Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No risk. No reward. What's the point?

13»

Comments

• VoltjeVoltje Member Posts: 20

Il keep it short and simple : have a cookie.

There you have your reward, now be gone. Plz take a look to the other games out there and realize you have an mmo burnout. 

[CENTER]image

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by BruceYee

Before I start I have to say that if you're having fun playing the game and have found your new home then I am happy for you and wish you nothing but the best.

That being said, I must get a couple things off my chest about the game and I am pretty sure that this is my last post here because I will probably be hunted by GW2 fans on this board until the end of time after posting this.

I am having a problem understanding what the point of playing this game is besides brief moments of joy felt when killing other players in evenly matched pvp situations outside of the usual zerg fests.

To me an MMORPG should give you something to look forward to (goals) even if they do not come in the form of loot or titles or achievements etc. Over the BWE's and since the headstart began I don't really see anything that has presented itself as a real goal. Maybe I'm missing it?

Dynamic events to me are a cluster@#!% with so many players and spells going off that I can't tell what I'm hitting or the guy next to me is hitting. I have two decent computers and have played on both so I know that it's not a hardware issue. Also, the Dynamic Events in many zones seem reused with things to do like "click on yam" but in another zone it's "click on hole" and something happens etc etc. Either way it seems very basic to me and gets repetitive very quickly.

Gear doesn't matter and there is nothing unique about player charecters? I'm not a fan of gear grinds at all but gear does make a charecter feel unique and is kind of your visual resume when it comes to player interaction.

The community is...non-existant? If you're standing around 100 people but no one says anything does that count as a community? I have yet to experience a situation where it is vital to communicate with another player for any reason.

This feels like a single player game to me, even more so than SWTOR *holds up pot cover to block incoming @#!%*.

I get the whole GW1 pvp aspect of it where you log in with a group of friends + get on vent and pvp but is this the game's main selling point?

What am I not seeing?

P.S. I would also like to add that I purchased the deluxe edition and have no regrets about it seeing as the money is going to a good company and for a BTP game is a good deal imo.

Now is that an obscure sig pic or what ...from the movie They LIve that pic is from the ally fight scene when he first met the black guy.

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

mindless fun, that's why you play games like GW2. same as team fortress and CoD. when you want to just jump in have a few fights and log out. that's what this game is made for.

if you want deep mechanics with high risk pvp, intricate politics and a living persistant changable world you go play EvE or DF. those are game you "live in"..... in GW2 you plug in, have some quick fun, plug out.

That's my take on GW2 good honest casual fun, but play other games for serious challenges.

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    "The community is...non-existant? If you're standing around 100 people but no one says anything does that count as a community? I have yet to experience a situation where it is vital to communicate with another player for any reason."

Quoted from the OP. I had that same impression.

Up until now (level 16) the dialogues do feel painfully "school-play" amateurish.

I will persevere and push on to 30 as best as I can, maybe they'll get better.
  • DarnRightDarnRight Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by Lydon

"I am having a problem understanding what the point of playing this game is..."

I honestly don't get posts like these. Surely the point of playing games is to have fun? Why do I need to have a carrot on a stick dangled in front of me to have fun? Surely I can appreciate the beautiful world, the storyliens, the fast-paced combat, the evenly-matched PvP and a whole lot more without there needing to be risk and/or reward?

I may as well be sitting in the office earning real money in terms of reward if I'm going to turn playing into a chore.

I agree, what's the point to any game? I mean if we're going to tear it down to the parts, what's the point to life?

Honestly, I am not sure what people are looking for. For myself it's all about entertainment and I am entertained.

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

To kill the elder dragons and save the world? That's not a lofty goal worth achieving?

What about collecting all the traits, skills, achievements, weapons, and armor?

No risk? Have you tried any dungeons yet? They are very challenging and you'll need to really learn to play well. How about becoming a highly skilled player? That seems like a pretty good goal to me, as well.

Enjoying yourself with friends? Meeting new people? The original poster mentioned 100 people standing around not talking to each other...so why didn't you start a conversation? ArenaNet brought you to the water, but you have to drink it.

