Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P FTW - Already Spent 2 Months Subscription

MARTYB2KMARTYB2K Member Posts: 167

A couple of days in and i've already paid more than i would on 2 months subscription to other MMOs. F2P is definetly the way forward. I bought 1600 GEMS.

Used 600 for a extra Bank Slot and changed 800 into 2.5 Gold.

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by MARTYB2K
    A couple of days in and i've already paid more than i would on 2 months subscription to other MMOs. F2P is definetly the way forward. I bought 1600 GEMS.

In a pay to play mmorpg you would have ALL the content given to you for 2 months at that price.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• MARTYB2KMARTYB2K Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by Nitth

In a pay to play mmorpg you would have ALL the content given to you for 2 months at that price.

Yeah, i meant it's defiently the way forward for the software companies. :)

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

You are not a representation of everyone.

AION's F2P cash shop is constantly praised because of all the freedom (i agree), and yet, NCSoft is facing problems with much lower reveneu from the game.

Also, as Nitth said, i like P2P because with tha money i'd have all the game. But that's another topic for discussion.

Making these claims is simply ridiculous. There's advanatges and disadvanatges to all types of business models. There's sucessfull and failed P2P, F2P, Freemium, etc.

Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by MARTYB2K A couple of days in and i've already paid more than i would on 2 months subscription to other MMOs. F2P is definetly the way forward. I bought 1600 GEMS.   Used 600 for a extra Bank Slot and changed 800 into 2.5 Gold.
    Yeah, i meant it's defiently the way forward for the software companies. :)

hehe, Have to admit for a business its great!

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• OtashiOtashi Member UncommonPosts: 78

What the hell lol ? 800 gems for 2.5 gold ? I'm lvl 31 already have 2 gold without farming anything ...

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

You didn't need to spend it - you could have just used what is given to you. This is the key - it is all OPTIONAL. Your spending that much money is all on you.

All you had to do is buy the game and play it.

No sympathy here.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Fun to see ppl buy gems to make gold in-game. I am saving in-game money to get gems ;-)
  • Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185
    I've already spent at least 6 months worth of subs gettnig my account how I'd like it extra char slots, bag slots and bank slots. but now I have it how I like and realistically don't need to spend again ever. I'm sure I will though I like the fluff... also can you gift gems from outside the game as xmas is round the corner
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I'm sure your going to get flamed to no end for your comments.  I have been tempted to buy a inventory unlock but unless I wanted to grind out crafting just don't see a need for gold right now.  Maybe for PVP?

I do have a bunch of chests without keys to open them.  I have seen exactly one key which came from a quest reward of a story quest.  I won't say it's STO crappy but the chest to key drop ratio is far below 1:1.

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Remeber you also have to pay for each content expansion. I'm pretty sure they won't let much of that out free. I'm just waiting to trade my vials of week blood for gems :>
  • Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Reizla
    Fun to see ppl buy gems to make gold in-game. I am saving in-game money to get gems ;-)

THIS

But hey.. spend all the money you want. More money, more content and better support so have at it.

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Member Posts: 237
    Originally posted by udon

I'm sure your going to get flamed to no end for your comments.  I have been tempted to buy a inventory unlock but unless I wanted to grind out crafting just don't see a need for gold right now.  Maybe for PVP?

I do have a bunch of chests without keys to open them.  I have seen exactly one key which came from a quest reward of a story quest.  I won't say it's STO crappy but the chest to key drop ratio is far below 1:1.

True, but the chests themselves have a very high chance of dropping a second key, so with one key you might unlock every chest in your inventory (I've done this a few times now).

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by tyfon
    Remeber you also have to pay for each content expansion. I'm pretty sure they won't let much of that out free. I'm just waiting to trade my vials of week blood for gems :>

Yea because all that FREE content in GW1 was a fluke.  Look at the history.  You're spouting the same gibberish throughout your post history and is showing your colors.  If you don't like the game, don't play.  Why bother wasting time reading forums for games you don't have an interest in....

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by botrytis

You didn't need to spend it - you could have just used what is given to you. This is the key - it is all OPTIONAL. Your spending that much money is all on you.

All you had to do is buy the game and play it.

No sympathy here.

