Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 hits 400k concurrent users before launch

MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

They sold a tad over 1 mill copies which is about normal for a popular ip these days. Whatever happened to that 2-3 mill copies at launch. Doubt we will see that many more copies sold. Still a good profit I would imagine.

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/28/guild-wars-2-hits-400k-concurrent-users-before-launch/

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Comments

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

That was over 1 million pre-purchases, not total copies sold.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Seems reasonable, they had roughly 50 servers at launch, all were pretty much full, so it works out to about 8K per server cluster and we know they shift some portion of the population to overflow during the peak times.

Good solid start so far.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Zezda

it is still considerably low than what people were hyping this gamen out to be. Just shows you what hype does.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703

400K concurrent users IN THE MORNING OF THE HEADSTART

not bad

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by Mephster

it is still considerably low than what people were hyping this gamen out to be. Just shows you what hype does.

For statistical reasons you are requested to make at least ONE post where you don't slag the game. Even something like "It's not as repulsive as I thought" would count

Otherwise people might think you don't like the game!

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

And then there were people saying it will be 1kk, some even said it won't get 1kk by release. your point is?

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    LOL

Yes, only fanboys can be so blind to things right? 1M if people willing to buy it ahead of time. I would expect at least another million. If not who really cares. If total sales effect how you feel about a game then it's just like hype having nothing to do with the game itself. This goes both ways....
  • jblahjblah Member UncommonPosts: 368
    People keep saying 1 million or I have even heard 3-4 million sold but I have yet to see a link from Arena net confirming this. 400k sounds like they have 400k users that logged in on Friday. Lets say that 50% of people had to work Friday night and could not play that still does not equal 1 million people.

Playing- Guild Wars 2, SWTOR
    SWTOR Referral Link Get a free Server Transfer and lots of other free stuff for your SWTOR account! Works for both new and previous players.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

There was a thread where forum users guessed how many sales there would been once GW2 hits the 2-month mark. We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Link to the thread: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/358327

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by jblah
    People keep saying 1 million or I have even heard 3-4 million sold but I have yet to see a link from Arena net confirming this. 400k sounds like they have 400k users that logged in on Friday. Lets say that 50% of people had to work Friday night and could not play that still does not equal 1 million people.

i googled and got this

http://techland.time.com/2012/08/28/guild-wars-2-sales-one-million-pre-served-record-400000-playing-at-once/

publisher NCsoft is sharing preliminary numbers for all you MMO comparison wonks: Over one million players paid to play the game ($60 standard, $150 collector’s, and it’s free-to-play thereafter) during the three-day early start. And that’s not counting the one-day preorders or, obviously, whatever sales the game enjoys today as it officially launches.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

I don't know who was saying more than a million. Delusional people perhaps. However, most of us with a brain guessed the number of ~pre-purchases~ were around 1 million. However, that number doesn't include pre-orders or any launch-day purchases.  And 400k online concurrently, in the wee hours of the morning, is actually pretty amazing. I'm surprised their servers held up this morning.

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640
    Originally posted by jblah

well, this other million is trying to login.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

You guys that come here baiting others need to get on the same page. Was the hype for how the fans felt about the game or the total sales? 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    I called the release numbers a couple of months ago.   It probably won't be much different than Aion.  
  • MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Originally posted by thinktank001
    I called the release numbers a couple of months ago.   It probably won't be much different than Aion.  

FInally someone who gets it. I mean we even present facts to the diehards about the numbers and they still think 2-3 million are lurking out there buying GW2 right now. Completely insane. This has to be the most overhype game in history of mmos, well other than The Old Republic. 

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by thinktank001

I called it also.  People expecting a niche game like this to sustain the millions need a wake up call.  The game will sell great, but it wont sustain them best part is its b2p so they always come back when bored of the other games.

To be positive i like the game I just know it wont keep me playing for months on end.   Also wheres the people who said this game would out presell swtor ?  Not comparing the 2 because swtor sucks balls but it didnt even come close.

• SathnorSathnor Member Posts: 32
    Isn't there already the exact same thread about this?
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by muthax

400K concurrent users IN THE MORNING OF THE HEADSTART

not bad

...with half Europe unable to logon...

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714

The problem here is you are letting the insane amount of hype that you read about on all of the various internet boards and sites skew your opininion. The vocal people on these sites represent the smallest majority of gamers. It's easy to forget that and I definitely do it all the time.

I have no opinion here or there on GW2, but I understand that online hype, no matter how massive, dosen't represent the amount of people who will end up playing the game in the beginning. 

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Ahh so that's why he's on my list.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

So, you make a statement, someone corrects you and points out how what you said was plain wrong, and instead of acknowledging that you press on with the point.

Yep, the internet working as normal.

Look, noone knows how many copies have been sold at launch yet. Pull your head in. Trying to gloat at this time is silly.

1kk pre sales is a great result.

• nutsoddsnutsodds Member Posts: 89

I wouldn't say 1 million copies is a good businnes so far, taking into account they won't have monthly subscriptions.

I'm sure they already spent that amount of money in the game budget. SWTOR budget was  like 300 million right?

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Ozreth

The problem here is you are letting the insane amount of hype that you read about on all of the various internet boards and sites skew your opininion. The vocal people on these sites represent the smallest majority of gamers. It's easy to forget that and I definitely do it all the time.

I have no opinion here or there on GW2, but I understand that online hype, no matter how massive, dosen't represent the amount of people who will end up playing the game in the beginning. 

That and there was plenty of threads about how many GW2 sold, and I shit you guys not all the serious claims(I mean sheesh you can tell) people didn't expect much at launch, a matter of fact 1-3 million at launch  was common every time there was a thread.

Course everybody can pretend like that wasn't the case because it's easy to pretend like ish was different, thogh people did say sales would be pretty good in the first month by word of month.

Guild Wars IP isn't that high on the "Ahhh shit I know what this is!" list.(Common Sense)

This isn't towards you Oz, I actualy agree, but just noting that even through all this "hype" many vocal fans on this forum at least had realistic expectations of the sales, Mephster is baiting for no damn reason other to just bait lol(I believe I took it at of sheer pity).

Whelp that being said, guys be easy and live happy, peace.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by nutsodds

I wouldn't say 1 million copies is a good businnes so far, taking into account they won't have monthly subscriptions.

I'm sure they already spent that amount of money in the game budget. SWTOR budget was  like 300 million right?

SWTOR budget was over blown because 

1) They had to buy the rights to make the game

2) Bio-wear wasted time and money highering story writers

3) Started creating the game with a different engine (if IRRC)

AoC, probably the game that started the flops that we've seen be the standard over the years, made 2mil profit off of inital sales. GW2, while being in development for serveral years, has probably made profit as well for several reasons one of them being people continued to play GW1 and buy items after content development basically stopped. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

I see OPs posts, and I have just one question. 

What are you mad about? I mean you and few others stick around these forums to just put out information that suits your case which is to pretty much tell everyone how unsuccessful GW2 is.

I mean why bother you hate the game so much, why do you still sit here and spend so much time making posts and getting worked up.

Last post for me. I just wanted to get that out there before I put on ignore list.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-