Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Worth the Wait

2

Comments

  • ZyllosZyllos Oklahoma City, OKPosts: 537Member Uncommon

    ArenaNet is done an outstanding job. The game feels good, the weapon/utility/elite skills and traits with standardized Boons/Conditions (I think Magic: The Gathering keywords here), and amazing delivery system of dynamic events and personal story, this game could be a major success. But that still remains to be seen, there is the almighty 1st month that every MMO experiences. Of course, this game does not have a subscription so this might be harder to quantify.

    Also, I see some potential staying power in how the developers took the time to create tools to add/modify DEs to their world. And I only see future zones containing entire zone wide DEs for pushing/pulling various events.

    About the posts about WvWvW, the only thing I can say is they will continue to refine their efforts. I did not participate in the Closed Beta and unaware of their current and future design plans but I can easily see ArenaNet making small/large changes to fix the issues plaguing it.

    MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

  • evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by Ikeda
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

    I don't understand how this game is worth the wait when someone has maxed a character already?  That really irks me that a new MMO allows such fast progression.  Tells me the developers did not do their homework and made the game far too easy.

    Seriously?

    You OBVIOUSLY didn't read HOW he did it.  His guild funnelled ALL THEIR MATS to him for a majority of crafting.

    The game lets you level via PvP, PvE, Crafting.  Oh the developers don't care.. blah blah blah.

    Broken records.  Not your game, fine, move on.  But seriously when you have NO IDEA what you're talking about, spouting off gibberish makes you look like a troll.

    Gibberish?  I played the Beta, did not say the game was not fun, just that it has huge design issues.  Makes no difference how the character was leveled, you can bet non crafting characters will be maxed within the week too.  I noticed this in beta play how extremely easy it is to level and there is very little challenge.  It is not that different than SWTOR except that there is no sub, little thought has been put into the longevity of the game.   I also have found nothing really innovative about it.  Sure they have mechanisms that work differently, but they are just reworked from past games.

    Even Wow, when it was released, took people months to max level a character.   Why have all the developers abandoned any sort of challenge?

    Leveling is never a challenge in any MMO, it is purely a time sink and ANet know this, so they provided lots of options to level at a reasonable place. Yes this can be exploited by funneling lots of resources and crafting. But to what end? You certainly dont win the game by being level 80. The game is about exploring and being part of the world. The challenges lie in dungeon exploration modes and PvP, not the challenge of not falling asleep on your way up to max level.

    Most casual gamers wont reach level 80 in their first month, hard core players will always level much much faster than anyone else and you simply cannot cater to them.

     
  • TymorisTymoris AthensPosts: 360Member

    I am particulary happy with guild wars 2 since I can finally play a proper engineer:) 

    Missed playing one since WAR :P

    image
  • vort3xvort3x Jebem vam materPosts: 129Member
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by Ikeda
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

    I don't understand how this game is worth the wait when someone has maxed a character already?  That really irks me that a new MMO allows such fast progression.  Tells me the developers did not do their homework and made the game far too easy.

    Seriously?

    You OBVIOUSLY didn't read HOW he did it.  His guild funnelled ALL THEIR MATS to him for a majority of crafting.

    The game lets you level via PvP, PvE, Crafting.  Oh the developers don't care.. blah blah blah.

    Broken records.  Not your game, fine, move on.  But seriously when you have NO IDEA what you're talking about, spouting off gibberish makes you look like a troll.

    Gibberish?  I played the Beta, did not say the game was not fun, just that it has huge design issues.  Makes no difference how the character was leveled, you can bet non crafting characters will be maxed within the week too.  I noticed this in beta play how extremely easy it is to level and there is very little challenge.  It is not that different than SWTOR except that there is no sub, little thought has been put into the longevity of the game.   I also have found nothing really innovative about it.  Sure they have mechanisms that work differently, but they are just reworked from past games.

    Even Wow, when it was released, took people months to max level a character.   Why have all the developers abandoned any sort of challenge?

     

    People that claim that "no thought has been put into logevity of the game" and that the game will die in couple of months should consider the fact, that GW1 despite being 6 years old still lives today. Max level there was 20 and there wasn't half as many things to do as there is in GW2. It lives mostly because of the best PvP there ever was in such type of games and good elite dungeons. Things won't be any different in GW2. There is enough to do in this game UNLESS you really have no intention of touching the pvp along with your friends. But in that case i really don't know why would you even buy this game. On top of that, if Anet continues their old habit with GW1, they will be bringing tons of new content alteast once every year...

