Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Garrett's First Impressions

2»

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by travamars
    Originally posted by scy1987 Lets hear about the cash shop and how much all of those charactor slots cost since people cant stick to one. Bank slots etc...
    haha!! been using the cash shop !!!!=HERE TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!-i support Anet!!!...i cant get enough Dye kits!...on another note- whats going on with the players'trade hub'?..AH?...its been down for a while.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by orbitxo

haha so true! i cough t myself thinking  that also or just jumping into a batte from another player =hes not like, 'thats my kill!'-hes like' yes come join'!!!...

and iam addicted to the 'vistas' they are soo fun and seen some funny player moments !

The event boss-type guy spawns, and you have a high position to watch the toons closing in on from all directions...classic.

And no squabbling, racing for the tag, assorted asshatery.  Hallelujah.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Yup I love this game! I've been playing since head start did not miss a single minute, and I am a level 24 char warrior with weapon smithing at 65 and I am having a blast! However I forgot my naga mouse last night I play at work so I couldn't do any pvp :( DAMN YOU ARENANET !
  • WynterArwynWynterArwyn Member UncommonPosts: 37

Originally posted by Grimlock426
    Originally posted by scy1987

so now can we get a legi review? not done by someone who has been waiting for the game and have a pre order? you know a average gamer? atleast one that has the ballz to point out its flaws and how the game copies things from others? one that combines the good and te bad not just "OMG i played here are all the good....now go buy it!"

where r the cons? why does this game do so good? why are things it does being hailed as gamechangers when they have already been done? a honest joes review would be appreciated....

I think the game is amazing, but I'll give one HUGE con and that's the grouping system.  One of the major selling points of the game was the ease with which you're supposed to be able to group up, but so far in my experience, it's been anything but easy.

I still find I'm in an overflow server when my wife is not, then we get into the same instance and then one of us gets booted to another.  It's been VERY annoying.  I don't mind soloing, but my wife is very much a social player who mostly wants to group up, and for someone like her it's almost been a game breaker.

I hope Anet gets this fixed ASAP!

Yeah the grouping has been an issue, but they are working on fixing it. Hopefully you submitted /bug reports to help get it fixed faster.

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Good article. I like reading about other people's experiences thus far.

After the first few days I feel that GW2 is..."ok". It's neither great nor awful. It certainly isn't as good as some of the fans here suggest, nor as bad as trolls claim. Personally I've had just as much fun, if not more, with other titles at launch. Time will tell though.

For me, the best two things about it are 1) it loads quickly, and 2) I can still maintain my TSW or EVE sub without twice the cost.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

so now can we get a legi review? not done by someone who has been waiting for the game and have a pre order? you know a average gamer? atleast one that has the ballz to point out its flaws and how the game copies things from others? one that combines the good and te bad not just "OMG i played here are all the good....now go buy it!"

where r the cons? why does this game do so good? why are things it does being hailed as gamechangers when they have already been done? a honest joes review would be appreciated....

You wont get that for a while here.  If anyone mentions cons they get called trolls or told they haven't played the game.

At least the OP mentioned the down servers........any other game and people would be crying about the failed launch. Lets hear about the cash shop and how much all of those charactor slots cost since people cant stick to one. Bank slots etc...

I would not call three hours of downtime a failed launch. If the servers were laggy when people were around me and the servers crashed then maybe you have a failed launch, but the game does not lag even when you have 50 or more people fighting in one event with all the effects going off around you.

You start with 5 character slots, if you want more yes they cost and right now I think the cost is high. I think most of the cash shop items are high priced and until the prices come down I dont see me spending much on gems. I bought 10 bucks worth but did not spend them because nothing is the right price for me yet.

I want more bank slots. I made my own guild and it a couple of days will have enough influence to get 50 bank slots. And since your chracters can join any guild you can own a guild for bank slots and have your other characters in a real guild if you dont want to really lead a guild.

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272
    The launch is/was better than most and the game feels better than every game I played yet (in 12+ years online) - so far. But I am pretty confident this won't change.
  • chbautistchbautist Member Posts: 50

You wont get that for a while here.  If anyone mentions cons they get called trolls or told they haven't played the game.

At least the OP mentioned the down servers........any other game and people would be crying about the failed launch. Lets hear about the cash shop and how much all of those charactor slots cost since people cant stick to one. Bank slots etc...

A friend of mine played this weekend with us, she bitched all weekend that the game was horrible, and she'd go back to GW1 and stuff like that. (she was playing an elementalist like me) She truly hated everything, how the character moved, the jumping, the swimming... the map was total crap and she couldn't figure out anything.

Yesterday, she had a day off so she tried a Thief. Now, go figure she loves the game...

I think its a great game, had some bugs during headstart, has a few less now and that should just keep getting better. What people don't like about it so far, except the launch bugs is the learning curve. So do like my friend there is nothing better to figure out the game mechanics than starting fresh again with a different character.

My personnal beef is with overflow and how it makes it hard to play as a group sometimes. also the 5 player group limit may be too low. I understant the 5 man dungeon thing but for day to day PVE... I'd like to have a few more friends hanging around.

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    I find the downed state really nice simply because when I'm downed, anyone close by will come to my aid, and if I see someone off in the distance who is fighting to get back up, I drop my speed boost staff skill as a guardian or my call of the pack as a ranger to come to their aid. It is fun to actually be able to be supportive of people. And I'm finding that 95% of each map community is nice and eager to help explain things or give items to the uninitiated. I'm having a blast!
  • seitz55seitz55 Member Posts: 7
    Great game but I would like aoe looting and customizable /movable ui.

Closed Beta tester for WAR.CO.FE.DCUO.SWTOR

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by seitz55
    Great game but I would like aoe looting and customizable /movable ui.

they had that in GW1 and I believe they are planning to make that available in the near future.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    I'd just be careful not to go crazy with the review, Garrette, since if  in 6 months time we are talking a few hundred thousand playing every day then we will all be chalking GW2 up as a nice, but just another, high fantasy mmo.