Well, some of us, me included believe in supporting Anet. Not a big deal to some, if you don't, you don't! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

He has all the content open for him. Also, anything that can be bought with gems can be bought with in game gold. Just saying since there seems to be some kind of false assumptions.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Really? Last time I checked the vast majority of P2P mmo's have a cash shop with content they DON'T give you for 'free'.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Didn't pay anything and don't really plan to pay much either. It's your choice if you buy gems to convert into gold...

Only thing I really see the use of is an extra bank tab, the basic one is very limited.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

Originally posted by Preacher26
    Originally posted by Reizla

THIS

But hey.. spend all the money you want. More money, more content and better support so have at it.

Not gonna spend extra money already on GW2. I just paid (AHUM, 3 months ago already) €55 on it. I might buy some gems ouf-of-game later on if I REALLY want  something. But so far there's nothing on my wish-list yet...

And as others said already, we also gotta buy the expansions, and if ANet follows the GW way, those will add extra char shots as well. Not to mention, an anniversary banking slot too some day..?

• Ethos86Ethos86 Member Posts: 124

I have spend 50 euro in the shop. Because I wanted, not because I needed.

I still have plenty of gems left but here's what I think:

- the keys to open the chests are too expensive, in the end most chests only had some transformation tonics in it and maybe some kind of buff/boost for a short amount of time

- i do love the bag space unlocks with gems and the bank account storrage, i would have enough space without it (with crafted bags that can contain more items) but it's just handy (especially for cooking profession)

- i transfered a little bit of gems into gold (few silver coins) because i wanted to go crafting and needed to buy more mats from the NPC and i didn't felt like waiting untill i collected enough gold

- i think i might come to the point of spending gem's on mini pets since i like to collect everything (if the pets aren't unlockable in other ways... i don't know)

- i might spend gems on armor skins too (later), but i think i will mainly use them for town clothes

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

Buyed yesterday too 1600 gem:) needed more Bank room :p

Dont mind pay, they have done so well game.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by cinos

I used a little over 2 gold, all earned in game, and exchanged it for 600 gems. Unlocked my first bank slot completely for free. :D

If this is the future of cash shops then consider me onboard. :p

Already is for 2 years or so... Turbine introduced it in a different way that you can grind the cash-shop points from deeds (couldn't care about it with life-time sub...). But yeah, if this is the future of cash shop games where you buy the game and can buy in & out of game the cash shop currency, then I'm on board as well.

Originally posted by Kuinn

Originally posted by MARTYB2K A couple of days in and i've already paid more than i would on 2 months subscription to other MMOs. F2P is definetly the way forward. I bought 1600 GEMS.   Used 600 for a extra Bank Slot and changed 800 into 2.5 Gold.

He has all the content open for him. Also, anything that can be bought with gems can be bought with in game gold. Just saying since there seems to be some kind of false assumptions.

Seems like there is superficial locks. How many character slots do you get at the start in gw2 4? 5? then you can additional slots right?

In a pay to play mmorpg ALL those slots are open straight away within the monthly fee, coupled with other things like bag space complexly "unlocked"

Its all personal preference, But it seems to me pay to play is more "bang for buck" then most f2p or hybrid systems such as b2p.

Edit;
    (you dont need to defend gw2 with your responses, Im talking about different business models not the game specificity)

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

Well having the whole game in a f2p is always going to be drastically more expensive than just buying a p2p game.

The only thing that i find interesting is that with this game they are making you buy the box for a f2p game, and im sure for regular expansions as well.

Oh...this game just launched...cash shops are ALWAYS fair reasonable and balanced early on, its only later that they slowly slip in p2w items.  Remember games are a business, and a business is set to make as much money as possible.  They have the ability to really sell anything since the community accepts its an item mall game (with a p2p AAA box sale every expansion as well)

Im sorry if this wasnt a glowing point of veiw, i know most people are still blinded by the hype on this one to think clearly about the game.

since it just launched and this is this years overhype game...permission granted to spout vile hatred towards me for not following this years mmo messiah...

• heavy3p0heavy3p0 Member Posts: 16
    Yeah. If this was P2P you would have those bank slots for $15 a month! You would have had to give an extra $15 to the gold farmers for the 2.5 gold you were too lazy to earn though.