    So yeah if you ask me, the game will live a long life. And so far most of the criticizm that i read on this forum was pretty obviously from people that didn't even take the time to look at the game carefully, see what it offers,... Those that didn't like the PvP were all just so obviously owned in random 8v8, they took no time whatsoever to try to understand how pvp works, make their own build that makes sense and learn to play it. Seriously I don't understand people that decide the game is either good OR bad just after playing for a few hours. Most of them just miss a whole bunch of stuff, make stupid conlcusions and stop playing. A logical conclusion from that to me is, that those kind of people like simple shallow games, that throw everything they have at you from the getgo.

    I decide if the game is good or not once I know everything there is to know about it. After a couple of months...

     

  • SaydienSaydien StuttgartPosts: 266Member

    It's ok but nothing positively outstanding. Many events especially at the start are a real pain being stuck in the locust swarms of players. The story missions are dead boring compared to SW:ToR.

    I doubt this game will be even close to being as successful as many seem to think. Especially if ArenaNet won't finally get their act together. While some people had barely any issues others seemed to crash unable to log in for hours more than once.

    My biggest annoyance was the overflow instance stuff when trying to get into the same zone with my guild for some Roleplay. Of course the map on our home server was full so we get stuffed on overflow servers. Sadly I had to realize that despite zoning at the same time it can happen that your group gets spread on different overflow servers. This stuff really has to go.

  • tomwoditomwodi FlorianPosts: 49Member
    Ozmodan,

    You think this game will gail coize it is "easy" to max level/hit the cap.
    Dude, this game is NOT about leveling. The concept is new and inovative.
    Even when you hit 80, your level will down when you go to a low level area. Even whenyou hit 80, there will be chalenge, wherever you go.
    This game is about exploration at most (in my opinion).
    There is tons of thinls to do, to explore, to discover and it will be chalenge... No boring combat, you must dodge, move, think...
    After complete every single think in queensdale (human initial area), i was in lvl 14. Then i move tothe norn Initial area, and even the lvl 2 quests there was ie to do, couze my lvl was reduced to 4...
    So, dont talk about hit cap level, it means nothing. Understand the new concept, balanced pvp where everyone has the same itens, level and posibilities... No grind, no rush and no subscription model...

    And sory for the bad english/gramar, not my first language and im in a mobile...
  • orbitxoorbitxo fort lauderdale, FLPosts: 1,405Member Uncommon
    this is the mmo of the year!!! hands down!!!
  • FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,565Member Uncommon

    I can appreciate a well made game, and GW2 is definitely very well made. Its just too bad this is what the mainstream considers a well made mmorpg. Glad so many people are having fun. But its pretty much the exact opposite of what I look for in an mmorpg these days.

  • TwystedWizTwystedWiz Northwest, WAPosts: 172Member
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
     

    Even Wow, when it was released, took people months to max level a character. 

     

    No, it didn't.  The race to cap lasted less than a week on Tich...

  • Mariner-80Mariner-80 Winchester, VAPosts: 347Member

    GW2 is fun. I like it. It'll do.

     

    But I would have preferred a brand new campaign for GW1, frankly, as I liked the general format of the earlier game better. Having played GW2 for a few days now, I can still say I liked the format of GW1 better.

     

    I have never played SWG, but I'm starting to understand the disappointment expressed by SWG players when they tried out SWTOR: two games with the same IP, but nevertheless totally different games.

  • Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 DublinPosts: 971Member

    WTB overflow login server for the EU.

    Apart from that  - thumbs up!

  • arcwestarcwest lubbock, TXPosts: 61Member
    this game is ruining my life fast.. i've called in sick to work twice since early access launched.
  • benit59benit59 Canton, GAPosts: 114Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by Ikeda
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

    I don't understand how this game is worth the wait when someone has maxed a character already?  That really irks me that a new MMO allows such fast progression.  Tells me the developers did not do their homework and made the game far too easy.

    Seriously?

    You OBVIOUSLY didn't read HOW he did it.  His guild funnelled ALL THEIR MATS to him for a majority of crafting.

    The game lets you level via PvP, PvE, Crafting.  Oh the developers don't care.. blah blah blah.

    Broken records.  Not your game, fine, move on.  But seriously when you have NO IDEA what you're talking about, spouting off gibberish makes you look like a troll.

    Gibberish?  I played the Beta, did not say the game was not fun, just that it has huge design issues.  Makes no difference how the character was leveled, you can bet non crafting characters will be maxed within the week too.  I noticed this in beta play how extremely easy it is to level and there is very little challenge.  It is not that different than SWTOR except that there is no sub, little thought has been put into the longevity of the game.   I also have found nothing really innovative about it.  Sure they have mechanisms that work differently, but they are just reworked from past games.

