Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World sales at 200,000; Funcom focused on the future

Comments

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    You beat me to it Kuppa. Damm you! image
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

image<- victory dance lol

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

image<- victory dance lol

And you already posted about GW2 too?

Next time, my friend, next time, victory shall be mine. *shakes fist in anger*

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Thank you for posting this.  I am really enjoying the game and a bit disappointed at the sales figures.  I have been waiting for this information to be realeased so thank you for posting it!
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Not really surprised. They didn't seem to make much effort to hype or market this game so what did they expect? 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

It was handled badly, I like the game but come on, rushing it out the door just a month ahead of GW2... that is just not smart. Had they waited and launched with a fully working game (bank, chat, quest bugs sorted) in just a few months after people got bored again with GW2 and the WoW expansion,  then they could have launched a decent niche game. 200k subs ain't going to set any records BUT that is still a quarter million in subs each month. Eve Online started way smaller and has been doing very well with it.

For the matter "The Longest Journey" was a sleep hit as well. But no, they bet the company on a rush job and lost out. 200k is really bad in this light, SWTOR style bad. And Funcom doesn't have several other mega projects that can compensate for any losses.

The game really deserved better, especially considering the gushing reviews GW2 is getting for a messy launch, crashing servers, constant shutdown, login issues denying people access for hours on end in Europe and A FUCKING MISSING BANK (Is it so hard to write? AoC didn't have it, TSW didn't have it and now GW2 too).

Ah well. Will see how long TSW lasts, don't regret buying it but this is the last change I have given Funcom, they employ some decent designers (who need better coding skills) but their business management sucks.

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

How is 200k subs not great?

I get sick of these "it must beat wow and cause blizzard to go out of business or its a failure" types...

200k is a good starting point...now they need to add more endgame stuff and more maps and grow that 200k

This is one of the few themeparks that actually insterests me, and as soon as i get a shiney new computer (soon) this will probably be my first themepark install on that system..possibly my only.

Also, just something ive noticed, a whole lot of GW2 players seem to be very focused on this game, perhaps once they grow tired of it youll see more of a sub pick up?  Not sure if its just people trying to stomp out percieved competition or whatnot...seems to be the style of posters on this site.  I mean i do recognize the OP as a valient defender of GW2 and am a little surprised to see the negative thread here on a game that has nothing to do with the one he plays...eventhough i dont think his "ah ha" negative info is actually negative at all...i think 200k is a great starting point for a new niche game with a touch of sandbox in it.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Theres already an "official" post about this. Can we get a mod to lock this one, thanks.

• dumbo11dumbo11 Member Posts: 134
    Originally posted by redman875

~200k *sales*.  Based on their projections, subs are likely 50-100k - which is not what anyone expected.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

I get sick of these "it must beat wow and cause blizzard to go out of business or its a failure" types...

It's not great because it's under Funcom's expectations. Their predictions were about selling more than half a million copies, so selling only 200K is most likely very bad from a financial standpoint. That means this game will get less funding. That means fewer updates. That means fewer players. That means less funding. Et cetera. Having too few subs relatively to their budget is how MMOs die.

Also, just something ive noticed, a whole lot of GW2 players seem to be very focused on this game, perhaps once they grow tired of it youll see more of a sub pick up? 

Yeah, I'm probably going to pick this up in a few months to play through the story, after I've played GW2 so much I don't feel like playing it every day. GW2's B2P model makes playing a second MMO quite easy. Still, even if people stop playing GW2 for one reason or another, there's no guarantee they'll switch to TSW.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Wow that sounds low, considering AoC sold like 750k copies in the first one or two months. I guess people learn as I personally did not buy this game because of the lacklustre experience I had in AoC.
  • fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    In typical Funcom fashion they are laying the blame at the door of NCSoft and Blizzard, for annoucing when they did.
  • grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by fallenlords
    In typical Funcom fashion they are laying the blame at the door of NCSoft and Blizzard, for annoucing when they did.

GW2 and MoP would have impacted sales a lot.  Just need to look at the number of people who said they held of purchasing, simply because GW2's launch was so near.

A wise move would have been to pushed TSW's launch back to (late) October.  Which would have drawn people, after the hype of the other two.   It would also have had its raid by then.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Wow that sounds low, considering AoC sold like 750k copies in the first one or two months. I guess people learn as I personally did not buy this game because of the lacklustre experience I had in AoC.

Yeah, AoC lost more subs in the first couple of month than TSW sold boxes. Not good news for FC.

