Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Garrett's First Impressions

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With the three day head start behind us and the official release day finally arriving, we've got some impressions of Guild Wars 2 to share. See what you think and then add your comments to the discussion of the most keenly anticipated game of 2012.

So the Head Start weekend is over and we are not entering full launch today. I am not quite sure what that means but honestly Head Start was launch at least in my book. So I thought to write down my first few hours of play, followed by frustrations and then my epic journey Sunday night which cost me my consciousness all day Monday. Ready: here is the break-down of my first few days of Guild Wars 2. PS: Necromancer for the win!

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Guild Wars 2: Head Start Impressions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

GW2 is amazing!!!! i have not found anything ingame that i disliked!!!

great job Anet!!!

• SiyahSiyah Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by orbitxo

GW2 is amazing!!!! havent found anything that i havent disliked!!!!

great job Anet!!!

So basically you really dont like the game ;)

Originally posted by _Sye_

GW2 is amazing!!!! havent found anything that i havent disliked!!!!

great job Anet!!!

So basically you really dont like the game ;)

oh shush! i loved the game! after reading my post- i was like wtf did i just write!???

i love the game!

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

I still get this notion of having to "tag" a mob or get to a copper ore before someone else gets there in my head. Its all these years of mmos following that trend for no good reason really. The game brings a sense of union that I haven't felt in any other mmo.

If there is one thing that I love about the pve though its the exploration. I don't look for a quest hub, do all the quest and move on. I roam freely doing whatever I come across and it works! Its also so nice to have things happen all the time. Things change and move around you, you could be minding your own business killing some mobs and have a group of 6 or 7 players with two npcs run right by you. You don't see stuff like that in other mmos.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

My urge to make a Theif and/or Necro is just... driving me crazy.

17 Guardian 24 Warrior and I feel like I need to keep experimenting.

I never really played many classes in beta besides Guardian and Warrior - feel like I am missing out on potentially awesome experiences.

Originally posted by Kuppa

I still get this notion of having to "tag" a mob or get to a copper ore before someone else gets there in my head. Its all these years of mmos following that trend for no good reason really. The game brings a sense of union that I haven't felt in any other mmo.

haha so true! i cough t myself thinking  that also or just jumping into a batte from another player =hes not like, 'thats my kill!'-hes like' yes come join'!!!...

and iam addicted to the 'vistas' they are soo fun and seen some funny player moments !

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I never really played many classes in beta besides Guardian and Warrior - feel like I am missing out on potentially awesome experiences.

haha yeah i know what you mean

Normally, I pick a class I think I will like, play it for a bit, and if I dont like it I will re-roll and then focus on that.

In GW2 I have a 21 Warrior, an 18 Engineer and a 12 Mesmer. Loving them all. Playing them all.

Also, the first 2(at least) zones for each race are unique, and the personal stories are all different depending on what options you pick on character creation. I love how the different choices tell the same story but from different perspectives!

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

Originally posted by Kuppa

haha so true! i cough t myself thinking  that also or just jumping into a batte from another player =hes not like, 'thats my kill!'-hes like' yes come join'!!!...

and iam addicted to the 'vistas' they are soo fun and seen some funny player moments !

Pro Tip: be very careful when jumping into water from the high places you have got to to see the vistas. Make sure the water is actually deep. Or you die. 

It took me 3 stupid deaths to learn that lesson. LOL

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341
    Yep it's fun that there is no reason why you would be mad because someone tap or finishes your mob !

dont worry! when u create a new character with its own personal story- itll be a whole new experience!!! i have 4 classes /races...and they are all so different in story its not boring!!!!ive managed to level my engi/charr to level 25 all in one zone!!!!!i havent even see the other zones!!!-much. alot to explore!  havent even done pvp or dugeons! yet!!!this sandbox is huge!!!!

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by stragen001

Normally, I pick a class I think I will like, play it for a bit, and if I dont like it I will re-roll and then focus on that.

In GW2 I have a 21 Warrior, an 18 Engineer and a 12 Mesmer. Loving them all. Playing them all.

Also, the first 2(at least) zones for each race are unique, and the personal stories are all different depending on what options you pick on character creation. I love how the different choices tell the same story but from different perspectives!

My urge to make a Sylvari Necro and/or Norn Theif is just... insatiable.

Or maybe Sylvari Mesmer, Char Necro, Norn Theif?