    Even Wow, when it was released, took people months to max level a character.   Why have all the developers abandoned any sort of challenge?

    I don't understand what leveling has to do with being challenging. I have never played an MMO where leveling was challenging. I have played MMO's that have ridiculous leveling curves and lots of ridiculous grinding before. Is that what you mean by challenge...these games give you a challenge of trying to stay in front of the screen doing the same thing over and over to make a bar go up.

    I will say that this is the first MMO I have played where I really didnt care about leveling. Anet didn't set the game up where you have to prove your dedication before you get to do something interesting in the game. If there is a problem with this game, it's that there is too much stuff to do.

    Getting to level 80 so quickly is of little consequence. It's fun for the people involved to say they did it, but has absolutely no effect on the game or other players.

  • Shana77Shana77 UtrechtPosts: 207Member
    As a fan of all forms of online gaming since the 90-ies I can safely say that this is the best game I ever played. 
  • ZeGermanZeGerman Andover, MAPosts: 196Member
    Originally posted by Thillian
    Originally posted by ZeGerman
    Originally posted by Thillian
    Originally posted by ZeGerman
    Originally posted by Thillian
    Not disappointed, because I didn't expect much. The game is average on every respect.

    [mod edit] As engineer myself i have to completely agree with this aricle.  And from a purely technical and design perspective this game is the most incredible feat in the last decade of gaming.  The level of inovation this game has brought to the gaming world will forever change it regardless of whether the game ends up as  just a game or becomes a dynasty.

     

    People like you have no idea what innovation means. You in theory want innovation, but in practice, you want to play the same old crap. Guild wars 2 is exactly that. It's same old while pretending to be innovative. 

    Dynamic events are not innovative, nor map exploration, nor zerg-festing PvP. Apart from that the only really "innovative" thing I can think of is that the game has no mounts.

    In fact GW2 is as old in its design as its server technology, in an age where single-server tech exists, we still have to cope with queuing, 8k limit servers and Overflow crap.

     

    [mod edit] The choice to implement queuing and overflow has nothing to do with the server technology but is a biproduct of the state of PC's and bandwidth.  If they allowed as many people as wanted to be on a single server on that single instance of the game then the average user would have unbarable lag due to to many particle effects, the other reaason is if you put to many people on the same map the experience is less enjoyable.  it simply become too crowded.  And i personally feel that the overflow is an innovative way to remove queues.

    Do you think the iPhone was inventive cause most people do even though they took alot of what they did from other sources.  The main difference between the iPhone and its predecessors was they put everything together in a way that was simple and actualy worked and for that they deserve all the praise they are given.  ANet really isnt any different.

    This is typical, you think something in GW2 is innovative, and you have no idea that it was used fairly often before. Overflow servers were used for the first time 10 years ago already in a MMORPG. Nothing innovative about it.

    In fact, there are server technologies that would allow all players to be on the same server, technically, while multiplying itself whenever a cap of the zone is reached.

     

    No point in this argument. because you just described exactly what an overflow is.  Its a server multiplying itself when it reaches a cap.  The only reason GW2 has servers at is for WvWvW otherwise it would all be overflow instances to have the most possible people. 

    I hate MMOs but as  a web engineer i marvel at this game im sorry if you dont like it for your personal reasons but you can't deny it for what it is.

     

    Edit: Correction i hate  allmost all MMORPG's not all MMO's

     
  • ZeGermanZeGerman Andover, MAPosts: 196Member
    Originally posted by benit59
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by Ikeda
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

    I don't understand how this game is worth the wait when someone has maxed a character already?  That really irks me that a new MMO allows such fast progression.  Tells me the developers did not do their homework and made the game far too easy.

    Seriously?

    You OBVIOUSLY didn't read HOW he did it.  His guild funnelled ALL THEIR MATS to him for a majority of crafting.

    The game lets you level via PvP, PvE, Crafting.  Oh the developers don't care.. blah blah blah.

    Broken records.  Not your game, fine, move on.  But seriously when you have NO IDEA what you're talking about, spouting off gibberish makes you look like a troll.

    Gibberish?  I played the Beta, did not say the game was not fun, just that it has huge design issues.  Makes no difference how the character was leveled, you can bet non crafting characters will be maxed within the week too.  I noticed this in beta play how extremely easy it is to level and there is very little challenge.  It is not that different than SWTOR except that there is no sub, little thought has been put into the longevity of the game.   I also have found nothing really innovative about it.  Sure they have mechanisms that work differently, but they are just reworked from past games.

    Even Wow, when it was released, took people months to max level a character.   Why have all the developers abandoned any sort of challenge?

