Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Excellent game. Too bad its unplayable.

13»

Comments

• RribRrib Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Tibernicus
    Originally posted by rojo6934

OP title is wrong..... An excelent game that is not playable is NOT excelent in any way......

it could have been excelent if SOE did it right..... but they messed it up

What are you all on about? I've been playing every night. Once a chunk crashed on me, ONCE in the last 2 weeks. Are you all starting on the horrible isle of dawn?

City of Tanvu. Guess you must be somewhere else ...

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

OP title is wrong..... An excelent game that is not playable is NOT excelent in any way......

What are you all on about? I've been playing every night. Once a chunk crashed on me, ONCE in the last 2 weeks. Are you all starting on the horrible isle of dawn?

I did. Why is it horrible? I thought this was the new and awesome welcome to the game newbie zone.

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Psychow

I did. Why is it horrible? I thought this was the new and awesome welcome to the game newbie zone.

It was probably the single biggest post launch mistake. Vanguard had a big download so they tried to make a tiny island to show off all the features really quickly... but the problem is the attraction of Vanguard was always the huge world and the subtle story and world feel.

The trial island gave everyone the wrong impression of the game. It was always better to start in the racial home city.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by alacres
    Originally posted by quasar941

This is pretty much my take on it too. Too many of the same bugs that killed VG when it was launched are still there. Huge performance issues even on very capable hardware, massive lag spikes, constantly crashing zones and broken quests are just a few of the things that make me not want to play this game.

I can only speak for myself, but using my newly built, midrange system (i5 3570K OC'ed 4.2, GTX 560ti 448 cores, 8GB 1600mhz RAM, and a 128GB Samsung 830 SSD), I've been able to run the game at maxed out settings with a very consistent 60fps, even in cities. To say that this game has "huge performance issues even on very capable hardware" is an exaggeration to say the least. It handles better than most mmos with graphics of this scale, at least in my experience.

It does have bugs and lag issues from time to time though. Hopefully, now that the game is getting some well-deserved attention, they will iron some of that stuff out soon.

Yea from the old forums and everything I have read, you need an SSD to play the game smoothly, it does not matter how good your system is without an SSD there will be lag

Originally posted by eddieg50

This is pretty much my take on it too. Too many of the same bugs that killed VG when it was launched are still there. Huge performance issues even on very capable hardware, massive lag spikes, constantly crashing zones and broken quests are just a few of the things that make me not want to play this game.

I can only speak for myself, but using my newly built, midrange system (i5 3570K OC'ed 4.2, GTX 560ti 448 cores, 8GB 1600mhz RAM, and a 128GB Samsung 830 SSD), I've been able to run the game at maxed out settings with a very consistent 60fps, even in cities. To say that this game has "huge performance issues even on very capable hardware" is an exaggeration to say the least. It handles better than most mmos with graphics of this scale, at least in my experience.

It does have bugs and lag issues from time to time though. Hopefully, now that the game is getting some well-deserved attention, they will iron some of that stuff out soon.

Yea from the old forums and everything I have read, you need an SSD to play the game smoothly, it does not matter how good your system is without an SSD there will be lag

Not quite. SSD helps with the loading between chunks, but everything else should run smoothly.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Not quite. SSD helps with the loading between chunks, but everything else should run smoothly.

It should run smoothly but it does'nt, anyway great game

It should run smoothly but it does'nt, anyway great game

<shrugs> did for me in 2007 and does for me now. I guess I"m just lucky?

Tonight, I'm happy to report I was able to craft for about an hour without problems
  • miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    I'm not here to fanboi it up but a LOT of the issues being mentioned in this thread, while not soley, appear to be related to the Isle of Dawn.  Everyone does know they revamped the other starting areas to provide basically the same starter experience as the Isle right?
  • sri_rishabhsri_rishabh Member Posts: 56

Stability and lag is top most priority for devs right now and they are actively working. Here are two latest threats from official forums ....things should be better in few days hopefully

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?topic_id=58605

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?topic_id=58610

Originally posted by miguksaram
    I'm not here to fanboi it up but a LOT of the issues being mentioned in this thread, while not soley, appear to be related to the Isle of Dawn.  Everyone does know they revamped the other starting areas to provide basically the same starter experience as the Isle right?

I have NOT been in Isle of Dawn since coming back. All my play is in the world.

Was able to craft this morning for about 45 minutes in Tanvu before the world crashed. World still crashing - log on and it crashes withing minutes. On 4th attempt.
  • sp1cexsp1cex Member UncommonPosts: 27

I dont like lag , but what i dont like MOST is that ALL my characters are gone after the maintenance...

And i was thinking that i have already seen all the cr*p that SOE can do...rofl

• quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159

Logged on this evening for the first time in 3 days. Played for about 10 minutes before everything froze and I ended up back at the character select screen. Logged back on 5 minutes later surrounded by hostile mobs *boom* dead. That was the 10th or 11th time I've tried to finish those quests in the storeroom in Tursh without lagging out and/or being dropped back to the login screen.

