Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst PVP I've seen in a while

Comments

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by wowfan1996

So you are you still mad that (insert game name) failed to meet your expectations. And now you stalk GW2 forums desperately hoping that GW2 will be just as disappointing for its fans as (insert game name) was for you.

Maybe it's time to stop for a moment and find something better to do?

Ey. Thats the whole purpose of these forums here. Try to convince other people that everything except your own opinion is sh..!

Hodor!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I agree with the mouse part. Turning does get real sluggish at time when hold right click, as in it wont turn...

That's about all though.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • xxlilDevilxxxxlilDevilxx Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Originally posted by gildarbuc

Bad

-The pvp runs heavy.  I have a very high end machine with a 15 meg connection and my mouse feels like it weighs 5 lbs

Check your computer, it runs perfect on mine.

- Dont download anything while you are playing

- Check drivers

- change computer

-As in most games the class balance is way off.  Tanks with heals are almost not worth trying to kill one on one.  They do more dmg than they should.

- Ahh....thats why they call tanks?

- pick off glass cannons first?

-The game rolls from one instance into another and you stay with that group until players leave and new players enter in their place.  It feels like a huge treadmill and the instances start to run together.  If you hate a particular instance you are stuck dropping and coming into another group to avoid it.

- What else do you want? Back to lobby and find another group each time you done? Haters gonna hate I guess.

-the game slows down in fights because of the lag and it frames a LOT more than it should.  Not bad but too much.

- Again check your drivers and upgrade your graphic card.

-there does not seem to be ANY reason to pvp other than to kill other players and get pvp exp.  With that exp you get chests of gear that will twink you a bit.  I am only lvl 10 pvp so I don't know how much the gear elevates your toon at later levels.  Certain classes just suck so read up so your not rolling that class.

- You new to mmo? Define pvp please? It is player vs player correct? What OTHER reasons do you want?

-you change teams so your fighting a guy one instance and when you roll to the next one he is on your team.  I don't like that at all.  I want a bad guy to go after each run.

Dont understand what you trying to say.

-I was up at 3 am to start pvping on Sat morning and on Monday night I have no desire to play the game.  That is about as fast as that has ever happened.

- Then uninstall the game and request a refund if you dont like it.

-the graphics are not that great.  Rift and SWTOR have better graphics and better pvp.

- lol, trolling is so obious, SWTOR? WTF....SWTOR has the WORST pvp in history of mmo.

I have NOT done global pvp.  All i have done are instances.  If this were a subscription game I would have canceled it already.  There are MUCH better pvp games out there.  This isn't a bad game it just isn't good. I will keep playing it and hoping I find some pvp that is  fun to play.  I waited a LONG time for this game and it is not living up to the hype.  My buddies are saying the same things.  One is already back in Rift.

- Then go back to Rift, no one is stopping you.

-

Text in red

• EmerwynEmerwyn Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by Urko
    Originally posted by Emerwyn

Guild Wars 2 isn't even "PvP". All you can do is play a copy of WoW's Wintergrasp endlessly where nobody ever wins or loses, just for the sake of it. There's no open world PvP, no arenas, no battlegrounds, nothing. Just that one nosense zergfest. 

Disappointing, to put it nicely.

You obviously havent played it , yes there is battlegrounds.

Nope, there aren't. There is Wintergrasp-wannabe (yeah, GW2 is so innovating) and the old GW1 system (more innovation!).

Definitely groundbreaking game.

Btw, what's the Auction House ETA? I heard it'll be enabled the same day that everyone stops having 1k ping.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

I have not a high end pc  (it was a high end pc 5 years ago.. now its not) and i run the game at max setting with no problems at pvp, everything runs smooth.

This takes 2 of your points away.

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Originally posted by Onigod

I have not a high end pc  (it was a high end pc 5 years ago.. now its not) and i run the game at max setting with no problems at pvp, everything runs smooth.

This takes 2 of your points away.

No it doesn't. Why do people keep using that argument? Just because it works for you, doesn't mean it works for everyone else. Each hardware is unique, and a high end computer could be struggling for a whole bunch of reasons, while a mid range computer does fine.

But this goes both ways, just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it is a pile of crap for everyone else.