    I don't understand what leveling has to do with being challenging. I have never played an MMO where leveling was challenging. I have played MMO's that have ridiculous leveling curves and lots of ridiculous grinding before. Is that what you mean by challenge...these games give you a challenge of trying to stay in front of the screen doing the same thing over and over to make a bar go up.

    I will say that this is the first MMO I have played where I really didnt care about leveling. Anet didn't set the game up where you have to prove your dedication before you get to do something interesting in the game. If there is a problem with this game, it's that there is too much stuff to do.

    Getting to level 80 so quickly is of little consequence. It's fun for the people involved to say they did it, but has absolutely no effect on the game or other players.

     

    I dont get this if i played a game for 43 consecutive hours without stopping and wasnt atleast a very high level i would quit the game.  GW2 isnt about leveling anyways its about content and exploration he didnt explore and complete the entire map in 40 hours.  And if he goes back to do that stuff hell be deleveled to its level so i dont see a problem here.

  • SunrootSunroot Portland, ORPosts: 33Member
    I think GW2 takes all the best parts of MMO's and streamlines them. It's not the most innovative game ever but it is incredibly polished and fun.
  • KyngBillsKyngBills Charlotte, NCPosts: 449Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Saydien

    It's ok but nothing positively outstanding. Many events especially at the start are a real pain being stuck in the locust swarms of players. The story missions are dead boring compared to SW:ToR.

    I doubt this game will be even close to being as successful as many seem to think. Especially if ArenaNet won't finally get their act together. While some people had barely any issues others seemed to crash unable to log in for hours more than once.

    My biggest annoyance was the overflow instance stuff when trying to get into the same zone with my guild for some Roleplay. Of course the map on our home server was full so we get stuffed on overflow servers. Sadly I had to realize that despite zoning at the same time it can happen that your group gets spread on different overflow servers. This stuff really has to go.

     

    Agree with all points...But especially the highlighted...This is a good Game for what it is...With one monster bug currently that better get fixed fast...But even still I don't see this being much more than a temporary distraction in the long-range scheme of things...For me it's missing something...And I can't put my finger on it necessarily...I just find myself thinking about other MMO's I like more, even while I'm playing GW2...I can't see any way this Game is going to keep my attention past 10/15 and Rohan...But we'll see...image

  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Brooklyn, NYPosts: 1,164Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Thillian
    Originally posted by ZeGerman
    Originally posted by Thillian
    Not disappointed, because I didn't expect much. The game is average on every respect.

    [mod edit] As engineer myself i have to completely agree with this aricle.  And from a purely technical and design perspective this game is the most incredible feat in the last decade of gaming.  The level of inovation this game has brought to the gaming world will forever change it regardless of whether the game ends up as  just a game or becomes a dynasty.

     

    People like you have no idea what innovation means. You in theory want innovation, but in practice, you want to play the same old crap. Guild wars 2 is exactly that. It's same old while pretending to be innovative. 

    Dynamic events are not innovative, nor map exploration, nor zerg-festing PvP. Apart from that the only really "innovative" thing I can think of is that the game has no mounts.

    In fact GW2 is as old in its design as its server technology, in an age where single-server tech exists, we still have to cope with queuing, 8k limit servers and Overflow crap.

    Why dont you define for us what innovation means since we seem to have no idea by your standards. I would be interested in your response.  If you change the core mechanics (which is what you are really mentioning above) you no longer have an RPG which this is inside and out. The innovation is in the EXECUTION of those mechanics which changes dated aspects not worth mentioning here since you dont see them as innovative.

    Back to topic... Game is amazing and is a joy to play. You can feel the love and commitment that ANet put into this product, and I for one appreciate it.  Ill be in Tyria for awhile and like the other commenter I can still try out FF XIV and not worry about double subs.

    image
  • SlampigSlampig Chantilly, VAPosts: 2,376Member Uncommon

    I totally do not think it was worth the wait. Then again I might be one of the few people on this site that did not drink the Kool-Aid. In my eyes this game has not brought anything new and revolutionary to the table, it just dressed what we already know in some fancy duds. 

     

    That's fine, I still play, just call it what it is...

    That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

  • krinamankrinaman Ellwood City, PAPosts: 21Member

    The most disappointing game I played in a long while.

    I tried to come up with good features to tell my gamers friends about and really couldn't come up with much

    - Resource nodes can't be ninja looted is frankly awesome (yeah, thats the best I could come up with)

    - Events are cool but get old fast

    And that's about it. From there it starts going down hill fast

    - Combat is slow, tedious, and dreadfully boring

    - Crafting even at the first level seems to be a grind fest

    - No bank space and bajillion different craft items

    - Graphics are meh

    - Story line is meh

    - I'm kind of split on the area quest thing. It basic ends up being kill/gather/click 10 x with no story but even there was a story we wouldn't read it any how. So I guess it cuts to the chase.

