Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: Honest Review from an Honest Guy

2»

Comments

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Jjix
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw
    You can't review an MMO before you spend at least 1-2 weeks at max level. Try again later.

[mod edit]

First off, there's been alot of valid critics of the game, but, alot of trolling and mindless hating aswell, and alot of blind fanboyism. (like all games)

But the reason why people say it's important to wait atleast a month is not because of hatred, but because this as been seen a million times before.

It's not a prediction of doom, or saying the game will fail, or whatever, since nobody can predict the future, but your behaviour is the exact same as the "fanboys" from other mmos, like TOR. Tons of people where singing praise in that game's name the first month of 2, but things began to change later on. Now, not saying GW2 will be another TORtanic, but it's an example of the importance of "wait and see" in the mmo world

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Will probably be able to buy the mats on the cash shop at some point...at the moment Arena Net are just nickle and diming players over bags.
  • MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Glad you like it OP but this game will be short lived real fast for most gamers. Once people reach max level real quick the replay value goes down hill because dynamic events become too repetitive too fast. Good for the moment and that is about it.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    whenever people start using the word honest a lot, it reminds me of used car salesmen.. image
  • Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572
    Originally posted by imagina

If you were honest, like any experienced mmo gamer here, you would have noticed the "limitations" of this game that makes it a free to play in disguise of a pay to play, because, face it, you will need your real money to "unlock" certain KEY features, like bank space slots, or inventory slots, and i see more of these key/important features coming in the near future, and just for this it is more than enough for me to state, that i'm not "okay" with the pay to play argument.

It's still a very good game, an i like it, but i see crystal clear where it's going.

Yup. It's hardly free to play. You will spending more money unlocking features and most people will probably end up spending more then the regular monthly subscription over time. Great model really, LotRO did it very well and it made them a fortune when they switched to that model. 

• ictownictown Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by jpnz

Levelled up an elementalist to 10 today.

Went in with no prep work at all, no preview read or understooding how GW2 worked.

I have to say, as someone who played EVE, WoW, SWTOR, RIFT, GW2 was a bit complicated for me.

What's that purple currency?

What's the 'combo field'?

Can I 'respec' in terms of my skills later on?

What's a 'bank' and where can I find it? <--- I admit this caught me by surprized as I couldn't mail my alts anything.

None was explained to me so while I am fumbling my way through, a tutorial section would have been really nice.

Game itself is good, enjoyed the heck out of it.

I can definitely see some issues for new players (esp if they come from WoW) though. Yeah, WoW is WoW, but they have a ridiculously good tutorial that is beyond every MMO out in the market right now.

Honestly, I don't know who missed this, but there is this annoying blinking tab top left - "hint section" that gives you all the answers you'll need. the tab blinks when yyour character is created or when hint popup shows up.

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

Played a game for seven hours, addicted.

Smoked pot for seven hours, addicted.

Not really sure you can be addicted to anything after such a little amount of time...

Hi

• grouchomarxgrouchomarx Member Posts: 19

One thing that is annoying is that I am now level 12 in Queensdale and out of quests to do and the next area is level 15.  So I now traveled to another starting area and am trying to find the correct level area (11-12) so I can do some more quests.  The first dungeon is at level 30 and in WoW it's level 15.  I wish they had some early level dungeons to grind out some levels in.  That's where I'm at right now.  Also, the gathering professions....why do I have to keep buying sickles to gather fruits and ore?  Lame.

No way to change the color of guild chat either.  The game needs some tweaks that's for sure.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by Randayn
    Originally posted by QSatu
    Someone said that in beta they needed 200h to get all the mats etc. to craft legendary weapon. So here's your "endgame" which is so needed for some of you.

200 hour of mat collecting sounds like a really exciting endgame...........................................

I will take this over 200 hundered hours of purple and orange gear grind any day.

Bite Me

• NewmoonNewmoon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Originally posted by Izik
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    Originally posted by Randayn
    Originally posted by QSatu
    Someone said that in beta they needed 200h to get all the mats etc. to craft legendary weapon. So here's your "endgame" which is so needed for some of you.

200 hour of mat collecting sounds like a really exciting endgame...........................................

I will take this over 200 hundered hours of purple and orange gear grind any day.

[mod edit]

Wrong. For gear grind, you can ONLY do the same dungeon over and over. For mats grind, they drop off nearly everything. Even better, you can farm cash/karma doing whatever the hell you feel like and buy the mats on the trading post. You can get it from just playing the game anyway you want to...

