Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Guild Wars 2 Get Game of the Year Award

Comments

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    IDK!!!!
  • Felheart5Felheart5 Member Posts: 35

I could see GW2 snagging a couple of GOTY awards here and there, it's not like there is a shortage of sites handing out titles like that. But of the most coveted ones? Not really, and if so, it's because it's a fairly lousy year in terms of AAA titles. But there are still a couple of them which will likely be larger hits than GW2 just because of the names and inherent "quality" they carry. There is also the matter of wheter or not droves of people are still playing the game by the end of the year or not. 

As for "MMO of the Year" titles? Certainly, but I could just as easily see TSW snagging a few. It's following may be smaller, but the people who actively play it are very dedicated and happy with it. There are probably a few game column/journalists in that crowd as well.

Besides we don't even know what the mainstream gaming press actually thinks of GW2, so it may be worth waiting for the final verdict there as well before making any guesses. For all we know TSW and GW2 could end up neck in neck at around 80 in Metacritical terms. MoP is also a heavy contender as some rightfully pointed out.

• ShiotcrockShiotcrock Member Posts: 87
    Being it's not for consoles it's going to be Borderlands 2
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Mouth
    Hoping for TSW due to originality and moving the genre forward

I didn't get the feeling that TSW was all that original. Yeah the setting hasnt been done before, but the game itself didn't feel new,

All the time I was in Beta, I couldn't help but feel like I was playing City Of Heroes. With bits and pieces of other games. While TSW isn't a "clone" of another game, it's got some heavy splicing. I am not putting this concept down, Certainly, the idea of taking from what works and building on it while borrowing from other ideas can make for a very fun and successful game (See GW2), I just din't get that feeling with TSW.

• Felheart5Felheart5 Member Posts: 35

I don't want to turn this into a TSW discussion, but still GW2 and TSW would be the main contenders for a MMO of the year title. And both truly have things going for them, even if people don't agree on which game is better.

While I have no problem agreeing that TSW isn't without its flaws, it easily has the most engaging, varied and imaginitive PvE experince I have seen in years. Beats the hell out of GW2 in that regard. It's totally cool if the game isn't to your taste for one reason or the other, people are different after all. But it does sadden me to see TSW taking knocks from people who addmittedly either only played it briefly in a beta weekend or not at all. It's also striking of course of how the same people who didn't give TSW a proper chance are quick to tell critics not to judge GW2 based on first impressions alone. Double standards much?

I'm finding GW2 isn't my personal kind of game, but I'll still reserve judgement till I'm further down the line and able to give it a fair and balanced review because it is clearly not without merit either. 

• SathnorSathnor Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by Blazeyer
    There is seriously something wrong in the MMO community because 90% of players have this mindset where "if it's not what I'm into, it's not right". It's honestly sad. If people like GW2 let them vote for it and be happy. Whatever game you're into there is honestly nothing bad that can happen from other people enjoying themselves. Next time you're about to post that message telling someone how wrong they are because they like x,y,z about a certain game just take a pause and remember they are not you. No one has to have the same mindset as you. There is really no benefit to anyone to spread hate, especially over video games. Really, what benefit does it serve to any party involved?

THANK YOU! I'm tired of people saying hey you think Guild Wars 2 had a bad launch compared to Diablo 3, well you suck. You think Guild Wars 2 will have GOTY, you're totally wrong you should stop posting, etc.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Melieza

If you're basing the award simply on originality, TSW wins hands down.

If you're basing it on MMO that has some differences but still caters to a wide audience because it feels familiar...then it goes to GW2.

what was original about tsw? it has end game raiding and instanced pvp.

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

I believe having both GW2 and TSW doing well would do well for the MMO genre as a whole.

GW2 brings that familiar gameplay of the old themeparks with the lore/history along with artistic and technological backing and some re-innovation of MMO elements to combine into an extremely well done game.

TSW, being a brand spanking new IP to the MMO genre, which is a feat in itself, also bringing re-innovation of similar elements, semi-unique questing, combat, and skill systems to create a new experience.

Both games bring some details that are completely new. GW2's dynamic events actually changing the world and spawning other events and TSW's modern setting with Cthulhu-like twist, both games deliver on their initial promise. So, while I dislike TSW's art/animation style and skill system (much too open ended for my tastes, while I love TONS of choices, I still want those choices to be in a meaningful profession), I loved their quest system in using your surroundings and knowledge to solve mystories.