For example I ran the guild wars 2 beta ok'ish with an 4 year old computer, with everything on medium more or less. But a friend of mine struggled with a pretty new computer.

But it's pretty clear from reading on this, and other forums, that a loooot of people are stuggling performance wise. Maybe not a lot percentage wise, but I see many complaints. Do you really believe that it's their fault? God why.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i think that the "no trinity" thing is going to back fire on GW2.

all you get now is 30 people all dpsing. there is no structure, no roles, no diversity....everyone just jumps on 1 guy and tries to burn him down. since there are no true healers nobody can try to save that 1 guy that is getting focused. besically the team that burns down quicker wins.

there is also almost no incetive to try a different class. why should i  when i can already do it all on my current class? there is no different way to play, there are no different roles to try,  there is just wearing different armor and having different animations/spells/skill.....but they all do the same thing....dps and some heals.

the game looks nice, it's kind of fun, but i just dont know about longevity here. at least i dont have to pay every time i want to come back anc see what's new and different.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703

Guild Wars 2 isn't even "PvP". All you can do is play a copy of WoW's Wintergrasp endlessly where nobody ever wins or loses, just for the sake of it. There's no open world PvP, no arenas, no battlegrounds, nothing. Just that one nosense zergfest. 

Nope, there aren't. There is Wintergrasp-wannabe (yeah, GW2 is so innovating) and the old GW1 system (more innovation!).

Btw, what's the Auction House ETA? I heard it'll be enabled the same day that everyone stops having 1k ping.

Maybe no one told you ever but the first and most basic rule of an argument is, the first one to use hyperbole has lost

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by muthax

Maybe no one told you ever but the first and most basic rule of an argument is, the first one to use hyperbole has lost

And Muthax is back to save GW2 again...you cannot have any opinion other then his or he will enlighten you to his all knowing knowledge of the GW2 his almighty savior game. 

Originally posted by Gaborik

And Muthax is back to save GW2 again...you cannot have any opinion other then his or he will enlighten you to his all knowing knowledge of the GW2 his almighty savior game. 

You realize the amount of hirony your words had when you called me a stalker ;)

Cmon you know, GW2 IS the greates MMO to ever come to light, now or in the future! JOIN US!

• lapommelapomme Member Posts: 270

The combat system in PvE is similar to every single other MMO post-WoW.  Let's get that straight.  I don't understand how people don't see this.  You pick your skills, there's a certain combination of numbers that you press over and over and over (or just randomly when they cooldown), and the mobs die.  It's been like this for enternity and changes VERY little from MMO to MMO.  You should not judge a post-WoW MMO's combat system from PvE as most of them follow this pattern.

PvP, on the other hand, is a different matter.  While GW2 is definitely much faster than most MMO's (and sadly kind of feels like WoW), there is definitely some unique elements to it.  My buddy has been playing every beta weekend 24/7 straight.  He's about 50 now and hasn't exploited anything.  And I can tell you for sure, he knows the best way to beat every class in PvP using his Guardian (he's played all the other classes a ton).

A lot of people don't realize how important timing interrupts or dodges with their opponents' most important skills is.  Guild Wars 2 is fast, and the skill/spell animations are not very unique.  However, my friend knows every skill for each class and what it looks like.  He can interrupt or dodge their elites, and crush them in turn.  He really isn't someone you wanna screw with in the field.  He also leads our guilds PvP group and I can tell you there is definitely a specialized skill in that too.  He knows what targets to call first, demands we throw certain skills on them, etc.

There is a lot of hidden skill in this game, and a lot of it I haven't really figured out.  It takes time, experience, and practice.  People that complain all the time about simplicity, classes being imbalanced, and other stuff are simply whiners who are too lazy to understand the true mechanics after they get rolled a couple of times.

Have you gone 5v5 against one of the best guilds in the game?  I have.  They showed us that there is a lot of skill required in this game when we got absolutely annihilated by them.  Completely crushed.  And we aren't exactly "noobs".

Just my 2 cents.

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251

You realize the amount of hirony your words had when you called me a stalker ;)

Cmon you know, GW2 IS the greates MMO to ever come to light, now or in the future! JOIN US!