• monothmonoth Member Posts: 551

PCGamer preview stated that GW2 has no end game in it yet, that the developers are hoping to get it in before players hit top level, well you know how that goes when developers try to do this...  It usually ends pretty badly....

Personally I'm not feeling the dynamic events that much, just feels like they rip off Warhammer Online/Rift and have these events just keep recycling themselves over and over again, I've yet to find any decent story within these events... If anything the whole setup is very confusing and I think it's going to turn off a lot of new players to this game...  I kind of get the feeling that ArenaNet expects you to have played GW1 in order to know any of the back story of this game..   The whole thing feels messy to me..

For me the only thing I do enjoy is the combat, it's pretty cool the way your skill set changes based on your weapon... Been having fun experimenting with it...

In the end as many have said you really can't tell if a MMO is good or not until you've been at the top level for a few weeks, good example is SWTOR, early on I thought that game was awesome, had a lot of fun until I hit 50 and found myself completely bored.

Seems to me that all the newer games especially F2P games really put more effort into selling you crap in there cash shops then giving solid content...  So far GW2 has been ok, I'd give it 6/10 so far....  I'd give it 8/10 if the game didn't feel so chaotic and confusing...

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Anyone who has to say they're honest..... makes me nervous...lol
  • gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    I think anyone who writes a review now isn't giving the full picture. I'd suggest if you are already at lvl 17 in the game after 1 day of play then you may very well run out of things to do withing a few months. If you just move through the instanced zones systematically you level up very easily and hit most of the the content I have found. The storys are a bit generic also. The bugs hurt the game as does the instancing.I am enjoying playing GW2, but it isn't a perfect game and I can only see casual fun for myself in it.

i hit max lvl in gw1 the first month after release. i played it on and off 5 yrs since then, purchased all the expansions and later moved on to gw2. if the arenanet that made gw2 is the same arenanet that made gw1, then content and longevity is not going to be an issue.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by monoth

PCGamer preview stated that GW2 has no end game in it yet, that the developers are hoping to get it in before players hit top level, well you know how that goes when developers try to do this...  It usually ends pretty badly....

Personally I'm not feeling the dynamic events that much, just feels like they rip off Warhammer Online/Rift and have these events just keep recycling themselves over and over again, I've yet to find any decent story within these events... If anything the whole setup is very confusing and I think it's going to turn off a lot of new players to this game...  I kind of get the feeling that ArenaNet expects you to have played GW1 in order to know any of the back story of this game..   The whole thing feels messy to me..

For me the only thing I do enjoy is the combat, it's pretty cool the way your skill set changes based on your weapon... Been having fun experimenting with it...

In the end as many have said you really can't tell if a MMO is good or not until you've been at the top level for a few weeks, good example is SWTOR, early on I thought that game was awesome, had a lot of fun until I hit 50 and found myself completely bored.

Seems to me that all the newer games especially F2P games really put more effort into selling you crap in there cash shops then giving solid content...  So far GW2 has been ok, I'd give it 6/10 so far....  I'd give it 8/10 if the game didn't feel so chaotic and confusing...

don't follow the zerg and you will have a different experience. however, at times i do wish there was a zerg to help me because some things are super tough (this usually happens when i find myself wandering into an underground cave or something).

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Better be careful. MMORPG.com fires column writers for giving honest reviews. Remember that guy that gave SWTOR a 6? (or was it a 4?)
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Why are there not more dishonest reviews from dishonest people?

queue thread derail in 3.....2.....1.......

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

It's good you're having fun OP, but you, and honestly everyone, really should a wait a month and defenatly play the majority of the content, reach endgame, etc before making these "reviews" and impressions.

Nothing wrong with enjoying the game at all, but, yeah, that's my opinion.

BTW, they already they're planning to introduce guild halls and GVG after launch.

And on you comment on lack of communication, i think the problem others, like myself find is not during the actuall events, because, as you're right in saying, players are too busy fighting and dodging.

The problem i found, at least in beta (so, don't know how it's going on now) was that even after the events end, everybody just kept going in their own way to other place, without stopping to chat or communicate. BUt, that's other topic.

Have fun in-game OP image

I thought there was no end game?  Do you mean what people do when they reach 80?  Or something different?

If we are going to debate the 'rules' to reviewing an MMO, we should first start with the differences that GW2 introduces.  If there is no end game (as ANet themselves state) what do we have to wait for?  Seems to me the same things we are doing now we do after we reach 80.

Some people will love that, others will hate it.  Depends on what type of gamer you are.

GW2 isn't going to be for everyone...

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Agree with alot of that.

