Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dungeons Ascalon Catacomb

PoufPouf Member Posts: 341

Ok, first SPOILER ALERT

Now, I don't know how many tried it soo far, but i'm a gw2 fanboy since i started the beta, and god I love WvW and Map Pve Completion, BUT I tried ascalon catacombs yesterday and it was TERRIBLE at most, we were 5 30+ so a full level 30 grp. 

Traps/Aoe/Pattern bosses are really easy, i'm not saying that, if you can dodge the archer spell properly it's easy shit. I'm speaking more about trash mobs, when they come in pack of 3 their auto attacks 2-3 shot you + there are aoe's everywhere, It seems like it's just normal to die 3-4 times and get ressed.

There is a boss wich is 2 bosses, an elementalist and a mesmer, you need to "split" them, how are we suppose to do that without aggro. And hmm the elementalist if it targets you, you are gonna die, she does instant lighning and you will end up dying. We noticed the rock was a stun on them, so we started to 5 man throw rock at both to CC them to the max, even there they were landing some spell that were killing us, and all we had to do was die, go back in and continue since they do not reset.

This is not what i call challenge, it's just chaotic and awfull. There is a big part of me really sad inside and I hope i'll hear good news

Comments

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

maybe people just need to learn to use there class a bit more, or learn how to use the extra damage and effects from combo fields and stuff.......dont start whining because you cant win straight up the first time....you just need better tactics :)

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    For me, this is one of the best parts of the game..... the difficulty.

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341

I dropped bows of ice with my elementalist so we get slows and CC stun for like 8 seconds, we used my earth elementalist, the engeneer was dropping a lot of buffes we were running in circles the best we could to kite em.

What  i'm saying is that yes we will learn some, but no way a normal group that have 1 guy midly bad can even do it. We completed it, but it was more than a pain

Edit : It is not difficult at all, it's damn easy, impossible to Wipe because of ally res and quick res and mobs doesnt reset. But it can't be completed without plenty of deaths

IT is more a rotation of who dies and who stay alive, as long as someone is either alive or downed the fight goes on

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    well if dieing doesn't reset a fight than we can't realy say it's defficult
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Pouf

Ok, first SPOILER ALERT

Now, I don't know how many tried it soo far, but i'm a gw2 fanboy since i started the beta, and god I love WvW and Map Pve Completion, BUT I tried ascalon catacombs yesterday and it was TERRIBLE at most, we were 5 30+ so a full level 30 grp. 

Traps/Aoe/Pattern bosses are really easy, i'm not saying that, if you can dodge the archer spell properly it's easy shit. I'm speaking more about trash mobs, when they come in pack of 3 their auto attacks 2-3 shot you + there are aoe's everywhere, It seems like it's just normal to die 3-4 times and get ressed.

There is a boss wich is 2 bosses, an elementalist and a mesmer, you need to "split" them, how are we suppose to do that without aggro. And hmm the elementalist if it targets you, you are gonna die, she does instant lighning and you will end up dying. We noticed the rock was a stun on them, so we started to 5 man throw rock at both to CC them to the max, even there they were landing some spell that were killing us, and all we had to do was die, go back in and continue since they do not reset.

This is not what i call challenge, it's just chaotic and awfull. There is a big part of me really sad inside and I hope i'll hear good news

Haven't done it yet but wasn't real impressed with the dungeon from the videos I have seen. Explorable modes seem a bit more interesting though.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Yea i hope, i'm still playing and I will go till cap and more for sure, but as a PVE guy this  is something who downed me a lot.

Maybe it was "tested" with people level 80 downed to 30 so they have more traits and such. I was full fire/lighning, so damage and damage, this is really strong in outside world. Maybe i should have tried earth/water for vitality and thoughness, but it's still bad if you are stuck to that for dungeons. 

We will see

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

I just did a complete run of the story mode of this dungeon last night with a PUG.   The double boss fight you are talking about was definitely the hardest encounter in the entire place I think.   The dungeon was challenging in the fact that your level is brought down to 30 if you are higher, and you have to be bale to use the dodge mechanic effectively to survive a lot of the boss fights.  The one thing I didn't like was the fact that we found ourselves bind rushing a lot of the bosses over and over untilw e wore them down to beat them.

All in all though it was a challenging experience, and I ended up getting 12,000 exp and a pimp hat for my Asura Ranger...

Exactly my though, and bosses are way easier than some pulls of dual ele/mesmer. All bosses are more easy than trash except for that dual boss wich is a corpse run

Edit :  I was in a PUG too, i'm just saying noone was bad

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Paragus1

I just did a complete run of the story mode of this dungeon last night with a PUG.   The double boss fight you are talking about was definitely the hardest encounter in the entire place I think.   The dungeon was challenging in the fact that your level is brought down to 30 if you are higher, and you have to be bale to use the dodge mechanic effectively to survive a lot of the boss fights.  The one thing I didn't like was the fact that we found ourselves bind rushing a lot of the bosses over and over untilw e wore them down to beat them.

All in all though it was a challenging experience, and I ended up getting 12,000 exp and a pimp hat for my Asura Ranger...