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by grapevine

GW2 and MoP would have impacted sales a lot.  Just need to look at the number of people who said they held of purchasing, simply because GW2's launch was so near.

A wise move would have been to pushed TSW's launch back to (late) October.  Which would have drawn people, after the hype of the other two.   It would also have had its raid by then.

The genre difference is too great, I don't think TSW is going to pick up random players from Guild Wars 2 or WoW.  There is no correlation to that, much more likely Guild War2 will pickup players from WoW and vice versa.  Mainly because of the genre similarities.   Nobody with any sense is going to go near TSW until Funcom as a company stablises, share price dropped again. 

Debatable now if you can even class TSW an MMO, with only 200K sales. Who is going to invest in Funcom now they have the reputation for making 'niche' small scale MMO games. Fair enough their have their self glorified proprietary game engine, but only they use it so that's a bit of moot point.   All in all they might be positive about the future, but I am not so sure anybody else associated with them is positive.
  • DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Don't know what they can do but I hope they figure out something. I was looking forward to getting back into this game in a few months. Definately could of used more time in the oven but the company isn't doing so well so that might not have been a viable option. 
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    considering its a horror mmo.i think 200k+ is pretty good.only problem with that is retention.have to say though i,m having a blast playing this game though.i think its brilliant and something completely different.so much so i laid out £160 for a lifetime sub.just like gw2 i,m in no rush to reach end game.
  • KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

It's not 200k subs, it's 200k sales.  Even with 60% retention (which would be on the high end) that's 120k subs.  It's most likely a bit lower than that, but what exactly it is, we don't know, but we do know it isn't 200k (no game has a 100% retention rate, and many people have admitted on forums that they are leaving, or have left, TSO already).  It's a disaster scenario for Funcom, unfortunately, in terms of what they budgeted for the game and targeted for it.  It's a fun game, and its fans will always love it, but as an AAA MMO from the financial perspective it's clearly a disaster.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's a shame, it a much better game than Aoc.

The pvp is a unimaginative wow style gear grind, but the pve is really good, its a good game for a pure pveer.

Sadly I have finished the "leveling" content and am no going gw2 as there is nothing to do in tsw as a pvp guild. But if I was more of a dungeon person there's plenty to do with dungeons, lairs, summonable area & region bosses.

Pvpers apart I don't think retention is the problem, its initial box sales. I don't blame blizzard and arenanet for that though, I blame funcom (for bug ridden Aoc) and bioware (for swtor frightening people off any mmo with a story element)

Gw2 gets the mmo and pvp right
    Tsw gets the rpg and pve right

If some future dev could mashup both games and go for an original setting like say steampunk, would be an awesome mmo.
  • BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410
    Originally posted by Knightblast

It's not 200k subs, it's 200k sales.  Even with 60% retention (which would be on the high end) that's 120k subs.  It's most likely a bit lower than that, but what exactly it is, we don't know, but we do know it isn't 200k (no game has a 100% retention rate, and many people have admitted on forums that they are leaving, or have left, TSO already).  It's a disaster scenario for Funcom, unfortunately, in terms of what they budgeted for the game and targeted for it.  It's a fun game, and its fans will always love it, but as an AAA MMO from the financial perspective it's clearly a disaster.

Servers are cheap these days, with virtual servers thier cutting costs they only use what they need.   And I think I read they already fired most of the people on the game.    What I see is them milking the remaining playerbase with item malls and subs.     Funcom is just making a cash grab I doubt they had any idea that people would actually like the game.  

• kol56kol56 Member Posts: 124

200k sales? wow.... that's terrible, even Tera sold more.

The game must have around 50-100k subs... just wait a couple of months.... 30k subs?

It's a complete disaster, i wouldn't be surprised if Funcom goes bankrupt.

"Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge."

"The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy"
    -Seinfeld

• braamerbraamer Member UncommonPosts: 88

I'm interested in this game, having played in a couple of the beta weekends and the 1 month celebration weekend. The reason I have not purchased the game yet is because I was really put off by the money grab by Funcom. $50 for the client, $15/month subscription, AND an item store.

Plus the bitter taste that lingers from Age of Conan...

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430
    Originally posted by braamer

I'm interested in this game, having played in a couple of the beta weekends and the 1 month celebration weekend. The reason I have not purchased the game yet is because I was really put off by the money grab by Funcom. $50 for the client, $15/month subscription, AND an item store.

where did you get on the Beta weekends?

• braamerbraamer Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Originally posted by rpgalon

What do you mean?

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430
    Originally posted by rpgalon

What do you mean?

how far into the game did you get?

(mah english sux balls)