Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW rating drop a few minutes ago

I looked at the game list a few minutes ago, TSW was at a rating of 8.74 then. I read the Funcom Q2 report and came back to the game list after it, hit refresh and bang... rating down to 8.1x. I was wondering what's happening there and hit F5 a few times more and I saw the rating drop down to 7.93... Is mmorpg.com cleaning up something or are there a lot of users messing with TSW's rating? TSW was the highest rated game for weeks now with a stable 8.74 and all of a sudden it drops? What the hell?

Edit: 7.89 now and dropping...

Comments

• RottsteinRottstein Member UncommonPosts: 66

I imagine now that folks can rate GW2, all the fanboys are rating GW2 and then giong and rating down TSW so their game looks better.

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205
    Originally posted by Rottstein

I imagine now that folks can rate GW2, all the fanboys are rating GW2 and then giong and rating down TSW so their game looks better.

Conspiracy theory much? Those ratings are not solely user ratings, mmorpg.com can change it too, in fact part of the rating it judged by them. I doubt that many (if any) GW2 or any other game fans are going around rating other games lower.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by dellirious13
    Originally posted by Rottstein I imagine now that folks can rate GW2, all the fanboys are rating GW2 and then giong and rating down TSW so their game looks better.  
    Conspiracy theory much? Those ratings are not solely user ratings, mmorpg.com can change it too, in fact part of the rating it judged by them. I doubt that many (if any) GW2 or any other game fans are going around rating other games lower.

The rating system is dynamic. When a new game shows up and players rate that new game, it changes the scores of the other games. The players rating the new game don't have to do anything but rate their own game to affect the scores of other games.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• CrashrollCrashroll Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Noticed this myself. Pretty much just like you did. Odd really...and there's just one rating from today, and that one seems rather positive. So either fans are turning their backs to the game or mmorpg.com had their finger in it. Just can't figure out why...

Not tonight dear...I have a haddock!

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Like the hype meter , rating meter means bull. 

'Nough said.

Originally posted by Crashroll
    Noticed this myself. Pretty much just like you did. Odd really...and there's just one rating from today, and that one seems rather positive. So either fans are turning their backs to the game or mmorpg.com had their finger in it. Just can't figure out why...

There's nothing odd about it at all. All that needs to happen is that a game gets added to the "Released" list, and then a bunch of people vote on that game. The scores for the other games change. Nobody down voted or abandoned TSW. All that happened was that GW2 got added to the released games list, and it has a very high score.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by lizardbones
    Here's a link that explains what is happening.

The scores on the game list all just drastically changed, what is happening?

......Why?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

Originally posted by Rottstein I imagine now that folks can rate GW2, all the fanboys are rating GW2 and then giong and rating down TSW so their game looks better.  

Things like that happen all the time in this situation, though.

Go look at Metacritic, Amazon.com reviews for even simple things like movies.

Originally posted by Nitth
    Originally posted by lizardbones
    Here's a link that explains what is happening.

The scores on the game list all just drastically changed, what is happening?

......Why?

Why what. Why did I post that or why does MMORPG.com do their scores this way?

Question the first: Because people don't understand how MMORPG.com user ratings work. It's not an average of the user entered scores, it's something else. Scores are 'graded on a curve' so GW2's high 9 score isn't what people actually rated it. They may have all rated the game a 10 or a 7, but after being adjusted based on all the other games, it's a high 9.

Question the second: Not sure. Could be that a score of 9 means different things for different people. The best game on MMORPG.com might have an actual averaged user rating of 6, but since it's the best game and people reportedly like it, the rating is graded on a curve, and is now a high 9. Maybe they think it's a more accurate representation of what people like, or perhaps it juts makes things more dramatic.

Originally posted by Cinatrot

Things like that happen all the time in this situation, though.

Go look at Metacritic, Amazon.com reviews for even simple things like movies.

That is not happening here.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by SuprGamerX

Like the hype meter , rating meter means bull. 

'Nough said.

Bingo. I feel surprised that people take ratings on mmorpg.com so seriously.

Bite Me

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    nah , i am not care for any score ,look Eve is unique & best mmorpg but has user score  is 7.4  ,it show who are players & what they looking for(fantasy settings with  asian anima influence toons graphic ,F2P games or B2P with P2W cash shop...etc)