Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Guild Wars 2 Get Game of the Year Award

SathnorSathnor Member Posts: 32
To make sure no one thinks I hate this game because of my other thread, I'm making this one! I personally think it will get GOTY award because it tries something new, not just one or two new things (TERA), but pretty much the whole thing is diffierent, and it succeeds at being different, (unlike FFXIV). What do you think?

Comments

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269

The whole thing is different?

Please tell me where a fantasy themepark with bright colors, classes, skill bar, and levels is different. Even the DEs are similar to systems in other games.

• SathnorSathnor Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by Melieza

The whole thing is different?

Please tell me where a fantasy themepark with bright colors, classes, skill bar, and levels is different. Even the DEs are similar to systems in other games.

Well I meant that a lot of things are different compared to games like WoW, sure Rift has dynamic events, Tera has dodging mechanics, SWTOR has different stories, but I have yet to see a game that has more than one or two different things about the game compared to WoW. This game also has things like underwater combat, slightly different questing, WvWvW pvp, scaling, two dungeon modes, no factions, you get what I mean (hopefully).

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269

If you're basing the award simply on originality, TSW wins hands down.

If you're basing it on MMO that has some differences but still caters to a wide audience because it feels familiar...then it goes to GW2.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

What does Game of the Year even mean?

It lets you point at the games that didn't recieve the title... and gloat?

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    It will win, easily.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

TSW will/must win the game of the year ,

• SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250

Not to burst your bubble OP, but while GW2 does many things right, I wouldn't say it was because they are making things so very different from everyone else.  If you like innovation you really should look at some of the indie titles like DayZ.

Is GW2 a well done game?  Sure.  But as everyone will tell you, this comes down to how well the title holds up in 3 months.  Is there end game?  Do people feel like it's worthwhile after 60?  It's a bit soon to predict, particularly as it techinically comes out tomorrow.

Also, while I personally didn't care for it, TSW wins on the try new things front.  I admire them for actually making a game where people have to learn about history and the world around them.

• SathnorSathnor Member Posts: 32
    I did say it did a lot of things different, but it also does a lot of them successfully while not breaking the simple things, which I heard TSW did, also TSW didn't do all their new things perfectly either I think. I like Guild Wars 2 because not only does it do things different, but it does everything right.
  • SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by Sathnor
    I did say it did a lot of things different, but it also does a lot of them successfully while not breaking the simple things, which I heard TSW did, also TSW didn't do all their new things perfectly either I think. I like Guild Wars 2 because not only does it do things different, but it does everything right.

Don't be silly.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673
    Originally posted by Sathnor
    To make sure no one thinks I hate this game because of my other thread, I'm making this one! I personally think it will get GOTY award because it tries something new, not just one or two new things (TERA), but pretty much the whole thing is diffierent, and it succeeds at being different, (unlike FFXIV). What do you think?

Winning game of the year where is the question.  and from my experience winning that award in many places don't mean much I've seen many games now considered horrible win that award like SWTOR last year.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I assume you mean MMO of the year?
  • QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    I assume you mean MMO of the year?

This.  

You can't possibly think GW2 will even come close to competing with non MMOs for GOTY award.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    It has to because everything else that was released this year was horrible. Skyrim would get GOTY hands down if released in 2012.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    MMO of the year, sure.  Nothing nearly as good came out in 2012.
  • TrunksZTrunksZ Member Posts: 263

Everyone knows that Diablo 3 will get GOTY award, I mean they sold 10 million copies.

In all seriousness I don't know if GW2 will win GOTY award but is the best 60$ I've spent this year in video games, so far... The reason I don't know if GW2 will win GOTY is because is too soon to tell, right now GW2 is FotM, it will remain in that position in the next 3-6 months to come?, only time will tell.

Also video games awards are a joke to me, I feel like some companies even payoff to get the tittle, they never match the peoples choice awards.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Honestly i think it will win because of timing. The golden Joystick is being cast now while the game is still fresh to everyone. it would be a actual contest if it voting began November or December when people have actually gotten their fill of the game.

TSW wont win for the following reasons.

1. Lol funcom - the majority of the MMO community can't get behind anything this company puts out no matter how good it was in the end. People who refuse to play the game period, wont be voting for it any time soon.

2. Fresh game lack of content -Content hasn't started rolling yet. TSW has had a single content update (seeing how its only been a month this is much better than any game has been able to do) so content is still on the small side but will ramp up with time, they already have new content planned well into 2013 and will be updating monthly.

3. GW Following - GW has a Following that could match most major IPs, We had no chance from the beginning. When you have people who would have voted GW2 as MMO of the year before it is even released, you get a game over.

4. People don't get it - i've seen plenty of people who judge the game by running though kingsmouth town. these are the people who say the game is Holy TrinityTastic, people see that and believe them. If you ask a TSW player what is required to run a Nightmare you will hear about Purging, Clensing, hindering and Impairs. you have to specialize in this form if you don't you will wipe alot.

I'm not saying GW2 is cheating or anything by their move, their move is a buisness decision. They want the title so they planned their release accordingly. but in the end, TSW players dont care about what MMO takes MMO of the year. We dont want to play GW2 for the same reason we dont want to play all the other MMO's. We are sick of Levels we are sick of Classes and we are sick of Fantasy MMO's in general.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• MystlynxMystlynx Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I would think it really depends on how long it takes them to clean up all the bugs in GW2.  Nothing is game breaking, but there are so many little things that you run into constantly.  Was expecting more polish with how everyone was talking.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Didn't SWTOR win this title last year? Nuff said

But I will say more. It's a meaningless title.

SWTOR beat Rift out on the title. But look how that turned out.

Game Of The Year, title is only another way of saying "most hyped up game of the year" nothing more.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Didn't SWTOR win this title last year? Nuff said

But I will say more. It's a meaningless title.

SWTOR beat Rift out on the title. But look how that turned out.

Game Of The Year, title is only another way of saying "most hyped up game of the year" nothing more.

^

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    So TSW is supposed to win GOTY while the devs are suffering financially because not enough people are playing it?  It's one thing to beat a dead horse but now people are saying we should hop on and take it for a ride?  LOL

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777
    Originally posted by FelixMajor
    It will win, easily.

This.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

If you're basing it on MMO that has some differences but still caters to a wide audience because it feels familiar...then it goes to GW2.

What? TSW? LOL. Ok I havent played it. But I have followed it and read what people have had to say. TSW is more of a baseline themepark MMO than any new one except for maybe SWTOR.  Should GW2 win? Hell I dont know. I'm enjoying it so far but its not as diffrent as some would want you to believe. But to say TSW is more original? Dont make me laugh.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by xenogias

What? TSW? LOL. Ok I havent played it. But I have followed it and read what people have had to say. TSW is more of a baseline themepark MMO than any new one except for maybe SWTOR.  Should GW2 win? Hell I dont know. I'm enjoying it so far but its not as diffrent as some would want you to believe. But to say TSW is more original? Dont make me laugh.

Maybe you should play it,  before making such a bogus claim.  TSW beats GW2 on originality, hands down.

As for GotY.  GW2 has little chance, given its a MMO.  It will probably win MMO of the year, but more due to timing than for what it is.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

What does Game of the Year even mean?

It lets you point at the games that didn't recieve the title... and gloat?

Usually some hyped game, which people stop playing a month later.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by grapevine

As for GotY.  GW2 has little chance, given its a MMO.  It will probably win MMO of the year, but more due to timing than for what it is.

Hey here's an idea.  Let's start discrediting it early so if it does win, we can say "yeah I told you so back in August".  It's not due to timing, it's the best MMO of the year.