HAHA that was a good one, did not even notice you posted here until I got to the end, read your post and said to myself geez that sounds like Muth and wow it was.  Again I am joining you I am playing it I am having a little fun but I dont think it will hold a lot of people attention that long. 

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

i think that the "no trinity" thing is going to back fire on GW2.

all you get now is 30 people all dpsing. there is no structure, no roles, no diversity....everyone just jumps on 1 guy and tries to burn him down. since there are no true healers nobody can try to save that 1 guy that is getting focused. besically the team that burns down quicker wins.

there is also almost no incetive to try a different class. why should i  when i can already do it all on my current class? there is no different way to play, there are no different roles to try,  there is just wearing different armor and having different animations/spells/skill.....but they all do the same thing....dps and some heals.

the game looks nice, it's kind of fun, but i just dont know about longevity here. at least i dont have to pay every time i want to come back anc see what's new and different.

What I been saying and reason I personally dislike gw2. But thing is as we see in most mmorpgs,most people don't like tank/healer and all go dps. So it's works coz large majority of player like dps, and like just a big burn fest with no real roll or much team work (hint like fps) But hey it's targeting a large casual gamer base so it works well.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by Fratman
    Originally posted by kol56
    Originally posted by aesperus

In my opinion, the game is too dumbed down, it's a button mashing zergfest, there are no goals, it's pvping for the sake of pvping, like a Call of Duty or Halo FPS match.

Maybe it's good as a second MMO, just to have 15 minutes of mindless fun every now and then.

That's what sPvP is designed for. Arena based PvP IS PvPing for the sake of PvPing. The goal is to be better than your opponent. That's it!

If you want goal-oriented PvP, that's where WvW comes in.

I was talking about WwW, zergfests against random no named players, it's too shallow.

And it was supposed to be the best thing about GW2.

Mass pvp is fun for about 5 minutes to anyone with a brain. After that the zerging is just annoying. Bad news is that Arenanet decided to base their entire game around it. lol.

Have you ever coordinated a 150 man zerg into 3 different assualts to

1) besiege the enemy castle

2) cut their port to said castle

3) kill any reinforcements on their way, to said castle?

No you probably have not. GW2 is in its early days, there are no server leaders yet, and no one really cares yet, with matches changing daily, I don't care about WvW.

As soon as we get into the 2 week battles, i'm all in, and you can bet your ass the tactics and strategy will be there too.

O also on a side note, when people bitch about being in zergs, I can't take them seriously. Because they are too lazy to play the game they want to play. You want to get away from the zergs? Don't expect that gameplay to come to you, get out, on your own, or with a friend, and go kill shit. It's literally as simple as that. 

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• TheAsianVillainTheAsianVillain Member UncommonPosts: 85

Here is a short pvp review

Good

-You can pvp from lvl one

-You roll a lvl 80 toon and have at it.  This makes it so much easier than to grind a toon to 80 to find out that class sux in pvp.

-instances are easy to get into for now and the ques are instant.

Bad

-The pvp runs heavy.  I have a very high end machine with a 15 meg connection and my mouse feels like it weighs 5 lbs

-As in most games the class balance is way off.  Tanks with heals are almost not worth trying to kill one on one.  They do more dmg than they should.

-The game rolls from one instance into another and you stay with that group until players leave and new players enter in their place.  It feels like a huge treadmill and the instances start to run together.  If you hate a particular instance you are stuck dropping and coming into another group to avoid it.

-the game slows down in fights because of the lag and it frames a LOT more than it should.  Not bad but too much.

-there does not seem to be ANY reason to pvp other than to kill other players and get pvp exp.  With that exp you get chests of gear that will twink you a bit.  I am only lvl 10 pvp so I don't know how much the gear elevates your toon at later levels.  Certain classes just suck so read up so your not rolling that class.

-you change teams so your fighting a guy one instance and when you roll to the next one he is on your team.  I don't like that at all.  I want a bad guy to go after each run.

-I was up at 3 am to start pvping on Sat morning and on Monday night I have no desire to play the game.  That is about as fast as that has ever happened.

-the graphics are not that great.  Rift and SWTOR have better graphics and better pvp.

