Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: 200k Sold, Funcom to Shift Focus for the Future

Comments

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    Vanguard would kill for 200k subs

Seen Smedly lately? O.o

(Kidding K? Kidding.)

• kol56kol56 Member Posts: 124
    Originally posted by rpgalon
    Originally posted by Rusque

TSW failed in delivering fun. People played the beta, found out that funcom forgot to include a game with their software and here we are.

Everyone who talks about how great it is must be from another planet. It's not a good game, it didn't try to be different, it just wasn't fun. Proof is in the numbers.  Even 1-2 weeks after launch you had people who were previously fanboys that were already bored with it.

No fun, no subs. Big surprise.

High retention and low sales can tell that the game was good but not hyped. in other words, you are wrong.

But TSW had low sales and bad retention.

"Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge."

"The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy"
    -Seinfeld

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

Truly sad because now that I have tried GW2 with their story for 12 year olds (probably written by some of that age too) I ike TSW even more. And I'm not bashing GW2 here becaue I'll play that one too as my 2nd MMO at least for a while but TSW is just bloody good.

Hope they can get it going one way or another and I don't regret buying lifetime sub either because I really appreciate what FC has done with this one. Been playing MMOs since EQ but for the first time in over 10 years I actually listen to and read quests in TSW because most of them are just masterpiece.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430
    Originally posted by kol56

TSW failed in delivering fun. People played the beta, found out that funcom forgot to include a game with their software and here we are.

Everyone who talks about how great it is must be from another planet. It's not a good game, it didn't try to be different, it just wasn't fun. Proof is in the numbers.  Even 1-2 weeks after launch you had people who were previously fanboys that were already bored with it.

High retention and low sales can tell that the game was good but not hyped. in other words, you are wrong.

where did you get yours bad retention info?

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by Piiritus

Truly sad because now that I have tried GW2 with their story for 12 year olds (probably written by some of that age too) I ike TSW even more. And I'm not bashing GW2 here becaue I'll play that one too as my 2nd MMO at least for a while but TSW is just bloody good.

Dont worry GW2 will soon be your first MMO once TSW shuts down or gets new content every 6 months.

Game sold 200k, it has box price + sub +cash shop if it got enugh money they woudnt be layying off ppl. Subs are probably around 50k at best,

Common sense?

This is another themepark, finish the content, get to endgame and leave, and the PVP blows.

There is nothing else to do, and there are already way too many "i quit" threads all over the internet.

0 replayability, same ol' endgame = F2P in a couple of months.

Im not even a hater, i loved TSW... for a month, then i finished all the content.

TSW would have sold MUCH MUCH more as a single player RPG with 0 online, not even co-op.

"Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge."

"The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy"
    -Seinfeld

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Too bad :(...

I liked  the game, the graphics were cool, I personally enjoyed the combat and the interesting quests...however...what lost me was the lack-luster attempt at PvP, fusang projects was ok, but it wasn't popular enough to make it fun.  The pvp mini-games werent too great, though stonehenge was decently fun.

And the biggest killer of them all? Lack of group content/interaction.  Just like my main issue with Fallen Earth, it seemed most of the game was solo oriented.  Sure you had your FEW "dungeons" but meh...

So the lack of decent PvP and severe lack of grouping killed it for me, but such is life.  Hopefully the people who are still playing don't get the shaft.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    very sad indeed. it was a beautiful game with great questing and a unique atmosphere to it. i believe it was released at a very bad time, didnt have enough advertising, and was probably too linear of a game to warrant a sub fee.  looks like there is no budging the high fantasy flavor of the mmorpg genre.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    so I didn't have enough time to read it.  Did they change the frequency of the "updates" to bimonthly, quarterly, or yearly?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

More likely is that they sold well to their core audience and retained well from that audience, but failed to penetrate outside that core audience.  

Originally posted by gessekai332
    very sad indeed. it was a beautiful game with great questing and a unique atmosphere to it. i believe it was released at a very bad time, didnt have enough advertising, and was probably too linear of a game to warrant a sub fee.  looks like there is no budging the high fantasy flavor of the mmorpg genre.

It had 4 CGI trailers that is more than TOR, WAR, AOC, GW2 and pretty much any other MMO yet it sold the least copies. Go figgure then if advertasing was problem.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Grotar89
    Originally posted by Piiritus

Dont worry GW2 will soon be your first MMO once TSW shuts down or gets new content every 6 months.

I dounbt that tbh. GW2 is an OK game but no way it can hook me for any longer period. Good for logging in now and then but nothing more for me personally. Also it's too early to bury TSW, only time will tell how things go. I admit that things are not very good though.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    so I didn't have enough time to read it.  Did they change the frequency of the "updates" to bimonthly, quarterly, or yearly?

Nope (or at least not yet), but the second issue that was supposed to come out today was delayed to be released on september 11th (they announced the delay a bit over a week ago), but Ragnar said on twitter that the next update, due around the end of september, isn't delayed and should come out in time.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• grinrgrinr Member Posts: 8
    If the game didn't run like shit on anything but a power rig, I bet it would have doubled that number.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by eric_w66
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by eric_w66
    Makes me sad that a mediocre game like GW2 sells so many copies whereas a game with a story and definitely new and interesting world sells only 200K. GW2 is what, learn 5 skills in a few levels, farm PQ's, rinse, repeat. How is that "fun"? I can see why they don't charge monthly fees, there's nothing there worth paying for beyond the box price (if that).

If you don't know what you are talking about don't talk.

I only play both. Do you?

So you learn 5 skills in a few levels and farm PQs in GW2, there is nothing else to the game? I know you are just hating on the game but at least try to bring some valid arguments so it looks better than just a troll post....

