Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: One Million Sold, 400k Concurrent Users During Head Start

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet and NCSoft have sent word of some astonishing statistics to greet today's release of Guild Wars 2. Over a million players prepaid for the game allowing them access to the 3-day head start program. Additionally, over 400,000 players were on GW2 servers concurrently over the course of the early start.

“This is the culmination of a 5-year journey and to be greeted by this level of enthusiasm by our fans is truly amazing,” said Mike O’Brien, president and co-founder of ArenaNet. “But really our work is just beginning. Now our focus is shifting to building on this living world we’ve delivered, continuously refining our game and improving services to ensure our players have the best possible experience.”

Source: NCSoft/ArenaNet press release

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Pretty good. Can't wait to see how this game does a couple of months down the road.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    congrats! with no real commercial advertising i'd say that's a pretty impressive feat

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    congrats! with no real commercial advertising i'd say that's a pretty impressive feat

I've seen adverts on every single website I visit and I've seen trailers before videos on youtube and my friend said he saw a trailer on the TV.

So, what?

Originally posted by Valua

I've seen adverts on every single website I visit and I've seen trailers before videos on youtube and my friend said he saw a trailer on the TV.

So, what?

most all the advertising started today.. there was almost none prior to this.. a million sales from mostly word of mouth is damn impressive

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Well, i expected a million copies easy from a game with this much anticipation and hype nowadays. The question remains, are the majority already playing, or will normal launch have more players?

IMO, the pre-purshuce will be bigger, like most mmorpgs. My prediction was always of about 1.5 million in the first month (don't know about the future since i don't read it). Hvae to wait and see.

I also wonder if this meets NCsoft's desires.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Absolutely no surprise, Arenanet have really build one hell of a good game.

400,000+ concurrent users is just insane, to put that into perspective, I believe SWTOR topped out at just under 350,000 and that was over a holiday period. Over a million pre-purchases (which won’t include pre-orders + day one sales) is simply amazing too.

The game has got off to a great start.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    I see recall reading that ncsoft was expecting 3-4 million in the first year. Can't find the source, but did read the financial report.
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Sweet! I have not seen any official advertising aside from word of mouth. No banners or anything anywhere that I have noticed. And this is not counting pre-orders or launch day sales. Very good number for an excellent game. It will do extremely well imo.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

most all the advertising started today.. there was almost none prior to this.. a million sales from mostly word of mouth is damn impressive

No other game had the viral marketting GW2 had though. Whether it's justified remains to be seen.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Im not seriously hating, cus those are definitely good numbers, but im surprised, maybe its the level of hype the game has on these forums, but i was expecting more in the high 1's low 2's fr boxes sold.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

Well, i expected a million copies easy from a game with this much anticipation and hype nowadays. The question remains, are the majority already playing, or will normal launch have more players?

IMO, the pre-purshuce will be bigger, like most mmorpgs. My prediction was always of about 1.5 million in the first month (don't know about the future since i don't read it). Hvae to wait and see.

I also wonder if this meets NCsoft's desires.

What they said was they sold over 1 million PRE-PURCHASE copies ONLY, they didn't count the pre-orders, todays digital sales and I doubt they have a real information of how many copies was sold on the 1st day in retail stores. So I expect numbers to get bigger as we get the real sales number.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Im not seriously hating, cus those are definitely good numbers, but im surprised, maybe its the level of hype the game has on these forums, but i was expecting more in the high 1's low 2's fr boxes sold.

lol... The game already won the "people's choice" award with not much of a problem and you're surprised?! I'm surprised taht you're surprised :D

EDIT: I read it again, misunderstood it :D 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

lol... The game already won the "people's choice" award with not much of a problem and you're surprised?! I'm surprised taht you're surprised :D

he's suprised it wasn't higher.. but like said above this was only pre-purchase.. so more to come

• rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    well either way they makin sells considering the game isnt really a sub based game its pretty damn good even if the player base starts dropping arena net already got the money games like this make their money off the box sells alone and the way the gem shop is set up its not gonna be to dependent on it for revenue if i had a guess they are working on xpacs already similar how they did it in gw1.
  • ClobClob Member Posts: 130

Well, boogie likes it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z5nso_-LDo

As he states in this vid he also jokingly did one of his fun Francis vids too that you'll see on his page.  It's make believe of course as he said he didn't have any problems at all logging in.

:)

• MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    I give it 3 months till it goes f2p ;)

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

• alexminoalexmino Member Posts: 132

Less than the failed star wars mmo, only a few million to go to catch up to the last wow expansion!

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    I would have expected close to 2 million in the headstart.  I guess word of mouth will get them sales over the next month or two.
  • obocoboc Member UncommonPosts: 189
    GW2 is the most addicting game I've ever played. I enjoyed the hell out SWTOR, but this is a whole new ball game . I start to think about playing it some more while I'm playing it , LOL . 
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    I see recall reading that ncsoft was expecting 3-4 million in the first year. Can't find the source, but did read the financial report.

Keep in mind, the 1M NCSoft mentioned are only the pre-purchases (Suzie made a baddy with pre-orders, which is different for GW2). I think adding last minute sales and pre-orders that the number will be significantly higher.

Also worth to mention that GW(1) has sold close to 5M copies over the years. I expect GW2 to sell half of it the coming month, and an other couple of M's the rest of the year (holidays are coming...)

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Coolit

Absolutely no surprise, Arenanet have really build one hell of a good game.

400,000+ concurrent users is just insane, to put that into perspective, I believe SWTOR topped out at just under 350,000 and that was over a holiday period. Over a million pre-purchases (which won’t include pre-orders + day one sales) is simply amazing too.

The game has got off to a great start.

Is a F2P MMO or game, u cant compare it with a P2P launch, there is just a lot of people who dont buy P2P games because it have a sub, is not the case of gw2, so u cant make comparision with P2P games, are 2 different markets, and still a P2P mmo like swtor sold over 1.7 Mill of copies at launch, as a f2p overhyped MMO gw2 should have sold more than 3 mill of copies, i remember ncsoft talking about that number, and is not even close. For a B2P game, i dont know if 1 mill is a good number. 

• GamerToonsGamerToons Member Posts: 30
    I think you guys are misreading. There was over 1,000,000,000 prepurchasers.

There was over 400k playing the game AT ONCE.

That's huge especially for a new game.

Good job ArenaNet!
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    That's good going that's the equiv of wow vanilla opening up and having 40 full servers on day 1.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• GamerToonsGamerToons Member Posts: 30
    @hikaru77 WoW has 11 million subs.

Also this is not a F2P as you buy the game, like any other sub MMO.

They are going for the same customers. 400k concurrent users is huge and the 1 million only takes prepurchase in account. 3 of my friends are buying it today after watching me play this weekend.

It isn't hype that is going to sell this game. It's the fact it's a really good game and MMO player recognize this.
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Once the anxiety settles over the decision to buy or not, more people will buy. Swtor left some people a bit gunshy. Mists is,coming in a month, I would say give 1-3 weeks for anxiety to clear for those people to purchase, give 1-2 months for people to get bored of mists of panobama to get bored and jump ship over to GW2. Right now if you haven't checked it out, your in for a treat.