Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Firefall: Spotlighting the Awesomeness

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During Gamescom, we had our team check out Red 5 Studios' Firefall to see why it is that many hardcore testers are "filled with sunshine and unicorns" due to the latest update. It's an amazing transformation. Read on!

The guys responsible for Firefall didn't just make a few alterations. They sort of reassembled certain components from scratch. Heck, they even removed an entire class. The Medic's been removed in favor of the Bio-Tech. According to what we heard at Gamescom, the Bio-Tech battleframe will still permit you to heal. However, it will also make healing considerably more tactical. Why the shift? One of the biggest reasons is because Red 5 is attempting to make Firefall a little more eSports-friendly. It seems like one of the biggest problems was the fact that there was little that distinguished a great player from an average player.

Read more of Cassandra Khaw's Firefall: Spotlighting the Awesomeness.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I don't get why they cater to esports, I don't know anyone that even bothers with that junk.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    I don't get why they cater to esports, I don't know anyone that even bothers with that junk.

I don't know one single person IRL that plays WoW.

Point?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    I bother with that junk - there.. now ya know someone.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Just got a beta invite email today. Didn't trust the email sender, but I checked on the website directly and turns out it was legit.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Just got a beta invite email today. Didn't trust the email sender, but I checked on the website directly and turns out it was legit.

Dunno, but they wanted everything from your name and adress, to the point of wanting a blood test and social secuirty number also with their closed beta sign ups not that long ago, heh...

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Originally posted by zellmer
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Dunno, but they wanted everything from your name and adress, to the point of wanting a blood test and social secuirty number also with their closed beta sign ups not that long ago, heh...

only wanted my email address.....I've been in beta for 5-6 months or so....

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

I'm digging this game engine and play wise. It obviously still needs to be fleshed out still but the mechanics and engine are pretty good. Love the crafting and battleframe building. For a ftp it is shaping up to be amazing.

Can't wait to see where they go with it....

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442
    Originally posted by Alphamojo

Looking again, yeah, now it's just sign up an e-mail.  Before it was give your name, adress, and I think even phone number though to the point where it turned into "I'm not THAT interested in it..."

• CypeqCypeq Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by zellmer
    Originally posted by Alphamojo

Looking again, yeah, now it's just sign up an e-mail.  Before it was give your name, adress, and I think even phone number though to the point where it turned into "I'm not THAT interested in it..."

Since when do you have to supply real information ? Can't you Just be Zaphod Bleeblebronx ? I find this funny trick that most ppl when asked by survey or registration form will provide their real data. In most ocassions they just need that for marketing and nothing else. Think people when you are not spending money most valuble thing you carry onto the internet is your personal information.

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253
    well I finaly got a beta key ... but does not run under wine ....
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Likely because the esport angle is being pushed by someone either in management or with their ear. I've seen that countless times. Someone in power is a zealot for a certain theme, or mode of play, and because of studio politics, thats the direction the game goes.  It remains to be seen what impact this will have on the over all game. 

What I'm hoping, is that they don't allow this zeal for esport PvP, to drive the main focus of the game in a direction thats going to badly niche the game.  That would seriously limit its profit potential. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • rexbutlerrexbutler Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by haplo602
    well I finaly got a beta key ... but does not run under wine ....

Most games designed for Windows don't run under wine as well as they do in Windows, sad reality with wine.

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235

This game seems to get a lot of love, but I tried the beta and it's just meh... When playing it mostly comes down to zerging. Sorta CoD singleplayer, because, well, it's a shooter. The PvP matches are running around and zerging whatever you see. Only difference is you have to aim and have ammo now.

Also this isn't doable as a sniper with at most average skills. From personal experience I can say that either you have to make a headshot and hit a player another time, in which he either hides or gets up close (insane moving speed, 3d movement, flying with jetpacks) it's impossible to get solo kills. If you don't make the headshot you're off even worse.

I played a total of 3 hours before I uninstalled the game in frustration. I'll stick to Battlefield and Team Fortress for shooting action, because firefall just feels even twitchier than a COD game...

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    This game is really shaping up.