Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Guild Wars 2: Final Thoughts Before Launch

12346»

Comments

• XzitoXzito Member Posts: 43
    Soms good points have made but the com at they offer is not that special
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Originally posted by GrumpyCharr

I think MikeB nailed it with this part:

"Players don't react with a sense of trepidation when encountering each other in Guild Wars 2. You're never worried someone is going to steal your experience, items, or even resource nodes. MMOs are at their best with great communities, but they have, ironically, always been in their own way on this front." 

How many launch days for other games were low level quests impossible because quest mobs would  be wiped out by masses of new players?  More than I can count!  That will never happen in GW2.  Can't wait to finaly play this game for real!

I know...it's weird...one of the things that i hated about SWTOR...they did right in gw2. I wasn't gonna buy this game right off the bat, but I'm glad I did. It's fun for me, in small doses.

Originally posted by Isane
    Originally posted by GrumpyCharr

I think MikeB nailed it with this part:

"Players don't react with a sense of trepidation when encountering each other in Guild Wars 2. You're never worried someone is going to steal your experience, items, or even resource nodes. MMOs are at their best with great communities, but they have, ironically, always been in their own way on this front." 

How many launch days for other games were low level quests impossible because quest mobs would  be wiped out by masses of new players?  More than I can count!  That will never happen in GW2.  Can't wait to finaly play this game for real!

No competition for anything , sounds like a good solo player game to me. Or an everyone wins, pityfull

Not a solo player game, I've had more fun playing with other folks on the fly in this game than I have in many games, since SWG. You can run into a world event and just join in. They did it better than rift tbh. I ran across many of the same players over and over again last night.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• citadellicitadelli Member Posts: 36

Got the game for m bithday, haven't played GW  before at least since its beta..... Not a fan boy,

but after a couple days of playing.... I'm really impressd on this release!

it plays smooth it seems a bit different and it's beautiful. I've gotten to level 11 since yesterday but  I've not had this much fun playing in years.  And I hope I've only scratched the surface. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by citadelli

Got the game for m bithday, haven't played GW  before at least since its beta..... Not a fan boy,

but after a couple days of playing.... I'm really impressd on this release!

it plays smooth it seems a bit different and it's beautiful. I've gotten to level 11 since yesterday but  I've not had this much fun playing in years.  And I hope I've only scratched the surface. 

take a look at your total map % and see how little of the surface you scratched:P not to inlcude PVP, crafting, dungeons, jumping puzzles, playing other classes and such:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• citadellicitadelli Member Posts: 36

Um 2% so far and only one toon.  Can't wait to fully get the grip on game play and try PVP!

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

I'm not blown away by it personally. It doesn't fit my tastes so i can't justify paying 60$ for it right now. If it drops the price, i may pick up later on.

But i hope you guys enjoy yourselves, aswell as the rest of the GW2 community.

BTW, is it just me, or do i have a feeling the mmorpg.com staff as decided on the final score their official review already? image

I think your opinion is perfectly valid, but the value that you placed on a once off $60 is somewhat weird.

Considering that this game has no monthly subscription fee, $60 is really just like buying a game on steam, and is probably a lot more bang for the bug even if you think the game is pretty average and just trying it out.

Hell, it is even cheaper than Diablo 3 in some countries. I think $60 a month is worth it just for the shear amount of arts and world scale that ANet put into the game, even if you don't like the game itself.

Very impressive value for money imo compare to many other mmos (even compare to a lot of free-to-play ones, as they are never really free anyways and they are not at this scale of detail that I've seen so far).

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

I'm not blown away by it personally. It doesn't fit my tastes so i can't justify paying 60$ for it right now. If it drops the price, i may pick up later on.

But i hope you guys enjoy yourselves, aswell as the rest of the GW2 community.

BTW, is it just me, or do i have a feeling the mmorpg.com staff as decided on the final score their official review already? image

I think your opinion is perfectly valid, but the value that you placed on a once off $60 is somewhat weird.

Considering that this game has no monthly subscription fee, $60 is really just like buying a game on steam, and is probably a lot more bang for the bug even if you think the game is pretty average and and try it out.

Hell, it is even cheaper than Diablo 3 in some countries. I think $60 a month is worth it just for the shear amount of arts and world scale that ANet put into the game, even if you don't like the game itself.

Very impressive value for money imo compare to many other mmos (even compare to a lot of free-to-play ones, as they are never really free anyways and they are not at this scale of detail that I've seen so far).

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

Now is the time to buy charactor slots, bag slots, bank slots, etc......buy..buy...buy...

Love how you only hear one side of the story to every new game. Well..here at least.

• trozyxxxtrozyxxx Member UncommonPosts: 249

Im getting to be an old and jaded MMO'er, I cant belive im sucked into another mmo, another huge hype, I dunno I just cant help myself.

Also just to get moaning right at the start I bought a pre purchase from Amazon.co.uk which they sent to me without a 3 day headstart code, so Thanks for ripping me for an extra £10 for no headstart and I guess no in game item.

Ill put it down to experience along side my £130 CE of SW-TOR, you know the old/new MMo thats just announced its going F2P.

I promise to cheer up if this game delivers /p

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Unlike a lot of the other people, I won't be playing GW2, at least not at the moment.  Yet I want this game to succeed, even if I never play it.

Developers need to be rewarded for taking risks

Whatever one thought of TOR, bold and innovative would not come to mind.  While TERA and TSW have some bold and innovative aspects to them, the consensus seems to be, they just aren't good games, or at least aren't good in their current state.

GW2 is bold and innovative, and they might actually have the resources that the other games lacked.  If it flops, don't look for any big-time MMOs for awhile.  Make of that what you will.

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755

The game certainly does have the production quality at least. The starter area is also ok.

But countless of static events just doesnt hold up in the end. 

The combat powers are also static and seems very limitted since the basic powers cannot be changed. Found that system a bit odd and not inspiring at all. TSW has something much better.

But in general the quality is good throughout the game and based on that there really is no qualified competition out there, this game will succeed.

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Really?  Line up the staff and tell them to provide glowing endorsements of a game?  That's where we're at now?  Were ANet reps standing outside the door with the checks or did you have to wait for them in mail?