I think success of both games gives a fresh look at what the community of MMO players want in their games and should push hard against the developers and companies of this genre and can only be a win-win for the customers.

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246
    GW2 is ok but I feel it would be a big lie for it to win game of the year over TSW.
  • TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Tibernicus

It doesn't do much new other than dynamic events. It's PvP is lifted straight from other games and not done as well.

Planetside 2 has a much better shot at GotY.

Have you ever played a SOE game at launch?

Every single one have been really buggy and it takes a long while for them to get it right. Then again, I dont think you have played GW2 either.

I absolutely played GW2. It's PvP is a less developed version of DAoC PvP.

As far as tech and innovation goes, Planetside 2 is way ahead of GW2. It's doing something new, whereas GW2 is retreading old (but good) ground.

• MagaskaweelMagaskaweel Member UncommonPosts: 35
    I will vote yes when the login servers dont break every 12 hours.
  • ZealowZealow Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Magaskaweel

Aye.. the game would be infinity times better if you could actually get in. this is diablo 3 all over again. Do these companies never learn?

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    After SWTOR getting GOTY with 10 days left in the year, why does it matter?
    I'm surprised no one has brought up Rift when it comes up to dynamic events, it has these things called rifts which spawn creatures and there's rounds and each round spawns more creatures until you seal the rift, they also look very cool too. Once many rifts come without being sealed there's an invasion and they start attacking towns and you group up to fight them off. Very cool idea imo. Here's one of the major rifts where you have to get a whole raid to take it down, other ones are minor Rifts which can be done solo, but it's very hard to do the timed stages in these, I would reccomend taking them down with around 2-3 people.
  • SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Let's be honest among each other for a minute and for once , I know it's hard for alot of you , but bare with me for a minute.  If GW2 manages to get Game of the year award , then for Pete's sakes , give ArcheAge the game of the year award for the next 50 years.

And the game of the year award should be renamed to MMO of the year , because you got alot of console games that are way better then GW2 that have released / being released this year.    Oh and TorchLight 2 have more paid confirmed pre orders then what GW2 sold up to now , if that counts for anything.

So um yeah , GW2 won't be winning game of the year.  What counts in a game is not the colors/graphics and bare naked female sprites , what counts is the ammount of remaining active players after the 1st month of release.

Okay instead of GOTY I'm going to change it to MMO of the year because many people have stated that it should be MMO of they year.
    Originally posted by Zealow
    Originally posted by Magaskaweel

Aye.. the game would be infinity times better if you could actually get in. this is diablo 3 all over again. Do these companies never learn?

Difference is, Diablo 3 is a singleplayer game you couldn't get on for some moronic reason. This is an MMO, stuff like this is, sadly, expected.

Originally posted by Sathnor
    Okay instead of GOTY I'm going to change it to MMO of the year because many people have stated that it should be MMO of they year.

Its just not unique enough to be MMO of the year, not with Planetside 2 coming out, which is much more impressive from a tech standpoint, and Darkfall 2.0 which is much more impressive in the innovation area.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

If the award we're talking about is from MMORPG.com then I don't see how it wouldn't go to GW2.

Not that there aren't other games deserving of the award I just don't think they compare to the MMO nature of GW2.  Every part of the game, aside from crafting, is designed to be done with others.  It promotes interaction with people, a lot of time complete strangers, while you "solo".  While ANet did not reinvent the wheel I don't think it gets as many originality points as it should.  They changed or improved almost every aspect of a fantasy themepark game and then did their best to hide the themepark.

If you take personal taste out of the picture I think GW2 is the highest quality product out there this year and is the best representation for what an MMORPG should promote.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Tibernicus

Its just not unique enough to be MMO of the year, not with Planetside 2 coming out, which is much more impressive from a tech standpoint, and Darkfall 2.0 which is much more impressive in the innovation area.

have you acfually played planetside 2 yet? there is absolutely nothing techie in ps2 . Darkfall 2.0? Darkfall is a failure and has been since release, how exactly is 2.0 not a failure either?

