Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is GW2 the game of the decade?

Comments

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

Now where's that person who was saying that GW2 hype isn't like the hype for other games. That hype for GW2 is "just people really excited to play".

I'd like them to read this OP, and some of the replies, and then retract that statement. Or, you know, spin it in some way to make it sound like it isn't what it actually is.

It's wonderful you like the game a lot, OP. It's great that it does something for you and for many others that other games haven't.

Here's something to consider, though... Many other MMOs do exactly the same thing for many other players. All those things that you listed sound cool and they certainly seem to be major things to you.. To me, it read like a neat list of things GW2 does. I don't consider any of them to be "omg must play" features, or things that would push me over the line to buying and playing it. In fact, some of them seem to indicate that perhaps you simply aren't wired for traditional MMOs. Some of the things you seem to feel are major issues in other MMOs don't even register on my personal radar in terms of "dubious mechanics". I suspect that's because what you want out of an MMO experience, and what I expect, are totally different. And that's fine. That's quite normal.

Some of them are things I've seen in other "traditional MMOs", as well. Just one example, not having to delete items out of your inventory to make room for quest items is a detail I've seen in other MMOs that have been out for almost a decade.

Also bear in mind, there are people who have very little to no interest in GW2. Some have played in the Beta weekends and decided "nope, not for me". Others have been disinterested merely by the information they've seen coming out about it. I fall into the former category. I gave it a try and, while it's a pretty game with great design and interesting concepts, it just doesn't move me to the point of wanting to play it full time.

A friend of mine keeps spamming my PMs in FaceBook trying to sell me on how GW2 is "The One Game To Rule Them All". Only it isn't. Just like TOR wasn't. Just like any other MMO that was hyped as being "THE MMO" wasn't.

GW2 will find its niche among the genre, just like every other MMO does. It's great that you enjoy the game and I sincerely hope you get years of enjoyment out of it.

But you really should try to reign in the hype, and the hyperbole, a bit.

It's a game. It's not the second coming.

Is it "The MMO of The Decade"? For some it will be. For others it won't. Just like any other MMO.

Seriously  mate, he loves the game and that's his opinion. Why criticise his view like he's not entitled to it, telling him to reign it in etc? He loves it so why should he?

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654

Game of the decade: No - Skyrim holds that honour at present (IMO), but they is still a lot of year's to go for Skyrim to get dethroned.

MMO of the decade:  The game has only been released a few days.  At present I would not compare it with any MMO released in the last couple of years.  I need a few more weeks of play before I decide if GW2 is any good or not.

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by semantikron
    Clearly the best game ever made, by quite a wide margin.  It doesnt do EVERYTHING better than EVERY other game ever made, which is a distinction that some people can't make.  But it is far and away superior to any game ever made for any platform ever.  period.

And its missing some core functionality that makes it less than perfect for some people, therefore it is not the best game ever made in their views.

In my case, EVE will win out regardless, unless GW2 undergoes some radical design shifts that will never happen.

Trouble with Eve, if you are not in well before now, you can't hope to achieve much as the big corps won't trust you with anything, you'll just be working for someone. That's what it is too. Makes me laugh in the past to see a corp looking for miners - seriously, people joining a corp to work, to pay for their subscription, to work.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    The Witcher 2 has so far been the best overall game that I have played in this decade, but we are only at 2012.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    lol right now can't even log-in into this so called game of the decade
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    It seems odd that you didn't even mention what I would consider the most revolutonary thing they said goodbye to: The holy trinity. Imagine if GW2 had tanks, healers and dps. IMHO the rest of your goodbye list means very little compared to holy trinity gameplay.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689

I actually wish games would go back to the older style. Games are becoming to, handheld for my liking. GW2 is only making games easier to get things done by not forcing you to group for anything, because you don t need to group at all, outside some dungeons. I hate the way games are going, and really want a game where if you re an asshat, you may as well switch servers, because you re not going to get any help at all.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

game of the decade plus a year imo.

to each, their own :)

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by Deto123

I hate the way games are going, and really want a game where if you re an asshat, you may as well switch servers, because you re not going to get any help at all.

It never worked that way, though. Instead, you have to group up with random people, and THEN you discover they are a*hats.

