Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Metacridiots

Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

So I was reading some user review on metacritic, and I basically relearned why user reviews are generally completely unreliable.  I know that GW2 has some flaws...but just look at some of these quotes from negative reviews:

"Unfortunately this is about the same as Guild Wars 1 so not exactly sequel-worthy." 2/10

"The overflow system is a disgrace. PvE is ripped from Warhammer," 2/10

"It's supposed to be the second coming of Jesus Christ in gaming history. Instead we are left with a game, that tries to do innovative stuff, but unfortunately fail miserably. Once you're past all that shine and glimmer, you'll see the game for what it is: A good RPG. Nothing more, nothing less." 3/10 (a good RPG gets 3/10...really?)

"Mediocer graphics, buggy gameplay, server congestion, how can you seriously give this piece of cr** a good grade?" 0/10

"10/10 ? no game is worth 10/10 unless you're a fanboi, specially one with so many basic problems.. It's tries so much, taking the best bits of other games and molding them together but only manages to totally drop the ball. Same old generic fantasy world thats been seen countless times, cutesy WoWlite graphic's that while not bad scream childish." 0/10 

Really?

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Those seem legit *snicker*

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    There are statistical methods that could be used to get more accurate rating.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703

The hype generated by 'gw2 fanbois' before launch was huge and a lot of people got annoyed (god know why but hey that's human beings for you)

So all the 'haters' were out for revenge but hey unfortunately the game is great, so what can they do? Troll MMOs forums with posts like we can see here on MMORPG right now and post fake 'reviews' everywhere

pathetic. even more pathetic when they try to defend themselves with stuff like "I like the game but it has a lot of problems but you know I still care, even if I say it's shite"

• AzrigalAzrigal Member Posts: 1

Well thats certainly new, Video gamers being overly emotional over a video game rather than judging it for what its worth.

• scy1987scy1987 Member Posts: 6
    lol zthey use my review of the game...."ppl r hailing this game as the next comming" lolz....
  • redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

Usually metacritic isnt so generous with its ratings....

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

It is what it is. People think what they think.  Just don't let it bother you.

I don't know why it makes people so angry when others, whom they've never met, dislike the game they enjoy.  Who the hell cares.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Once again, the users of Metacritic prove why Metacritic shouldn't be used.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,171
    I totally agree with all of those reviews.

• jblahjblah Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Hmm.... They seemed legit when it was other games in the spotlight.

Playing- Guild Wars 2, SWTOR
    SWTOR Referral Link Get a free Server Transfer and lots of other free stuff for your SWTOR account! Works for both new and previous players.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    But it is a lot like a warhammer and I think its a good thing
  • AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I love how people use metacritic to prove why a game they dislike sucks, and then turn around and discredit it when their favorite game is being criticized on the very same site. Seems a tad hypocritical don't you think?

You know... despite the rabid fanboyism around here, some people actually don't like GW2. Shocking, I know.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Eh, it's painful to see but not surprising unfortunately. Say you took 5,000 people and put them into a gym and the tone was intended as casual conversation. Who would you hear the most? The few loud and obnoxious types being so for no good reason. Add now the fact they don't have people directly around them and they let to. Look at it as self medicating so they play nice with the rest of us :).
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by scy1987
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

[mod edit]

Did you even read the quotes I posted. It's not that the reviews are negative, it's that they are completely misinformed.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Metacritic... also known as... EA's special hangout after (or during) work!

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    I think it nicely counterbalances some of the OTT positive stuff we have been seeing of late.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by thexrated
    There are statistical methods that could be used to get more accurate rating.

It's an opinion poll. It's as accurate as it's going to get. You'd have to use something completely different to measure how good the game is.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ChristoooChristooo Member UncommonPosts: 86

HAHAH reading these reviews made me laugh out loud awkwardly loud <.< none of them know how to spell these 0's are an absolute joke

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

This is the fallback from all the hype. In The Secret World part of the forums and during the first month of its launch there were a LOT of people both here and in game blowing GW2's horn.

One thing especially was blasted with the TSW launch. No working bank...

You can see what is coming right? If you thought (be honest) that Funcom had dropped the ball with that (They had the same issue with Age of Conan which used the same engine including the design for the bank system) then... what about the missing bank in GW2?

Yet, if you read some of the glowing reviews on GW2, you can see them oddly skipping over that. One "live" gamespy I believe reviewer did mention it but was sure that considering how well they handled server login issues he was sure that the bank issue would be fixed soon and not to worry... btw, how are the european's enjoying the game RIGHT at this moment? Oh wait, none of them can log in again?

Fanboys (and god knows every game has them) really spoil the entire genre. In the single player game Dragon Age you don't get Skyrim fanboys running around you shouting how much this all sucks and how you should be playing a real game. But in multiplayer land, that happens.

And it causes resentment and counter fanboyism. 

For fun, read the post history off people who make posts like "game of the year surely". Ten to one they said the same thing in another game. God knows SWTOR had enough fanboy threads too. The game devs believe them and think they got a winner and then the game launches and it all falls apart.

Numberous stresstests were run, and yet, day one on restricted access and AGAIN on launch day, the login servers crap out.

So much for beta testing with fans who jump through hoops to get keys.

It is a decent game, pretty fun in a mindless sorta way (and I love mindless gaming when I am in the mood) but I don't see Blizzard being worried. Totally different game and play style.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,171
    Originally posted by Creslin321

why? cuz they game GW2 a bad review?

Apparently if you want to be hated and attacked just say "GW2 sucks" on this forums lolz

Did you even read the quotes I posted. It's not that the reviews are negative, it's that they are completely misinformed.

Not everything you posted was "misinformed"  some of them were just negative impressions.   Read reviews over any game and eventually you'll find something that seems downright "misinformed".  How many professional reviews have we seen where they ended up getting something completely wrong.   

• jblahjblah Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by Creslin321

why? cuz they game GW2 a bad review?

Apparently if you want to be hated and attacked just say "GW2 sucks" on this forums lolz

So this game has no bugs or server overflow issues? The trading post is working? There were no login issues? What was the misinformation that you were quoting as I think you forgot to put that in your initial post.

Playing- Guild Wars 2, SWTOR
    SWTOR Referral Link Get a free Server Transfer and lots of other free stuff for your SWTOR account! Works for both new and previous players.

• scy1987scy1987 Member Posts: 6
    i agree with thouse reviews also...as stated ppl r to hypnotized by GW2 and not actually looking at the game and reviewing it...cant wait till a MAJOR company does a review....
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Anubisan

It's not a problem with people not liking GW2, it's saying ludicrous things as the basis for their decision. They could be honest: "the hype surrounding it pissed me off so I'm giving it a bad score". They know how ridiculous that would sound though so they put things that those that don't know any better might buy. This really goes for any game though since it happens to every one.
  • seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Well user reviews are often written by people who haven't even played the game in question (happens to most games really) that's why user reviews below 3 and above 9 shouldn't be counted for any game. It's sad that you can't review the review, that way garbage reviews will be deleted.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums