Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mythic wants to make Ultima Online 2

12346»

Comments

• BrimstonelovBrimstonelov Member UncommonPosts: 17
    w

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Could be worse... like Cryptic wanting to make it into F2P...
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    "

Actually, 1 million steady subs would be over double what the most successful themepark MMO outside of WoW is reeling in. The themepark market is oversaturated, you don't seem to understand basic economics.

UO, Eve, SWG, all huge games, and sandbox. The market for these games is almost completely uncontested"

Yes...but why should Eve's players start playing a FANTASY game... Most of them seems pretty adamant on the whole free-form space thing IIRC... SWG's fans are not a particularly good bet either as the setting was what drew  a large chunk of them in to the game. And UO have what... 30K-40K users left.

You can simply not guarantee the all those players you call upon would play  the game. And even if they do 1 mil might beat out one Themepark.. But putting all the themeparks together(and i can do that since you lumped all the decent sandboxes together)  and you have a fart in space revenue wise.

Ofc you could make a Sci-Fi Ultima Online set in some far flung future, that might get some SWG and Eve vets playing it but i still do not know where you get your numbers from... This (in your mind) sureshot playerbase of 1 mil comes from where?

This have been a good conversation

• ChiramChiram Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Originally posted by tawess
    "

Actually, 1 million steady subs would be over double what the most successful themepark MMO outside of WoW is reeling in. The themepark market is oversaturated, you don't seem to understand basic economics.

UO, Eve, SWG, all huge games, and sandbox. The market for these games is almost completely uncontested"

Yes...but why should Eve's players start playing a FANTASY game... Most of them seems pretty adamant on the whole free-form space thing IIRC... SWG's fans are not a particularly good bet either as the setting was what drew  a large chunk of them in to the game. And UO have what... 30K-40K users left.

You can simply not guarantee the all those players you call upon would play  the game. And even if they do 1 mil might beat out one Themepark.. But putting all the themeparks together(and i can do that since you lumped all the decent sandboxes together)  and you have a fart in space revenue wise.

Ofc you could make a Sci-Fi Ultima Online set in some far flung future, that might get some SWG and Eve vets playing it but i still do not know where you get your numbers from... This (in your mind) sureshot playerbase of 1 mil comes from where?

It comes from the fact that there are numerous people out there, who love UO but aren't playing UO. Who would love to try a new, fresh, Ultima Online 2. It isn't just about transitioning who is currently playing UO or sandbox players.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

I, like most of the posters here, could never support another EA backed MMO, much less a sequel to UO2.

Yes, EA is a soulless marketing machine that butchers IPs and development houses, but more importantly THEY MAKE BAD GAMES

That is all

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

I'd rather have them cut loose from EA and fire up a kickstarter.

Untill then you will not shut up take my money.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Grixxitt

I, like most of the posters here, could never support another EA backed MMO, much less a sequel to UO2.

Yes, EA is a soulless marketing machine that butchers IPs and development houses, but more importantly THEY MAKE BAD GAMES

That is all

Not all of them.

Dead Space 1 & 2 are good games.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

That is all

Not all of them.

You mention those games every time there is an EA discussion, as if that somehow makes their games less terrible, or my statement somehow invalid.

The fact that those 2 games make such a small percentage of the games EA has done in house or published in the last few years should point more towards EA simply not being involved in the creative process or simply not figuring out a way to make said games suck than anything else. 

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

Loved UO played for Years on Lake Superior.

I dont think Mythic could do a good UO2. After War and SWTOR I will avoid any and all EA MMOs like the plague.

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by tawess
    "

Most people I know played those games because they were sandbox games, not because of the setting. and UO has 30k left because EA did their best to ruin the game over 7 years ago, same with Dark Age of Camelot. The oldschool open ended MMO market is HUGE, there is no denying that. There are millions of gamers out there waiting for a more hardcore MMO experience.

That is all

Not all of them.

Dead Space 1 was a decent game. DS2 was borderline boring action game.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I don't consider any company under the EA banner to be capable of developing a solid, sandbox title. Especially when one takes into consideration how badly they have ruined there own themepark mmorpgs.

I have zero confidence that they would make a quality product worthy of the IP.

No, you won't be getting my support.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

This is a company that has proven that once the game's profitablity drops, it goes to the back burner.

So even if they made the baest damned MMO since Ultima, Who cares? IT's not like it's ever going to get the love and attention it would need for years to follow.

Nah, I'll pass. I want to see a track record of a company taking care of it's title, a company that cares what it's players want and delivers.

Trion and ANET seem to fit that bill at the moment, but not EA, Funcom, Blizzard, SOE....Those guys can go and create the best games ever and I'd still know what their future holds.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

This is a company that has proven that once the game's profitablity drops, it goes to the back burner.

So even if they made the baest damned MMO since Ultima, Who cares? IT's not like it's ever going to get the love and attention it would need for years to follow.

Nah, I'll pass. I want to see a track record of a company taking care of it's title, a company that cares what it's players want and delivers.

Trion and ANET seem to fit that bill at the moment, but not EA, Funcom, Blizzard, SOE....Those guys can go and create the best games ever and I'd still know what their future holds.

Which company are you talking about? Mythic supports the shit out of their MMOs. EA doesn't.

DAoC has been updated and revamped so many times that it almost looks on par with modern MMOs, despite being made in 2001. Hell, some of the armors and character models DO look better than modern games.

Mythic, unfortunately, is under EA's yoke, and most of the more talented Mythic Entertainment folks left.

Originally posted by Tibernicus
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Which company are you talking about? Mythic supports the shit out of their MMOs. EA doesn't.

DAoC has been updated and revamped so many times that it almost looks on par with modern MMOs, despite being made in 2001. Hell, some of the armors and character models DO look better than modern games.

Mythic, unfortunately, is under EA's yoke, and most of the more talented Mythic Entertainment folks left.

You know that often repeated scene in zombie movies where one of the protagonists refuses to believe that their mother/father/loved one is a zombie, and gets eaten shortly thereafter?

Yeah...Mythic is not the company you've known and loved. Hell its not even Mythic anymore, they've changed their names to Bioware Mythic, and yes they want your brains (and wallets...)

-The MMO Forum Community

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Yeah...Mythic is not the company you've known and loved. Hell its not even Mythic anymore, they've changed their names to Bioware Mythic, and yes they want your brains (and wallets...)

I don't see how they can get into my wallet making a F2P game.

I don't see how they can get into my wallet making a F2P game.

What does F2P have to do with this discussion?

UO2 is not Ultima Forever. Also, DAOC, Warhammer, and UO (the MMOs actually under the Bioware-Mythic tag) all have subs last I checked

-The MMO Forum Community