Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Casual but ...

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

The best thing about this game is that its really casual but does not want to hold your hand. 

It reminds me of the exploration fun in some early MMOs it allows  me to go anywhere i want and just see what happens.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    I agree with this.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    for it being so "casual" lot seem to be freaking about it not holding their hands.. :)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

I call it casual hardcore.  I dont think I have ever died this much in an MMO ever!  And I am loving every minute of it.  I just figured out crafting and will look to create a bronze pistol tonight,  Or maybe I'll explore that lake I saw.  Or maybe Ill chase down the skritts.

So many choices!  Cant remember the last time I was this excited playing!

Game is amazing so far...

• ajayazirajayazir Member Posts: 108

very casual and single player driven for me, keeps you busy running around.

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    for it being so "casual" lot seem to be freaking about it not holding their hands.. :)

True.

I guess for some people casual means "combat not overwhelmingly hard" and/or "rewards players the most who have the most time to invest" -- i.e., "casual skill cap" or "casual time cap" type of perspective.  But it does seem like some of the least casual like a well-formed pathway to follow, which they can then follow in a hardcore/non-casual way.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Some people only know of a more "directed" MMO experience, they either never played the earlier titles or never really got into the Elder Scrolls titles with their more open style gameplay.

I think it's a pretty cool idea for ANET to take this approach, does sound like it makes exploring more realistic, which I'm always going to applaud in any title.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• destroyerdeedestroyerdee Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Love the game only thing I would consider the least bit ridiculous is Fire elemental .. that fight is just painfully absurd
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The best thing about this game is that its really casual but does not want to hold your hand. 

It reminds me of the exploration fun in some early MMOs it allows  me to go anywhere i want and just see what happens.

Exactly.

Casual dosen't have to mean dumb.

I am glad Anet get this :)

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

I call it casual hardcore.  I dont think I have ever died this much in an MMO ever!  And I am loving every minute of it.  I just figured out crafting and will look to create a bronze pistol tonight,  Or maybe I'll explore that lake I saw.  Or maybe Ill chase down the skritts.

So many choices!  Cant remember the last time I was this excited playing!

Game is amazing so far...

yea i been needing to rez people all the time espeically at the boss fights of the DEs.. I as well have died more in this game in the 1-15 zone than I have in any other MMOs starter zone before.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by destroyerdee
    Love the game only thing I would consider the least bit ridiculous is Fire elemental .. that fight is just painfully absurd

guild buddy did this last night thing took them about 30 min to take down

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I think GW2 is a mix of casual and hardcore elements.  If you want to just playing casually, running around doing hearts and the occasional DE...you can do that just fine, and you can do that to 80.

But if you want more of a challenge / hardcore experience there are...

1.  Jumping puzzles - These are hard...HARD.  Even moreso because you have to start at the freaking beginning if you fall.

2.  sPvP - Going to be very challenging once the more hardcore players start to work out optimal builds and tactics.

3.  WvW - Death penalty can be nasty when you have to walk across the whole map to get back, and you can very easily get wiped out by a superior force and there is nothing you can do about it.  Fairly hardcore.

4.  Veteran/Champion mobs - They are around, you can fight them if you dare :).

5.  Dungeons - Haven't done any yet, but I hear they are difficult.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Casual hardcore is a great desrciption of what it is.  Also when I moved up to the 15+ zones, I really got hit hard... get's much more difficult in some higher zones, you really need to know your class.
  • ManifoldManifold Member UncommonPosts: 29

EHHH, don't remind me! So much death... image

WildStar is like if Ratchet and Clank had a baby with Beyond Good & Evil and that baby was raised by World of Warcraft and Spore and babysat on the weekends by the aliens from Space Jam. It's an ugly bastard worth a few laughs but not much else.

Originally posted by gelraen
    Casual hardcore is a great desrciption of what it is.  Also when I moved up to the 15+ zones, I really got hit hard... get's much more difficult in some higher zones, you really need to know your class.

very true.. not sure how people can judge a games difficulty from just a starter zone.. but even the starter zones provide good challenges in some places

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by gelraen

very true.. not sure how people can judge a games difficulty from just a starter zone.. but even the starter zones provide good challenges in some places

Yep I agree...Morgan's Spiral / Dreamdark Enclave is enough challenge for me and that's in like a level 7 area.

I mean, I don't see how people could think that, that puzzle is not challenging...

1.  It's fairly long and has some difficult jumps.

2.  If you fall you may die and have to start all the way over.

3.  If you fall in dreamdark and survive, there are a bunch of veteran mobs wandering around waiting to kill you horribly.

4.  There are nasty poison things in the actually jumping puzzle that will try to kill you.

Yeah I think my hardcore craving is satiated lol :).  I fell so often that I became ridiculously good at Morgan's Spiral...I could almost just jump across the whole thing without stopping at one point.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    ANet turned the dial up just right on difficulty IMO. I have also died more than what's expected in a 1-15 level range heh.

I'm surprised at how much can be fit in to a short amount of time. I logged in to finish my daily and help repel bandits from a farm, kill some mobs for my 15 diffrerent count and then see centaurs attacking the guard post. Fight a few of those off, res the guards and finally get my 15th count. I was worried I was running late but it only took 15 minutes.
  • ajayazirajayazir Member Posts: 108
    low 40s here, haven't died all that much, downed state does get annoying.
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Some people only know of a more "directed" MMO experience, they either never played the earlier titles or never really got into the Elder Scrolls titles with their more open style gameplay.

I think it's a pretty cool idea for ANET to take this approach, does sound like it makes exploring more realistic, which I'm always going to applaud in any title.

GW2 does hold your hand, though, the dynamic events auto inform players in the zone and are pretty easy casual fair. If ArenaNet weren't holdin players hands then why is everything sign posted in the game? 

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

What about the Krait Witch in the Sylvari starter zone. No idea how to get it to spawn, as people were just spitting everywhere. Once it did spawn that witch would just one shot everything in sight. Sure it is probably possible to negate the damage by spamming it with Weakness, but no one really thinks to do that in the early levels.

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    I ve died a grand total of 2 times in 22 levels. Not hardcore by any means.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Deto123

You might as well mention what class you are. Some are much squishier than others in PvE and PvP depending on build.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

I don't consider the game hardcore, but that's not bad thing. The game is casual like most mmos, with it's fair share of challenges such as jumping puzzles, hard more dungeons, open world bosses and events that require multyple players, etc.

What i don't understand is why the Op says there's no hand holding. I get Dynamic Events are not about going from hub to hub, but exploring and finding them instead, but i find that a very simple exercise. Just take off in any direction (within your level area) and go around trying to find something. Use hearts to guide you. Simple in my book.

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by Deto123

You might as well mention what class you are. Some are much squishier than others in PvE and PvP depending on build.

Mainly GS Mesmer. Still , 2 times in 22 levels? Lol not hardcore at all. If I remember correctly my wife has died once in the same amount of levles as a necro.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I found that the hard to get to areas tended to be much more difficult in terms of mobs. After doing a jumping puzzle in the Sylvari area my reward was to enter a new area and get mauled by a pack of nasty wolves and explosive plants. Luckily there were some other players to help me out of the downed state, but the downed state was frequent for everyone in that area.

The mainstream areas are definitely tweaked on the easy side, but I think that is intentional.

• deamiandeamian Member UncommonPosts: 66

Very very well balanced, some skill point challenges will surprise the CRAP out of you, you can go to another starter area 1-15 and get great xp after you do your own starter area, and you will still get yourself into trouble FAST if you don't watch it lol.

PVP not sure yet:)