Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If i loved the engineer in warhammer online, will i enjoy the one here?

shenfreyshenfrey Member UncommonPosts: 114
As topic states i loved the class in war, how different are the two and is there fun to be had with the engineer in this game? Thanks guys.

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by shenfrey
    As topic states i loved the class in war, how different are the two and is there fun to be had with the engineer in this game? Thanks guys.

Not comparable. Due to game mechanics, combat, smoothness of animations and the general uniqueness of the game you simply can't compare the two. 

Though I love my engineer in GW2 lol 

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

I've played both.  I much preferred Warhammer's version.  Not to say GW2's version is awful, just not nearly as fun nor as well rounded.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    I played an engineer in WAR and that prompted me to try an engineer in the first GW2 beta weekend.  I enjoyed that, so I made one my main now the game's gone live. It's been some years since I played WAR now so I can't really compare the two that well but the GW2 version has turrets, bombs, mines, greandes etc, which is was what I was expecting. Great fun.
  • NewmoonNewmoon Member UncommonPosts: 126

Did you play WoW? Remember the class affectionately called the totem crapper class? Yep. I still love it and don't care. I have 3 turrets out at any given time, then swap to flamethrower for the next fight, then grenades, or mines,  or kegs of explosives. It's a blast- pun intended.

If you go into it knowing that you are littering the landscape with shrapnel and corpses, you'll love it. However, turrets come in healing flavor (sound familiar?), aoe damage flavor (again familiar), flame and bleed (familliiiiaaarrr) and rocket launcher turrets- ok, that's new... oh yeah, I have the option of a net turret too, but don't use it (yeah, familiar).

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Love my engineer. In spvp, pve, and wvwvw. Always seems like I'm doing something extremely useful. Turrets aren't just pesky dmg dealing towers. They are a force to reckon with especially if the enemy thinks they can ignore them and go straight to u. You can defend spots well but you can also be extremely mobile if you want.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• Thornz2000Thornz2000 Member Posts: 135

Engineer is FUN.

The grenade kit is great. 5 different ones to throw.

Just gotta get the controls down to do it better.

Wish we could build the Team Fortress 2 sentry guns. LOL....

Talk about being OP....

The world we know is going away http://www.graystatemovie.com/
    Look up Agenda 21 as well.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Thinking about making this next or a warrior. I still havnt made any Alts yet. 

May do it once I reach the point I can make decend builds on my main with enough trait points to use..

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• GW2 engineer is not comparable to WAR engineer as far as class mechanics and playstyle

Also each class has alot of different playstyles to it.  A kit based engineer is quite different than a turret based one.

• KrossliteKrosslite Member Posts: 317

I have played both. Both had or have turrets. Both get a rifle. Now due to the mechanics of the game there are some differences. On the whole I woud say you will enjoy the one in GW2.

I find them similiar in the general over view.

A MMO is like life. It is something to cherish and enjoy upon in it journey. So why race to the end of it. In life at the end you die.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    I think you will. I definitely like GW2 engi so far (only L5 yet though :).

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

I've played both.  I much preferred Warhammer's version.  Not to say GW2's version is awful, just not nearly as fun nor as well rounded.

And I thought the exact opposite, guess we have a bit of different play styles. Lately I've been running around with pistol and shield, + flamethrower + mine + rocket turret. Gives me crazy amount control and damage.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by Kuinn

And I thought the exact opposite, guess we have a bit of different play styles. Lately I've been running around with pistol and shield, + flamethrower + mine + rocket turret. Gives me crazy amount control and damage.

In WAR you could make a full def engi and and use mostly those stunning land mines and pull. That was "crazy amount of control" indeed. But I'm not sure I want to deal with such guys again. :) Especially in a game without dedicated healers.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• Originally posted by Thornz2000

Engineer is FUN.

The grenade kit is great. 5 different ones to throw.

Just gotta get the controls down to do it better.

Wish we could build the Team Fortress 2 sentry guns. LOL....

Talk about being OP....

Not sure if this helps, but I found it easier when using the grenade kit to double tap the key for each skill which gives it the "quick cast" effect without having to turn on quick cast.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by wowfan1996
    Originally posted by Kuinn

In WAR you could make a full def engi and and use mostly those stunning land mines and pull. That was "crazy amount of control" indeed. But I'm not sure I want to deal with such guys again. :) Especially in a game without dedicated healers.

No seriously, if you want to frustrate some melee guy in PvP try pistol/shield + flamethrower + mine. Though in WAR melee was melee and ranged was ranged, unlike here, there's just professions and it's up to player how they want to roll.