You know this seems to be what everyone is having to do. Least ones I heard talk about it or watch videos. The Lovers definitely seems to be prone for this. When combat revs up with them the combat music should be The Benny Hill theme song.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    When combat revs up with them the combat music should be The Benny Hill theme song.

Lovei t

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185

Loved Ascalonian Catacombs!!

The trash was annoying at first, it was all about prioritising who attacks first to draw the initial hits and taking the appropriate utility skills. You do  have to actively res people and do it quickly its expected of the group at some point someone is going to go down.

onto bosses all except the lovers were cake source.

in terms of keeping the lovers apart this was relatively easy, however there is still a lot of damage output a big problem is the mesmers shield that reflects attacks which can prevent you from managing his placement when its up you have to move to the elementalist.

Our technique was to focus the elementalist down whilst 1-2 people looked after the mesmer. one of the best methods was a thief with trip wire and scorpion wire to pull him away into a corner and knock him down. there were plenty of other techniques too and the boulders in the room are there to cause kockback and knockdown on them as well. 

More fights like this please.

Well, I guess I hate PVE with certain death
    Well, I guess I hate PVE with certain death

we weren't really dieing much it was more downed state and a revive but this decreased a lot. Also we found out that keeping the npc's alive was a big help. at the start if ryhtloc died we would just leave him there but trying to keep him up and in the later part eir too really helps reduce your deaths.

Yea us too, you kinda need someone who's job is almost just to bring up downed people when trash is 3mobs. but meh, like i say I didn't like that at all, i'll keep playing and see where it goes
  • SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    My first attempt ended with us dieing horribly on trash and the twin bosses. I then went and specced range with max utility combo field spells. Next attempt we cleared it without anyone dieing. The difference was huge! It's all about combo fields and cc. On average a given boss or trash mob should be un-cc'd at most 20% of the time I feel.
    Yep, going full CC and earth elemental, and frost slows is the best way to go. Anyone dying on twin boss is REALLY doubful. But hey!
  • TenjouTenjou Member Posts: 20

As you mentioned you need to use rocks on "split/pair boss", but not so much to interupt but control enviroment ie. keep them apart. Second thing is you need to watch for NPC animations, as you can dodge most of the attacks pretty easy if your timing is right.

Yea, I know that one day Pro groups will manage to do it with few to no death, but it's sooo far ahead from "casual people". And the trouble the dungeon gives to everyone and the fact that there is no LFG, finding a full pro group may be a hard time later on..

We will see who knows

• TenjouTenjou Member Posts: 20

Agree, that story mode could be a bit easier(but im alright with current difficulty) but explorable mode very hard without nerfs.

Probably after a month groups will be pretty skilled with dodging and using abilities according to situations.

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566
    I'm only level 26! As soon as i hit 30 i'm straight off to the entrance to look for a party. Looking forward to it.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    did AC  30 min ago, very hard when 3 or more trash mob attack. Bosses where easy imo. just got 1 yellow hat.... not really good exp either. Not gonna do it again.
    Originally posted by Arskaaa
    did AC  30 min ago, very hard when 3 or more trash mob attack. Bosses where easy imo. just got 1 yellow hat.... not really good exp either. Not gonna do it again.

Exactly my though

on the trash mobs one thing we didn';t do as well was have a pure mitigation or avoidance spec'd class hit the mobs first of all. whilst there is no hard tanking in GW2 having a more resiliant character attack first is going to help avoid those early drops.

doesn't hae to be a guardian or a classic tank, rangers with pets shared damage or a thief blinding them would work.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Ok, first SPOILER ALERT

I've done this story mode 3 times now and guided other people through it. If you run in with no communication, yes, it'll be chaos. But, you are dead wrong overall.

The lovers: The rocks knock the lovers apart as well as stun them, half way through the fight they teleport ot each other and stay together on purpose, it's part of the encounter... there is nothing you can do about it at that point, you just have to survive. Later you can split them again. The two times I knew what I was doing we did this successfully and we were in full control. All the lovers attacks can be dodged.

As for trash mobs.. stop sheeping each other. That's means stop standing in the same place as each other all the time. Melees, one in front, one round back. If you think you are gunna melee without dodging and just beat on them then you are gunna die. Melee have to strafe, dodge in and out.. leave the fight for a bit and then come back.. and watch for healing circles and stay in the spirit/banner/etc. areas. All ranged people should not be next to each other unless an aoe boon circle is down.. even then, you don't have to stay in the circle. The circles 'buff' you for a few seconds, you can leave a healing circle and you will still have the regen it gives for a few seconds. There is no excuse for more than one person to get nuked by a single attack.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Fun Dungeon but very hard.   Like everyone is saying the 3 trash mobs at once was nearly wiping the PuG I was in.  Granted it was the first time I really had to use the dodge in combat so I died alot.  Soloing I have no use for the dodge skill.   I can tap tank up to 3 equal level mobs at the same time solo, not a chance in hell in this dungeon.

The bosses were not too hard besides the lovers, they are a pain in the ass and the little ghost minions that are half invis where giving us tons of problems.  

We did what some of you are talking about, die, rez, run back in do as much damage as you can, rise repeat.

Overall I like the dungeon run, it was hard but I think it is geared to above 5 people even though 5 is the max you can have.  Maybe as more people (me included) learn how dodge works and how to use it.

Sooner or Later