I have NOT done global pvp.  All i have done are instances.  If this were a subscription game I would have canceled it already.  There are MUCH better pvp games out there.  This isn't a bad game it just isn't good. I will keep playing it and hoping I find some pvp that is  fun to play.  I waited a LONG time for this game and it is not living up to the hype.  My buddies are saying the same things.  One is already back in Rift.

-

This is like a no-shiit-sherlock post.... T'day marks the first day of launch (4th day for people who had prepurchased the game.) and you expect everything to be "BALANCED?" 

Point proven, no further comment. :P

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

-there does not seem to be ANY reason to pvp other than to kill other players and get pvp exp

You mean this game will actually have people who want to PvP just because PvP is inherently fun? That should be the ONLY reason to PvP ever!!!!!!!!

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Originally posted by gestalt11

If I was to believe the OP, then I would also have to believe that games like TF2, LoL, and GW1 are also all steaming piles of crap.

The reasons just don't make sense. Structured PvP is basically arena based pvp (and is not the only pvp in this game). It's meant to feel like a game, and it's meant to allow players to stay in it for as much (or as little) as they want. All of these criticisms can be applied to games like TF2, but it's still basically someone saying a thing is bad, because it doesn't fit their personal preference. I get it if it's not your cup of tea, but to say something sucks (and is awful), because of the mechanics inherent to the type of game you're playing, is a bit absurd. It would be like someone saying a specific RTS game is awful, because you are randomly joined up with different players. (while most MMOs have faction based pvp, the ones that don't function in a very similar fashion)

- As for the performance issues. Hard to say if it's genuine or not. We have no idea what type of system your running, if it's a unique scenario of some back-end software conflicting, or what. However, to most players, the game is running smooth as butter in most cases. There has been lag, especially in the starting areas, but that's not exactly unexpected.

Unfortunately its true the statements themselves make no sense.  Until, that is, you read between the lines.

The full statment needs to add in "This is an MMORPG and I am a rat stuck in the random rewards skinner box and anything that deviates from that does not give me the addictive fix I need so it sucks." in order to make real sense.  Afterall MMRPG are not designed to have inherently fun gameplay so you need to spice it up with some addictive gambling based reward system with an infinite power curve.

TF2 people arguing with WoW people about PvP is like a cocaine addict arguing with a heroine addict about which drug is better.  And when you mix the two you get speedball and that just kills anyone addicted to that.

Mostly agree with this statement.  Nicely put.

This comment I don't think I agree with, but I'm not sure you meant it as a blanket statement. 

"Afterall MMRPG are not designed to have inherently fun gameplay so you need to spice it up with some addictive gambling based reward system with an infinite power curve."

Fun gameplay is a pretty subjective element.  Some gameplay features in MMORPGs may be inherently fun to experience in and of themselves. 

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

-there does not seem to be ANY reason to pvp other than to kill other players and get pvp exp

You mean this game will actually have people who want to PvP just because PvP is inherently fun? That should be the ONLY reason to PvP ever!!!!!!!!

Please dont kid yourself that people who pvp in this game are grizzeld and hardcore pvpers.

This game offers absolutely no risk whatsoever for engaging in pvp...none.

Killing pixles is fun, we all can agree on that.  However without long term goals to aspire towards it becomes monotonous...especially when theres nothing on the line.

its like how some people like to gamble on sporting events to really add excitement to the match.  

I die in pvp in this game and if im not easy mode rezzed on the spot i just port back to the start and run back and its like it never happend....where the fun in that?  kill your arch nemesis and hes back in your face in 30 seconds...

Games like this are great while riding the wave of launch excitment...however that wave always comes to shore...there better be a hell of a lot of fun shit to do on shore...this game looks to not have much in store for that period of time comming up in the next 3-6 weeks.