The music... yeah... I'd say if there was a "not really that special" part of the game, I'd say it's the music.  The sound FX are really good, though.  Pistols sound great, and you can hear them slap the leather when you holster them.  Sheathing your sword actually sounds like you're sheathing a sword rather than the usual sound:  opening a door in Star Trek.

Other than that, I'm still having a hard time finding anything remotely negative to say about this game. 

And I call myself a forum poster... :P

Edit:  OH WAIT!  I remembered something.  Please for the love of God I hope they stop prompting me, right in the middle of the screen to move from overflow to the main server.  Put a shiny indicator up by the map.  If I don't comply in, say, 20 seconds, then grab the next person in the queue.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

It's good you're having fun OP, but you, and honestly everyone, really should a wait a month and defenatly play the majority of the content, reach endgame, etc before making these "reviews" and impressions.

BTW, they already they're planning to introduce guild halls and GVG after launch.

And on you comment on lack of communication, i think the problem others, like myself find is not during the actuall events, because, as you're right in saying, players are too busy fighting and dodging.

The problem i found, at least in beta (so, don't know how it's going on now) was that even after the events end, everybody just kept going in their own way to other place, without stopping to chat or communicate. BUt, that's other topic.

I thought there was no end game?  Do you mean what people do when they reach 80?  Or something different?

If we are going to debate the 'rules' to reviewing an MMO, we should first start with the differences that GW2 introduces.  If there is no end game (as ANet themselves state) what do we have to wait for?  Seems to me the same things we are doing now we do after we reach 80.

Some people will love that, others will hate it.  Depends on what type of gamer you are.

I mean when you complete the majority of the leveling content, mostly refering to Orr. Even arenanet called it an endgame area. Basically, they plan for the players to keep running the, in their words, "spider-web of events" in that place, along with th 3 level 80 dungeons.

BTW, this is nothing against GW2, it's a themepark thing.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

I mean when you complete the majority of the leveling content, mostly refering to Orr. Even arenanet called it an endgame area. Basically, they plan for the players to keep running the, in their words, "spider-web of events" in that place, along with th 3 level 80 dungeons.

BTW, this is nothing against GW2, it's a themepark thing.

or any of the other dungeons since you scale down so thats 8 dungeons with 4 modes each.. plus Orr plus, pvp, plus crafting, plus enjoying alts. Plus trying to 100% the world map..  there is plenty to do in this game for people who enjoy whats there espeically for a themepark

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673
    Originally posted by DaezAster

Wait for a week and you will see 'i hit max level, i am bored because there is nothing to do. This game is fail' topics.

If you plan on playing one class one race and burning through pve only maybe. I do find you'r post amusing since you'r sporting the tsw templars logo for an avatar. I can see someone not liking the game but saying there will be nothing left to do in a weeks time is kind of crazy by any stretch imo....

Sorry to say but that's exactly what most people do in every single mmorpg that comes out and it doesn't seem to be a problem then.  Most people create a character become seriously attached to that toon and burn through to max level in a month or less then as we are already talking about all the "I'm bored" postings begin.

Evidence of this for me is in the fact that as an altaholic I still have yet to get a single character to max level in SWTOR but for me it's because I like to get attached to a GAME and not the character I create in that game.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Wait for a week and you will see 'i hit max level, i am bored because there is nothing to do. This game is fail' topics.

If you plan on playing one class one race and burning through pve only maybe. I do find you'r post amusing since you'r sporting the tsw templars logo for an avatar. I can see someone not liking the game but saying there will be nothing left to do in a weeks time is kind of crazy by any stretch imo....

Thats something a lot of people, especially the trolls who havent played it, dont get. Hell even with the same race and class, simply picking some different options at creation gives you a different experience via the personal story. Im not talking a few lines of dialogue changed here and there like most games but very different storylines, different quests in different locations with different tasks to perform and different characters. Then even within that theres choices to make that alte rthe story as well. Just as a small example youll complete a quest and be presented with an option like go hunt someone down and take revenge vs go rescue your friend somewhere else. Or ambush the group transporting the stolen item en route to their base vs wait until they get there and then sneak in and steal it when they thinks its safe.

