Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Guild Wars 2 Launch Edition

Comments

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Love it so far.  I agree on the bad potentially being the cost of transmutation stones all the way to L80.

The good for me is the map clearing, WvW is a blast also, I like that it adjusts your level down too when you are in a lower area, I could keep on going and going.  I'll just say my own verdict at the moment is I am having a ton of fun.  I feel like there is still a big mountain of learning to get through to fully understand how all the classes work and what we all can be doing in PvP and even in PvE to a degree. 

• Hobbes92Hobbes92 Member Posts: 8

Call me critical but I wouldn't necesarrily consider the personal storyline to be a "high point". This isn't to say it's a low point, because I'd rather have some semblance of a story rather than text boxes. However my experience with the story so far is that it's very contrived. It's filled with cliche and camp, and it's not made clear if this is all tongue in cheek, or they're realy trying to get the player to take the story seriously. Personally I can't. Despite the stellar cast of voice actors the writing is very basic, and most of the delivery is on par with an old episode of Days of Our Lives.

I know story isn't what GW2 is focusing on, but I've seen far to many players wax poetic about the "Incredible peronsal storyline".

I hate to draw comparison, but The Secret World (despite it's poor sales) has far better writing, voice acting, and overal emersion with it's story.

Just my two cents on the matter. Keep in mind I'm only talking about the personalized storyling, because I'm having a blast with GW2 and I think it's great!

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    The fire elemental in metrica really is OP
  • KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Good write up Bill.

The grouping and overflow could stand some improvement.  I spent the weekend grouped with my son and we surfed in and out of overflow zones and sometimes had a hard time meeting up.  That might smooth out a bit though once the rush is past.

The only thing I wish is that the personal story could be done with others.  I realize that could be tricky, but some people I know have a hard time with some of the story instances and would appreciate some help along the way.

This is my only real complaint...But it's a HUGE problem IMHO...If you were lucky enough to be able to run with someone you know for an extended period of time, from what I experienced, that's the clear minority...This bug better get fixed fast...It's a major "have-to-have" in MMO Gaming...It's a Top 3 must-have feature IMHO...Most folks will let this slide for a few days...But anything past a week or so is going to be a problem...If I can't Group with my Guild, and have ZERO issues doing so within a week or so, I'm quitting this Game until they get it fixed...It's a massive issue for my Guild...My Guildies are pretty pissed off about it already...It was the subject of Vent over this past weekend...It's hard to believe they launched a Game with this bug...REAL hard to believe...

But other than that the Game is pretty cool...image

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263

I got transmutation items in two occasions. I got like 4 trans items from a chest, and was lucky to get the key from a mob drop. And I got like 3 trans items from the dragon boss in the swamp. I used one of the trans items for a staff I liked. However, there are some restrictions for transmuting items. I think I read somewhere that the items have to be the same type. I tried to transmute a chest piece but didn't work out, don't know if it was because one of the items was "blue" and the other one "gray". I didn't receive any message, just that the Transmute button was disabled.

The overflow thing is annoying though. Last night I was choosing to re-queue to avoid a loading screen since I was doing the personal stories and didn't need to group. But I understand when peeps can't group up. Hopefully the issue will be fixed soon.

• SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    I'm a pvp person all the way myself but just like Bill, I havent touched it yet, I can't get over how awesome it is to run in an open field and just pick up event after event with random people, stop and heal them up, make new friends, its just great. My only dish on the game aside from what Bill has here is that 3-4 hours can pass and you don't even realize it.

There is an option in-game to display real local time clock next to the minimap. Very helpful.

Edit: one more thing - to my own surprise, my old AMD X2 5600+ CPU together with HD 5770 handle the game very well... for some reason the FPS in Sylvari starting area drops to 15, but it manages to keep a stable 25 FPS, or more, in every other zone I've been so far (It drops somewhat when there are >20 people and NPCs fighting around me, but that's not really a surprise). I have to mention that I heaven't try WvW yet though.
  • EvokerzEvokerz Member UncommonPosts: 37

For everyone and Bill to take note that:

- Green Transmutation stone: for gear lvl 1 - 79 only

- Yellow Transmutation stone: for any lvl of gears 1 - 80 (more expensive to puchase at shop)

It's well written on the item description.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    The most fun exploring ever! This comming from someone who hated all the fanboi-ism over the last year. This game is frikn epic bro!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,003

Only problem I have is that when I go to add a friend it says the person doesn't exist. Could be me physically doing something wrong but I add character name or display name and it tells me the person doesn't exist when they do.

Other than that and the trading post being down everything else other than the first day of head start had been going smoothly.

I'm currently exploring other races start zones as well as progressing my personal story. The charr starting zone is over packed with d/e's happening left right and center way more busier than the human city.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I like turtles.
  • TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    I have not heard one gold spam in game either muahhaha
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore
    The most fun exploring ever! This comming from someone who hated all the fanboi-ism over the last year. This game is frikn epic bro!

not really exploring when you can clearly see everything marked on the map.. thats a big let down.. but its not the worse bit about the game..

• redcoreredcore Member UncommonPosts: 108

please..DO NOT nerf fire elemental!! keep it as hard as possible..wiping happens because of humans errors..not because he is hard !!! and if you end up with 30 people who don't kill embers, who rise up his difficulty and are lower level - well no wonder that they are dead!

