Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Password reset request daily.

VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Everyday since saturday 8-25-12 i have recieved an email from GW2 asking if i had requested a password reset. Obviously someone got my acct. details but i have no idea how. I never frequent websites considered "bad" for gamers. 

I sent in a tickets with ANet , but i was curious if any of you had advice ? Thanks in advance.

Lolipops !

Comments

• joeballsjoeballs Member UncommonPosts: 163
    I've been getting the same thing.
  • VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    Sorry to say this, glad i am not the only one also.

Lolipops !

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    I got 1 email yesterday saying this, 2 this morning. Time to change my password to some insane length with numbers, upper and lower cases!
  • dark3xddark3xd Member Posts: 13

I've had the same thing twice now. I've reset my GW2 password to some epic combination. And also changed my gmail passwords and recovery details. The password reset emails I received were never read so I don't think my email account has been compromised.

Maybe some happy go lucky hackers having a whirl.

• dumbo11dumbo11 Member Posts: 134
    Originally posted by Voiidiin

Everyday since saturday 8-25-12 i have recieved an email from GW2 asking if i had requested a password reset. Obviously someone got my acct. details but i have no idea how. I never frequent websites considered "bad" for gamers. 

I sent in a tickets with ANet , but i was curious if any of you had advice ? Thanks in advance.

IMHO it sounds like attackers have a list of email/passwords (likely stolen from a gaming website) with your email address on it.

I'd assume:

- an attacker would first attempt to login to GW2 using the email/password from the list.

- an attacker would then do 'forgot password' using the email, and attempt to login to your email using the email/password from the list.

[not sure if anyone can think of anything else?]

Things I'd do:

- as ever, be absolutely certain that you do not re-use passwords.  This is, by far, the easiest way to get hacked.

- run another virus/malware check 'just in case'.