Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: It Never Takes Long - Level 80 Crafter Spotted

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMO Culture has spotted the first level 80 character in Guild Wars 2. According to the report, a player named "Surfeuze" hit the level cap through crafting only. Materials were supplied by guild mates. It never takes long, does it?

Read the full report at MMO Culture.

UPDATE: ArenaNet's Mike O'Brien has posted a shout out and an apology to Surfeuze on Reddit as "the first legitimate level 80" character:

Surfeuze played normal PvE content to level 60, although obviously racing past everything he could, and then leveled from 60 to 80 through crafting. His secret weapon was his strong team supplying him with crafting materials. That allowed him to jump ahead of everyone else in those last 20 levels.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Really is quite sad IMO but as long as they had fun congrats to them for their accomplishment!

• ClobClob Member Posts: 130
    Yeh for Surfeuze who now gets to continue to sit and craft stuff for guildees. 
  • CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Congrats to them and all. But really, no game should ever be designed that allows, by any means, people to level that fast.

What 43 hours in and L80, umm woohoo? And for their next trick?

Still remembering the EQ1 devs stating that no character could hit L50 in less than a year of gameplay, 3 months later they were having to eat a lot of crow.

13 years later and Devs still have no clue of what players can and will do...

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Happens in every mmo and next day they are forgotten.
  • DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

There really isn't anything wrong with being able to level this quickly - if you make it harder to level, then you put your "one year to level 80" crew into the "ten years to level 80" crew, and put your "two days to level 80" crew into the "two weeks to level 80" crew. That's a lot of damage to the game just to try and control a minority group of players from leveling too quickly.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468
    Well, if you consider the fact that his guildies were supplying him mats... this doesn't surprise me.     For anyone who has dabbled in crafting... imagine if you had 5x... 10x... 20x the number of mats you currently have.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

It's an error to design the game for the speed runners.  They are going to do that regardless, in whatever time frame they can.  Aim for the more reasonable center.

As long as the speed runners are having fun and not complaining about lack of content, no big problem.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Denambren

There really isn't anything wrong with being able to level this quickly - if you make it harder to level, then you put your "one year to level 80" crew into the "ten years to level 80" crew, and put your "two days to level 80" crew into the "two weeks to level 80" crew. That's a lot of damage to the game just to try and control a minority group of players from leveling too quickly.

Exactly, the extreme levelers will never be satisfied in a themepark game.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403

A little slow there Suzie_Ford seeing that was already spotted by others in the guild wars forum :P

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/362528/First-lvl-80.html

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    It's crafting, it's not like he played to lvl 80 doing quests and pvp etc. So he's a crafter, good for him.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Honestly, why even put levels in mmo's anymore.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

so in reality . it took a a whole guild (of 50 members first guild cap ) to level one character to lvl 80. ats how i see it.

<.<

end of story.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    People who wanted to be a crafter in game should be happy.

or simply he could of just gone into world pvp -and BAM! instant 80!....

these guys are silly.

level cap  dosent mean anything in this game, its explorations, personal story, and pvp!now caping your craftsmanship- well then congrats to that!v- nice to see theer is no first world names in GW2!- only mmorpg shout outs

• Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265

And some different person will chase the spotlight when an expansion increases the level cap to 85 or 90 or 100.  Someone who may take months to get to 80.

AN knew exactly how much XP someone could generate with all-out crafting, and didn't care to slow it down.  It doesn't bother me at all - why waste time trying to design gates, when it's futile in the end?  I'd rather see them design so it doesn't confer a major advantage to be at max level early, and I hope AN has pulled it off. 

That's what soured me on Tera so quickly, you can easily get left behind on the progression trail at max level, and there's a true boost to doin' it firstest.  I'd like GW2 not to go down that road.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Is there a non-crafter at L80 yet?  If not, then that shows you something.

Some of you are not thnking about how much easier it could potentially be to level up as a crafter in a game.  As mentioned, their entire guild was supplying materials for crafting.  If this is the case, this player probably didn't ever have to move.  They probably just sat there, crafting in one spot, while guildmates continues to pour in periodically with a stack of materials.  Where as leveling by other means, there is most definitely some down time.  Whether it be resting, in load screens, travelling, looting enemies that were killed and so on.  The crafter likely just has to press the same buttons over and over again without stopping.

It would kind of be like your guildmates aggroing mobs to your location and letting you kill them and take all the credit.  Or turning in quests without actually having to travel anywhere to do it.  I'm not really surprised.  It had to happen at some point.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Yep 3days to max is about right if you play that way.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I wonder what role cash played in this.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Update: According to a member of War Legend, Surfeuze did play the

game normally at times as well, hence his 80 levels were not solely from crafting.

hmmm-shame mmorpg.

<.<

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    This is in no way a big deal, or even remotely exciting, so stop making it out to be. 
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by CyclopsSlay

Congrats to them and all. But really, no game should ever be designed that allows, by any means, people to level that fast.

Why?

Why does every game have to be about grinding to a level cap?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231
    Originally posted by CyclopsSlay
    Still remembering the EQ1 devs stating that no character could hit L50 in less than a year of gameplay, 3 months later they were having to eat a lot of crow.

13 years later and Devs still have no clue of what players can and will do...

Very True,

Still there is a big difference in 3 months of pushing hard 18 hours a day, and 2 days .... my preference is the long journey, EQ Devs were right for people who played 5 or so hours a day, they werent expecting 18 hour a day pushes, but that says alot about EQ and how games should be, as far as leveling, only the die hard pushers can reach in 3 months and the rest take between that and a year. Id much prefer it.

less than 48 hours to level cap...its a freaking joke. 2 weeks to level cap is a joke. 7 days played time is a joke, its not hard, its quite simple. it has no rewarding feeling whatsoever. The journey is what is important and if the journey is over so fast, what does that say?

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Grats to him and the guild, but this sounds horrible to me. Guild Wars 2 kind of seems like one of those game you should want to play though without speed leveling to the cap... I guess I was wrong.

Smile

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Whats the big deal?

So they figured out the fastest way to hit lvl 80 and it wasnt even by experiancing the adventure content in the game. They had a guild grinding mat's so he could get to 80 through crafting.

Now maybe they can relax and enjoy the actual game.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

How did people gather the high level mats?  Doesn't crafting stop giving XP on low level stuff once you reach a certain skill?

If not that seems like a bad design..