So if people are simply picking 1 character and rushing through to max level and complaining theres nothing to do, theyre missing out on a huge portion of the game. Of course the average person isnt going to go through and play every class/race and differing background/storyline in the game, but its well worth it to try a few different things out and get in much more content than your typical MMO.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

Thats something a lot of people, especially the trolls who havent played it, dont get. Hell even with the same race and class, simply picking some different options at creation gives you a different experience via the personal story. Im not talking a few lines of dialogue changed here and there like most games but very different storylines, different quests in different locations with different tasks to perform and different characters. Then even within that theres choices to make that alte rthe story as well. Just as a small example youll complete a quest and be presented with an option like go hunt someone down and take revenge vs go rescue your friend somewhere else. Or ambush the group transporting the stolen item en route to their base vs wait until they get there and then sneak in and steal it when they thinks its safe.

So if people are simply picking 1 character and rushing through to max level and complaining theres nothing to do, theyre missing out on a huge portion of the game. Of course the average person isnt going to go through and play every class/race and differing background/storyline in the game, but its well worth it to try a few different things out and get in much more content than your typical MMO.

If and that's a pretty big if GW2 plays out like this then I would say kudos to them because this is exactly where BW dropped the ball with SWTOR, for other BW games the fals impression of choices making a difference wasn't as big a deal as it is in a n mmorpg which in general occupy infinitely more time than any offline game will do.

but again that's a big if do these different choices actually change what happens in your story down the line because if your choice to steal the item back or ambush them before they reach base simply leads to the same conclusion I don't see how or why that makes much of a difference at all.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by raistlinm
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

If and that's a pretty big if GW2 plays out like this then I would say kudos to them because this is exactly where BW dropped the ball with SWTOR, for other BW games the fals impression of choices making a difference wasn't as big a deal as it is in a n mmorpg which in general occupy infinitely more time than any offline game will do.

but again that's a big if do these different choices actually change what happens in your story down the line because if your choice to steal the item back or ambush them before they reach base simply leads to the same conclusion I don't see how or why that makes much of a difference at all.

Will be awhile until i can confirm just how much of an effect it has further into the story with playing different characters and all, but in one of the examples I gave of going after 1 guy vs saving your friend, your friend does die and is gone from the story. So Im assuming that this does have some impact on more stuff further down the line too.

**Spoiler alert**

To expand a bit more on some of the options too theres stuff like this. On an asura you pick a "school" that you belong to that specializes in different things. Regardless of which school you pick, you start off the story with a competetion of sorts for basically the best invention being held. Depending on which school you picked in your background options, your krew is presenting a different invention, which causes a different series of events to take place for several quests, including the fights being very different.

I have 2 asura right now, and with 1 of them we presented a teleportation device, which is stolen, then also used by the boss as their main weapon when you are trying to get it back, and you have to find a way to disable the device and then finish her off. (havent gotten much past this yet)

With my other asura i picked different options at the start and instead ended up presenting a device which tracks artifacts with magical energy. You end up discovering a special relic, and go through a series of events fighting with the Inquest over the relic pieces & the device. In the end you get all 3 pieces of the relic, which you find out is the key to unlock a legendary inventors hidden lab that nobody has been in for centuries. The lab is booby trapped and you have to get through the traps and then fight a boss at the end, different than the boss in the other story. (havent gotten much further than that)

So thats the 1st main chain of events. Then after completing that, depending on your options once againa new set of things starts taking place. As an example, i chose that my 1st invention was some sort of butler/valet golem. By choosing this option, i got presented with a storyline where my golem has gone berserk and murdered people. I have to stop the golem, and after I do I find that someone else had been messing with it and completely change dthe work, and now i set out to find out who, why, etc.... Had a chosen a different invention I would have had a different story taking place instead of the berserk golem being tampered with. (Btw, this also led me to a golem vs golem fight against a golem named OVR-9000 lol)

Anyway thtas just kind of showing how different things are depending on your choices early on. Im assuming by what ive seen so far this type of variety continues throughout the game, at least for quite awhile. Most likely there wont be a huge difference as you get towards the conclusion of the storylines and some final enemy thats behind everything, but ill have to wait and see for sure.

I was a huge fan of RPGss like Star Ocean with the multipl eendings, change sin dialogue and stories, etc depending on choices you made throughout the game. So stuff like this is a huge plus to me to have in GW2.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    I think anyone who writes a review now isn't giving the full picture. I'd suggest if you are already at lvl 17 in the game after 1 day of play then you may very well run out of things to do withing a few months. If you just move through the instanced zones systematically you level up very easily and hit most of the the content I have found. The storys are a bit generic also. The bugs hurt the game as does the instancing.I am enjoying playing GW2, but it isn't a perfect game and I can only see casual fun for myself in it.

This is true generally speaking. However, the OP seemed to put some sincerity into the "mini-review". As someone who has never participated in a GW2 beta, I have no reason to disbelieve the OP.