Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good...until combat. Dumbed down so much.

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Combat feels more dumbed down than it was in DCU.

Why? It isn't because you aren't standing still and using strategic key pressing (which is mentally challenging, and why I like it so much)...but...

Even DCU (DC Universe) had mana and stamina. In GW2...what happened to the stamina and mana bar? You press the one key over and over and over...there is no strategy. It doesn't matter what weapon(s) I have equipped, I just kill everything by pressing one key. On top of that, unlike other MMOs (like DCU) where this is possible...I don't even have to worry about stamina or mana. Which EVERY MMO has. This isn't even a real MMO. There is just no strategy to the combat. It has been dumbed down so much.

Anyone else find they really miss the stamina/mana bar? At least that would add strategy, instead of hitting the one key repeatedly.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• Thornz2000Thornz2000 Member Posts: 135

GW2 is GW2, its not DCU.

I think they did it this way to 86 the down time.

The world we know is going away http://www.graystatemovie.com/
    Look up Agenda 21 as well.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

yeah, but I only used DCU has a example because it was the most dumbed down MMO I ever played. GW2 isn't nearly that bad, but combat is sure worse.

Every MMO, even the most dumbed down MMO, has stamina/mana. You can make it regen fast or something...but at least make it where you aren't standing still and hitting the 1 key, over and over and over.

(edit: Small typo fix)

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by TheScavenger
    Combat feels more dumbed down than it was in DCU. Why? It isn't because you aren't standing still and using strategic key pressing (which is mentally challenging, and why I like it so much)...but... Even DCU (DC Universe) had mana and stamina. In GW2...what happened to the stamina and mana bar? You press the one key over and over and over...there is no strategy. It doesn't matter what weapon(s) I have equipped, I just kill everything by pressing one key. On top of that, unlike other MMOs (like DCU) where this is possible...I don't even have to worry about stamina or mana. Which EVERY MMO has. This isn't even a real MMO. There is just no strategy to the combat. It has been dumbed down so much. Anyone else find they really miss the stamina/mana bar? At least that would add strategy, instead of hitting the one key repeatedly.

Maybe of MMOs of old. But pretty much all modern MMOs have no need for Energy/Rage/Mana what have you...You still spam buttons endlessly.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    OP, what is the highest level character you have?

• vardarvardar Member Posts: 282
    Totally agree, its just 1 big button mashing, thats it, dunno how people go crazy and say its totally awsome? not quiet sure if its there first MMO or second, but it takes alot of skill to run around and button mash?? heh, i guess it does, lol,  my damn wrists hurt so much from pounding on my keyboard, and its very repititious, mashing the same buttons over and over and over......real fun...
  • teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

That 'one key repeatedly' is autoattack, and you don't have to hit it repeatedly.

The startegy is in managing your other abilities, which have cooldowns, and your second weapon set as well.  

The number of people I've revived in the last two days seems to indicate combat isnt as dumbed down as op likes to think it is.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

wait til you get to a higher level. if you can kill something by hitting just one button, without any skill, in zones for lvl 15+... you're probably batman. (unless you're referring to times when there's 20 people whaling on the same beastie in which case yes, you can just stand there and spam one key. it's more fun, not to mention more helpful, if you don't though.)

• RanyrRanyr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    You all should look into the combo system.
    Originally posted by heartless

I got to level 10, before realizing I didn't like the combat at all. Usually I know if I like combat or the game within 10 levels of a MMO.

Like in WoW, I loved the combat right off the bat. Got pets right in the beginning as a hunter and warlock. Paladin smashed everything in its path right at level 1. Warrior rushed enemiees. And it only became better when there was so many abilities just at level 10. Like as a warrior at level 10, I had so many abilities to choose from.

Or a better example (because its newer). At level 1 as a Jedi Consular in SWTOR...I had so many amazing abilities (comparitevly), and just after the first area...I had so much strategy in the combat. There wasn't just pressing one key over and over.

Not to say GW2 is bad and I don't like it. Just combat isn't its strong suit. Guild Wars (the first one) was a lot better, even if it wasn't filled with many hotbars of abilities.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

10?!

Come on OP.

Get deep into the game, 30+, then you'll realize why people like it.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Combat feels more dumbed down than it was in DCU.

Why? It isn't because you aren't standing still and using strategic key pressing (which is mentally challenging, and why I like it so much)...but...

Even DCU (DC Universe) had mana and stamina. In GW2...what happened to the stamina and mana bar? You press the one key over and over and over...there is no strategy. It doesn't matter what weapon(s) I have equipped, I just kill everything by pressing one key. On top of that, unlike other MMOs (like DCU) where this is possible...I don't even have to worry about stamina or mana. Which EVERY MMO has. This isn't even a real MMO. There is just no strategy to the combat. It has been dumbed down so much.

Anyone else find they really miss the stamina/mana bar? At least that would add strategy, instead of hitting the one key repeatedly.

Youre doing it wrong. Yeah early on you can get by juts mashing a button or 2, but youre going to die... a lot, if you dont manage your skills properly later on, and especially in pvp.