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Like or not, it is the biggest launch this year, and that usually translates to at least a few awards, if not MMO of the Year.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Silax
    I did say it did a lot of things different, but it also does a lot of them successfully while not breaking the simple things, which I heard TSW did, also TSW didn't do all their new things perfectly either I think. I like Guild Wars 2 because not only does it do things different, but it does everything right.

Don't be silly.

It's not silly.  It's kind of fact.

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Loke666

And I've seen people admit to talking shit about this game simply because they didn't like its fans, so I don't trust anyone saying something like "It was just due to timing".  Oh, like the timing that involved games coming out shortly before and soon after and GW2 still hypothetically winning GOTY?  What possible advantages did it have over the other MMO's in "timing"?

Sense.  Some people don't make it.

GW2 do have the right timing unlike LOTRO, but it is far from the only reason why people like it.

Wow released when EQ had start to loose players and popularity and GW2 is releasing when Wow is in the same state. LOTRO on the other hand (which also had some other issues, particularly that it feels too close to Wow) released when Wow was gaining the most players fastest, that is bad timing.

I am not a Wow player myself so that is not why I play but it is a advantage.

That's not quite what I was saying, but you understand what I meant.  The thing is, it's not limited to WoW's declining playerbase, TSW and Tera have come out just recently and GW2 has obviously outsold both of them, even with almost no real advertisting.  This is NOT a result of pure timing, it suggests that people were more excited about the game and since many have played it, suggests a higher quality of the product.  Trying to sweep the success of a game that had no advantage other than how good it is by attributing it all to "Timing" is kind of a cheap shot, and it doesn't hold water.  It comes across as desperate.

GW2 is even being released at a time when many people are going back to school or college, unlike Tera and TSW, so if anything, GW2 had a disadvantage in "timing".

So, you really don't believe GW2 had a significant hype advantage over TSW due to GW1? D3 is another example, as it likely wouldn't have sold nearly as many copies if it had not been for the success of its predecessor.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not discrediting either game. I give them both credit that I feel is deserved, but I'm not blind to which game was more hyped. GW2 was in a whole hype-league of its own compared to a new IP like TSW. That makes a huge difference when it comes to sales, especially initially.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by alacres

That's not quite what I was saying, but you understand what I meant.  The thing is, it's not limited to WoW's declining playerbase, TSW and Tera have come out just recently and GW2 has obviously outsold both of them, even with almost no real advertisting.  This is NOT a result of pure timing, it suggests that people were more excited about the game and since many have played it, suggests a higher quality of the product.  Trying to sweep the success of a game that had no advantage other than how good it is by attributing it all to "Timing" is kind of a cheap shot, and it doesn't hold water.  It comes across as desperate.

GW2 is even being released at a time when many people are going back to school or college, unlike Tera and TSW, so if anything, GW2 had a disadvantage in "timing".

So, you really don't believe GW2 had a significant hype advantage over TSW due to GW1? D3 is another example, as it likely wouldn't have sold nearly as many copies if it had not been for the success of its predecessor.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not discrediting either game. I give them both credit that I feel is deserved, but I'm not blind to which game was more hyped. GW2 was in a whole hype-league of its own compared to a new IP like TSW. That makes a huge difference when it comes to sales, especially initially.

That's completely irrelevant to the discussion.  GW2 does have an advantage in being a known franchise, but it didn't have any advantage in "timing".  Unless you mean that it came out at the right time when everyone was sick of WoW clone BS.  Then someone would have an argument... maybe that's even what the poster I initially responded to meant, but they seemed to be saying it was coming out at the right time of year or when other new games weren't readily available, which is not true.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by alacres

That's completely irrelevant to the discussion.  GW2 does have an advantage in being a known franchise, but it didn't have any advantage in "timing".  Unless you mean that it came out at the right time when everyone was sick of WoW clone BS.  Then someone would have an argument... maybe that's even what the poster I initially responded to meant, but they seemed to be saying it was coming out at the right time of year or when other new games weren't readily available, which is not true.

I wasn't addressing the "timing" issue. I was addressing your point about how "GW2 has obviously outsold both of them, even with almost no real advertisting." Like I said, it's not really even fair to compare the sales of GW2 to a game like TSW, when it had substantially more hype built up, as well as a much larger following, due to the success and popularity of GW1.