My mesmer is a Sylvari and I played a Sylvari Mesmer through the BWEs. Its fun. Mesmer fits very well with the mystical story of the Sylvari

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

same exact issue got my norn necro but also just starting to play charr thief alongside:) game is really an alt fans dream game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Falling to death, ouch!!! I was chasing someone down and they just launched off a very high cliff and plunged to thier death. I always love that.
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Mesmers feel like you have to work 10 times harder than the other classes and After having played the highly mobile thief to level 22 I just couldn't keep playing the Mesmer. Anyways, this game is easily one of the best mmo's that I have ever played.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Mesmers feel like you have to work 10 times harder than the other classes and After having played the highly mobile thief to level 22 I just couldn't keep playing the Mesmer. Anyways, this game is easily one of the best mmo's that I have ever played.

ohh Mesmers. I don't know about pve but in pvp man...they are a pain in the ass.

Along with the Guardian I would say its the hardest class to kill. And when you see a mesmer and a necro together and the sheer number of minions and fakes a 2v2 actually feels like a 2v10!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    As I adventure and find things, look ahead to what is around the corner, I feel like James Woods character in Family Guy. "Ooh! a piece of candy, ooh, a piece of candy"! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• StinkeyeStinkeye Member Posts: 2
    I worked 12 hours on Saturday and then I went to Osoyoos on vacation for six days. No head start for me...more of a hind teat start. I'm missing out on the first week but at least ill have a lot of wine to drink when I play.
    I nailed down some names before I left so that's something. Plant necro is waiting patienty for my return.
    I just hope GW can bring back my love for the mom. After star wars, star trek, rift, war hammer, lotr, wow, etc I long for some new play style and I hope this is it, or its back to tf2.
  • scy1987scy1987 Member Posts: 6

so now can we get a legi review? not done by someone who has been waiting for the game and have a pre order? you know a average gamer? atleast one that has the ballz to point out its flaws and how the game copies things from others? one that combines the good and te bad not just "OMG i played here are all the good....now go buy it!"

where r the cons? why does this game do so good? why are things it does being hailed as gamechangers when they have already been done? a honest joes review would be appreciated....

Originally posted by Stinkeye
    I worked 12 hours on Saturday and then I went to Osoyoos on vacation for six days. No head start for me...more of a hind teat start. I'm missing out on the first week but at least ill have a lot of wine to drink when I play.
    I nailed down some names before I left so that's something. Plant necro is waiting patienty for my return.
    I just hope GW can bring back my love for the mom. After star wars, star trek, rift, war hammer, lotr, wow, etc I long for some new play style and I hope this is it, or its back to tf2.

I REALLY hope thats a typo ;)

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by scy1987

so now can we get a legi review? not done by someone who has been waiting for the game and have a pre order? you know a average gamer? atleast one that has the ballz to point out its flaws and how the game copies things from others? one that combines the good and te bad not just "OMG i played here are all the good....now go buy it!"

where r the cons? why does this game do so good? why are things it does being hailed as gamechangers when they have already been done? a honest joes review would be appreciated....

You can google it, there has to be hundreds out there.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• MasoniclightMasoniclight Member Posts: 87
    Love this game.. unbelievable stuff! Open world, jump into events, helping others, personal stories, you can almost stay in your own starting zone for a LONG time! How cool is that?? I love every aspect! Great job to ALL the devs!

• StinkeyeStinkeye Member Posts: 2
    I'm on my phone! It auto corrected mmo to mom but the comment stands I won't love my mom if GW stinks!
  • Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159

I think the game is amazing, but I'll give one HUGE con and that's the grouping system.  One of the major selling points of the game was the ease with which you're supposed to be able to group up, but so far in my experience, it's been anything but easy.

I still find I'm in an overflow server when my wife is not, then we get into the same instance and then one of us gets booted to another.  It's been VERY annoying.  I don't mind soloing, but my wife is very much a social player who mostly wants to group up, and for someone like her it's almost been a game breaker.

I hope Anet gets this fixed ASAP!

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

You wont get that for a while here.  If anyone mentions cons they get called trolls or told they haven't played the game.

At least the OP mentioned the down servers........any other game and people would be crying about the failed launch. Lets hear about the cash shop and how much all of those charactor slots cost since people cant stick to one. Bank slots etc...