DO NOT NERF F ELEMENTAL anet

• redcoreredcore Member UncommonPosts: 108

and i love gw2 too :-) fantastic game so far :-D and those jumping puzzles are pure awesomnes!!!

well done anet..by the way - i just hope that i will be able to send whatever i want to my another characters..because right now i it's impossible

• quidomquidom Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Not even a full day and the game is down and even the forums are down. With the constant relying on the overflow servers to handle the traffic I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the game's debut. I am sure it will all work out in time but -damn- it's the first day!

My head smells like buzzing

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by quidom
    Not even a full day and the game is down and even the forums are down. With the constant relying on the overflow servers to handle the traffic I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the game's debut. I am sure it will all work out in time but -damn- it's the first day!

its a sch. maintanance.....

• RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249

If u want instant queues for pvp you can always instantly transfer to a less populated server for free and get instant pvp

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,745

Every time a new big name MMO launches you get logging issues, it is the norm. It has happened so many times before you would think peeps get that now.

Having custom gear from the off says a lot about the effort put into the game prior to launch. Hearing about how you need to keep paying to keep a certain look as you level up does seem very off though. Cosmetic items are the best way for a csah shop to make money while not effecting gameplay. If such items cost too much players will as the article suggested just not buy them until max level.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Dampyre
    I have not heard one gold spam in game either muahhaha

We've had a few on our server :(

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• Ethos86Ethos86 Member Posts: 124

The game is so good. I can't believe it topped my expectations on every aspect (and they were already towering high).

I'm level 20+ now and I only completed 100% map on Asura capital city and 100% map completion on the Asura lvl 1-15 zone. And I did wander a bit around in the norn area and human area. I don't know what to do first now, so many cool stuff to do! Making me crazy and excited to play more... wish I could but I'm still at work.

First time ever I really enjoy crafting too, damn I'm gathering everything I spot on my minimap. My armor smithing is lvl 82 and my cooking is lvl 145. The discovery part on cooking is hard but it is fun and rewarding.

I wanted to do WvW and PvP but I didn't got to it yet. I'm enjoying my personal story line and i'm grouping in my friends one as wel now and then (it doesn't work all the time, seems to be bugged sometimes so i can't join in on it). There's always some reward to get, some new zone to explore, gaining more map completion, gaining more achievement points, seeing a new event unfolding... really awesome.

My friend told me he was excited to be lvl 30 to start the dungeon... I'm not really looking forward much... I'm having the most fun already and I havn't even unlocked all my skills yet or even checked out my traits (which i will do next time i'll log in). I have a feeling the world is massive and it will take me a while to make it to 100% world completion and having the end game armor i really want... and after that I'm sure i'll enjoy my other 7 planned alt characters. I must have one of every class.

My search for MMO's is over. I'm sure, I have never been more sure about it. This is it. I'll enjoy this one the next few years. I'm not saying everyone will... I don't need everyone to enjoy it like I do. But I just know with the amount of time I can play (which is much more limeted now I have a wife, job, house and kid's in the planning) this will keep me entertained for a very long time.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Regarding bad point 1 - It wasnt called Guild Wars because of player Guilds. It was the lore.

Bad point 2 - IF youre solely relying on the cash shop yes it can be expensive, but theres no need to. Ive got a couple dozen of those transmute things just sitting in my bank, all of them gained for free from various quests, chests, map completions,a nd completions of daily tasks. Thats after just a few days. A few weeks ill have more than ill know what to do with, so dont really see any reason to need to buy them unless youre swapping into new gear every level or 2 and kep trasnferring the look to every single piece.

Good point 3 - Yeah I have been way less interested in the pvp than expected. Usually I cant stand PvE in most games and am all about the PvP, but the PvE and travelling through the world have got me sucked in to the point where ive only hopped into pvp a few times for short periods to test out my characters. When the game was getting ready to launch i was all like "hell yeah im gonna kick some ass in pvp" then i logged in and havent been able to stop doing everything BUT pvp. The damn jumping puzzles have me addicted too ><

Love the fire elemental nerf comment. Shit cracks me up. Youve got the trolls crying "omg game is so easy and dumbed down, you can own everything mashing 1 button", meanwhile everyone who has fought the fire elemental is constantly complaining about how hard it is. Where are all those pro trolls who 1 button own the whole game when you need them at the fire elemental?

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by cronius77
    Originally posted by quidom

its a sch. maintanance.....

Some people would rather play with broken stuff for months like in most games than have them you know actually fix stuff which requires a short server downtime. 

• pixelRainbowpixelRainbow Member Posts: 4

Just one note to map completion: TSW also has it and it is also one of the nice features for me, an explorer type of gamer.

Anyway, GW2 certainly looks interesting and I will give it a go sometime later for sure.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453
    Have to agree. I also run to pvp ASAP but not sure I will bother for a few weeks at least.. 90% of the time I am side tracked and spend hours falling into random stuff and then resource gathering. Might be playing for a few years with this one.
  • VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Can't invite peeps to a guild in GW2. You cannot get a lunch bug worse than that.

Surely that has been resolved now.