Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com will be down for maintenance beginning at midnight EST on Tuesday, August 30. Downtime is expected to last only a couple of hours.

Password reset request daily.

VoiidiinVoiidiin Barrow, AKPosts: 817Member

Everyday since saturday 8-25-12 i have recieved an email from GW2 asking if i had requested a password reset. Obviously someone got my acct. details but i have no idea how. I never frequent websites considered "bad" for gamers. 

I sent in a tickets with ANet , but i was curious if any of you had advice ? Thanks in advance.

Lolipops !

Comments

• joeballsjoeballs Boston, MAPosts: 162Member Uncommon
    I've been getting the same thing.
  • VoiidiinVoiidiin Barrow, AKPosts: 817Member
    Sorry to say this, glad i am not the only one also.

Lolipops !

• tachgbtachgb SheffieldPosts: 791Member Uncommon
    I got 1 email yesterday saying this, 2 this morning. Time to change my password to some insane length with numbers, upper and lower cases!
  • dark3xddark3xd NottinghamPosts: 13Member

I've had the same thing twice now. I've reset my GW2 password to some epic combination. And also changed my gmail passwords and recovery details. The password reset emails I received were never read so I don't think my email account has been compromised.

Maybe some happy go lucky hackers having a whirl.

• dumbo11dumbo11 GuildfordPosts: 134Member
    Originally posted by Voiidiin
    Everyday since saturday 8-25-12 i have recieved an email from GW2 asking if i had requested a password reset. Obviously someone got my acct. details but i have no idea how. I never frequent websites considered "bad" for gamers.  I sent in a tickets with ANet , but i was curious if any of you had advice ? Thanks in advance.

IMHO it sounds like attackers have a list of email/passwords (likely stolen from a gaming website) with your email address on it.

I'd assume:

- an attacker would first attempt to login to GW2 using the email/password from the list.

- an attacker would then do 'forgot password' using the email, and attempt to login to your email using the email/password from the list.

[not sure if anyone can think of anything else?]

Things I'd do:

- as ever, be absolutely certain that you do not re-use passwords.  This is, by far, the easiest way to get hacked.

- run another virus/malware check 'just in case'.