Stamina and Mana arent used in every MMO, and thats got absolutely nothing to do with wether game is an MMO or not.Theyre just forms of resource/skill management, just like the cooldowns on your skills are in GW2. The simpler skills have little to no cooldown (just like low Mana usage skills) and usually the stronger/more effective CC skills have longer cooldowns (just like high Mana skills). Theyre both just different methods of limiting your skill usage so that you need to manage them well or be stuck without being able to use them when you need them.

BTW, Thief does have Initiave, which is kind of like stamina/mana usage. Different skills cost different amounts of Inititiave and it regens slowly over time, or through the use of special skills to regain some.

Anyway keep mashing that 1 button, im sure people in PvP will enjoy the free points.

Originally posted by GamerUntouch

10?!

Come on OP.

Get deep into the game, 30+, then you'll realize why people like it.

yeah, every MMO I can tell before level 10 if I like combat or not. WoW gave me tons of stuff before level 10, and TONS of stuff at level 10. Same with SWTOR and a lot of other MMOs.

It isn't the worst combat in a MMO though, it is just really dumbed down. No mana or stamina...the staple of all RPGs is missing. Can't get more dumbed down than that. Even DCU, they made it where it regenned fast...but you still had to manage it.

No, you really can't because mobs start to actually use strategies besides just "attack".

I got to level 10, before realizing I didn't like the combat at all. Usually I know if I like combat or the game within 10 levels of a MMO.

Like in WoW, I loved the combat right off the bat. Got pets right in the beginning as a hunter and warlock. Paladin smashed everything in its path right at level 1. Warrior rushed enemiees. And it only became better when there was so many abilities just at level 10. Like as a warrior at level 10, I had so many abilities to choose from.

Or a better example (because its newer). At level 1 as a Jedi Consular in SWTOR...I had so many amazing abilities (comparitevly), and just after the first area...I had so much strategy in the combat. There wasn't just pressing one key over and over.

Not to say GW2 is bad and I don't like it. Just combat isn't its strong suit. Guild Wars (the first one) was a lot better, even if it wasn't filled with many hotbars of abilities.

nononononononononono!!!! the game doesn't even get going until level 11!!! please go back, with your favorite class, and play to level 20. please! then you'll have a major trait (or two minors), and two skill slots. level 10 and under is crap. 11 is where it gets going. seriously. please go back, get to level 20. you'll be glad you gave it another shot.

edit: also the low level mobs are lousy. i fought a level 25 veteran wolf thing solo. it was insanity. i still can't believe i won.

Not 11, it starts going at around 15 - 20.

You eventually NEED to learn your weapons, you probably don't know how they work too well and are just hitting buttons when they come off cooldown.

It isn't effective at all, but it'll work. Not in the higher level zones though.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    What did you expect OP, they dumbed it down for the masses and it was nothing more than a zergfest button masher. GW2 makes me realize how much more of a great game the original was. 

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Citalkay
    Lawl at all the mad fanbois who wasted £60

Lawl didn't waste one thing Sir. The game is addictive and fun! :) Huge and wonderful graphics. Battle system is intuitive and the WvWvW is the best. The game has already paid for itself. lawl

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542

Here is the good news. The game is F2P so you can come back whenever you like.

Here is the bad news. The game just gets going at level 53. Make sure you get to level 53 before you judge the game. Nobody enjoys the first 52 levels. Comon man.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

I like that it's more action focused some don't and that's cool but it is what it is. If your only using one attack then your gimping yourself and missing all the fun of mixing it up. With the hammer I have some vicious attacks but if I only used the 1 key I wouldn't know that. I am glad to finally see more action in my combat  with more recent games and less of the dice roll style of old. Even if you could get away with just using the 1 button (which won't work outside the zerg or group to pick up your slack) what fun is that.

I challenge you to stand there spamming the 1 key alone and see how that goes..... ;)

Originally posted by GamerUntouch

Not 11, it starts going at around 15 - 20.

You eventually NEED to learn your weapons, you probably don't know how they work too well and are just hitting buttons when they come off cooldown.

It isn't effective at all, but it'll work. Not in the higher level zones though.

11 is the doorway. 15/20 is your first steps through it. i'm really just going off of my own feelings of "this is alright" under level 11, then being "oh wow this is going to get fantastic" after.

Originally posted by Varking

Here is the good news. The game is F2P so you can come back whenever you like.

Here is the bad news. The game just gets going at level 53. Make sure you get to level 53 before you judge the game. Nobody enjoys the first 52 levels. Comon man.

i can't tell if you're being silly or if something interesting actually happens at 53....

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Originally posted by DaezAster

I like that it's more action focused some don't and that's cool but it is what it is. If your only using one attack then your gimping yourself and missing all the fun of mixing it up. With the hammer I have some vicious attacks but if I only used the 1 key I wouldn't know that. I am glad to finally see more action in my combat  with more recent games and less of the dice roll style of old. Even if you could get away with just using the 1 button (which won't work outside the zerg or group to pick up your slack) what fun is that.

I challenge you to stand there spamming the 1 key alone and see how that goes..... ;)

I don't think he literally means spamming one button, more like mindlessly pressing the skill buttons without no thought of what you are doing. I think that would be more accurate.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

By level 10 you can get one of each weapon type, plus then you unlock your second ability slot.  You have 50+ abilities to choose from by level 10 in GW2.

oh and try the thief, op. they don't have cool downs, but their skills use up a third resource (initiative).