Some people don't seem to be having a problem with the game. Maybe the problem is just with that zone? Maybe it's only triggered by people playing halfling rogues while drinking Dr Pepper with a black and white cat curled around the base of the monitor with Right Said Fred playing on the radio? I dunno. I do know that the game really isn't playable for me at the moment. I'll try back in a few months to see if things improve. Until then, I'll stick to playing EQ2.

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

I purchased the collector's edition of this game a long time ago. I had played the beta, so I knew what I was getting into (so to speak), and I thought that the reason for the lag/disconects and overall bad client/server performance, was due to the server running some background debug mode. Game went live, and I was disappointed that everything continued just as before. Loved the game, but had to stop after a few weeks of trying because it just wasn't stable enough.

Not a problem though cause I was on the All Access Pass, so I thought of coming back to it at a later time. I never did, and eventually the other games in the AAP also bored me so I cancelled it.

A few years later Vanguard goes F2P, and I feel: a few years is enough for them to have fixed whatever issues the game had...

What have the devs been doing all these years? Seriously? I still really like the game, but I hate the way they do chunking, the server instabilities, the huge lag spikes... If this game would fix the performance issues, it would be one of the top games out there.

Another thing that just took the wind out of me was the P2W cash shop. Gear should never be just bought for cash. Sigh... the game was/is fun, but it is still unplayable.

The community though... WOW. Best community ever. It seems that since the game requires so much patience to enjoy that the only people left playing the game are the absolute best gamers in existance. Courteous, helpful, and as far from elitist as you can see. I might continue to play the game, just for the community... and that says TONS about their quality, that i;d be willing to overlook such blatant flaws because of it.

• zarawerzarawer Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Originally posted by Sephastus

Another thing that just took the wind out of me was the P2W cash shop. Gear should never be just bought for cash.

How do you pay to win in a PVE only game?

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by zarawer

Another thing that just took the wind out of me was the P2W cash shop. Gear should never be just bought for cash.

How do you pay to win in a PVE only game?

PvE = Player VS enviroment, which suggest you as a player is playing against something. If you are playing against something, it would suggest you can win or lose.

If you can buy gear that will make it easy to win then it has a popular catchphrase of pay to win or P2W

The question you should be asking instead is... why does that matter?

Take a note from real life. Some people don't like that others can pay to get ahead and others don't care. Don't try and figure out why, because you are one of those average forumgoers where "if I don't feel that way, it's either wrong or weird"

Another thing that just took the wind out of me was the P2W cash shop. Gear should never be just bought for cash. Sigh... the game was/is fun, but it is still unplayable.

By no stretch of the imagination can the gear they are are currently selling in the shop be considered p2w.

What have the devs been doing all these years? Seriously?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm about ready to give up again too! I've had a computer upgrade so I was ABLE to play this time but all the same lazy, crap bugs are still there from 3 years ago. For me, the sloppy programming really gets old after awhile. Maybe I'll wait a few months and see if they intend to fix any of it.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

By no stretch of the imagination can the gear they are are currently selling in the shop be considered p2w.

To me, selling gear with significant stats, let alone yellow gear, is the very definition of p2w.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    I agree with the OP. I want to love this game so badly. I bought a month sub, and have been trying to get back into it. Unfortunately, the game is barely any better than it was at it's botched launch. Lag is at an unplayable level, and chunks are dropping so regularly that you cannot craft, or do anything worthwhile. It's pretty clear that all the fanfare surrounding the FTP "relaunch" was just to squeeze a last few dollars out of it while they can. If there were any way to fix this trainwreck, they surely would have done it before they started re-hyping it, right? 

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by quasar941   Originally posted by Sephastus Another thing that just took the wind out of me was the P2W cash shop. Gear should never be just bought for cash. Sigh... the game was/is fun, but it is still unplayable.    
    To me, selling gear with significant stats, let alone yellow gear, is the very definition of p2w.

The stats on the gear in the item ship are in no way significant. Even the stuff that you get as a reward for doing normal quests is much better. IN other words, there is no advantage whatsoever to using the item shop gear over the free stuff you get by questing and that's pretty much bottom of the barrel as far as gear goes.

• Stryx74Stryx74 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by ironhelix
     It's pretty clear that all the fanfare surrounding the FTP "relaunch" was just to squeeze a last few dollars out of it while they can. If there were any way to fix this trainwreck, they surely would have done it before they started re-hyping it, right? 

I'm finding it hard to think of another reason myself. It just doesnt make any sense to reintroduce the game, knowing it's broken, and make no attempt to fix it prior to relaunch. I've popped in and out since F2P and genuinely like the game, but I can't play without regular lag pauses and being booted back to character select every 15 minutes or so, and thats not even on the island. I'll bet whoever was responsible for writing that engine's code does not include it on their resume. "Quite impressive credentials Mr. Jones, but what were you doing during this 2002-2007 gap?" "Uhhh, caring for my sick grandmother?"

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

I've returned and have experienced a few lag spikes in and around major population centers, but nothing too bad.  I haven't yet raided, but have heard from a couple friends that one raid can be completely unplayable and the next time it'll be completely lag free.

On a side note... it was very cool to see 450 people online at 4:30pm CST.  Even cooler was after 1.5 years of retirement, I still recognized so many familar people.