Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTB: Basic Feature of MMOs..../follow

FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Wife & I had to interchangeably go afk to deal with our new puppy, or work called about a downed server, or her boss called about a bad router, or 90 other god blasted things kept pulling us away over the weekend that seems to be normal operation for us here. However, without a /follow so the other can lead the afk towards our next objective while we do 'X' task is making it horrible to do anything with each other.

The hell ArenaNet >:|?

I give you half a chance and you spit in my eyes!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Submit feedback.

They probably turned it off intentionally though if you think about it.

Potential for abuse is too great?

AFK DE grinding?

Turn a buff/debuff skill to autocast, /follow someone - get participation from auto skill use, profit.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Wife & I had to interchangeably go afk to deal with our new puppy, or work called about a downed server, or her boss called about a bad router, or 90 other god blasted things kept pulling us away over the weekend that seems to be normal operation for us here. However, without a /follow so the other can lead the afk towards our next objective while we do 'X' task is making it horrible to do anything with each other.

I thought that was an odd design choice for about a minute and then realized what the AFK DE trains would look like if such a mechanic existed.

I'm happy with the no /follow decision.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• xavurexavure Member UncommonPosts: 24
    You 'd better submit that to Arena Net and not here....your odds of seeing it in a further update will be increased :P
  • FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Submit feedback.

AFK DE grinding?

Turn a buff/debuff skill to autocast, /follow someone - get participation from auto skill use, profit.

That isn't a justification for removing a very key feature for any RPG MMO that uses tab targeting :|. Their system should be developed around the idea of nixxing this kind of behavior to begin with from being beneficial.

Also, their "Feedback" function isn't being read atm. They're literally being bogged down so hard their feedback form is being spammed :P.

If they had an official forums i'd post there, but they don't :(! Hopeing that they read this site :)!

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
    I think they also forgot to add a way to let you split a a stack of items in your inventory...or I just can't figure it out.   Not sure.
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I thought that was an odd design choice for about a minute and then realized what the AFK DE trains would look like if such a mechanic existed.

You can't afk in most DE events. They require participation, additionally I've yet to play a half decent MMO that allowed out-of-party /follow.

Again, not a justification for removing it :|!

• EryemilEryemil Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Paragus1
    I think they also forgot to add a way to let you split a a stack of items in your inventory...or I just can't figure it out.   Not sure.

Alt + Drag

Originally posted by Eryemil
    Originally posted by Paragus1

Alt + Drag

What he said :3

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

^^this^^ these follow commands come from games like DAOC where you see trains of people not playing the game.....if you have no time or dont even like walking in a game then just dont login imho.

If you need to look at your kid/dog/cat then go AFK for fiew minutes......the follow function would be a potential exploit imho (see DAOC where people just tag along) when it comes to leeching from DE's.

But thats all just mho.

ps: get a cat instead of a dog.......just kidding.......glad to see btw that you are taking time to raise the puppy well :)

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

Your upset because you cant afk while you and your wife take turns piggybacking each other around to events...

I mean I have a RL too but I dont feel bad for you, at all.

Follows not needed, if you have to afk log out... then people actually playing can get out of the overflow :P

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by Preacher26

Your upset because you cant afk while you and your wife take turns piggybacking each other around to events...

Follows not needed, if you have to afk log out... then people actually playing can get out of the overflow :P

amen bro :)

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    OP I agree with you. However you cannot say shit about GW2 that is in anyway negative as the fanbois will come out in droves.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Submit feedback.

AFK DE grinding?

that's exactly why they turned it off. They didn't want people to group with a main guy go afk have that guy run around participating in DE's and giving everyone the rewards (copper tho) still free rewards and xp. one can do that in group.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by oubers
    Originally posted by Preacher26

amen bro :)

amen 2 point 0

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Submit feedback.

AFK DE grinding?

that's exactly why they turned it off. They didn't want people to group with a main guy go afk have that guy run around participating in DE's and giving everyone the rewards (copper tho) still free rewards and xp. one can do that in group.

if you just follow someone around afk, you are not going to get any participation. And even if that what the case, there you have your solution to the problem rather than remove a useful command. Further, if you could get participation by just being in the area people could park their characters strategically and simply hoover up the karma.

All die, so die well.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

A.Net already stated that there is not AFK'ing in an area where an event is going on. You would need to be in a safe place to do that. You actually have to be a part of the events in order to get credit/exp for them. Just AFKing there won't get you anything. That is the way the game is designed. Sorry you can't AFK and get credit for doing nothing - that is the way it is.

This game is also designed so you can't power level either - which is another great feature.