Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reddit Thread with Banned Comments...

Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

Anet has been communicating on Reddit and explaining their banning policy.  Some are questioning why they were banned.  In some cases, their accounts were hijacked.  In others, offensive comments got them in trouble.

I found it absolutely hysterical (and rather pathetic), that some of these idiots have no idea why their comments would get them banned.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/yxx3m/suspensions_for_offensive_names_and_inappropriate/

Comments

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Heh, some of them are hilarious.
  • KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171
    awesome thread
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Sounds like they're only going for people with obviously offensive names.

Guess my Sylvari named Canola is okay.

• Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684

Looks like we're in Kindergarden here with ArenaNet.

I wonder if they give out gold stars to kids, uhh I mean people who behave properly?

The 3 day instant suspension is outrageous.

• truthhurtstruthhurts Member Posts: 74
    Originally posted by Starpower

[–]gamer_vice 9 point10 point11 point

siden

I would like to know why my account was blocked. IGN: Vice

siden

Name: OK Chat -- not OK: "shut the fuck up with non-english, geez >.<"

Looks like they can be quite anal too

Anal, maybe...but if they can weed these people out of the community the game would be much better off for it.  A random f-bomb is one thing, but in this context?  I have no issues with a 3 day ban for this.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Ghost12
    Looks like we're in Kindergarden here with ArenaNet. I wonder if they give out gold stars to kids, uhh I mean people who behave properly? The 3 day instant suspension is outrageous.

It would be outrageous perhaps in a subscription based game, but as this is B2P they lose no subscription time over it. Seems fine as a way to give players time to think about their actions and and realize that it is not acceptable in this game.

Some posters in the reddit thread seem like an infinite amount of time wouldn't lead to this understanding.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

I wonder if they give out gold stars to kids, uhh I mean people who behave properly?

Quite simply, Anet made it clear they were going to try everything to prevent their community from being the cesspit other MMOs are. 

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

I hope the keep it up, chase off the mouth breathers to another corner of the net.

• Thornz2000Thornz2000 Member Posts: 135
    Think a Sylvari name of Hemp Man or Ganja Girl would get wacked?

The world we know is going away http://www.graystatemovie.com/
    Look up Agenda 21 as well.

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Box says kids under 13 can't play, I don't have a "Humourous" name, but I don't think they should cater to the kiddies with all these bans. In GW1 there were always plentiful joke names, even guild names that were displayed to the whole world when they won Hall of heroes like "I didn't know Gwen was ten" etc. They already made their story way to simplistic and like it was for kids, except they use big adult words and there were two plant men who loved each other...
  • StinkFootStinkFoot Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by truthhurts
    Originally posted by Starpower

[–]gamer_vice 9 point10 point11 point

siden

I would like to know why my account was blocked. IGN: Vice

siden

Name: OK Chat -- not OK: "shut the fuck up with non-english, geez >.<"

Looks like they can be quite anal too

Anal, maybe...but if they can weed these people out of the community the game would be much better off for it.  A random f-bomb is one thing, but in this context?  I have no issues with a 3 day ban for this.

What has happened often too much in MMO communities is a term called "Cyber-Bullying" or "Racism". Guild Wars 2 is an open game that attracts many people of different backgrounds, cultures, and languages.  If someone was talking in spanish in real-life to someone else, it would be considered very rude innappropriate behavior or racist to go up to that person and shout the vulgarity sourced above.

I hope some "gamers" out there realize and understand that these games like this aren't just specifcally built for a certain "gaming protocol of people" assumed to be the only types that are allowed to game on MMO's and no one else is. There are more minorities coming to play games (and even making the games, notice how most MMO's on the markets are made by Koreans! Even Arena.Net's parent company is NcSoft) more than what acknowledgement has been given.

Arena.Net wants to keep Guild Wars 2 as T-friendly as possible too.

Is the 3-days bans long? Perhaps but at the same time hopefully it'll weed out people who more often than not garbage-dump on games and the immaturity that goes along with it.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Sigh, I have a name i want to use, but now im worried someone might miss interprate it.. not that its anyway against their ToS.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Originally posted by Betakodo
    Box says kids under 13 can't play, I don't have a "Humourous" name, but I don't think they should cater to the kiddies with all these bans. In GW1 there were always plentiful joke names, even guild names that were displayed to the whole world when they won Hall of heroes like "I didn't know Gwen was ten" etc. They already made their story way to simplistic and like it was for kids, except they use big adult words and there were two plant men who loved each other...

You have it backwards, it's the kids who are the ones who feel the need seek attention with offending names and profane language.

Adults would be the ones with restraint, consideration for others and a working vocabulary that isn't dependent on adolescent insults and cursing.

Not banning offensive behavior would be catering to the kiddies as you put it.

• StinkFootStinkFoot Member Posts: 25

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/yxx3m/suspensions_for_offensive_names_and_inappropriate/

It looks like Arena.net has some sense of humor but if your not sure you can always double-check on their reddit or customer service!

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

I completely support their policy and activities to enforce it.  It's unfortunate that it's necessary.  Nevertheless, when people can't or won't behave with responsibility and consideration for others, Anet must play the authority figure.

I"m sure they hate having to do it.  Consider the amount of money they are spending policing their customers.  That is money better spent supporting other features in the game. 

Unfortunate.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

QQ I don't get to act like an asshat on the internet because of the anonymity and get away with it anymore image

Good job ANet, keep it going.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

That thread is hilarious!

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    For me, this is another check mark in Anet's favour. 
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by strangepower

Originally posted by Betakodo

You have it backwards, it's the kids who are the ones who feel the need seek attention with offending names and profane language.

Adults would be the ones with restraint, consideration for others and a working vocabulary that isn't dependent on adolescent insults and cursing.

+10 well said

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261

Actually , they don't allow kindergarten classes to act like many of the idiots on the cesspool known as Reddite and SA do.

Arenanet makes me want to spend money in their online store to help support them.

Continue to ban these types AN , and I'll support you for years to come.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Thanks for the laffs. O:

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by strangepower

Age does not define maturity.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Great to see this kind of negative, ugly behavior being penalised. Maybe, just maybe it will teach those offenders a valuable life lesson. 
  • redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

Ok...this reddit thread is awesome.

I alway knew that all the people who complained about being banned for no reason where full of it, this proves it without censorship.

However.

I find it very sad that in a mature rated game using swearwords gets you banned.  Lucky reddit doesnt ban for adult language..

I understand when people get racial or go over the top insulting someone to ban them.. some of the sentances being posted as reason for banned is very...PG not rated M or even rated PG13.

Im use to playing sandbox games where you basically need to get over the top racial, using it as an insult, or personally threaten someone or do something serious to get banned...dont think i would last very long in this game given that.