Originally posted by Naevius
    Originally posted by Deto123

I hate the way games are going, and really want a game where if you re an asshat, you may as well switch servers, because you re not going to get any help at all.

It never worked that way, though. Instead, you have to group up with random people, and THEN you discover they are a*hats.

Well ya, but they were blacklisted, and never invited again. Anyways, it feels like I m logging into a plastic world. If you ask me to describe that I can t, it s the only wod I can think of to describe how I feel. If this is the game of the decade, which I really don t think so, we re in alot of trouble as far as MMO games go. It really isn t doing anything at all new, just hiding some of the old tiresome things from WoW on. The holy trinity thing is here nor there as I like both systems. It really does come down to a buch of warhammers PQs all over the place, and to me becomes boring as hell fast. Yes theres other things to do, but those are motly standard fare. I guess if you could add another to the themepark/sandbox, I would call GW2 the carnival of MMOs. Fun in spirts, but repetitive as hell fast. You can only pop ballons with a dart so long.

• crewthiefcrewthief Member Posts: 235
    It is for me.

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Best game i've played in 18 years of gaming.

Now all the trolls will have to cry themselves to sleep. The game is good.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    It looks to be a good game, but game of the decade, thats just silly, there are better games out there after all, pretty sure im playing one of them, but if you mean F2P game of the decade.. well thats a possibility image
  • BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410
    Originally posted by Bhorzo

Sounds a bit... premature.

Didn't the game just officially launch... today?

Shhh dont let the manic depressives not have thier high today, tommorow theyll be posting it sucks.  

• crewthiefcrewthief Member Posts: 235
    Originally posted by Phry
    It looks to be a good game, but game of the decade, thats just silly, there are better games out there after all, pretty sure im playing one of them, but if you mean F2P game of the decade.. well thats a possibility image

Eve is a solid game, that's for sure. I tried it, and it wasn't my cup of tea...but an excellent game nonetheless. I think this question is purely a matter of personal preference.

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server

Originally posted by BullseyeArc1
    Originally posted by Bhorzo

Sounds a bit... premature.

Didn't the game just officially launch... today?

Shhh dont let the manic depressives not have thier high today, tommorow theyll be posting it sucks.  

Or shortly after, yes this is true.

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by Phry

I literally lol'd when I saw this thread. Hyperbole table for two.............

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Would be fun to find people talking about ¨gw2 game of the decade¨ in just 1 month.  Is still the honeymoon stage, fanboys cant see the truth state of the game yet. 
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    MMO of the decade, sure.. game of the decade?  Hell no :p

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by maji
    No it's not. While it's a good and fun game, it's offers nothing really new. It's a solid and good but also generic theme park MMORPG. A game of the decade has to be more than just "solid".

This.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by StarI
    lol right now can't even log-in into this so called game of the decade

I just bought the so called game of the decade @ Best Buy.

I told my coworkers I finally picked it up due to their peer pressure, so hopefully I have some fun with them in game.

However, if I don't enjoy the game, at least I stimulated the economy with my purchase.

• xx19kilosoldxx19kilosold Member Posts: 209

This isnt even the best MMO in the genre in the last decade let alone the best game.

Fanbois gonna fanboi

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629
    No it's not. While it's a good and fun game, it's offers nothing really new. It's a solid and good but also generic theme park MMORPG. A game of the decade has to be more than just "solid"

Well said. Been in beta, it's nothing more than solid.

While it's good to see people enjoying themselves in something other than WoW, I will keep waiting for the REAL Game of the Decade, which may or may not be (having really high hopes though) - ArcheAge.

• zballzerozballzero Member Posts: 1
    Amazing game but it just came out.  I rember starting WOW back in 2004 the game was half the size of GW2 but it was also amazing at its time.  The depth and scope and story telling have me beleving this is somthing specal.  I have played Aion SWG and many other MMO"S but this one feals different.  It seems like the guys nwho made it realey know what they are doing and are MMO fans as well.
  • ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by immodium
    No it's not. While it's a good and fun game, it's offers nothing really new. It's a solid and good but also generic theme park MMORPG. A game of the decade has to be more than just "solid".

This

I agree with this too.