    And then hits rock bottom

    - It quickly starts to feel like an eastern grinder F2P

    - Then you quickly realize it is a F2P that you paid $79.99 for

    - Find a chest. Oh you need a special key for that. Swipe your card please.

    - Oh, you only have 10 spaces in your bank. Swipe your card please.

    - Those free gifts you got. Oh yeah, they only last a few days. Swipe your card please.

    - Oh, tired of the grindfest we call crafting. Swipe your card please.

    - Tired of grinding mobs. Swipe your card please.

    - Want better drops. Swipe your card please.

    What a waste of time and money....

     

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

    Even Wow, when it was released, took people months to max level a character.   Why have all the developers abandoned any sort of challenge?

    in 2004, i was 60 in the first 3 weeks of WOW launch and there were many others that did it sooner

    compared to EQ2 leveling, WOW was 3x as fast when it released

  • IndromeIndrome NortheimPosts: 292Member
    Originally posted by krinaman

    The most disappointing game I played in a long while. I tried to come up with good features to tell my gamers friends about and really couldn't come up with much- Resource nodes can't be ninja looted is frankly awesome (yeah, thats the best I could come up with)- Events are cool but get old fast

    And that's about it. From there it starts going down hill fast- Combat is slow, tedious, and dreadfully boring- Crafting even at the first level seems to be a grind fest- No bank space and bajillion different craft items- Graphics are meh- Story line is meh- I'm kind of split on the area quest thing. It basic ends up being kill/gather/click 10 x with no story but even there was a story we wouldn't read it any how. So I guess it cuts to the chase.

    And then hits rock bottom- It quickly starts to feel like an eastern grinder F2P- Then you quickly realize it is a F2P that you paid $79.99 for- Find a chest. Oh you need a special key for that. Swipe your card please.- Oh, you only have 10 spaces in your bank. Swipe your card please.- Those free gifts you got. Oh yeah, they only last a few days. Swipe your card please.- Oh, tired of the grindfest we call crafting. Swipe your card please.- Tired of grinding mobs. Swipe your card please.- Want better drops. Swipe your card please.

    What a waste of time and money....

    This dropped my jaw.

    This MMO is wasted on people like you. Just, please, don't fill too many people's heads with your shallow-mindedness about a game in which you clearly haven't given a single feature any thought at all.

    image

  • krinamankrinaman Ellwood City, PAPosts: 21Member
    Originally posted by Indrome
    Originally posted by krinaman

    The most disappointing game I played in a long while. I tried to come up with good features to tell my gamers friends about and really couldn't come up with much- Resource nodes can't be ninja looted is frankly awesome (yeah, thats the best I could come up with)- Events are cool but get old fast

    And that's about it. From there it starts going down hill fast- Combat is slow, tedious, and dreadfully boring- Crafting even at the first level seems to be a grind fest- No bank space and bajillion different craft items- Graphics are meh- Story line is meh- I'm kind of split on the area quest thing. It basic ends up being kill/gather/click 10 x with no story but even there was a story we wouldn't read it any how. So I guess it cuts to the chase.

    And then hits rock bottom- It quickly starts to feel like an eastern grinder F2P- Then you quickly realize it is a F2P that you paid $79.99 for- Find a chest. Oh you need a special key for that. Swipe your card please.- Oh, you only have 10 spaces in your bank. Swipe your card please.- Those free gifts you got. Oh yeah, they only last a few days. Swipe your card please.- Oh, tired of the grindfest we call crafting. Swipe your card please.- Tired of grinding mobs. Swipe your card please.- Want better drops. Swipe your card please.

    What a waste of time and money....

    This dropped my jaw.

    This MMO is wasted on people like you. Just, please, don't fill too many people's heads with your shallow-mindedness about a game in which you clearly haven't given a single feature any thought at all.

     You are entitled to your opinion, I am entitled to mine.

    That's the cool thing about these sites. You get opinions from all kinds of different people.

    If you like the game, great.

    I think it's dreadful.

    Insulting me, isn't going to change my opinion.

     

     

  • MasoniclightMasoniclight Couer d''Alene, WIPosts: 87Member
    I am glad for all the folks putting down how horrible they think the game is; this way, they will leave soon and let the rest of us really enjoy a really cool game. A "win-win" if there ever was one.

    image

2
Sign In or Register to comment.