank I ever saw in any MMORPG. To increase the size, I seem to have to pay money. And I just bought the game. -.-
    • lack of tooltips. Wanted to see what my Mesmer traits do, and one ability says "reduces shredding cooldown". I spent half an hour searching my character for any skills or attributes that might have to do something with shredding. Asked in the chat, noone knew it either. I had to google to find out what it does. T_T That doesn't have to do with any lack of experience in gaming on my side, but simply in the developers not really caring about such things.
    • and the zoning every five minutes is a bit annoying. City to overflow, overflow to regular map, regular map to storyline, and back and forth.
    It's a good game, but these things are annoying.

I honestly did not have your bank space issue at 11. I don't even have it at 24. I am not sure what you are finding to horde.

Two words for you though: Alt Mules.

Make some boxes and give them to your other characters.

It is a zoned game. There is zoning. 'Every 5 mins' is a massive exageration.

What bothers me though? Not much right now... but it's still early days. I don't care about mounts or whatever at this point tbh. The small irks I see are solely because of launch issues, nothing that will be around in a week.

I can't get the no mounts thing, except pure lazyness from the devs. parts. I can almost bet that it will eventually end up in the IG store.

It's not laziness.  They didn't have mounts in the first game either because of the waypoint system.  They probably don't feel they're necessary, and frankly, they're not.  I just like the idea of having them.  Maybe enough people don't feel the same for ANet to add them.  I talked to a friend today who wanted the ability to fly... now that I disagree with.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

But why would you need a monut... the zones are pretty small it really does not take very long to walk around them, plus you can use the transport zones... why bother designing and coding in mounts ?  So why should the devs have wasted time on mounts? i think their time was spent on better things..

It's not laziness.  They didn't have mounts in the first game either because of the waypoint system.  They probably don't feel they're necessary, and frankly, they're not.  I just like the idea of having them.  Maybe enough people don't feel the same for ANet to add them.  I talked to a friend today who wanted the ability to fly... now that I disagree with.

A lot of things are not neccessary but this is a game so they would put stuff in there which are nice and not only neccessary. I for one love to explore and for that to be enjoyable I need somehow to move around quickly so for me it is both a cosmetic and nice to have feature for practical purposes.

Originally posted by Caldrin

But why would you need a monut... the zones are pretty small it really does not take very long to walk around them, plus you can use the transport zones... why bother designing and coding in mounts ?  So why should the devs have wasted time on mounts? i think their time was spent on better things..

Well beside for exploration I feel, like Eir, that mounts are an integral part of any Fantasy setting. Not as practical as instant teleporters but far more immersive.

• Originally posted by The_Korrigan

The overflow server grouping problem is fixed now - we had guildies grouping up all evening yesterday and today too. Just form a group, then right click one member and use the "join" option, and you'll be teleported into the same overflow.

It wasn't working for my party last night (10pm EST).  Same problems it's had since release: "join in" does nothing sometimes, other times the option isn't even there.  We tried zoning in/out of the city and that didn't help except through sheer luck of landing on the same overflow server as one of the other party members.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I have only played about 30 mins, but yeah the group thing was annoying, kept trying to figure out how to do it...Hopefully it is fixed for good soon.

Low level content seems kind of cluttered, but I will see how it is later, and next time I get to play, when the starter areas will not be so full, since it will be further from launch.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Entire villiges come under centaur control if you dont (win) Dynamic Events.
    Entire map can be gone if you keep losing DE's

How is that on rails or like in rift ? in rift a cloud spawns and monters come out...

Also Hearts will be gone after a few zone's they are just a little question mark if your lost what to do or where to go.

Soon you need to discover stuff on your own, how is that on rails xD ?

If they fix the trader game is perfect :)

Well beside for exploration I feel, like Eir, that mounts are an integral part of any Fantasy setting. Not as practical as instant teleporters but far more immersive.

I just think they could have both, but I'm not saying that not having both is a bad design feature simply based on every other MMO having mounts.  Some games are just different.  Still, I hope they consider it.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

I don't think there's much point raising issues with the game's core design philosophy at this stage, so I'm going to take the game on its own terms and just mention a few minor annoyances I have with it:

1) The camera: It's much much too close, feels a bit claustrophobic to me; I normally slide the camera way way back. On the other extreme, I'd like the ability to scroll into full first person. So, yeah would like to have more range in camera controll.

2) The inability to use most abilities when you're in the air: Yeah, yeah, I know a lot of you will go "Say what?!!", but it's one of those things I really appreciate in these games. Makes me feel more in control of my character, plus you can pull off some really cool moves. Say, I'm jumping onto a mob below, I'd like to be able to use jump shot before hitting the ground.

3) Too slow running animation speed on any race other than Asura and particularly short Sylvari (As Doomedfox already mentioned). This is the only reason I'm not playing a Norn or a Charr right now. 

And then of course there's that one, which is not at all "minor", and has to do with a core feature of the game, but it just has to be repeated:

Overflowing On Each Map: The overflow servers are a nice MMO tech. But going into an overflow server on *every instance change* is just too much. As it stands, I'm spending something like 70% of the game in overflow. That means I'm usually cut off from my server's WvWvW standings, I have a hard time getting together with friends and  I get to play the game like a solo purist.

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

What bothers me about the game itself is the name.

It should be named "Arena Wars" or "Dragon Wars"

It has absolutely no guild wars, no guild conflict.  

Ive not seen anything even planned in the game to create guild conflicts and or wars.

Personally my absolute favorite themepark and sandbox "endgame" activity is a non factional guild vs guild mechanic. Typically involving territory wars and seiges.

I saw in another thread the only thing planned for guilds is a guild hall....i mean wtf  "guild wars 2" and all your going to have is a little house for all your guild memebers to play house in?

• shenfreyshenfrey Member UncommonPosts: 114

By far the error messages

Check my firewall?

Problem with my internet connection?

Check my router?

All this when its their problem, not ours but still insist on us trying to fiddle with things that musn't be fiddled with?

Originally posted by redman875

What bothers me about the game itself is the name.

It should be named "Arena Wars" or "Dragon Wars"

It has absolutely no guild wars, no guild conflict. 

Please read up on the game's name before criticizing it.  It is not named Guild Wars because of an in-game feature, it is named Guild Wars because of a major event in the lore called ... you guessed it ... the Guild Wars.  Thanks.