This game isn't going to FORCE you to do anything. There are a myriad of choices and it's free and open for you to choose what you want to do. If you choose not to be social, the game isn't going to require it. Some people see it as a casual, shallow game...because that's how they choose to see it and play it, and that's totally their prerogative. The depth and challenge and goals are there if you choose to really get into the game. You can have a little skill and get by, or get really skilled and knowledgeable about your profession and take it to a whole different level.

Or you can go find a game that forces you to do things. Always your choice. =)

• SnarkRitterSnarkRitter Member Posts: 316

Pretty sure there're loads and loads of rewards in the game, just that they're all cosmetic.

Seems to me the OP doesn't even know what he's talking about , and people who reply to this thread don't even read the post.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by Lydon

"I am having a problem understanding what the point of playing this game is..."

I honestly don't get posts like these. Surely the point of playing games is to have fun? Why do I need to have a carrot on a stick dangled in front of me to have fun? Surely I can appreciate the beautiful world, the storyliens, the fast-paced combat, the evenly-matched PvP and a whole lot more without there needing to be risk and/or reward?

I may as well be sitting in the office earning real money in terms of reward if I'm going to turn playing into a chore.

No one has fun playing MMOs.

You want fun? play single player game! 

Here we work for goals, work, work, work, worK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thousands of hours for weapon sp i can play thousands of hours more for new weapon so i can stand in city looking hawt!

:)

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I don't think I've ever played an MMORPG where I've been rewarded more than in GW2. Ever. When it comes to risk, I've also died more in this game than most other MMORPGs. Particularly, themepark MMORPGs.

I don't know what games he's been playing where there was some extreme risk/reward system in place, but the only one that I've played is EVE. And even then, isk is easy as hell to come by. But really they are completely different types of games.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Naqaj

What you're not seeing is that there are different types of MMO players, and the ones that enjoy Guild Wars 2 are those that don't need a long-term goal, but simply enjoy playing right now. 

If you've played the game yourself, and really found it to be not enjoyable, that's ok. Noone is going to hunt you down for that. You'll just have to move on to whatever comes next. Maybe it's the right MMO for you.

imageimage Well said, Naqaj.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

As a solo player, what i like about gw2 is the ability to jump in and able to do group contents. If they have added, say epic gears, being given , than it will make me, and maybe some players more willing to log in. Since there's no more exact numbers of players or class you can bring to do an event.

I hate to raid too, but this game that offer no restriction should give some form of gear progression.

Another thing is, ever since wow, the risk factors of themepark mmo is close to non-existent. No longer will you lose the hours of xp which you have grind when you die. I still think that some form of punishments is needed for a game, thus making it more exciting and you have to be careful when engaging mobs, rather than now, so what if i die 50 times?

Although fun is different for different players, but a game without end-game goals, wont hold players for long. Without the carrot, players when reach level caps will just leave and wait for the next contents patch to come back.

And when players pop starts to dwell, this games which needs high pops to substain its WvW, will suffer as well....

You may have fun now, but how will you still feel once you reach level cap?

TLDR ver: In short, a game needs some form of carrots to hold on to players, some form of risk to make it exciting when playing, yet without letting players feel that its such a grind. GW2 have this opportunity.

Just my personal opinion.

RIP Orc Choppa

• NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76

Didn't the "golden age" of MMOs and RPG gaming in general provide no carrots in a sense? Didn't we as the players have to provide most of our own entertainment or goals? I mean I have a character who I was just putzing around with and then I learned about cooking. My goal with this character is to now go out, kill shit, and eat it.

Maybe what's lacking is your imagination?

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

The thing I really like about the whole setup for GW2 is that  a person doesn't have to spend their time worrying about other people.  I used to enjoy helping people, and talking with people, and being somewhat social in my mmo's, but I am sick and tired of having to worry about them. This has pushed me to be a solo mmo player. If I join up for a raid, then I need to set a specific time where I can be devoted to the game and out of courtesy for the other people I need to avoid bathroom breaks, phone calls, and real life in general. Even if I'm in a group, I can't just up and leave because something happens.  Well screw that. If I'm playing in GW2 I can walk away without hesitation.  If my daughter asks me a question, I can stop and take time for her without caring what happens in the game.  I can play as I want to play, without worrying about a stupid game controlling my life. 

