Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else annoyed by the story quests ?

2»

Comments

• HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226
    That's pretty weird.  Story quests are like the main thing - certainly the most immersive thigns for me.

• gieger808gieger808 Member UncommonPosts: 158

They are cheesy. But its a nice change of pace. I don't mind them. I'm not even sure if  you need to do them.

This game is a themepark, but its a sandbox in the tems of creating your own experience. You can ignore some aspects if you like, and not be handicapped.

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by thunderC

And what I mean by annoyed is I feel like every time i am in my "Instanced personel story quest " I am thinking about being out in the game world and what potential DE i could be missing or what valuable "exploring time " I am wasting . I know people will respond "Well you don't have to do them" but as a somewhat completionist I feel compelled to finish my story quests , Plus the rewards are very good.

I guess A-net is to blame for making their game world so alive and awesome that I feel like the instancing of story quests kinds of breaks my immersion in game. Anyone feel this way ?

Instances, much less "personal storylines" should never be attempted because no matter how much money you throw at them, they'll always come out meh to bad.

They're easily the worst part of the game. If people wanted singleplayer stuff they could have played a singleplayer game.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Love story quest:) thouse got some nice humor and some times reward is nice, like amulet, back slot gear and exp potions. maeby there was keys too to chests....
  • TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Arskaaa
    Love story quest:) thouse got some nice humor and some times reward is nice, like amulet, back slot gear and exp potions. maeby there was keys too to chests....

Too bad they're poorly written, extremely easy, and extremely boring... and they cut you off from the world.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

On the one hand, I like them. They're well made and give some direction.

On the other hand: yes, you are constantly zoned in and out of stuff. There you are in an overflow zone, pop into the "real" zone for a minute, then another loading screen when you go to a larger city, and then you are again in an instance for your personal quest. It's all chopped up.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

well the personal story quests are the only quests i like in the game..

The hearts are basically standard go kill this go collect that quests just made super long so instead of just having to kill 5 - 10 things its more like 30.. and instead of collecting 5-10 things you need to collect 50 and you can only pick 1 up at a time.. Very very very very boring... even some of the so called dynamic events are like this.. they all seem to happen in the same spots as well and the only thing dynamic about them seem to be the time they start at least in the early stages..

So in comparison the story quests are actually quite fun to do. other than that the only thing to do thats fun in GW2 is WvWvW.

• kallistakallista Member Posts: 58
    The AI is horrible in this game, I feel kinda embarrassed for the coders.
  • Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Tibernicus

And what I mean by annoyed is I feel like every time i am in my "Instanced personel story quest " I am thinking about being out in the game world and what potential DE i could be missing or what valuable "exploring time " I am wasting . I know people will respond "Well you don't have to do them" but as a somewhat completionist I feel compelled to finish my story quests , Plus the rewards are very good.

I guess A-net is to blame for making their game world so alive and awesome that I feel like the instancing of story quests kinds of breaks my immersion in game. Anyone feel this way ?

Instances, much less "personal storylines" should never be attempted because no matter how much money you throw at them, they'll always come out meh to bad.

They're easily the worst part of the game. If people wanted singleplayer stuff they could have played a singleplayer game.

I totally agree with this.   

That said, I've found GW2 storylines far less annoying than my Bounty Hunters story in SWTOR at least.  I can't speak for any of the other classes but the BH storyline was abysmally bad.  Some guy that has about a minute screen time in the opening cutscene gets murdered and the rest of my MMORPG story revolves around me avenging him, babysitting Mako, and beating said murderer in a tournament?   Oh, of course, along the way I become the best BH in the land, marry the girl/clone robot, and fly off...wait, no, forgot space had rails.  If I spoiled any of that for you just thank me and use spacebar.

As far as I'm concerned, in an MMO, the less personal it is the better.  I'd much rather immerse myself publicly... Which I believe gets me back on topic with the OP.  I'd rather be out in the open world, with opportunities of meeting other people than stuck in an instance with poor AI and scripted events that are only personal because they're taking all the people on an MMO and putting them in their own singleplayer instances.   

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    The story lines are missing the emotional connection I am so used to from the original GW games.
  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by DMKano

^ Exactly - and to top it all off the cheesy voiceover work, and some really poor writing - I can't stand the personal story quests in GW2. Worst part of the game by far.

Good thing you don't have to do these - ever. I think I got up to like 64 and just got to the point where I said.. F this. Done with personal story quest.

Way too much running around just to TALK to somebody in the main city - and then have to run 7 zones away to continue ... uggh!

Also the decision to always have your character facing somebody against a blank backdrop to listen to that aweful script ... who came up with that bright idea? It looks so cheap and lame. How about doing some flyovers over the awesome zones they built - you know showcase the game's strong point *graphics* - /facepalm

I would rather have the npc clips like in the first. Those were more interesting becuase they made use of the environment instead of some random backdrop. It also made actions believable (walking, pointing, picking up things). Rytlock saying he is grabbing something, makes no movement, then acts as if he has it sucks. Lol.

• Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222

No not really.

If I have a choice of A (complete everything) or B (do the most favorite things in a game and skip those I like less) then I do the one I like better. 

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I think it's pretty good actually.

I self identify as a monkey.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Carnival story is the best human story .

Its epic.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    I'm enjoying my charr story so far, more so than my sylvari one.only thing that makes me cringe is the female charr voice acting...its almost unbearable at times.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,454
    After playing SWTOR and (esp.) TSW, GW2's stories seem weak by comparison.  Not horrible but not great, either.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.