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

Funcom has released its Q2 2012 investors' presentation. The document indicates that The Secret World has sold only 200k units at the time of writing and that the company is reducing costs through layoffs and other money-saving measures. The report also looks to the future with a new focus on "system-focused games with a high degree of community and player interaction".

• Funcom will in the future direct its resources towards smaller, more focused online games.
    • With the proprietary Dreamworld engine the company has some of the best tools and expertise available to build and these games on time and on budget.

Check out the full report on Funcom's site.

Oh....thats a bit annoying....apologies in advance, but i have to take you to task on this (yes, im really this sad, bored and anal when im a bit tipsy and can't sleep :)).

It clearly says MORE THAN 200k, not ONLY 200k. While the intimation (and probably the truth) is the game sold just over 200k, there are no concrete sales figures linked that i can see. The difference is misrepresentation, you turn it from a positive into a negative, likely to exaggerate the situation.

Semantics? Yes, probably, but it's an innacurate, misleading and potentially inflammatory comment. Perhaps you should re-read what your quoting and consider carefully how such an innacuracy can misrepresent the true facts (or lack thereof) before posting it?

I await my latest ban/warning/flame/troll/spanking with anticipation :)

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

Originally posted by Zinzan

Funcom has released its Q2 2012 investors' presentation. The document indicates that The Secret World has sold only 200k units at the time of writing and that the company is reducing costs through layoffs and other money-saving measures. The report also looks to the future with a new focus on "system-focused games with a high degree of community and player interaction".

• Funcom will in the future direct its resources towards smaller, more focused online games.
    • With the proprietary Dreamworld engine the company has some of the best tools and expertise available to build and these games on time and on budget.

Oh....thats a bit annoying....apologies in advance, but i have to take you to task on this (yes, im really this sad, bored and anal when im a bit tipsy and can't sleep :)).

It clearly says MORE THAN 200k, not ONLY 200k. While the intimation (and probably the truth) is the game sold just over 200k, there are no concrete sales figures linked that i can see. The difference is misrepresentation, you turn it from a positive into a negative, likely to exaggerate the situation.

Semantics? Yes, probably, but it's an innacurate, misleading and potentially inflammatory comment. Perhaps you should re-read what your quoting and consider carefully how such an innacuracy can misrepresent the true facts (or lack thereof) before posting it?

More than 200k is just that, 200k

If it sold 301.000, they would have said "over 300k"

-Seinfeld

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by Grotar89

Game sold 200k, it has box price + sub +cash shop if it got enugh money they woudnt be layying off ppl. Subs are probably around 50k at best,

Everytime they release information, the state retention has been high.   They are struggling because box sales didn't offset development cost.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

Great news.

Can't wait that they go down in bankruptcy or get bought out by EA (either option is horrible). This is awesome news for MMOers who actually expect to get what they buy! YAY YAY!

TBH I think even EA wouldn't buy them, their image is already bad enough, maybe PWE, they already got Cryptic so how much worse could it get?

There's nothing I like more than seeing some ego-maniacs getting their come-uppings. Best news in a while right here! YAAAY

Perhaps actually hold true to your word when you're collecting those care-packages, huh?

Extensively lieing to buyers gets your company demolished, that's why I'm so happy.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Zinzan

how is 299,999 any better in the context of a bad story. Yes that number would be better than 200k but if it said that it would still be a negative not a positive.

Im sorry but your call for misleading or potentially inflamatory is just far fetched....but I agree its innacurate, just that.

• DunkareDunkare Member Posts: 33

wow, this is bad. the game is so much fun, im still enjoying it a lot. i just hope they dont shut it down before i got to finish the story at least :P

(yea, im a slow player)

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

Hope they at least fired Silirrion from AoC, because that guy single-handedly ruined that entire game and made a small AO-like "only for true fans" -game. He cost FC much, much more money than those regular garbage coders did, however I bet he still has a job.

I bet they fired people from around him, sent the few community managers there are (in the company)  to answer questions, while that guy is sunning his testicles by the lake. Not to mention they fired THE only community manager who actually had some interaction with the remaining, miserable playerbase, Waldgeist.

Those community managers are doing exactly as bad job as Silirrion has done for 4 years, perhaps one of them will be the lead dev soon?

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I liked TSW but liek others have said I didn't think it was worth a monthly sub + Cash Shop model so did not buy.

I do not think the game sold so low because it was niche,the game had casual appeal to me and the investigation quests whislt fun for me to try and work out personally were easily google-able for compelte solutions for those who didn't want to do so.

IMO the animations though vastly improved were still stiff and had no flow or weight to it.Now individually the animations weren't bad not great and a bit dated but acceptable,but they did not flow well together and never felt like they hit or miss.It didn't bother me much but I can see why peopel who consume first with their eyes didn't like it.This is a shame coz one of th eonyl things AoC got right was it's beautiful animations and refiend character models.

I didn't find TSW's combat deep at all what it was was very,very broad and so gave oyu lots of choices but those choices did add up to doiong mostly the same thing with tiny variations in passives and conditions.It was as good as system as any MMORPG but may of been overwhelming in it's breadth for many.

I think the biggest issue though was Funcom reaping what it sewed,we all pay for our past bad decisions and actions and a company should be no different.

I would personally like to think it failed because of it's box price + sub fee + cash shop but the way the mass consumer market let's itself be milked in other games,genres and markets I feel this was only a tiny contributing factor.

I do not think GW2 had a vastly better marketing budget than TSW the only "advertsing" I've seen anywhere for GW2 is about the saem as TSW had ie trade show showing reports and web site releases that wer eonyl reported on game related sites.They were just better at spreading word of mouth.

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Its a sad world in mmo's when great ones like TSW dont get any sales and and kiddie mmo's with no soul like WoW and GW2 everyone buys. I think this genre in gaming is dying