Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: 200k Sold, Funcom to Shift Focus for the Future

Comments

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Kenze

haha  GW2 had 400k concurant users during just the headstart to TSW's only 200k SOLD.

Those are some telling numbers.

And...this is the type of post that makes people hate GW2 fans.  

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by Kenze

haha  GW2 had 400k concurant users during just the headstart to TSW's only 200k SOLD.

Those are some telling numbers.

And...this is the type of post that makes people hate GW2 fans.  

In game community in GW2 is awesome, only the forums here are infested by people like these.

Bite Me

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Ragnar tweeted today that Funcom will continue to support TSW.

@Ragnar Tørnquist?
    Funcom aren't giving up on #TSW. Quite the contrary, it's the company's main focus. The team will continue to work as planned!

It makes all kinds of sense for Funcom to be exploring what worked and what didn't. There are several notes in the quarterly report that mention impact and adjustment based on commentaries from the press.

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by Jaedor

@Ragnar Tørnquist?
    Funcom aren't giving up on #TSW. Quite the contrary, it's the company's main focus. The team will continue to work as planned!

It makes all kinds of sense for Funcom to be exploring what worked and what didn't. There are several notes in the quarterly report that mention impact and adjustment based on commentaries from the press.

That's good news! :)

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    lewl.
  • NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by Zooce
    lewl.

He was a man of few words.

Bite Me

• LydarSynnLydarSynn Member UncommonPosts: 181

Hopefully, these numbers will make Funcom and other developers shift away- far away- from the tired old themepark model. If you want a themepark, you have WoW, GW2 and a large number of lesser played games.

The MMO genre needs something new. I think the success of DayZ will point to a new and more challenging future for MMOs. The realistic sim is a genre that needs to be explored more fully in multiplayer gaming. While DayZ is just a mod, it is also just a start. I for one hope that there will be many more titles that focus on realism and more difficult and rewarding play.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Kind of shocking. While I can't say it was an 'amazing' game, it was by far a better game then ToR and had plenty to it that made it interesting to detract from the combat system that could feel a bit clunky (which to me is not far at all from what GW2 feels like). 

Shame really, I never got into it but it wasn't a game I'd want to fail either.

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by Jaedor

@Ragnar Tørnquist?

This is good news. Hopefully they can afford to keep enough of the team together to put out regular updates. Realistically the monthly schedule they proposed seems dead. Maybe bi-monthly at best now. 

• FitzleFitzle Member Posts: 46

I bought the game and thought it was pretty decent. I like the modern setting with the horror aspects.  The voice acting was excellent and the storylines very interesting. The investigation missions are a great twist and truly something different to what's out there now.

I was leary to buy it initially even though I am one of those people who really appreciate the setting! Leary because I bought AO when it came out and it pretty well poisoned Funcom's name for me.  I wonder how many MMO players were really turned off based off Funcom's 'less than stellar' reputation for MMO's of the past?

I was pretty impressed with TSW and was surprised that Funcom got it one right finally!

All that being said, I guess it didn't have a lot of staying power with me either. After I worked my way though the game I can't say there was enough there to keep me paying a monthly sub.

• DemandmanDemandman Member Posts: 57

As someone who never even considered buying it: TSW just looked like a well-crafted piece of DULL who had nothing to offer my social cravings.

TSW rates highly both on metacritic and here, but I suspect that it convinced single-player oriented gamers who actually likes questing, while the more community-oriented ones steered clear.

It is curious... It's not often we see a hailed game (and continously so) fall so hard?

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by Demandman
    TSW rates highly both on metacritic and here, but I suspect that it convinced single-player oriented gamers who actually likes questing, while the more community-oriented ones steered clear.
    That might be your experience, but it hasn't  been mine. /shrug

• PalaziousPalazious Member Posts: 162

I was looking forward to it until i played it in beta.

Great ideas... horrible, clunky gameplay.  Gameplay was like a so-so indie game.   I figured it would do a bit better then 200k tho.

Palazious <The Vindicators> Darkfall
    Palazious r40, rr45 SW War
    Palazious 50 Pirate PoTBS
    Palazious 35 Sorcerer Vanguard
    Palazious 75 wizard EQ
    Paladori 50 Champion LOTRO
    Poppa Reaver bugged at rank15

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    The really sad part is all the trolls who whine every day that every game is nothing but a WoW clone go out of their way to trash talk any game that goes out of its way not to be a WoW clone.
  • KethrymKethrym Member Posts: 85

After the debacle that was Post Tortage in AoC did anyone REALLY think that the gaming community would go out and get behind TSW?    I mean come on, you'd have to be delusional or just be ignorant to think that Funcom got out AoC with anything than a last dying breath. 

What they should have done is update Anarchy Online, there are no real Sci-Fi MMO's right now, let alone any with the depth of AO.   Instead they got greedy and now get to pay the price. 

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by Tibernicus

May have worked out better for you Funcom if you hadn't pretended this was an MMO and just sold it as a coop RPG, as you should have.

Dishonesty sinks you again.

This. A lot of people who beta tested the game and liked it didn't feel like it was worth the monthly sub, didn't buy it, and told everyone they knew that, while TSW was a good game, it wasn't really an MMO. 

If TSW and SWTOR were F2P/b2p from the start, both games would have done a lot better. 

Oh without a doubt. People expect something when you label a game as an MMORPG and stick a monthly fee on it. TSW and SWTOR didn't have those things.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Why was the title of this article not: "Funcom laying off 50%, Getting out of the MMO development business".

Those being the two most important takeaways from that release.

Oh, and FC wrote off $35 mil on the value of TSW because it is tanking.

• bcrankshawbcrankshaw Member Posts: 547
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Why was the title of this article not: "Funcom laying off 50%, Getting out of the MMO development business".

Interesting, but what do you mean they "wrote off $35 million". How do you value an MMO, is this predicted subscriptions?

"after the time of dice came the day of mice "

Originally posted by bcrankshaw
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Interesting, but what do you mean they "wrote off $35 million". How do you value an MMO, is this predicted subscriptions?

They listed it on the financial report as an "impairment charge", which is to say they wrote of that much of documentable value of TSW, which is to say cost of development, value of sales contracts,  value of IP (when applicable), and various other things. The total value FC puts on TSW is anyone's guess, but they certainly chopped off a big chunk.

They also listed spending $9.8 mil on launch costs, including  marketing for TSW, for all the good it did them.

The long and the short of it is FC got slammed on the non-success of TSW. They are not cashflow positive as a company, and won't be for a while, if ever. And thus the "around 50%" layoffs, which is a ton.

The whole financial report sounded as if deperately trying to find some positive bits in a sea of punishment.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Wow, I thought they sold at least 500k.

Disappointing news for FunCom, this was supposed to be there magnum opus.

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Kost

Wow, I thought they sold at least 500k.

Disappointing news for FunCom, this was supposed to be there magnum opus.

A pseudo online Diablo game, their magnum opus? No, that was Anarchy Online.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

I think they should just do away with the box price. Make it sub based, but dont have a box, just a $5 price tag for the game key. Kinda like EvE.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Moral of the Story-

B2P + P2P + Cash shop = Failure.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    Vanguard would kill for 200k subs

Vanguard would kill for 10k subs lol.

Originally posted by Kost
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    Vanguard would kill for 200k subs