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by sonoggi
    Lol winter grasp. U mean tonka toy wars? Wvw absolutely crushes any other open world PvP out there and is a huge improvement of daoc system

Ugh, you really didn t say it s better the DAOC s system, tell me you didn t. That in itself tells me you haven t got a clue. DAOC system, persistant beyond 2 weeks. DAOCs system, no stupid pack horses roaming around that are beyond easy to kill, in DAOC you had to actually have dedicated people carrying the mats, using a RA ability Lifter to help your realm. DAOC system had a dungeon open up to who owned the most towers in the frontiers, argueably one of the best MMO dungeons ever. No GW2 puzzle fest dungeon is not even close to DF.  I could go on and on, but I have no sense of hate for other servers, like I did with the Albs and Hibs, as I was a Mid. I try to make it feel like DAOC did, but it just isn t , and until a game comes out with 3 realm system that isn t changed every 2 weeks, DAOC is still king, not GW2.

On a side not PS2 is the funnest 3 team system, by a long shot for me, but I m talking about a MMORPG not FPS.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

No it doesn't work.

As much as I would love to agree with this I can t. Alot if not most MMO players want to improve their chars, and I m willing to bet even you won t find it as fun, after many many matches of well just pvping. It s just the nature of it, people want more then just , oh look we won.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

-

I like Rifts PVP too but from what you seem to be saying is you didn't really give GW2 pvp any sort of chance . You can't have leveled up very highly so if you were to liken it to Rift it would be like making a judgement on pvp simply by the Black Garden or Library of the Runemasters .

This really makes me doubt the validity of your comments .

I love Rift too and yes I'm worried that its going to be hit by GW2 big time too but you wont find me coming on here trying to persuade people GW2 is a bad pvp game based on a limited experiance .

Sadly I wonder how games like Rift will survive now GW2 is out and even huge games like WoW I think are likly to take a massive hit .

HAHA that was a good one, did not even notice you posted here until I got to the end, read your post and said to myself geez that sounds like Muth and wow it was.  Again I am joining you I am playing it I am having a little fun but I dont think it will hold a lot of people attention that long. 

yeah I know, I was just saying how silly it was when you called me a stalker

about the attention, god only knows, but I am willing to take bets :)

Originally posted by Wolvards
    Originally posted by Fratman

In my opinion, the game is too dumbed down, it's a button mashing zergfest, there are no goals, it's pvping for the sake of pvping, like a Call of Duty or Halo FPS match.

Maybe it's good as a second MMO, just to have 15 minutes of mindless fun every now and then.

That's what sPvP is designed for. Arena based PvP IS PvPing for the sake of PvPing. The goal is to be better than your opponent. That's it!

If you want goal-oriented PvP, that's where WvW comes in.

I was talking about WwW, zergfests against random no named players, it's too shallow.

And it was supposed to be the best thing about GW2.

Mass pvp is fun for about 5 minutes to anyone with a brain. After that the zerging is just annoying. Bad news is that Arenanet decided to base their entire game around it. lol.

Have you ever coordinated a 150 man zerg into 3 different assualts to

1) besiege the enemy castle

2) cut their port to said castle

3) kill any reinforcements on their way, to said castle?

No you probably have not. GW2 is in its early days, there are no server leaders yet, and no one really cares yet, with matches changing daily, I don't care about WvW.

As soon as we get into the 2 week battles, i'm all in, and you can bet your ass the tactics and strategy will be there too.

O also on a side note, when people bitch about being in zergs, I can't take them seriously. Because they are too lazy to play the game they want to play. You want to get away from the zergs? Don't expect that gameplay to come to you, get out, on your own, or with a friend, and go kill shit. It's literally as simple as that. 

I m all into the idea of it as well, but it will never ever play out like DAOC did. You sound like you played it, and in this topic I already posted. I ll sum it up quickly. 2 week sessions are not enough to ever build a hate for the other servers. DAOC people in the first 5 years I would say, until Mythic f d it up, but thats for a different topic, people actually hated the other realm. All you havd to do was go onto the VN boards daily to see. It will never happen here, maybe at the very early stages, but later I fear it won t. Fun to be had sure, but lasting impressions for years to come nope, for me anyways.

Originally posted by Deto123

As much as I would love to agree with this I can t. Alot if not most MMO players want to improve their chars, and I m willing to bet even you won t find it as fun, after many many matches of well just pvping. It s just the nature of it, people want more then just , oh look we won.

I know it's a different kind of game but FIFA and its online matches played by millions seem to have something to say about it :)