If that doesn't work for people who need to be under the thumb of a videogame so they can feel there is a reason to playing, then I hope them well for finding a different game and thank them for moving on.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Originally posted by dbgager
    Sounds to me like you really have not experienced much of the game..All your doing is dynamic events. There is a lot more to the game than that.

Sounds to me the OP hit the nail on the head yet again. Everyone wears the same gear, noone is unique, dynamic events are a zergfest and the game was built around a single player experience with an option for multiplayer. It is a very bad mmo design.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by eyelolled

The thing I really like about the whole setup for GW2 is that  a person doesn't have to spend their time worrying about other people.  I used to enjoy helping people, and talking with people, and being somewhat social in my mmo's, but I am sick and tired of having to worry about them. This has pushed me to be a solo mmo player. If I join up for a raid, then I need to set a specific time where I can be devoted to the game and out of courtesy for the other people I need to avoid bathroom breaks, phone calls, and real life in general. Even if I'm in a group, I can't just up and leave because something happens.  Well screw that. If I'm playing in GW2 I can walk away without hesitation.  If my daughter asks me a question, I can stop and take time for her without caring what happens in the game.  I can play as I want to play, without worrying about a stupid game controlling my life. 

If that doesn't work for people who need to be under the thumb of a videogame so they can feel there is a reason to playing, then I hope them well for finding a different game and thank them for moving on.

Not true since a major part of Guild Wars 2 is based around that none of the participants should go afk during a fight: Structured PvP. Also World vs World to a certain extent.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

edit:  nm - rather stay out of this debate

• xx19kilosoldxx19kilosold Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by Mephster
    Sounds to me like you really have not experienced much of the game..All your doing is dynamic events. There is a lot more to the game than that.

Sounds to me the OP hit the nail on the head yet again. Everyone wears the same gear, noone is unique, dynamic events are a zergfest and the game was built around a single player experience with an option for multiplayer. It is a very bad mmo design.

Yes, I agree. Its a fun game but will not retain any meaningfull community past a couple of months.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Not true since a major part of Guild Wars 2 is based around that none of the participants should go afk during a fight: Structured PvP. Also World vs World to a certain extent.

You misunderstand what I said.

Try it like this;

Out of all the things that I like about GW2, the fact that I don't have to spend my time worrying about other people is what I like best.

Not;

For all the things in GW2, I don't have to spend my time worrying about other people.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Calhoun619Calhoun619 Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by ianicus
    I can appreceiat the OP's sentiment, I myself am getting a little bored of the game myself. I wasnt a fan of GW, and GW2 is feeling awfully similar.

Im sorry but I played GW1 alot and I think its ridiculous to claim GW2 is anything at all like GW1. I have heard a new version of a GW1 song in GW2 and some of the same classes but thats where the similarities end.

I dont mind if you hate GW2, I didnt make the game im just playing it. But come on its nothing like GW1 and you know it.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by xx19kilosold

Yes, I agree. Its a fun game but will not retain any meaningfull community past a couple of months.

I disagree with your prediction, I believe the Structured PvP community will be meaningful past a couple of months for the same reason League of Legends is popular. I believe the World vs World community is in the risk zone and so is the PvE community. 

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by xx19kilosold

I disagree with your prediction, I believe the Structured PvP community will be meaningful past a couple of months for the same reason League of Legends is popular. I believe the World vs World community is in the risk zone and so is the PvE community. 

Imma partially disagree with you here. I think the WvW is going to be the one thing that will keep peopel coming back for more in GW2. It is the one thing that made DAoC what it was, and the WvW here has the same potential. Structured PvP is nothing more than another FPS ranking system in instances, it is its own little world, with its own rewards, its own ranks, and its own gear, it might as well be its own game on the side. To think it could survive without the rest of GW2 is crazy talk.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)